GTR2 Official!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 923 comments
Just watched the GTR2 Spa 24 hour trailer. Looks absolutely brill imo!

One thing worrying me is the crash physics, i know its based on the ISI engine still (ISI-2 now i think) so there is not much they can do with crashes and damage but the way the porsche rolled looked very unrealistic. Then again, your not really meant to crash:D

Other than that, the rain looked great on the windscreen, animated pit stops, much better day/night transition and the commentary sounded absolutely fantastic!

I get the feeling the comentary was only for that video and is not going to be in the game.

Also, the sound seemed exactly the same as in GTR. I really hope they improve it.

There will be news about a demo in the coming weeks according to some sources over at the RSC forums. Let's hope it gets here soon! 👍

Yeah the commentary did seem very specific!

I dont think the sound needs improved at all, in GTR1 it is already fantastic! Wasn't it recorded from the real cars? i'm sure you can only do so much with the noise of real cars:D

Yeah the engine sounds in GTR can't really be improved upon without better 3d sound sterio systems.

I'm reffering to the outside engine noise. It's even worse than GT4 in some cases (like the corvette.) They did it a lot better in GTL.

They could probably refine the sounds a bit to make them even better.

I think people are too picky. What do you concentrate on most when racing? You concentrate on driving cleanly, getting the lap right, overtaking the next car, shaving tenths off your time..not omg i cant hear the wind, or omg the engines are not dynamic noise..yeah it would be nice but in reality who gives a ****!:D

Ashley.
One thing worrying me is the crash physics, ...but the way the porsche rolled looked very unrealistic. Then again, your not really meant to crash:D
That's true but the crash physics is a part of the car physics, so if this is unreal, I wonder if the car physics is good enough?????

The calculations to determine how a car will roll is not the same as the calculations for how the suspension works, how the tyre's react to your inputs etc. It's all integrated into one physics engine, but what I'm saynig is you can have unrealistic crashes but very realistic cornering and driving. Ofcourse, it would be better if everythnig was as right as possible, but that crash was probably staged with a script for the video as was most of that race imo. GTR2 should be more realistic than GTR, no doubt about it, lets wait for the demo.

About the trailer still. It looks brilliant! At least to me cause I haven't played even the original GTR yet. But I'm definately going to get that game when it's released. First I'll get the GTR and then later during the summer the GTR2. I know exactly how I'll spend my summer holiday :dopey:
Oh, and BTW. What do you guys believe will the minimum specs of the computer be to run GTR2? How much better than the minimum specs GTR needs? I'm just about to get myself a new computer and I'd like it to be good enough to run GTR2.

And I'm sure GTR2 will be awesome.

Ashley.
I think people are too picky. What do you concentrate on most when racing? You concentrate on driving cleanly, getting the lap right, overtaking the next car, shaving tenths off your time..not omg i cant hear the wind, or omg the engines are not dynamic noise..yeah it would be nice but in reality who gives a ****!:D
The question is not "why?" but "why not?"

GTR already has most things close to perfect. It's those little things that make games enjoyable. The wind noise, better force feedback and dynamic engine sounds all help to immerse you into the race.

SkylineGoes
Oh, and BTW. What do you guys believe will the minimum specs of the computer be to run GTR2?
GTR2 will be a little more demanding than the current GTL game. I've you have a pc that can run GTL with a descent FPS (at higher settings), then you need a little pc boost (upgrade) to run GTR2. This is no assumption but really how it's going to be. So, check the specification to run GTL and get a pc that's a little more powerfull than that and you'll be okay.
This is why I sold my computer. Always upgrading every half year. Too expensive and frustrating. I want GTR and GTL on the PS3 and if there is a descent logitech wheel, shifter, and pedals with clutc (like the G25 for pc and PS3), I'll definitely get myself a Xbox 360. GTR will be released in 2007 on the Xbox 360.

My 3 year old + PC can run GTL at max setting with 30+ car grids at night at over 60fps, I should think it'll do fine for GTR2. Over 3 years I've upgraded it once, with one piece of hardware.

Hey all,

Just refering back to the engine sounds, an aquaintance of mine works for a company that specializes in racing cockpits and driving simulators and on the side he has been doing some development for games on the PC side. He used the baisic GTR engine and has put in Rolex Sports Cars, British Carrera Cup, and most outragiously ChampCar. Now, I have yet to purchase GTR because my parents won't buy me a new computer specifically for gaming, because I got Xbox and PS2, but having tried my buddy's mod on one of his driving simulators (with an LCD plasma screen) I thought GTR seemed excellent. I'm not sure what he did to get the Rolex cars into the game but I've raced as a Lexus/Riley and Porsche GT3 and thought that the engines sounded awesome both in and outside the cars, and as I was being lapped, lapping or battling for position the cars around me sounded great to. Now, I'm not sure how much work he did on getting those things just right but, heck if these were remotely like what GTR2 will be I'm gonna have to drop the $500 on a new computer and maybe even $20K (I wish!!!) on one of those simulators. Absolutely incredible stuff. Oh... and the $50 on the game of course.

m.piedgros

hey guys,
i got the email from gamespot, that the demo will be out today 9 am....its not noon, and still i cant find the demo....i wanna play that game!!! :D

In the upper right corner you'll find a counter until the demo will be available. Think gamershell will have the demo earlier :D

Who cares it still kicks serious butt!

So much smoother than gtr, no stuttering and it looks ace. day/night transition looks amazing as does the rain.

For some reason it stutters badly on my computer but GTR 1 and GTL run silky smooth.

I'm not too impressed with it at all. It feel a lot more arcadey even on the sim-settings and it's very easy. Exact same engine sounds as well.

my impressions after 8 laps of practice and 1 race against 7 other cars.

it is much easier to drive near the limit. feels alot better but some things are still missing. I couldnt stand driving in gtr but this is enjoyable at the moment.

the graphics are okay. the damage modeling is still very simple. you can smash into another car with relative force and there won't be a dint or any visible damage.

i havent tested framerates yet. on default aggression the AI seem to backoff too easily... so once you pass them... they pretty much cant repass you unles you are slow. I cant speak for the higher agression levels. I set the game to full sim mode.

Back