GTR2 Official!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 923 comments
ok guys, i'm downloading it....312 mb...should be done in 90 mins.... will post my imoression :D

EDIT// ok, i downloaded and installed everthing, but the problem that i have is, when i click onto start, the i can see the barcelona circuit loading, and on the bottom left i can see the track name loading, but then suddenly the game quits and i'm on my desktop....

what could the problem be?? i think it might be that my notebook cant handle the game anymore??

what videocard/cpu/ram does your notebook have? i think its okay to double post if your 2nd post is 2 hours later :P

I'm still downloading it after what will be 2 hours in 9 minutes, rofl.

I'll give my impressions when I get a chance (82% done).

superfast
1-When is GTR2 supposed to be out?

2-How much can I get GTR1 for now?

1-September
2-£4.99

Encyclopedia
For some reason it stutters badly on my computer but GTR 1 and GTL run silky smooth.

I'm not too impressed with it at all. It feel a lot more arcadey even on the sim-settings and it's very easy. Exact same engine sounds as well.

I have heard a lot of people say these things, Exact same engine sounds, well, yeah, theres only so many sounds a Lamborghini Murielago R-GT and Ferrari 575 make, seeing as GTRs engine sounds were recorder from the cars it would be hard to have anything else....it feels more arcadey i think, because its more realistic, if you get my drift, the cars have more grip, watch in real gt, they dont slide at low rpm, they can correct the car when the tail steps out a bit and they push to the limit with high amounts of grip! You couldnt do that in GTR1, imo its much better, much more realistic. As for the stuttering, i didnt get any, constant 50-60fps, bearing in mind my pc has 1gb ram, 128 on board intel graphics chip, 2.8ghz processor, the only suffering mine has is when it rains at night, thats a real fps killer.

Gabkicks
my impressions after 8 laps of practice and 1 race against 7 other cars.

it is much easier to drive near the limit. feels alot better but some things are still missing.

I couldnt stand driving in gtr but this is enjoyable at the moment.
the graphics are okay. the damage modeling is still very simple. you can smash into another car with relative force and there won't be a dint or any visible damage.

i havent tested framerates yet. on default aggression the AI seem to backoff too easily... so once you pass them... they pretty much cant repass you unles you are slow. I cant speak for the higher agression levels. I set the game to full sim mode.

I agree with 99% of what you say, its definatly easier to drive on the limit, wether thats a good or bad thing is up to you to decide, i think its good as it makes the races "feel" more realistic, wether they are or not again, up to you. I think they are and so do a lot of other people. I could stand driving in GTR, but after playing GTR2 there will be little enjoyment in GTR, it is a lot of fun and as for the AI i thought they were much much better, i was having some great battles for position where me and ai cars were constantly overtaking eachother, was great fun. Personally, i think the graphics look really good, they are smooth, theres no more stuttering like in GTR1, its smoother and its easier on the eye, the rain looks amazing and the day/night transitions look bloody marvellous.

My thoughts n this game then? BRING ON SEPTEMBER!

The cars are easier to drive on the limit, I can slide the Murcielago around and hit rumble strips harder than I used to in GTR1.

Terrific NEWS!

From Dino @UCP:
From AutoSimSport Wires: "Informed sources have revealed to AutoSimSport that Starforce has been dropped from GTR2 - both the demo version available today and the final release version scheduled September 30th. Sources reveal that 10Tacle have, instead, opted for securrom, which our source reveals as a "Sony solution".

Ashley.
... as for the AI i thought they were much much better, i was having some great battles for position where me and ai cars were constantly overtaking eachother, was great fun.
My thoughts n this game then? BRING ON SEPTEMBER!

yeah, i accidentally bumped the difficulty up to max and when went to race... all of the sudden they were able to pass me back and they also seemed to drive defencivly a bit. 👍

My thoughts:

Sound:
The Ferraris are whinier, the S7Rs are louder, and the sound is just better. The engines are amazing, and hearing them on an idle stop just gives you an idea of about what you're going to push. The crowd is a huge improvement. Hearing the whistles and the horns is new to me, and adds to the realism.

My negatives are hearing the pit sounds when you're out across the track watching the cars race. 1 more is not hearing the nuts being taken off the wheels (though you still hear the tires hit the road).

Cars:
The improvement is way better. The cockpits are much nicer. The headlights are greatly improved. They're much more realistic. You can clearly see the lights in the dark, and tell which car is which. Not to mention, some of the cars like the Viper look like a freaking badass beast at night in your rear view mirror. The same pretty much goes for the brake lights. Much clearer, and much nicer to look at it. The cars are much cleaner, much more graphical, and again, nicer to look it. The cars' drivers are more realism, and while the shifter doesn't move, who cares? At least it's there, and it looks nicer. 1 other deal, I personally like, is that the Murcielago is finally a competitive car, and can now run with the Saleens and Ferraris.

Negatives: Minor nitpicking that they don't move (but who cares again). Another minor is the driver's changing in the car, but their hand not when you're looking at it outside the car.

AI: Real big improvement here. Much more realistic in racing, and now, your 2nd driver is actually GOOD. He finally has the ability to set some good lap times and be competitive in the race.

Graphics:
Ok, you can EASILY tell its improved here. The brake heat is now here, the lights are better. The scenery for the track is greater, and as said, the cars are obvious. There really is no negative here.

Other:
Pit crews are a perfect addition. The animations aren't perfect, but their there and they, like other things, add to realism. Sadly, I can not say about other cars though there appears to be an option for them to have visible ones. I say this because, well, on a 15 lap race, they don't pit.

Options are a very noticeable thing, and they were just what I wanted. In the past, I've said I've liked to let the AI race, but I can never watch my car finish the race.
Not the case here.
Here, you have 2 options for AI.
1) Either you or your AI start the race. Now, when he pits (given you chose him; and he actually does pit, whoppee!), you had another option. Either you or him stays in the car. I chose him, and sure enough, you're just asked what you want done with the clipboard as usual. Sure enough, he pits, gets it done, and goes out racing.

Now, when he is chosen, and on Qualifying or Practice, he does something similar to Sportscar GT. If you remember this game, when you switch to your 2nd driver (a 30 second change). So, afterwards, when he left the pits was his decision. In GTR2, you have the choice to wait him out, OR make his ass go. In the 1st, after 1 time, I remember he couldn't go twice. I can not say for this one since he never pitted.

Night time racing as an option. This is definately a much wanted one for some of us. Though you can't choose it for Qualifying and Practice, you can choose what time you want to race. Set it 20:00, and you're racing at night. This is a pleasure given GTR never let us experienced any courses at night besides, what, 2? Spa and the oval, correct? Not the case here. Now it'll appear we can race Monza, Bahrain, and any of the other courses when we want. The night time racing is simply cool. Racing in cockpit view, the changing of the lights to a darkness is great and gives a feel of realism as you try to see your wheel. In the dark spots, you have to judge purely on headlights and brake lights. Once you reach a lightened area, it gets easier, and it looks great since unlike some games, the whole area isn't lightened up by 3 lights. The "color" of the lights is also more realistic. The lights in pitland form a more realistic shape on the road, esp. over your pit area.

Time or Laps is another nifty little feature in the game. If you only 45 minutes free, set your time to 30 minutes. Or if you feel like doing a 10-lap race, we now have that option.

The weather seems different and more based upon rain than other effects like fog. This is still an neat little improvement to see during the race.

Damage: Still a bit the same, and still a little strange. Slight taps still cause some wierd damage, such as either too much, or none at all. Still, enough to be satisfactory.

Handling: 50/50 depending on your likeness. For those who want hardcore, no hold's bar from the 1st, may find that even at a Pro Level (Still very hard), the car's are a little easier. However, the other 50 should come as a thanks now that more people can drive in the game.

My negatives are very minor because, well, these are small things that are good enough.Either way, it'll be a definite buy from me, and I can't wait to give me a run on GTR2's 24 Hour races.

about the same as gtr. infact it runs faster on my pc than the original gtr and much smoother...

ATi Radeon 9800pro users and below have been having problems with the game.

Gabkicks
what videocard/cpu/ram does your notebook have? i think its okay to double post if your 2nd post is 2 hours later :P

i got a AMD Athlon with 2.5 GHZ, and 512mb of Ram, and a Ati Mobility Radeon 9200 with 128MB....:)

I downloaded it last night, haven't had a go yet though and I'm off to work in 15 mins. but I'll get a game in later and gie you all my impressions.

Christhedude
i got a AMD Athlon with 2.5 GHZ, and 512mb of Ram, and a Ati Mobility Radeon 9200 with 128MB....:)

lol...qoting myself...:D

i just wanna know if its possible to play gtr2 with that notebook. i can play gtr with any probs on medium....:)

Small_Fryz
had a little session in the lambo, 1'38.4. nothing special though.

I need some huge practice. I'm not even close.

gtr2demo2006072117043307ec7.jpg

Love this game.

What's the recommended steering lock btw? I'm guessing 230 degrees?

Oh and don't forget to put it to full sim mode people ;)

El Gigante
You should be able to play it fine, on lowish settings.

ok, i tried putting everything on low and 1024*768= got kicked out
i tried lowish setting @ 800*600= got kicked out....

what wrong with it??

Try updating your graphics cards drivers, also I know I shouldn't really be linking to other forums but google race sim central and register there, they have a dedicated GTR community and they will probably be quicker to rsolve your problem.

live4speed
Try updating your graphics cards drivers, also I know I shouldn't really be linking to other forums but google race sim central and register there, they have a dedicated GTR community and they will probably be quicker to rsolve your problem.

ok thanks live4speed :)

its alright, i just play GTR1 and stay with it, cause in august i'm gonna buy the new ACER Notebook, so i wont have to worry about it anymore :D

the fastest time i've seen is 1:34 with the ferrari. I have only been able to get a 1:38. but now i have moved on to trying to get 7:00 lap around the nurburgring Nordshieffe :D sofar my fastest lap out of 3 tries is 7:40...

i also have been trying out suzuka.

Gabkicks
the fastest time i've seen is 1:34 with the ferrari. I have only been able to get a 1:38. but now i have moved on to trying to get 7:00 lap around the nurburgring Nordshieffe :D sofar my fastest lap out of 3 tries is 7:40...

i also have been trying out suzuka.

Can you post a pic?

I've been working on unlocking the cars, but I did not think you could a course like the 'Ring.

Saleen S7R, here I come!

*McLaren*
I've been working on unlocking the cars, but I did not think you could a course like the 'Ring.

Saleen S7R, here I come!
Unlocking cars?! The 'Ring?!

Back