GTR2 Official!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 923 comments
I have had a similar issue where the game apparently went "this class has these letters in this order. So does this class. They must be the same" even though they had various other symbols. It appears to have fixed itself, and I don't really remember how or why, I also have three classes of very similar name in the same "group", and they're separated just fine.

In my instance, their internal class names called MGT1, MGT2 and MGT3 (for reasons). Let's say I have the same issue as you. First thing I'd check would be the class' .GDB file. In my case, for it to work properly, it should look something like this:

MGT1 = *class name of GT1*
MGT2 = *class name of GT2*
MGT3 = *class name of GT3*

If the first one only says "MGT = *class name of GT1*", it appears the game automatically assumes every car related to a MGT (no matter what comes after that) goes there.

It's essentially a slow process of exclusion for the game to find the right cars. "First letter is M, so every class with an M as first letter goes here - second letter is G, so the class ID needs to start with MG, third letter is T, MGT. No more symbols? OK, every class that starts with MGT it is!"

From what I can gather, that's how the classes work.

If that's not the culprit, I'll need a little more detail (and a little more time, exam starts in 10 minutes and I'm doing this. yoloswag.)

I have had a similar issue where the game apparently went "this class has these letters in this order. So does this class. They must be the same" even though they had various other symbols. It appears to have fixed itself, and I don't really remember how or why, I also have three classes of very similar name in the same "group", and they're separated just fine.

In my instance, their internal class names called MGT1, MGT2 and MGT3 (for reasons). Let's say I have the same issue as you. First thing I'd check would be the class' .GDB file. In my case, for it to work properly, it should look something like this:

MGT1 = *class name of GT1*
MGT2 = *class name of GT2*
MGT3 = *class name of GT3*

If the first one only says "MGT = *class name of GT1*", it appears the game automatically assumes every car related to a MGT (no matter what comes after that) goes there.

It's essentially a slow process of exclusion for the game to find the right cars. "First letter is M, so every class with an M as first letter goes here - second letter is G, so the class ID needs to start with MG, third letter is T, MGT. No more symbols? OK, every class that starts with MGT it is!"

From what I can gather, that's how the classes work.

If that's not the culprit, I'll need a little more detail (and a little more time, exam starts in 10 minutes and I'm doing this. yoloswag.)
I figured that was the case! I named my classes completely different, mashed them together, and now they aren't all combined. Thanks for the help!

Hi all :) Does anyone know if there is a mod for GTR2 that has the Ronin AW Hammer from rFactor?

I do have rFactor but I'd like to consolidate and the hammer is the only rFactor car I want

I have Rfactor on dvd if a disc check is needed

Thanks in advance 👍

Gonna try and do a video series with mods around Suzuka 2012 :D

The quality is a bit iffy for this one, I'll see what I can do for the next one!

In regards to trying to make videos, I am using the free Open Broadcaster Software (OBS). I successfully have made some videos playing rFactor in a window. Not so lucky trying to do GTR2 in a window. I swear... if I can get to play GTR2 in a window and perhaps even try to set up some races, I'd gladly make some material for GTR2 to make series with. I am already looking at trying to make a standalone car based on the default cars. I am considering either the Ferrari 360 Modena or one of the Porsches. I even thought of making my own standalone using the Saleen S7 or maybe one of those sweet Moslers. I've always liked the Saleen S7 and the Mosler MT900R.

The only mod I have so far is a Formula 3000 mod, and I am considering playing around with it and see if I could maybe paint up my own car. One video I saw with the F3000 mod had pretty sweet sounds. Almost kind of like F1 cars of the 1980s oe early 1990s. Or to take a quote I once heard when I saw a video of an old Ligier F1 car- "...it just sounded like power."

In regards to trying to make videos, I am using the free Open Broadcaster Software (OBS). I successfully have made some videos playing rFactor in a window.

How is it in comparison to Fraps?

I don't think I've used FRAPS, so I can't comment much on that front. All I know is that you kind of have to do a little tweaking with OBS, but you can still get fairly decent video quality with OBS. Maybe the only other screen capture software I've used was CamStudio or Camtasia, but that thing fails to realize whatever recording device using for audio. So I'm using OBS, which works fairly well.

I kind of remember that song playing in the background. One of my favorites from "WipEout Fusion." This was a good lap around one of my personal favorite courses- Suzuka.

Are there any mods that put a 935-esque front nose on the 993 GT2? That was a common thing to do for European teams in the 90's, and I would sort of like to have that option on the game, though I doubt a mod exists for it.

Returning to GTR2, I realized how simple it was to set up an AI race. What I did was change the settings for the 2nd Driver to start the race and have that second driver as an AI racer. Simpler process to set up AI racing unlike in rFactor, plus you get some better control in making AI races. Games like TORCS and Speed Dreams sort of specialize in AI racing, but GTR2 is very good in setting up AI races also. I can see why people confidently enough set up AI races in GTR2.

Part of my own GTR2 modding education will involve trying to come up with a standalone car. Using the default cars, I will add another Ferrari 360 Modena team. I'll make my own team in the game. This is all part of the process to try to make my own stuff and possibly even get into making my own fantasy series.

I was playing around with GTR2 more. I even did a little night racing practice around Spa-Francorchamps in a Gillet Vertigo (Belgian on Belgian goodness!). The Maserati MC12 is one of only few Maseratis I actually like (the GranTurismo the other), but man... that MC12 is VERY tough to drive and keep on the road! In fact, I can't even see how I'm supposed to clear one of the Driving School deals featuring the MC12, like at the Dubai Autodrome.

Some of my favorite cars to drive in the game are the Ferrari 360 cars, the Corvette C5, and the Saleen S7. The Lister Storm is a great car albeit a very old one. Favorite course for me is Monza. Of the GTR tracks, I consider Enna Pergusa to be the simplest. I even thought this was the easiest course in the first GTR. Because it's simple, though, doesn't mean... it's simple. You can screw up REALLY bad at that track should you miss any of those chicanes.

I almost feel in a way I probably should have gotten this game a long time ago when it was actually on shelves. Same way I felt about RACE 07 as well, even as I added more RAM to my former PC just to play games like RACE 07. This is still a game to get for your PC racing game collection if you haven't already.

I was able to find a way to run GTR2 in a window. Trouble is... the window is 320x200 in dimensions! On a monitor capable of 1080p, it's not really great to see a beautiful game like GTR2 in such a brutally low screen resolution. What I did was specify the game be run in 800 x 600 resolution at 16 bits. I then ticked the Windowed Mode. Yet somehow... I get this GTR2 window in 320 x 200 resolution. Getting a windowed mode of GTR2 is a start. It probably helped that I opened GTR2 in the root folder instead of use a shortcut or something. Since I have Windows 10, there's the whole madness of Running as Administrator and stuff. The next challenge is to try to get the resolution to a more favorable resolution for better ability to possibly make video captures if and when I get to do GTR2 videos. I successfully made screen capture videos playing rFactor. Now I am hopeful to have the same success with GTR2.

Something I noticed is that with the GTR2 configuration program on my PC, the program uses the configuration file in my Users folder rather than the file in the root GTR2 folder on my PC. Maybe I can change that and use that config file instead of modifying the one in my Users folder. I'll keep trying a bunch of options, but I did make a decent start by getting to play GTR2 in a window. Next move is to adjust the window size to something more favorable- such as 800 x 600 or greater.

[UPDATE] Bless whomever invented the concept of Trial and Error because that is exactly what I did to try to get more favorable windowed screen resolutions for GTR2! I experimented playing with the "VIDEOMODE" string in the GTR2 Config file. It began with me having it stuck on 39. Then changing it to 40, I noted the resolution went from 320x200 to 320x240. So then I changed VIDEOMODE to 50. And guess what? 800x600 resolution windowed! I tested out the resolution of the window by making a screen capture and measuring out the window in Paint.NET. I could probably test out a few more resolutions and features, but it was Trial and Error that helped me solve my problem.

I tried to make this update earlier, but my connection to GTPlanet was slow. So I had to wait until the darned connection finally let me get on. Isn't technology beautiful?

Last edited:
There was another issue I encountered with GTR2. I noticed that my data from the Driving School material was missing. I went back to changing up the Config file so that everything linked to the root GTR2 directory instead of my Users folder material. I can now do more of those Driving School events to try to unlock the other championships and race tracks. I am actually surprised you don't get the shorter configurations early on instead of having to unlock them. In most racing games, you usually get the shorter courses before unlocking the longer ones. GTR2 gives you just about all of the longer courses and have you unlock the shorter ones.

Now that I have successfully gotten GTR2 in a window, I now feel a bit more confident trying out making videos as well as attempting to paint cars. I will stick with the default GTR2 cars and not look at any mods just yet. I will paint up a Ferrari 360 Modena as my own racing machine. I got to get my fictional racing team (Moonlight Motorsports) going. I actually had a 360 Modena series in mind in trying to make my first championship in GTR2.

Speaking of championships, I noted how simple and adaptive making a championship in GTR2 can be. I even entertained the thought of mixing and matching different classes of car. I didn't think this way previously because I had fears of trying to mix different mods together or trying to push things even remotely above average to where performance stutters. But... I'll worry about all of this once I start getting more experienced with mods and tracks in GTR2.

I downloaded the EEC GT3 Base Mod recently but haven't used it yet. With 15 different GT3-spec cars to paint up, you're sure to find one you'll like and want to race. I began thinking of the old GT3 World Series featured here on GTPlanet. I may go with either the Audi R8 LMS (or maybe the R8 LMS Ultra) or the McLaren GT MP4-12C GT3 as my GT3 racing ride. I could even go with the Ford GT or Ferrari F430 Scuderia. This is a mod I could have some fun with making a bunch of cars.

In the future, I may go with one of the GRID mods for more proper sportscar racing. While I have the F3000 mod, I am also considering another lower-level formula car mod, like maybe Formula 3 or something.

One thing I noticed is that some cars are offered a standalone cars, but you can add them easily to certain championships and teams. So I get tempted to try to put specific cars together as part of a mod, but I am currently not thinking of trying to mix and match cars to form a mod. What I do have interest in is making a specific set of teams as a separate championship. Like one of the mods I have, the 2009 Ford Fiesta ST mod, has only one car but two different classes. So I'll be looking to try to play around with certain mods.

I DID IT! I made myself a standalone car in GTR2! Learning to make one was sort of trial and error as well as experimenting a few things. I am now a bit more confident making skins and cars, especially using a specific model. With this in mind, I can now think about skinning certain cars and maybe making a little championship in GTR2. You have to do some GTR file editing and properly set up the CAR file. It isn't really that hard to make a standalone car. By the way, it was a practice car I made for the Hankook MX-5 Cup mod for GTR2, in which I basically copied over an already-made skin and called it the skin for the car. This at least gives me an idea of what to do to properly make a real skin for a car.

Actually, I focused on this other mod so I could get away from my frustration trying to set up the EEC GT3 mod properly. I now basically have learned to make my own teams and skins for GTR2 vehicle mods. Does this mean I will officially make myself available to create skins to share online? Maybe... then maybe not. At least I know how to do these things now, though.

I don't have anything made. This is mostly a process of taking certain mods and making skins for cars. I surely will share anything of interest. What I was trying to do recently was make my own Audi R8 LMS Ultra skin, but because the template file is so large (some 60 MB worth!), trying to load it in Paint.NET slowed my computer down considerably! So I almost am semi-exclusively using Photoshop to load such PSD templates. But again, nothing of interest right now. Maybe I'll offer some of my designs online in the future, whether on certain sites or even in my creative works site or blog.

I began thinking about setting up AI races and trying to make videos. One thing I realized about doing races is that you can set up variables for time and consumption. I don't think I'd have the patience to do or set up true races with realistic dynamic time and weather. One thing I liked about rFactor was that you could run a 24-hour race in 24 minutes granted you accelerate time by 60x. GTR2, though, has these options: RealTime, 2x, 10x, and 60x. You could also adjust the consumption of tires and fuel from a regular pace to 7x. I remember even playing the PC version of Sports Car GT whereas races had varying levels of tire and fuel wear. So while I haven't thought too much of anything right now, I am looking at taking advantage of some of these options in making races to meet my different custom needs.

The only other thing I probably would discuss is using somewhat higher screen resolutions for if and when I do videos. Through OBS (Open Broadcaster Software), some of the higher settings looked nice for me to play, but they were too big for my play window for videos in OBS; and besides, I try to set up 720p quality videos, meaning I stretch the 1024 x 768 screen to properly fill the preview window and make that widescreen look. I started to use that once I learned how to properly stretch the screen to fill the preview window rather than have some pillarbox effect.

All I've been up to lately is playing around with mods and envisioning making skins and possible championships. By the way... though the template files were massive for the Audi R8 LMS and Audi R8 LMS Ultra, that car still drives like a dream with that EEC GT3 mod, especially the Audi R8 LMS Ultra. The Audi R8 LMS is more oversteer prone than the R8 LMS Ultra in that mod.

I began working on my first skin for any mod in GTR2. I began sharing my skin on Facebook and Twitter. The skin I made was to be part of a One-Make series I envisioned as my first championship/series of any kind of mine. So the livery I made for the skin was meant to mostly be a template as all of the opposing cars will have a similar scheme but with different colors. What I somewhat struggled with is trying to adjust the GenString values so I could use a different set of variables for each car. I am not sure which variable is which and how to implement them.

Three mods are what I am considering as far as making any future projects or cars- the Super GT mod, the Streetcar Mod, and the SR-GRID Mod. Or as our good GTPlanet mate RACECAR called the SR-GRID mod, the "All My Want mod." These are three good choices to me because I am simply looking for some more mods to think about making skins for and possible championships/series/races for. I am at that stage where I simply am trying mods just to envision making content for them to enhance the experience. The Super GT mod is what I am looking at as I have always liked the series formerly known as the JGTC. Super GT has grown up incredibly since the JGTC days, and I've felt like wanting to paint up the old NSX. I've also have always been a Supra lover with Super GT. Why I've looked at the Streetcar Mod is just to think of a decent mod racing street cars rather than pure racing machines. You get a whole lot of cars from a lot of different decades with that massive mod. The biggest of the three mods I've listed is the SR-GRID mod, which comes in as a 2.5 GB download- and there is a separate one that has the sounds, which comes in at about 440 MB. So this mod in total is almost 0.6 GB less than the Windows 10 download! So what I was thinking about is either to get the SR-GRID mod and all of its cars, or because I have the EEC GT3 mod (along with adding the Blancpain Endurance Series 2012 mod), get the SR-GRID mod with only the prototypes and just have a makeshift sportscar racing series? I am somewhat leaning towards getting the SR-GRID package and not try to mix and match two different mods.

Finally and on a lighthearted note, I noted there was a typo in GTR2's legal splash screen. The line reads, "Under teh official license by the FIA GT CHAMPIONSHIP." Little error on the part of the company formerly known as SimBin (I believe is now called Sector 3).

I haven't installed it yet, but I downloaded the SR-GRID mod. All I basically have done so far was look into the files. Let me tell you something- if you're any kind of modern sportscar racing fan and fail to find anything interesting about this mod, you're just not trying. I swear this thing is crazy loaded for any kind of sportscar racing you want to set up. I mean, you got the USCR, the FLM macihines, various GT3-level cars, the heavy-hitting prototypes (like the Toyota TS030), and more. I can almost say this is the GTR2 equivalent of the EnduRacers Endurance Series for rFactor.

Like I mentioned earlier, I haven't yet installed this SR-GRID mod, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed playing it.

You learn as you go along, or so it is said. So what did I learn recently?

Here I am feeling great knowing how to make skins for cars. What I did was move over the different DDS files for my cars to a subfolder. The cars took a little longer to load with the liveries intact because I had BMPs of my skins in the folder at that time. Those BMPs then went into the same subfolder as my DDS files were. With the BMP and DDS files moved over, I noticed all of the cars I made had the base model skins instead of the ones I created! The reason why I was stunned was because I only made ultra texture versions of my cars. I think there is an option where you can choose between regular texture cars and high-resolution textures of cars. And apparently, I've set mine to regular resolution cars. What I am now trying to do is make regular resolution versions of my high-resolution machines. So I am taking the "high" resolution cars and resize them to half of their dimensions for the regular GTR file for each car.

Now I know that if I make changes to the textures, that means I'll have to make their high resolution form, make their regular resolution form, and import the DDSes to the individual GTR files. Getting cars and car skins into GTR2 is a lot of work, but it isn't overly difficult. Since both the regular resolution and high resolution versions have the same sort of file name system, I set up two folders- one with the high resolution ones, and the other with the reduced resolution versions of the textures just to make everything easy to import. Since the livery set I've created is one texture set with variations in color through one PSD, I don't have to worry about different texture packs or different specific liveries for certain cars.

Moral of this story- you learn as you go along. This is a lot of work on the skinning front, but it doesn't seem overly difficult.

Other than that, I still haven't installed and/or used the SR-GRID mod or the Streetcar Mod yet.

Hi, anybody can tell me how difficulty setting is realystic to play in this game? I tried to play in 120% but is very hard in simulation mode.

I mostly play GTR2 on Semi-Pro with AI at about 100%. Forgiving is the name of the game for me. I used to play at Novice until I was somewhat convinced by a thread on another message board to try Semi-Pro. In fact, I think I played Semi-Pro a lot in the first GTR as well. The AI is competitive. Considering I am not a hardcore sim racer, I keep things manageable. I mostly have been setting up AI races of late. To that point...

I started taking a recommendation of using VSDC Free Video Editor after seeing videos from the Race Heads YouTube channel and even through commentary from our rallymorten. A few practice videos of mine were recorded and then edited through VSDC Free Video Editor. I've gotten good with the program that I may start using that program for post-production of my material. I honestly and really want to try to offer my own GTR2 video content thanks to the inspiration and encouragement given by you all here on GTPlanet. It probably won't all be to the best quality or on par with some of the other GTR2 stuff posted by you all on GTPlanet, but offering my own brand of material means a lot to me.

Another thing I am doing is looking for more mods to try to make skins for. I admit I sort of caught the skinning bug. One mod I've looked at was the RMS Mini Cooper mod. While it is a fairly good mod, I only see the base skin for all of the cars in the mod. Basically if I make skins, I am ONLY going to make regular style skins for mods rather than make a regular and ultra texture set for skins. This is to limit confusion and better my chances of making sure all skins are applied correctly and look great (or at least presentable).

Only other thing I wanted to mention before closing this post is that I've basically been adding a bunch of tracks to my GTR2 collection, mostly certain famous courses and a lot of the current F1 courses. Just trying to build my own "World Tour" of courses. This post was mostly to answer vantoco until I decided to want to share my latest GTR2 musings.

Hi, anybody can tell me how difficulty setting is realistic to play in this game? I tried to play in 120% but is very hard in simulation mode.

I play in Simulation with all aids off except auto clutch. AI set to to 100%. If you have a wheel it helps immensely. Also do the Driving School events, they will teach you the basics of sim racing if you're coming from games like NFS. It also teaches you to learn every track, which will help if you are not familiar with them from other games.

You can actually edit the parameters of the AI via a settings file, such as the range of the slider and what driving aids are forced off. Making whole new classes and championships is pretty much a piece of cake with the MultiEdit tool as well. My track pack I was working on has been finished by the way and is now going through approval, hopefully will get to share it with you all soon :D

Yeah, I have a wheel and I'm trying to take all gold on driving school, but I usually to play games at the most difficulty possible, and I could feel a big difference between reach school gold and play in 120 % AI, even with all settups possible to play. I saw that Ai have much more grip than me in 120%.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have a wheel and I'm trying to take all gold on driving school, but I usually to play games at the most difficulty possible, and I could feel a big difference between reach school gold and play in 120 % AI, even with all settups possible to play. I saw that Ai have much more grip than me in 120%.

Well it's called 120% for a reason. For most people 100% should be enough. If you are an alien then you might need 120% for extra challenge, but don't feel bad if you have to settle for 100%.

I might spend a bit more time with the Driving School just to unlock more content. I got a few extra Gold Gears to be able to get some more Championships unlocked. I then may try to clear some of the championships.

Speaking of championships, I downloaded the GTR2 Championship Manager. This program seems fairly simple to try to build championships with granted you know what you're doing. I haven't yet tried my hand at coming up with championships. When I do eventually give it a try, I am sure I will offer up some great challenges.

Something else I've done was save my first replay of a race. It's something I should probably do more often if I want to record races and make videos with because I can at least save copies of the events to better be able to make videos and even maybe catch a few tidbits that end up missing or unnoticed. I am even trying to create some image overlays to enhance whatever videos I may work on. So I am just trying to get my creative engine going.

I found out that I bought GTR2 back in January 2016 and haven't really gotten into playing the game much until the past few months. Needless to say, my experience with GTR2 has been mostly positive. It is a game I would recommend to any sim racing fan, or anyone who simply loves racing/driving games in general. Great things withstand the test of time no matter how old they may be. Don't let the fact this game is give-or-take ten years old deter your interest in getting it. Would you rather the most up-to-date, of-the-moment material... or a classic experience regardless of how old it is? Keep on racing, GTR2 fans!

It isn't my first GTR2 skin, but it is one of the ones I have developed recently. So I figured I offer this sample:

CocaColaFordFocusRS_zpswn0u9gn6.png

My GTR2 Project (John's Creative Space)

I actually wanted to show this in the thread about 3D models and such, but since this post is about GTR2, I figured I'd show my work here. Then again, I did post a few NR2003 skins I created in that 3D models thread, so I may feature this there too. The Coca-Cola livery I created was somewhat created from doing several Google Images searches while also utilizing Photoshop. The mod is the 2007 Ford Focus RS mod for GTR2. The project I am working on is a fictional sort of story to serve as my first attempt at making a GTR2 series and my first true GTR2 video. Because this is a One-Make Series with completely identical cars, the only variations are the driver numbers (obviously) and the driver names on the rear windshield. When I mentioned this on Twitter, someone said it reminded her of the ToCA Race Driver series. It was indeed an inspiration. For example, I kind of thought of the series like the SEAT Léon Supercopa series in ToCA Race Driver 2- all of the cars had the same paint scheme, and 20 drivers filled the grid. I might make another skin or two using this mod.

The next thing I want to work on is making Talent files. You can set up semi-random drivers to a championship, but you can tweak things better with Talent files of the different drivers. I haven't done any fiddling of drivers from the Talent folder. However, it is something I at least want to experiment with and work with in the future. That will be the next step in my self-educating of GTR2.

[OMISSION] I almost forgot... I want to get rid of some of the ambient garage sounds when doing replay videos. It gets somewhat annoying listening to the garage sounds when trying to do a video because I'd rather listen to the engine sounds and ambient noise outside rather than those sounds plus the garage sounds. What I may do is put in a dummy sound file just so I can eliminate those sounds when trying to make such replays.

Back