GTS Cockpit View

• Thread starter Trick_13
  • 43 comments
United Kingdom
North East England
Trick-Chapman13
Hi all,

Whilst using cockpit view on GTS it is not possible to remove the games driver hands and/or steering wheel. Why is this?

As a sim racer I personally want the choice to be able to remove the games driver hands and steering wheel from the dashboard so my own hands and steering wheel replace them for a better more immersive experience.
This is possible on titles such as Dirt Rally 2.0, Project Cars 2 and even an older title such as Assetto Corsa (PS4, December 2014).
Understandably this is not to everyone’s liking but I think it should be down to personal choice and that choice should be available to everyone. After all GTS is supposed to be
“The Real Driving Simulator”

Whilst using cockpit view on GTS it is not possible to remove the games driver hands and/or steering wheel. Why is this?

It's because Polyphony Digital couldn't care less about the options players want. They make their game their way & are not particularly interested in implementing most of the common-sense options that players have been asking for. This one has been asked for so many times over the years that I've lost count. I even asked for it once here.

Hi all,

As a sim racer I personally want the choice to be able to remove the games driver hands and steering wheel from the dashboard so my own hands and steering wheel replace them for a better more immersive experience.
This is possible on titles such as Dirt Rally 2.0, Project Cars 2 and even an older title such as Assetto Corsa (PS4, December 2014).
Understandably this is not to everyone’s liking but I think it should be down to personal choice and that choice should be available to everyone. After all GTS is supposed to be

Well we have been begging for such a feature ever since the game was released.

But nope nothing unfortunately its sad really.

After all GTS is supposed to be

Hiding the steering wheel is not related to simulation though.

As for why the option is not in the game, it’s anyone’s guess. Could be

• licensing (the wheel is often displaying the brand of the car),
  • design (the wheel is a key element of the interior design),
  • UI design (too many options make the menus difficult to navigate),
  • ignorance (they’re not aware that people want this feature),
  • niche feature (few players are interested so it’s not worth spending the time to implement it),
  • other (please specify below)

I know which of these I'd rather look at.

Gran Turismo™SPORT_20200412145800.jpg
Project CARS 2_20200412145033.jpg

The only way I'd want the wheel removed is if my wheel completely covered the wheel on the screen, which it is nowhere near doing.

Then you've got the issue of LMP wheels that are the dashboard and contain all of the info you need. I appreciate that PC2 leaves the screens from the wheel on screen in a stationary position, but that doesn't look right or accurate either (and if your wheel is covering that, what's the point...?)

VBR
I even asked for it once here.

And this quote from that thread sums things up well. @Johnnypenso is the author:

“What [Polyphony Digital] don't realize is that you can appeal to all types of players at the same timethrough options. Customization is the key to the future success for GT and they are failing on almost all fronts. The days of a one-size-fits-all game with zero difficulty adjustments...is over and done. Customization is everywhere around us and it's now standard to be able to tailor most things in our lives to our individual needs..
.”

I personally don’t care if you use a wide or narrow FOV, cockpit wheel or not, I want options. And this franchise is sorely lagging behind all the rest.

Hi all,

Although it’s not really what you’re asking for. It’s worth pointing out GT’s ‘Bumper Cam’ view is not really a bumper cam.

It’s the drivers eye view as if you’re sat in the middle of the car. So you get the feeling of cockpit cam. Rather than being perched out on the nose of the car.

I would prefer there to be hands, arms and a wheel rather than a stump of where the wheel should be in an otherwise perfectly detailed cockpit.

If that’s what you prefer then that’s entirely your choice and I’m sure many others feel the same. I also don’t like just a stump and the indicator stalks on show but that doesn’t have to be the case. In the other 3 titles I mention in my OP it’s possible for another view which is slightly closer to the dash so you don’t see the stalk/stump effect. This view allows me to still see the dials but my steering wheel in place of the one on screen. I’m sure many others would like this as a choice on GTS then they can choose to use it or not. Assetto Corsa (PS4) handles this very well with all cars especially the F1 cars. Make no mistake I am a huge fan of GTS, started playing it in mid March last year and by January this year I’d clocked over 900 hours. The graphics are absolutely stunning and second to no other racing game on PS4 in my opinion. A game that has a headline slogan “The Real Driving Simulator” should have all options covered including the one in my OP, this way it’s down to the player how immersive or un-immersive he wants the experience to be. Not really the best of photos but these are from Dirt Rally 2.0 and shows it can be done.

Attachments

• 5587539E-57EB-41EE-81EF-EAF9D9F2A108.png
    5587539E-57EB-41EE-81EF-EAF9D9F2A108.png
    85 KB · Views: 57
  • 0C4D0B99-27B2-4899-85BD-DDE0D01C3628.png
    0C4D0B99-27B2-4899-85BD-DDE0D01C3628.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
And this quote from that thread sums things up well. @Johnnypenso is the author:

“What [Polyphony Digital] don't realize is that you can appeal to all types of players at the same timethrough options. Customization is the key to the future success for GT and they are failing on almost all fronts. The days of a one-size-fits-all game with zero difficulty adjustments...is over and done. Customization is everywhere around us and it's now standard to be able to tailor most things in our lives to our individual needs..
.”

I personally don’t care if you use a wide or narrow FOV, cockpit wheel or not, I want options. And this franchise is sorely lagging behind all the rest.

I agree it’s all about options for the player. If the option I was talking about wasn’t available at all in any other titles then so be it. The fact it is available in other titles just makes it more frustrating as GTS is a game I like to play but for me personally it’s all about the immersion and the feeling of actually sitting in the car, that immersive feeling gets thrown out the window when I can see the on screen hands and wheel turning, it also puts me off my racing. Again this is down to personal choice and I’m sure millions would want the same option as me and I’m sure millions wouldn’t be bothered. But as you say why not have that option and appeal to everyone.

I like cockpit view.
Dr2 has the no wheel option but I don’t care for it.
Cockpit gives you so much feedback about your inputs and the cars response.
Yeah but more option for cockpit view better for us players, i don't know what costs to PD to make something like on AC where you have fov settings,free adjustable camera position all around the cockpit,no wheel view etc.. I don't know why this is a bad thing for PD

It probably comes down to development time which PD has always had a problem with. It's probably on a list somewhere of things the game could implement but there are probably other things ranked higher on the list thats still not in game. Still maybe if more people raised the awareness towards them that this is an important feature itll have a better chance to make it in the next game.

Yeah but more option for cockpit view better for us players, i don't know what costs to PD to make something like on AC where you have fov settings,free adjustable camera position all around the cockpit,no wheel view etc.. I don't know why this is a bad thing for PD

More hud options would be great. Maybe a no wheel cockpit if people like, but with regards to fov, they know how they want the game to look. They scanned the tracks and cars and went onsite and took video and photograph and I just think they see no point to adjustments that distort what looks how they want it to look.
Like why would you wanna select in in car cam that sees from behind the drivers headrest? Some games do it! I don’t think that’s reality though.
Pd stuck to their guns with no cockpit virtual mirror.
The REAL driving simulator is their slogan...
(Lol) :) :)

More hud options would be great. Maybe a no wheel cockpit if people like, but with regards to fov, they know how they want the game to look. They scanned the tracks and cars and went onsite and took video and photograph and I just think they see no point to adjustments that distort what looks how they want it to look.
Like why would you wanna select in in car cam that sees from behind the drivers headrest? Some games do it! I don’t think that’s reality though.
That has to be the worse reason ever to not have a basic fundamental feature [FOV settings], seen even in some arcade racers.

That has to be the worse reason ever to not have a basic fundamental feature [FOV settings], seen even in some arcade racers.

I just bet you PD doesn’t want to give people the ability to distort what they worked hard to create. I don’t get why you’d want the bizarre through a telescope fov available in game that’s all.
It’s doesnt look like that when you are in a car.

Oh cmon that's just a stupid excuse... FOV actually is fundamental in sim racing since you have to adjust it depending on the screen size,no reason at all not to have it.

Last edited:
Oh cmon that's just a stupid excuse... FOV actually is fundamental in sim racing since you have to adjust it depending on the screen size,no reason at all not to have it.

Could be they don’t need video comparisons of reality to gts with people warping the fov then trolling them.
If all I had was AC and wondered what Brands looks like it would be very tough to determine what’s correct. Now, that title offers no setup wizards that I saw on console.
I mean if it IS essential, then imo the next title should have a setup wizard walking you through it like on the screen settings.
Or, use a big screen and get close to it. That works great on gts.
I would doubt that most players have any concern about fov at all. They want more tracks and cars.
Those that care can setup their rig right for the fixed fov.
I have to say though it’s amazing how much influence FOV has and how much one can gain by it being close to perfect compared to miles off.

Then you'd need a dedicated TV and rig setup... I have a 37 inch TV and, at best, it's like driving from the back seat with extra pair of hands, which is not immersive at all... Not to mention how pitch black shadows and in-game hands/rim make it difficult to read gauges.

I would doubt that most players have any concern about fov at all. They want more tracks and cars.
Most of players drive on pad while laying on sofa... Just a minority uses cockpit view, due to it's limitations.
Maybe for rights to brag, rather than for immersion.

Only those with a TV stand can.

P.S. I find fixed/calculated FoV far worse, so i always adjust it to my own preference.

Last edited:
@Knukel
It is definitely too bad GTS does not come with a big screen tv and cool wheel and driving rig.
But, it’s awesome that everyone can compete together. Look at NASCAR, those pros with 40 thousand in their rig lost to a guy at a desk with a small monitor lol. In GTS fast is fast there’s many ways to do it and all can compete together, as long as they have at least a functional controller and screen of some sort and internet, there’s viewpoints that work.
Cheers

They scanned the tracks and cars and went onsite and took video and photograph and I just think they see no point to adjustments that distort what looks how they want it to look.
That's not how FOV works at all.

Could be they don’t need video comparisons of reality to gts with people warping the fov then trolling them.
If all I had was AC and wondered what Brands looks like it would be very tough to determine what’s correct. Now, that title offers no setup wizards that I saw on console.
I mean if it IS essential, then imo the next title should have a setup wizard walking you through it like on the screen settings.
It's really not difficult at all to get it set right in AC or any other title for that matter, the internet is awash with set-up tools and guides.

It's a tool that all should have access to, as the option to 'just get a bigger screen and move closer to it' would still need a calculator to know how close is correct for your screen size.

I have to say though it’s amazing how much influence FOV has and how much one can gain by it being close to perfect compared to miles off.
And now you're contradicting yourself.

nd now you're contradicting yourself

No, however I do appreciate that people like yourself who study these things and take them to a scientific level share that information.
In AC on console they don’t provide any explanation or link in game to a you tube or something, so if you start adjusting FOV you have no way of knowing right from wrong and the span of available ways to make the track look is huge.
I think these games need a feature when they at least mention the concept when you start the game. I’d venture 99 percent of people have no idea about what FOV is in GTS.
I definitely don’t wanna argue a point beyond saying cockpit view on GTS looks and works excellent if it’s a good sized screen and the players close, that’s all.
I defer to your expertise on this matter definitely.
I’d just like a setup wizard, or some mention about these concepts in the game. A person shouldn’t have to figure this out on their own by trial and error nor should a person be expected to know to search the internet for information on a concept like this that’s not mentioned at all anywhere when starting up the game. If they don’t know the concept why would they search for it?
The reason I seem to always comment on cockpit is because for myself it’s far and away the fastest and safest and most consistent view for me that’s all.
I get triggered by all the BS comments made by many (not saying yourself, but many negative Nancies) that often spew nonsense that the viewpoint is unusable bad in GTS.

Edit also thank you for sharing information here.

No, however I do appreciate that people like yourself who study these things and take them to a scientific level share that information.
In AC on console they don’t provide any explanation or link in game to a you tube or something, so if you start adjusting FOV you have no way of knowing right from wrong and the span of available ways to make the track look is huge.
Which is exactly the same with GTS and how big your screen would need to be and how close you would need to sit to it.

I think these games need a feature when they at least mention the concept when you start the game. I’d venture 99 percent of people have no idea about what FOV is in GTS.
That may well be the case, but the same is true of GTS.

I definitely don’t wanna argue a point beyond saying cockpit view on GTS looks and works excellent if it’s a good sized screen and the players close, that’s all.
The FOV that defaults in GTS will not be right for the vast majority of people playing it.

I’d just like a setup wizard, or some mention about these concepts in the game. A person shouldn’t have to figure this out on their own by trial and error nor should a person be expected to know to search the internet for information on a concept like this that’s not mentioned at all anywhere when starting up the game. If they don’t know the concept why would they search for it?
The reason I seem to always comment on cockpit is because for myself it’s far and away the fastest and safest and most consistent view for me that’s all.
Once again, the exact same is true for GTS, I agree that a set-up wizard should be the norm, but that includes GTS.

I get triggered by all the BS comments made by many (not saying yourself, but many negative Nancies) that often spew nonsense that the viewpoint is unusable bad in GTS.
I've never seen anyone say that personally, I have seen many say that the default view is too wide and they would like a way to adjust it. The first of which is a fact for the majority and the second is a more than reasonable request.

Back