GTR2 Official!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 923 comments
I completed my first GTR2 project race! I saved the replay just to be able to look at what all happened and properly be able to tell the story of the race once I process everything. I also kind of acted out how the race would be had I did play-by-play. However, this video will be more like a review instead of any real-time stuff. This is a new experience for me. Several others have made game videos of NR2003 and GTR2 and such. Now, I want to be able to say I made my own kind of racing highlights video and posted it online. I surely will add my own twist on things to try to get my work to stand out. Though it is my first project of this kind, it is surely of importance that I provide material the way I want it presented. I just moved closer to realizing that goal tonight.

Maybe I'll share my video here on GTPlanet if and when I complete it. Surely, though, I will make mention of it elsewhere when it is complete. It just feels good coming up with such a project and being able to share it. All that remains now is trying to put together a package and make a proper video of my work.

At long last... I DID IT! I now have the honor of saying that I created my own GTR2 video and was able to create my material packaged into one video. Trying to learn how to do this first and foremost took me a good amount of time. Trying to work on everything took me about maybe a week ranging from recording video bits to putting it all together into one package with a lot of editing and post-production work. However, I practiced being able to try to record bits and pieces of media while also putting my own spin on things to compile one entire video. With other GTPlaneteers making their own kind of GTR2 videos, and with inspiration and motivation from GTR2 videos (and even NR2003 videos) the likes of RACECAR, rallymorten, CrashBroke23, Angel, Jahgee, nascarfan1400, the Race Heads YouTube channel, and many others; I can now add my name to the list of GTPlaneteers who made their own GTR2 video. So here is what I came up with:

I feel so accomplished finally being able to complete a task I've been wanting to do since I've been following fantasy series here on GTPlanet. I am not at all concerned about image quality and stuff as my computer is not all that good in providing sharp graphics. I've always been more "quality over quantity" to begin with. As long as the material is presentable, that's all that matters to me. It doesn't have to be pretty; it just has to work. If you learn ANYTHING from me- keep doing what you love and never give up. So there you have it. Thanks to anyone and everyone who managed to take a look at my material.

Hi guys, I seem to be having ridiculous attrition at the 2004 Spa on the game. Typically, I'm down to less than 40 cars from 62 starters within one and a half hours, with roughly six-ten cars making pit stops and simply spawning to the garage instead of going back out on track.

How can I make the retirements less prominent?

Hi guys, I seem to be having ridiculous attrition at the 2004 Spa on the game. Typically, I'm down to less than 40 cars from 62 starters within one and a half hours, with roughly six-ten cars making pit stops and simply spawning to the garage instead of going back out on track.

With Spa you can't ;)

Go into the Game's folders, more specifically Gamedata then Locations. You'll go to the Spa folder within there and then open either the 3Spa or 4Spa .GDB file in notepad. There should be a value called Attrition in there somewhere; that's the value that causes the DNF retirement in the pit lane so change if from 15 to whatever you want it to be. I'd also make sure that the in-game mechanical failures setting is set to On in this case rather than Time-Scaled.

Go into the Game's folders, more specifically Gamedata then Locations. You'll go to the Spa folder within there and then open either the 3Spa or 4Spa .GDB file in notepad. There should be a value called Attrition in there somewhere; that's the value that causes the DNF retirement in the pit lane so change if from 15 to whatever you want it to be. I'd also make sure that the in-game mechanical failures setting is set to On in this case rather than Time-Scaled.

He's talking about the bug were cars do not exit pit stall. That's different. Attrition also only affects time simulation.

For this post, I will just share my recent skinning work for GTR2. I initially wanted to post this material in the 3D modeling thread. More of my work can be seen on my Weebly site and my creative works blog. Here are some of my creations:

CocaColaFordFocusRS_zpswn0u9gn6.png

^ (blog post)

CandyCupCar_zps3w4czvac.png

^ (blog post)

I have two more projects in mind. Since I am using the Hot Hatch Euro Challenge mod for GTR2, there are two other cars I am looking at towards making series out of. This focus on similar liveries is a combination of inspiration from Gran Turismo (especially GT2) and the ToCA Race Driver series. One will have identical liveries for each of the cars, and the other will be one car with ten different skins. I may share my creations in this thread.

But for this post, I just wanted to share my skinning work in GTR2 so far. I even was looking at what I could come up with for rFactor skinning. I will just stick mostly to GTR2 for now, though.

For the first time, I took a mod made for rFactor that was converted to GTR2 and tried to apply one of my skins to that mod. There was the Panoz GTS mod made for GTR2, and I took my Pizza Hut-liveried Panoz GTS and applied it to the GTR2 model. It worked! Even though the GTR2 version of the mod has GTR files, I tried NOT to use a GTR file to house the skins for the car. I was unsure if the GTR2 version mod would have a number already used. Instead of the usual #25 I use for my racing games, I instead gave it the number #56. All to find out... #25 was available. The car still has the #25 from rFactor, but I just gave it #56 in the CAR file. I actually find it a bit more efficient to use a CAR file and the corresponding DDS files rather than package everything in a GTR file.

This is the first time I've taken a mod from one game converted to another and tried to use a skin from my rFactor collection. I usually try to find templates in case I want to make my own cars. While the cars may be the same, not every vehicle is modeled the same. So just because two different mods have (for example) the same Audi R8 GT3 doesn't mean they are modeled the same or have the same template. It may be possible I could (correct term?) cross-promote the same mod for both rFactor and GTR2. Providing skins and programming everything are the only variables here.

I installed the 4GB patch for GTR2 to see if it makes any sort of difference. Problem was that I experienced a good bit of lag. So I eventually deleted that EXE file and went back to the previous GTR2 executable. What I unfortunately had to do was re-do my settings. I had to re-input my name and stuff for the races. It also meant I had to re-do my Driving School progress. I guess I should have backed up my player profile information before doing any of this. Now I got to re-do my Driving School progress. But to be really honest, I don't feel like I am missing too much depending on what you can unlock. So I may just avoid the Driving School stuff altogether. Though when I poked around (another site), there was a download that basically unlocked all of the championships and extra track configurations without needing to do the Driving School and Championship stuff.

Other than that, I am still looking to play around with mods and look for stuff to skin. Actually, I am looking to take on one of the bigger mods. I am considering the DTM 2012 mod, the FVR V8 Supercars mod, and the Super GT mod.

I've just created a multi-class category featuring the SCC cars and the FIA GT machines.

It's awesome, however, I'm having an issue with the tyres on the SCC cars. After about twenty minutes (at the most), they cry no more. What am I supposed to adjust or fix to make them last longer? It's a bit silly having GT1 cars win races because they only make one stop an hour rather than the three-four for the prototypes!

I've just created a multi-class category featuring the SCC cars and the FIA GT machines.

It's awesome, however, I'm having an issue with the tyres on the SCC cars. After about twenty minutes (at the most), they cry no more. What am I supposed to adjust or fix to make them last longer? It's a bit silly having GT1 cars win races because they only make one stop an hour rather than the three-four for the prototypes!

Certain SCC cars have LM spec tyres that only last a while on that track.

You might have to go in the car's respective .hdc file and replace this line: TireBrand=LMP900f1c.tyr with the correct tire file.

Certain SCC cars have LM spec tyres that only last a while on that track.

Well to be honest I'm not using many LM skins at all. Mostly ALMS, LMES.

You might have to go in the car's respective .hdc file and replace this line: TireBrand=LMP900f1c.tyr with the correct tire file.

How would I know what the right file is? Sorry, most of this stuff is a tad over my head...

I may end up buying 3DSimEd because it's about the only real effective tool for making and editing models. A mod I was playing with featured a car that had some kind of color-shifting paint to it. I later discovered there was a GMT model to it giving the car that color shifting characteristic. Previously, I had the Street Car mod installed, and one of the cars was the Holden Efijy concept car. The car had this deep red color that pops to brighter reds when rotated. I almost want to imagine someone trying to make a TVR that has the infamous Reflex Spice color to it played out in GTR2.

I haven't attempted making any color shifting cars, but I at least have an idea as to how to try to implement such a style to a vehicle.

How would I know what the right file is? Sorry, most of this stuff is a tad over my head...

Guessing lol, you should be able to scroll through your tire files in your teams folder (files with .tyr extension). I'm assuming you'll be able to guess based on the name as I'm pretty sure the 24h of Le Mans tires have LM in the title.

Or you can edit the .car file and replace this line HDVehicle=AUDIR8_LMES_2005.HDC with the correct non 24 hour car, that is of course all assuming it is actually wrong and not just the .tyr file being bugged to begin with.

I may end up buying 3DSimEd because it's about the only real effective tool for making and editing models. A mod I was playing with featured a car that had some kind of color-shifting paint to it. I later discovered there was a GMT model to it giving the car that color shifting characteristic. Previously, I had the Street Car mod installed, and one of the cars was the Holden Efijy concept car. The car had this deep red color that pops to brighter reds when rotated. I almost want to imagine someone trying to make a TVR that has the infamous Reflex Spice color to it played out in GTR2.

I haven't attempted making any color shifting cars, but I at least have an idea as to how to try to implement such a style to a vehicle.

You can make the trial last forever, I only use it to preview a car while I'm skinning it so I dont have to open the game. I dont think that is the best tool to necessarily build a model from scratch.

Last edited:
Guessing lol, you should be able to scroll through your tire files in your teams folder (files with .tyr extension). I'm assuming you'll be able to guess based on the name as I'm pretty sure the 24h of Le Mans tires have LM in the title.

Or you can edit the .car file and replace this line HDVehicle=AUDIR8_LMES_2005.HDC with the correct non 24 hour car, that is of course all assuming it is actually wrong and not just the .tyr file being bugged to begin with.

Yeah, I switched the tyres and now it works. Cheers. :)

I fear that when the trial expires, I may not be able to export models or anything. I at least want to try to make a car or a track and sample it using 3DSimEd and its suite of features. It is kind of a goal of mine since I once used to try to do 3D modeling. In fact, I once made a so-so looking race track just to practice modeling a track. Now that I see how courses are made, I may want to eventually make a serious course and use 3DSimEd to sample the nuances of courses.

As of now, though, I will admit that 3DSimEd is good for viewing car models without having to load GTR2. I am actually developing a car skin for GTR2 while also brainstorming how to complete the design. It is surely a boon to have 3DSimEd in the development process.

I've never been a fan of fictional liveries but to each his own. I'm just good at making replicas.
untitl12.jpg

Impressive! Would it be at all possible for you to do a factory C5.R from '04 with the correct FIA GT numbers? That would delight me beyond words!

I went ahead and bought 3DSimEd recently. So I will be using this as an alternative to loading up GTR2 to see car models. I may even use it to preview any track models I create. Since the program can be used for other racing games, I will utilize this in other games as well. While tedious, I am mostly okay with hiding certain objects to better be able to view models. I even update the material real-time just to see the changes to DDS files reflect on a car.

Other than this, I am envisioning many more different skin projects I may want to work on based on many different mods I'm trying out. These concepts will probably be shared in my creative works blog and on my site. I may even jump in here on GTPlanet and share some of my work if I so choose.

A popular mod I recently installed for GTR2 is the Super GT 500 mod. I always found these cars fun to drive no matter what game I play them in, and they are surely fine machines in this mod. Only car I didn't really enjoy was the HSV-010, which was the car I used to win the GT500 races in Gran Turismo 6. It can just snap on you in a hurry coming in or out of corners. I found the SC430, the GT-R, and even the McLaren F1 GTR to be great driving cars. It was even cool using the Supra.

One thing I kind of wondered is... how many cars does Hitotsuyama Racing have? There were a number of cars in this mod from the Hitotsuyama Racing stable in this mod. I am already looking at trying to make my own skins for some of the cars in this mod. I may even make my own team car(s) for it. So anybody new to GTR2, I'd recommend this mod to you all if starting your collection. It's worth the nearly 590MB download.

I was using one of the BPR Series mods to try to view skins, and all I could pull up were default skins. So this was kind of a bad deal as I was looking for ways to make up skins for that mod. I think 3DSimEd allows you to make *.X models for Carview. Maybe this will be a good alternative for when 3DSimEd fails to show proper skins.

I was using one of the BPR Series mods to try to view skins, and all I could pull up were default skins. So this was kind of a bad deal as I was looking for ways to make up skins for that mod. I think 3DSimEd allows you to make *.X models for Carview. Maybe this will be a good alternative for when 3DSimEd fails to show proper skins.
You need to find the material thats used for the car skin and reselect the texture map to your new file and itll show up.

I think 3DSimEd allows you to make *.X models for Carview.

That's exactly what I've been trying to do for a long, long time, but no luck so far, and the internet apparently doesn't know how to either. Maybe I'm just missing something blatantly obvious. That's a genuine possibility.

Also, just a sneaky reminder that there is only just over two weeks until this game will have been out for 10 years (!) in regions outside Europe, with that being a week later.

A little update of mine on GTR2 and of 3DSimEd... remember how I stated that some models would show default skins instead of those I'm really looking for? Well somehow, all of the correct skins are showing for the models and not the default skins. Maybe 3DSimEd couldn't load something intially to show the proper skins to certain models. I tested this out using one of the BPR Series mods for GTR2. So now I feel a bit more confident in case I want to try to make skins for this mod.

Have any of you experienced a feeling in which you casually try out a mod, but you end up liking it a lot? Well, that's what I felt when I tried out the BMW M3 E36 Cup. I initially had it on to test the idea of offering a skin for download for a mod. While I didn't install that skin I planned on loading into the mod, I was pretty humbled with how fun to drive the cars were. You sometimes download vehicle mods and enjoy them as you go along- even if you didn't expect them to be so good.

One last thing... I am considering getting the very popular Power and Glory mod. Only problem is, while I don't hate the Classic discipline of racing, I never really considered myself a vintage racing fan. So I don't usually connect to certain mods of older cars. Power and Glory still looks to be a quality mod for those who do enjoy classic/vintage racing.

That's all for this post. Oh, and I'm going to try the 3DSimEd + Photoshop approach of loading an OBJ into PS and trying to edit it.

I tried something out, and it worked nicely! Because I mostly made a bunch of cars mostly to be in their own series, I made my own GDB file featuring custom classes I set up. Any class you create within *.CAR files are featured all around. With some classes I created, I gave one class name to two different mods. And as a result, each CAR file with that specific class name in it will be included within that certain class name. This goes to ANY *.CAR file in your possession in the Gamedata folder. The great thing about doing this is that I am able to only see certain individual series I set up. Only possible downfall to this is that it may create some online mismatches; but since I am not an online gamer and do most of my racing on a personal level, I don't think it should be too much of a problem trying to mix and match certain mods together for a race offline. The biggest plus to all of this is that I don't have to view my separate series within the main mod. All I have to do is set up the individual championships and series in its own GDB file. It's more efficient to me.

In a similar sense, you could set up your own GDB file to sort of be a "Favorites" list of mods and/or classes in your collection of GTR2 mods. This is all something I just wanted to share with you all.

GTR2 getting very arsey with me and this .gdb - "PROAM" cars only show as "PRO" in-game.

CategoryLists = 3

Category
{
GTPRO = Pro
GTPROAM = ProAm
GTAM = Am
}

ComparativeCategory
{
GTPRO = Pro
GTPROAM = ProAm
GTAM = Am