GTR2 Official!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 923 comments
Alright, I know how much of a pain the mod is, but I can't stay away from EEC GT3.

I just can't.

The biggest thing for all of us is just getting skins, and since the BES mod is reliable as a toaster turning iron into liquid, the only "easy" way is to make them yourself. soooooooooooooo

How about we all collectively band together and share skins for the EEC mod? it isn't an obligatory thing, just when you're bored and decide to do one up, send it somewhere we can all access. It'd be a GTPlanet GT3 cup! We can make standard numberplates or not, just anything to get the darn mod to work :irked:

I'm gonna start doing some designs and adding in some I've already done. If y'all want to join in, we ought to find a place to share everything and keep it nice & organized.

No this isn't for B-Spec, just something everybody can use to race with EEC GT3's.

I can provide you with some last season SUPER GT skins for the GT3 cars. I'll upload them tomorrow :D

I've still got the GTR2S3 ones as well. Can probably make a few extra ones at some point or another. Probably a what-GRID-GT1-cars-would-look-like-if-they-were-GT3.

(Also nudge nudge if someone can access the Jaguar available on their members-only forums because I feel dumb making one "just for da modz" if someone already has)

Thanks for helping out, guys! I'll post my skins tomorrow as well as I'm getting back my old stuff from my former PC to my new laptop.

Perhaps just for fun we could do design comps to keep things interesting?

Last edited:
Well I didn't do as much as I thought I did :lol:

At one point I decided to create my own series by making my own liveries, but I realized how time consuming that was and gave up on it (if you see a hand-made FIA GT series on nogrip that has only a couple hundred downloads, give massive props for following through and finishing).

So I only brought 2/5 skins I've made, mostly because two were really bad (looking back) and one looks really good, but isn't finished. All the other skins I've done were for a series either by @Suzumiya or @rallymorten.

I'll organize the way I post them, do however you want to 👍

Number - Car - Team - Sponsor
#10 - Aston Martin V12 Vantage - Hannway Racing - Royal Academy of Arts
#45 - R8 LMS (old gen) - CHC Art Car - Children's Hospital Charity
Link

20170105230845_1.jpg
20170105230853_1.jpg
20170105230906_1.jpg
20170105230918_1.jpg
20170105230930_1.jpg
20170105230938_1.jpg
20170105230946_1.jpg
20170105230953_1.jpg

Number - Car - Team - Sponsor
#83 - SRT Viper GTS-R - Shelton Sport - TNT
#84 - SRT Viper GTS-R - Shelton Sport - TNT
Link

I have a problem with EEC GT3 mod, I was able to install the cars correctly but for some reason the car sounds are not present.

Can someone help me? I just got my GTR2 back and now I'm trying to install mods.

I have a problem with EEC GT3 mod, I was able to install the cars correctly but for some reason the car sounds are not present.

Can someone help me? I just got my GTR2 back and now I'm trying to install mods.
Sounds are a seperate download, make sure you also grabbed that. If you did, make sure you didn't put the Gamedata folder inside of the actual Gamedata folder (not merging), I've done that before with a mod that I thought was broken :lol:

I put the sounds on the GTR folder in the Sounds folder in the Gamedata folder. Is there something I did wrong?

I put the sounds on the GTR folder in the Sounds folder in the Gamedata folder. Is there something I did wrong?
Try reinstalling it by doing by merging the Gamedata folders, if you did it manually. Just replace whatever pops up. If that doesn't work, leave it to the wizards at nogrip...

The biggest thing for all of us is just getting skins, and since the BES mod is reliable as a toaster turning iron into liquid, the only "easy" way is to make them yourself. soooooooooooooo

The EEC forum has hundreds of skins for the mod, I've skinned 4 complete seasons of Italian GT for the mod.

After finally installing the F1 '89 mod made by JOJO30 from drivingitalia.net, here's my review about the mod I installed:

The physics were completely suited for GTR2 and the guy who made this did a good job of applying F1 physics in GTR2.

As for the cars, well as expected you have the '89 season so which means we still have the Senna-Prost combo, Mansell-Berger combo, Boutsen-Patrese combo, and Nakajima-Piquet combo. But after driving the four cars that featured the combos that I mentioned, here's what I can say about how difficult they can be used,

Williams FW12- Easy (Underpowered compared to the Ferrari, Lotus, and McLaren but easy to handle plus it's light.)
Lotus 101T- Intermediate (The balanced '89 F1 car. Has enough HP to keep up with McLaren and Ferrari plus it might be lighter than the Williams but might be hard to control.)
Ferrari 640- Hard (More powerful than the Lotus but it sacrifices weight for it and because of that, it feels heavy compared to the Lotus and Williams but the sound is awesome though.)
Mclaren MP4/5- Professional (The fastest and lightest of the '89 F1s but it's hard to control. From my experience it feels like the ABS is absent even with the ABS assist on.)

As for the other F1s such as the Benetton-Ford, Arrows, Brabham, etc., I will add when I get to drive it because right now, I'm stuck with the Williams or McLaren as my main F1 car.

Tracks? Sorry but JOJO30 only added cars and physics though.

Overall, this is by far the best F1 mod that I've ever experienced from modding.

It has been about a year now since buying GTR2. I still sometimes wish I had a powerful enough PC to get this game earlier. I even still upgraded my former PC's RAM just to get "RACE 07" (which I never got then, but may consider buying in the future). Making skins for cars and eventually making my first-ever game video were among my many moments playing GTR2. I want to do more skins and more videos in the future.

Poking around on one site, someone made the Red Bull prototypes for GTR2. I haven't tested it, but I hate to imagine trying to do tracks like Spa-Francorchamps with the GTR2 interpretation with this car. I have been watching a lot of Twitch streams on iRacing. So as I was watching some streams, I began to want to download Circuit Park Zolder as well as an updated version of Circuit of the Americas. Neither track has been added to my track collection as of yet. However, I surely will add them and race them in GTR2.

Getting back into the groove of things, I got back into GTR2. I finally developed the courage to make another skin. I previously have had the EEC GT3 mod to try my hand at GT3 racing. Unfortunately, and after a while, I became unimpressed trying to deal with it. Lying on my PC was another GT3 mod for GTR2- FIA GT3 2011. While some of the better GT3 cars aren't included (such as McLaren or Bentley), it does have a fairly nice lineup of machines you can use. So to that end, I took a template package and decided to go with my favorite among the included cars- the Audi R8 LMS GT3. And so I designed this car in my fictional race team's official colors of blue and gold:

C3xSliAVUAEG0KX.jpg:large

(more of my skin designs)

As for the mod itself, it's very cool. The Audi R8 LMS GT3 handles very well and performs nicely. I've always loved the Audi R8 road car ever since it was unveiled. So you can imagine my love for this racing machine. As for its design, it is in the blue and gold colors I often associate a lot of my work with. It is also in line with my fascination with stars and space. Turquoise-colored stars adorn the vehicle along with some lighter blue accents to offer the effect of nebulae. The roof of the car is a darker blue. The key thing for me here is how I learned how to flip and rotate individual layers in Photoshop. This made designing the skin a lot easier. I had to change the names and flags. But otherwise, it's great making skins again and playing GTR2 again.

For the first time ever, I designed a skin for a formula racing car. I created this self-sponsored skin for the F3000 cars from the RACE series (converted to GTR2):

grab-019_orig.png

(this skin, and my others)

A big part in putting this together was in utilizing 3DSimEd. This allowed me to properly see how to align everything. I didn't know how I wanted to design the sidepods, so I went with the same painting of stars as on the previous car I showcased among my skins. I had some issue with how Photoshop was spacing out my letters too wide. This meant I had to adjust a few things so I could properly use the text tool. I had to re-do the display of my name on the sides of the car around the driver area.

But today is a big one for me. I had never painted a skin of any kind on any formula car until today.

For the first time ever, I designed a skin for a formula racing car. I created this self-sponsored skin for the F3000 cars from the RACE series (converted to GTR2):

grab-019_orig.png

(this skin, and my others)

A big part in putting this together was in utilizing 3DSimEd. This allowed me to properly see how to align everything. I didn't know how I wanted to design the sidepods, so I went with the same painting of stars as on the previous car I showcased among my skins. I had some issue with how Photoshop was spacing out my letters too wide. This meant I had to adjust a few things so I could properly use the text tool. I had to re-do the display of my name on the sides of the car around the driver area.

But today is a big one for me. I had never painted a skin of any kind on any formula car until today.

I didn't know Android existed in 2002! ;)

Well, I didn't design it to be historically accurate. This car is a canvas just looking to be painted any sort of way.

Last night, I set up a race to see one of my latest skins in action. What was rare was that there was a Full Course Caution that took place. It was a three-lap race I set up around Spa-Francorchamps. The caution basically ended the race since it happened late. So it was a rare time when I set up a race and there was a Pace/Safety Car period. In case you're wondering, the mod in question is a mod featuring the Porsche Cayman S. There are a few more skins I have planned in working with the mod.

If you followed my rFactor comments, I mentioned the Formula Armaroli mod for rFactor. I downloaded the Armaroli mod made for GTR2. I never had such fun with a Formula 1-style mod than when I played this mod. I now feel like taking a cue from our Pezzarinho17 and take one car from one F1 mod and try to make a One-Make F1 mod for GTR2 using one specific car. All I'd need is a good mod that has some templates to use. I almost have a vision of setting something up similar to the Genesis/Megadrive version of "Super Monaco GP," especially when doing the World Championship mode. Only thing is that I don't envision you going from racing for Minarae to eventually racing for Madonna.

More good times for me playing GTR2.

I have tried out some more mods and even added some more tracks. I have enjoyed two different Porsche mods. One is with the 2011 Porsche Cayman S. The cars are pretty nimble and fun to drive. Because I have a template package for the 2009 Porsche Supercup, I downloaded the 2009 Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup. Those GT3 Cup Porsches are amazing! They remain fairly stable even if you completely miss braking points or drive too erratically. I took the Cayman S mod and made a skin for it. Trouble is that I have to load it in GTR2 to see the actual skins on the cars because 3DSimEd fails to load the proper skin for the car when previewing.

As for tracks, I added a number of tracks recently including (but not limited to) Zolder, Circuit of the Americas (COTA), Fuji, Road America, and Watkins Glen. And yes- I picked up Road America for that super unique TV view of that one room with the Coca-Cola can around the Start/Finish line. I remembered it from watching the GTR2 GT3 races from our good GTPlanet mate rallymorten.

I got back into trying to make videos from GTR2. I had to re-learn some things, but I think I am ready to return to making a video. I made one earlier exclusively in my Facebook profile. There are maybe two (maybe three) projects I have in mind to showcase in videos.

The last musing to share is that I've been using the Formula Armaroli mod made for GTR2. It got me to try certain former F1 tracks to see what times I could clock on some of them. One of those I tried out was Watkins Glen's long configuration. There are two of the long configurations- one with the bus stop chicane, and one without the bus stop chicane. The former is the long configuration in question. It was actually pretty fun racing Watkins Glen in an early-90's style F1 car.

It is like I try to find new ways to enjoy GTR2, and I am doing just that. That's saying something for a game that's 10 years old yet still loved by many.

So as a fan of Britcar, I've spent a fair amount of time devising a custom grid for GTR2 based on the series.

Here is the grid. Every car/livery is linked, one way or another, to a car that raced in Britcar at some point. I will admit that there are one or two exceptions to the rule, so feel free to quiz me if something jumps out to you particularly. It's worth noting that since I am not a skinner, a majority of the skins I'm using aren't quite right, but a lot of them are VERY close, mostly through Dutch Supercar and British GT teams that also entered Britcar.

There are three classes.

Class One is for GTE/GT2/GT3/ machinery, select prototypes and other GT cars. The list of cars present are as follows, with the cars that have been slowed accordingly in bold.

Audi R8 LMS; BMW Z4 GT2; Chevrolet Corvette C5 LMGT; Chrysler Viper GTS-R; Ferrari 430 GTC; Ferrari 458 GT3; Ginetta LMP3; Marcos LM600; Mosler MT900R; Mosler MT900R GT3; Opel Astra DTM; Pilbeam MP84 LMP675; Porsche 911 (993) GT2; Porsche 996 Bi-Turbo; Porsche 997 GT3-RSR; Radical RXC GT3 Turbo; Ultima GTR.

Class Two is for Pre-2010 GT3, pre-2005 GT2 and a variety of single-make cars.

Aston Martin DBRS9; BMW E46 M3 (From a one-make mod); BMW E92 M3 (V8 Superstars); Dodge Viper Competition Coupe; Holden Commodore V8 Supercar (2006); Jaguar S-Type R (V8 Superstar); Lamborghini Gallardo GT3; Lotus Exige 300RR/GT3; Lotus Evora Endurance/GTC; Marcos MarCorElly; Morgan Aero 8; Opel Omega V8Star; Peugeot Brazilian(?) V8 Stock Car; Porsche 996 GT3-R/RS; Porsche 997 GT3 Cup; Renault Megane Trophy 2011.

Class Three is for GT4, slower/older single make cars and on-pace saloon/touring cars.

Audi A4 SuperTourer; BMW E36 M3; BMW M3 (E92) GT4; Ferrari 360 Challenge; Ford Focus RS (2009); Honda Accord SuperTourer; Ginetta G50 GT4; Lotus 2-Eleven; Lotus Elise; Marcos Mantis; Maserati GT Trofeo (2005); Porsche 996 GT3 Cup; Renault Megane; TVR Tuscan Challenge; Volkswagen Golf GTI (Mk.V)

There was going to be a fourth class for S2000 cars and cars of a similar speed, but I felt like it was too much for the AI to handle. The grid total is 62 cars.

Last edited:
For a project I have planned, I decided to finally try using Talent files. I set up a few Heat races, and how each of the AI drivers finish along with what times they set in the race will determine who gets improved or declining stats. So drivers who placed high in the heats are the ones who will be installed as favorites. The ones who place the worst are the ones who will be more of the backmarkers and not-so-talented types. Those who have good finishes and good lap times will get consistency improvements. Those placing poorly and having slow times will get consistency declines. I don't usually think to add talent files, because these little projects I create were not meant to be proper series with legitimate personalities. However, I do want to practice the usage of RCD Talent files.

I solved one problem I had with one of my projects. My cars would have a nearly opaque in-car view, and it only happens at one course. I found out I needed to put in a certain extra file to define the windshield view. All is well now.

If I come up with anything cool, I surely will share it here on GTPlanet, my blogs, and on social media.

That Talent experiment? It hasn't produced the kind of results I was hoping for. I gave all of the drivers essentially the same RCD Talent file, and all that seems to happen is that one of my racers would pass a bunch of people, then be way behind someone leading the race by a huge margin. So I ended up getting rid of the talent files and just let the drivers settle the score themselves. Identical cars shouldn't really have to be contended by making one driver somehow better than everybody else.

There were really two things I have considered- (1) keep the Talent files and do some adjusting, or (2) only give Talent files to certain drivers whom I want to stand out (or be the laughing stock) of the field. I sort of considered the latter. I removed the Talent files as I put together a race that I wanted to make a video of. The field then was back to being more competitive with almost any of them having an equal chance of winning as I removed the Talent files I set up for them. While I do want to have some popular drivers established, I also want close and competitive racing. I wasn't getting the close fields in my Talent editing. So I dropped those files I had set up.

As of this post, I actually did two individual races and have yet to come up with a video package. So I will be coming up with a couple more videos as I try to return to making my first GTR2 video since making my first one back in August 2016.

Nothing new to report, but I was able to get rid of those idle garage sounds. Turns out there are two MP3 files in one of the Sounds folders that have the idle garage noise. I simply removed them from that folder. Now, I can hear the action without the [rather long] two idle garage ambient sounds.

I still am trying to review the replays I made on two races I set up and trying to find the best bits to make video recordings of. One race I actually had to re-do because while I thought the race went the proper length, it actually turned out to be shorter than what I initially prepared. So I tried to set up a race of about the distance I wanted the race to run in its initial length. For one of the two races, it was to be a 20-minute race, and the race ended up being 11 minutes long. I had to go from setting time to setting laps for one of those races I set up.

Again... whatever I come up with, I'll share online.

I decided to create my own GT World Championship class and it really payed off.

The question is how do I make my own championship? I have the car class prepped and the tracks as well (I have Tokyo R246, Grand Valley, Seattle, High Speed Ring, etc.) but how do I make one?

Nice to see this thread brought back. Before I begin, let me apologize in advance if I am discussing anything illegal here.

Anyhow, someone long ago made a conversion of the cars from "GT Legends" to "GTR2." There's this and then the Power and Glory mod as far as classic cars are concerned. I tried out the GT Legends deal. Let me tell you- while I never really have been intrigued about classic car racing, I think it is great seeing and racing these classic cars. A lot of the basic GT and touring car machines of the '60s are wonderful. A few cars of then are from the '70s. A lot of those '70s cars, however, are pretty difficult to handle. Vintage cars usually are tough to drive anyways since they don't have the sophistication and control of a lot of modern cars have. It does, however, make you appreciate how real drivers were able to control even the more ferocious classic cars in all kinds of races as the automobile was continuing to evolve. Because of having to have a more complete install of GTR2 or something, that's why I didn't go with the Power and Glory mod.

The reason why I tried out this avenue of classic cars is because part of me wants to try to practice making vintage style skins. I otherwise am not good at attempting historically-accurate styles. Cars didn't have as many extravagant graphics and stuff then. Though all of the cars from that GTL-GTR2 mod all look great, some cars aren't even historically accurate at all. For example, there were one or two Porsches that had online URLs. The Internet was around then, but no consumer Internet until the '90s.

Very cool vintage experience for me.

Back