GTPlanet Worldwide Time Attack Challenge Season 3 Final Week: Classic Honda Challenge

• Thread starter Glubags
  • 380 comments
These N3 tires are definitely going to take some getting used to! You've really got to brake early to nail the turn-in off the brakes, otherwise it's understeering off the track... and you've gotta modulate the throttle well to keep traction and momentum. I love it.

And yeah, I'm loving the S800s. The race version was much quicker than I imagined it'd be.

hehe, so Glubags you WILL be joining in the rubber burning fun, as well as managing director of TAC: Season 3. ;)

And on another note, is motorland reverse the designated practice track..... or just yours and whoever else wants to have a go. I just want to use the same tracks for comparison.

I did a few laps in a couple of cars too. The IS200 is absolutely awful stock, but I'm sure with some tuning I'll figure something out. The FIT racecar is pretty nice - I got about the same times as the S800 Race car, which by the way, is totally awesome. I did about 5 laps in the Jazz, Fit Racecar, and IS200, and about 500 laps in the S800s :lol:

How'd you get that records screen Glubags? Or is it just a merge of a couple shots of the race screen?

I just merged three pictures from my cell phone in MS Paint. :)

hehe, so Glubags you WILL be joining in the rubber burning fun, as well as managing director of TAC: Season 3. ;)
I'll put in some times when I can, but nothing like the serious efforts I put into seasons 1 and 2. :)

Here's my times so far:
Code:
Subaru IMPREZA Super Touring Car			0'40.633
Clio Renault Sport Trophy Race Car '00			0'42.346
Lexus IS 200 GT-1 Race Car '04				0'43.181
Spoon FIT Race Car '03					0'45.849
Honda S800 RSC Race Car '68				0'46.903
Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi Version (Type-I) '00	0'49.561
Clio Renault Sport V6 24V '00				0'51.486
Lexus IS 200 (J) '98					0'53.102
Honda JAZZ 1.4 DSi SE Sport '01				0'53.299
Honda S800 '66						0'57.221

I couldn't run just 3 laps at a time, I must have done each car for at least 20 minutes. I'm tempted to leave all the cars stock, unless I'm sure tuning it will make it faster.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to clear the Records screen, in case I want to run other cars at the track?

I don't think N3's have enough grip, I use them for drifting all the time because of how little they have, only just enough for some control while drifting, not suitable for actual speeds.

It is pretty tricky, but definitely possible. I got some practice racing with N3s while trying to collect all the cars, but jeez, the Jazz really wants to go in a straight line. :lol:

Just a word of warning, do not attempt to set times while in an actual moving vehicle. You will drive straight off the road right on the last corner. Trust me.

I'm having fun at least. Can't wait for the first challenge! :)

There are so many options when it comes to themed time attack challenges... just one more reason to love the enormous car selection.

That's so true ! I wanted to give you some TAC ideas/themes I had for the french community and I won't use them (have to think about the tracks for the combo though ...):
- European cars in Europe / Jpn jpn / etc. (did this one, but not finished though)
- Concept Cars in GT original circuits (reverse) (cause we don't drive them that much)
- LM Cars challenge in real circuit
- Tourning Cars challenge
- Type R challenge
- GT challenge
- '00 cars challenge
- To stay in this TAC spirit : Sister Sister Challenge (less HP + more HP of the same car dealer VS another one / or oldest + newest VS oldest + newest)
- Same family car dealers challenge : e.g. Lexus VS Nissan
- German challenge : BMW / Mercedes / Audi / VW / RUF / Opel (+Vauxhall)
- Eur VS US / Eur VS Jpn / US VS Jpn (same HP)

And I can't remember the other ones... Well... They are just ideas, might be bad too :sly: !

So let's try those cars at Motorland !!!

EDIT : I just ran the 3 no tuning no assits laps (but I had a little experience with this circuit cause we had a challenge on it, so I rememdered some corners) and here they are :
Code:
Subaru IMPREZA Super Touring Car			0'41.679
Clio Renault Sport Trophy Race Car '00			0'42.089
Lexus IS 200 GT-1 Race Car '04				0'42.835
Spoon FIT Race Car '03					0'46.677
Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi Version (Type-I) '00	0'50.314
Honda S800 RSC Race Car '68				0'51.048 
Clio Renault Sport V6 24V '00				0'52.743
Honda JAZZ 1.4 DSi SE Sport '01				0'54.012 
Lexus IS 200 (J) '98					0'54.740
Honda S800 '66						0'57.477

Not a fan of the Honda JAZZ 1.4 DSi SE Sport '01 -this auto gear, like the GT by Citroen, is too weird for me- and the Lexus IS 200 (J) '98 -way too much oversteer, hope to find the right tuning- but will be great experience to run with those ones...

Have a nice day !

Last edited:
Another fun challenge would be '276hp' showdown!

Also, wow: The Evo VI RS TME has 312hp and weighs 1260 kilos. I'm in love.

I'm diggin' the N3 tires... they add a new level of challenge and realism to the competition.

I tried out the two Lexus IS 200's last night for a bit. The stock one is a real pain to keep on the tarmac. It will take a bit of time to learn at just what speeds it can handle certain turns. The race version is nice - as I expected. I'd post my times for those two, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

I do remember that I took the 1968 Honda S800 race car out for a few more spins around the track (it's such a pleasure to drive) and was able to reduce my time to 0'46.2xx.

I don't think N3's have enough grip, I use them for drifting all the time because of how little they have, only just enough for some control while drifting, not suitable for actual speeds.

No disrespect intended here, but I think you may be too accustomed to video game speeds rather than realistic speeds for these stock cars. I feel the N3 tires really give these cars the level of grip they'd have off the showroom floor with factory tires, and despite the lack of analog controls, they provide a very good sense of the cars' actual handling characteristics. The IS200 is a perfect example; if you brake too hard and transfer a ton of weight to the front while turning in, and get on the throttle hard before allowing the car to settle, you'll have your hands full of opposite lock. However, if you brake early, release the brakes, turn in gently (tap-tap-tap-hold to full lock if you're using the d-pad), wait until the car's weight is a bit more settled and you've got the apex lined up, THEN gently get on the power (tap-tap-tap-hold to full throttle) while allowing the front wheels to slowly come back to center (which again may require some tapping in the direction of the corner if you're using the d-pad to slow the front wheel's automatic re-centering), you'll find that it sticks and goes with very little oversteer, just like it should.

The biggest drawback is the lack of analog controls. But with some patience and practice, you can effectively overcome it.

Also, one little trick I've found is that it's very helpful to pay attention to the speedometer while you're exiting corners when you first begin putting a car around a certain track. See, in a real car, spinning the tires causes the speedometer to jump up and report a speed faster than you're actually moving. In the game, however, the speedometer always accurately reports the speed of the car itself--i.e. it's not based on the speed of the tires' rotation. So when you're spinning the tires while exiting a corner and losing or maintaining momentum rather than accelerating, the speedo will actually show the drop in speed or the maintained speed. You may not be able to hear the tires slipping in-game, but if you're holding the throttle on a corner exit and gaining no speed, you can rest assured you've exceeded the tires' limits of grip. A couple of corners like that can take tenths off of a good lap, and it's sometimes hard to notice, especially if you're only exceeding the limits of the tire by a fraction of a percent. The Miata/Trial Mountain challenge from Season 2 was the perfect showcase of this effect. So keep an eye on the speedometer and learn how much you can push the cars before you cross that peak of handling performance and begin losing or maintaining your speed instead of cleanly accelerating out of a corner. This will help drop your lap times significantly, and will help what you may have thought to be an awful car become much more predictable and enjoyable.

I realize this was a bit long and ramble-ish, but I hope it helps you guys who may feel the N3 tires aren't grippy enough. If that's the way you feel, I'd be willing to bet serious cash that you're just trying to take the corners at unreasonable speeds. If you nail a corner perfectly on N3s, take a look at your replay. Looks very realistic, eh? :)

Edit:
I'm diggin' the N3 tires... they add a new level of challenge and realism to the competition.

I tried out the two Lexus IS 200's last night for a bit. The stock one is a real pain to keep on the tarmac. It will take a bit of time to learn at just what speeds it can handle certain turns.

Basically read my mind. 👍

I got the two modern Hondas, and I must say, I DONT HAVE TIME FOR 99HP. :lol:

I guess the Jazz is fine, though... It certainly trounces all other comparable cars in single race! Actually, I remember in GT4, that car tuned to 186hp was bloody fast. Still just as understeering, though; you've really got to get on the throttle early to let it 'downshift.' Hooray/boo for CVT.

The Spoon Fit, on the other hand, is pretty delightful. The acceleration is just right for technical tracks, the steering response sharp, and there's no silly oversteer malarchy here- simply composure. A mega-rough laptime of 57.2 is quite embarassing, but I literally lost control twice, so I'm not that bothered.

Off-topic: Is there any car on which you can adjust the power and/or weight?

Great! Count me in! Gotta get those cars now. I really like the idea of making it more realistic with the N3 tires, good thinking Glubags.

Oh BTW, congrads on your win in last season Glubags and also to Detroitbb and especially Pitch who only joined in round 4, well done catching up to the podium. Hopefully I'll be able to have an uninterrupted season this time.

Off-topic: Is there any car on which you can adjust the power and/or weight?

Those options are only available when running the Drift Trial mode, never in the Time Trial mode, and are available on all cars. 👍

Those options are only available when running the Drift Trial mode, never in the Time Trial mode, and are available on all cars. 👍

Even so, I messed around with the S800 Race Car last night on Suzuka and it drifts pretty well even with the max hp boost. I believe its only like 115-125hp.

Yeah, it's so lightweight and balanced... it's perfect.

The local Honda dealership here, McConnell Honda, has a small grass field behind it with a lot of old Honda's rusting away, and there's a white S600 or S500 back there. I asked one of the sales reps if they'd be willing to sell any of those cars, and I was told they were all property of Mr. McConnel and he had no intention of selling them. :( They're just sitting there. He also owns a red '91 NSX with ridiculously low mileage in beautiful condition... another car "never to be sold."

Sigh.

Haha that sounds like the dealership in San Diego. The owner lives 5 minutes away and I always see him driving his old NSX around town.

Here's my times so far:
Code:
Subaru IMPREZA Super Touring Car			0'40.633
Clio Renault Sport Trophy Race Car '00			0'42.346
Lexus IS 200 GT-1 Race Car '04				0'43.181
Spoon FIT Race Car '03					0'45.849
Honda S800 RSC Race Car '68				0'46.903
Subaru IMPREZA Sedan WRX STi Version (Type-I) '00	0'49.561
Clio Renault Sport V6 24V '00				0'51.486
Lexus IS 200 (J) '98					0'53.102
Honda JAZZ 1.4 DSi SE Sport '01				0'53.299
Honda S800 '66						0'57.221

I couldn't run just 3 laps at a time, I must have done each car for at least 20 minutes. I'm tempted to leave all the cars stock, unless I'm sure tuning it will make it faster.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to clear the Records screen, in case I want to run other cars at the track?

Just ran some laps with the Lexus IS 200 (J) '98, tuned, and just did 0'52.202.

dylansan, you didn't tune any of the stock cars in those laps ? Well, great job, especially with the Lexus !

I would like to clear the records screen too but didn't find a way...

EDIT : I tried some tuning and here are the results (before > after tuning)...
Code:
Honda JAZZ 1.4 DSi SE Sport '01				0'54.012 > 0'53.111
Lexus IS 200 (J) '98					0'54.740 > 0'52.202
Honda S800 '66						0'57.477 > 0'55.883

What about you guys ?

Last edited:
I haven't tried tuning any of them at Motorland, so I can't compare yet... I've been busy running the cars on various tracks to decide where the 5 challenges will take place. The FIT, Clio, and S800 challenges are set in stone... still trying to decide with the WRX and IS200.

Currently with the Spoon Fit Race Car '03 @ 0'45.716. It's still possible to shave more time off, but I am struggling with the FR cars right now. Well at least I can drift around the tight course lol.

I didn't touch my PSP at all yesterday (watched three Olympic hockey games instead), so I have no new time updates. I still haven't even tried the Renault or Subaru vehicles yet, but I am quite familiar with the Impreza Super Touring Car (I love that one!).

Currently with the Spoon Fit Race Car '03 @ 0'45.716. It's still possible to shave more time off, but I am struggling with the FR cars right now. Well at least I can drift around the tight course lol.

Thank you guys ! And yes the Clio does look like an exciting dog who wants to play : the tail is going crazy ! This one and the Lexus are really hard to calm down when they start to oversteer but, to me, without tuning if the clio tends to oversteer more often than the Lexus, she seems to be easier to handle.
I haven't tried tuning any of them at Motorland, so I can't compare yet... I've been busy running the cars on various tracks to decide where the 5 challenges will take place. The FIT, Clio, and S800 challenges are set in stone... still trying to decide with the WRX and IS200.
I wish it was March already!
Me too !

I tried the JAZZ again and was able to shave off some tenth but I have to say I hate that car ! The engine sound is giving me headaches ! BUT, as advised by Glubags, it's a very good way to learn to pay a good attention to the speedometer ! Now, thanks to that, I am starting to have a new reflexe with the other cars : look at the speedometer more often to know when I can start to throttle ! So thank you JAZZY ! But still I don't think I'll run again with this car after the challenge lol !
Code:
Honda JAZZ 1.4 DSi SE Sport '01				0'53.111 > 0'52.919

Last edited:
Back