GTSport takes 1 in Japanese game sales for the week!!

• Thread starter Skulli
  • 208 comments
I also gave forza6 a perfect=10, horizon3=9 Pcars a 0, Pcar2=10 at first but then 8 because screen lagging/freezing. yep, it is okay to call my reviews fishy if you wish, but those are my opinions. My reviews are made specifically to inform other gamers alike on how I feel about the game.

What I don't use my reviews for is to force a game company to compromise on their development process, or force them to apologize.
Don't be fooled by the fake reviews doing damage control. Gran Turismo Sport is clearly the best racer in this generation. Full of content, this game is pure quality with no strings attached.
Every other review you left, you actually attempted to give out reasoning. This however, is doing exactly what you think others are being "fishy" about; it's made purely to counter-act the negatives.

It's wholly unsurprising that someone that gave GT Sport a 10/10 rating on Metacritic the day it released would find any negative user reviews fishy, but not take issue at all with any of the perfect scores.

I also gave forza6 a perfect=10, horizon3=9 Pcars a 0, Pcar2=10 at first but then 8 because screen lagging/freezing. yep, it is okay to call my reviews fishy if you wish, but those are my opinions. My reviews are made specifically to inform other gamers alike on how I feel about the game.

What I don't use my reviews for is to force a game company to compromise on their development process, or force them to apologize.

Every other review you left, you actually attempted to give out reasoning. This however, is doing exactly what you think others are being "fishy" about; it's made purely to counter-act the negatives.

I think you are drawing conclusions here. Please provide a quote to where I'm saying this.

I never specify any attempts or reasoning of others for the "fishy" amazon ratings. (I suggest you refer to the review thread to discuss that)

unless you have some psychic powers, please don't consider it fact about what you think I "think", you only talk about what I said.

With that said McLaren, what do you think about the data from the Japanese week sales in relation to the reviews?

Last edited:
In the three instances you mention you can easily explain away with translation and language differences. The translation can be accurate to the tee but the context of the statement or the meaning of the statement can have a difference between Japanese and English. It happens all the time in anime/manga. It's not an excuse, it's just a plain fact that things can and are lost in translation. It doesn't help that Kaz and PD have often been vague in the past!
Then explain why the Japanese buyers feel misled.

I think you are drawing conclusions here. Please provide a quote to where I'm saying this.
Try the very first thing you wrote in your "review":
Don't be fooled by the fake reviews doing damage control.
Not to mention this statement appears backwards & is ironic; for one, you're the one doing damage control by presenting a positive review for no reason other than to counter others by stating, GT Sport is "clearly the best racer in this generation". You're effectively telling others, "Don't listen to all those negative reviews that may list specific grievances or displeasures. Listen to my vague review that says literally nothing but it's the best racing game."

You want your word taken over others with zero context as to why anyone should.

Damage control is also an attempt to limit the effects of an accident or error; in this case, it would typically be trying to soften the negative feedback the game is getting, by giving perfect scores to keep the game from falling even lower on the ratings scale. If the fake reviews are the ones doing damage control, that would imply the perfect 10 reviews are likely fake....
I never specify any attempts or reasoning of others for the "fishy" amazon ratings. (I suggest you refer to the review thread to discuss that)
You never specify anything. You were repeatedly asked by Scaff to elaborate on why you think the reviews are fishy, and you never did.

I'm not going to answer your question because you never answer anyone else.

Try the very first thing you wrote in your "review":

Not to mention this statement appears backwards & is ironic; for one, you're the one doing damage control by presenting a positive review for no reason other than to counter others by stating, GT Sport is "clearly the best racer in this generation". You're effectively telling others, "Don't listen to all those negative reviews that may list specific grievances or displeasures. Listen to my vague review that says literally nothing but it's the best racing game."

You want your word taken over others with zero context as to why anyone should.

Damage control is also an attempt to limit the effects of an accident or error; in this case, it would typically be trying to soften the negative feedback the game is getting, by giving perfect scores to keep the game from falling even lower on the ratings scale. If the fake reviews are the ones doing damage control, that would imply the perfect 10 reviews are likely fake....

If it takes my perfect 10 review score/vice-versa for you to realize that reviews are not credible, mission accomplished. have a good day sir

Last edited:
Its pretty funny watching how delusional some fans has became

before launch we talk about how GTS will be the least content in the GT series and it will be online only esport title, some argue and said " the game is not out yet, anything could happen, close beta and demo is just a tip of the iceberg"

after launch we see how those argue and said that people are disappointed because they didnt pay attention to news before launch and thoroughly know a product before buying

isnt these kind of fans that keep potential buyer hopes high , keep persuading and telling everybody something will be added on the retail version, then had a slap on their face after the retail version is exactly what we talk about before launch?

obviously kaz say

GTS online experience is only 15% of the whole game, some of my friend doesnt join in the discussion in the forum, they just read the news on GTP news section, isnt these statement gonna claim the sales of such buyer such as my friend? some are paying attention, but doesnt go indepth and join our discussion in the forum. Anyway, sales figure are gonna be good, number of pre-own version on the second hand market are gonna be good also, saw few of them play it for 2 days and put it up on sales already.

Then explain why the Japanese buyers feel misled.
Maybe in Japan they had Translator-san translate the poorly translated English marketing back into Japanese...or something like that:sly:. Ironic that translation is thrown around as a reason for some of the dissatisfaction expressed on Amazon and other reviews when many of the same sentiments are expressed in the Japanese reviews and the review score ends up being nearly identical.

If there is one thing in my mind why GTS got high on sales besides Japan being a birth place of GT, it had to be this I guess :

Since the demo, I already seen a lot of great livery creation in GTS. I also noticed most of them are Japanese people (then decided to follow these people... Damn, they were good). It still the same until today. Guess Japanese are pretty much gained more interest on livery editor and show their impressive skills at creating liveries. That doesn't mean people outside Japan isn't good either. It just when searching through Twitter about GTS it is mostly Japanese account that showed up.

As those other Japanese people who dissapointed, maybe it was the same case of GTS lacking content from previous titles. Perhaps online orientation took the role, but as far as I know Japan have pretty stable internet connection (South Korea is the strongest btw). Unless the server is often going down for maintenance or something like that then it could also be the case I guess.

However this is just my own thought and personal opinion regarding GTS sales number in Japan btw. Clearly, we don't know the exact reason, besides GT was born there and Japanese may get excited and enthusiastic for next GT to came up.

Last edited:
If it takes my perfect 10 review score/vice-versa for you to realize that reviews are not credible, mission accomplished.
Reviews are most certainly credible. You are not, because you only accept reviews that align with your opinions. When the reviews don't align with your view on the game, you dismiss them as "fishy".

As such, you had no problem accept Scaff's review but didn't like IGN because it didn't point out the soundtrack or scapes, 2 things that merely smaller, side features in a game about racing.
Scaff, I enjoyed watching your initial thoughts. I think you hit the head on the nail with your views on the penalty system, your impressions on those points were compelling. There was some points you mentioned about the physics/handling that seem more about personal gripes that I feel should be considered neutral (although it is your impression). I think the FFB feeling is suitable for this Type of game. Knowing that GTS is supposed to be a Video game for casual entertainment + a simulator at the same time, I don't expect FFb to have perfect implementations on tracks like Nordschleife. However, from a serious sim racer perspective I think you could make a good review on Gran Turismo Sport. The main reason I have been so critical of your thoughts previously because you was so quick to jump in to challenge my impressions in the other thread, I didn't think you realized I was being trolled by people from another forum.

Edit: Also your argument about the lack of cars (many same cars but in different classes) was much more substantial and compelling than what I watched from IGN.

I Feel most reviewers may overlook some things that stands out as a plus in Gran Turismo Sport and the final score will reflect on that. If you are a serious sim racer I don't expect you to be blown away by the landscapes and music in the game, but it is a part of the game.
IGN missed two of the biggest things that stands out in Gran Turismo Sport.

1) Soundtrack: a mesmerizing list of diverse songs that fits this game to a "T" I love it.
2) Scapes: ability to photograph your liveries on exotic cars placing them on many real landscapes across the world.

Your "review" on Metacritic might be the most hypocritical thing you've posted though, after telling others how to review or accept reviews whilst you leave a review that does none of this....
I agree about the reviews from game sites

but not reviews in a forum
All I have been seeing here about reviews is personal gripes.

More trustworthy reviews come from those who tell what stands out in a game for a positive review or tell people about real problems with the game for a negative.
This is why it is not good to misinform, overrate or underrate games. people have to spend money; and reviews should be done right without the bias.
if every one participated and aimed for all gold stars this would greatly reduce the missteps that occur on any online track. Please put this in consideration as anyone record their review.

If there is one thing in my mind why GTS got high on sales besides Japan being a birth place of GT, it had to be this I guess :

Since the demo, I already seen a lot of great livery creation in GTS. I also noticed most of them are Japanese people (then decided to follow these people... Damn, they were good). It still the same until today. Guess Japanese are pretty much gained more interest on livery editor and show their impressive skills at creating liveries. That doesn't mean people outside Japan isn't good either. It just when searching through Twitter about GTS it is mostly Japanese account that showed up.

As those other Japanese people who dissapointed, maybe it was the same case of GTS lacking content from previous titles. Perhaps online orientation took the role, but as far as I know Japan have pretty stable internet connection (South Korea is the strongest btw). Unless the server is often going down for maintenance or something like that then it could also be the case I guess.

However this is just my own thought and personal opinion regarding GTS sales number in Japan btw. Clearly, we don't know the exact reason, besides GT was born there and Japanese may get excited and enthusiastic for next GT to came up.

I have also seen the Japanese art on some of those liveries, talented work. No-one can deny this is proof those people enjoy this game.

Reviews are most certainly credible. You are not, because you only accept reviews that align with your opinions. When the reviews don't align with your view on the game, you dismiss them as "fishy".

"Reviews are most certainly credible" Your statement is a fallacy. You cannot prove this.
You are not credible either because my perfect 10 score does not align with your opinion...
McLaren Its ironic how you say reviews are most certainly credible, but you don't trust my review.

Do you trust the sales numbers for the week in Japan?

Last edited:
Your statement is a fallacy. You cannot prove this.
I actually can. It's called reading a bunch & drawing a general conclusion from multiple parties to tell how a game truly is. That's what makes a review credible; when other reviews share its same positive/negatives. It shows the reviewer has actually played the game. And when a reviewer presents enough overviews of this trait, his adds credibility to his review on his name alone, for example again, Scaff or Slipzstream.

Continue down this path of irony, you do.

The review in general is mixed, but average 7/10 rating is still good imo. The only thing GTS need is more content and slightly gave focus towards non-online players. I was also a bit mixed bag GTS is being mostly online (online save is iffy tbh), but that doesn't mean GTS is a complete failure imo. Just need an understanding on what fans want (which in PD case is often hit and miss). Also, fulfilling what PD already promises to their fans and consumers. There is room for improvement and PD should take this chance to prove if they are serious about this.

I actually can. It's called reading a bunch & drawing a general conclusion from multiple parties to tell how a game truly is. That's what makes a review credible; when other reviews share its same positive/negatives. It shows the reviewer has actually played the game. And when a reviewer presents enough overviews of this trait, his adds credibility to his review on his name alone, for example again, Scaff or Slipzstream.

Continue down this path of irony, you do.

If verified purchase reviews on amazon are not credible on amazon japan,us and uk~then i dont know why someone in here thinks he is more credible than all of the reviews?

If verified purchase reviews on amazon are not credible on amazon japan,us and uk~then i dont know why someone in here thinks he is more credible than all of the reviews?
It was pointed out that it didn't make any sense for people to spend that much money just to leave a 1 star review, but that little tidbit was ignored amongst other info. Your question has me wondering the same at this point.

Why do people even argue about this? You think the reviews are noteworthy, cool. You don't think so, cool. The thread is about GTS taking the #1 spot in sales, not reviews. I thought there was a thread on that? If the game is not for you then what is the point in debating with fans of it? What do opinions on reviews being credible (or not) have to do with Japanese sales? Seems like a lot of back and forth over this and I'm wondering what the correlation is.

Last edited:
Interesting site, although I don't entirely trust their sentiment analysis........

:confused:
When you see that think of a review site saying the following. "Give us money and we'll give your game a good review. We can discuss the specifics over lunch, you're paying of course." Then you know what suspiciously positive means.

I had a great laugh~ So now is the positive review more credible or the verified purchase of negative reviews more credible in this case? you all be the judge~

"Our engine detects that in general the reviewers have a suspiciously positive sentiment."

✓ Overwhelming amount of positive reviews
✓ Has done a total of 7 reviews for the same company
✓ Extremely positive reviews for a singular company
✓ Repeats reviews text
✓ Reviews content are of a poor quality
✓ Correlation with other fake reviewers' profile data and language.
✓ Language utilizes many superlatives or is suspiciously positive
✓ Repeats reviews text
✓ Correlation with other fake reviewers' profile data and language.

Attachments

• 111111111111.jpg
    111111111111.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 22222222222222222.jpg
    22222222222222222.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 10
I think our deluded friend must have written this gem. :lol:

gtsreview.png

1. GT4 is considered one of if not the best game of the franchise, Taking what made GT3 great and making it better.
2. Rally mode super real :lol: I've seen more real knockers in adult entertainment, Rallying has always been hopeless in every GT game.
3. Online mode flawless? What? The whole game is online when it works that is.

That made me giggle, I think PD are trying to pull strings somewhere to make the game look better than it actually is :lol:

Oh come on.

The message from Sony and PD has been massively contradictory on this.

Kaz himself said that GTS would have everything from past GTs and more, and that online was only 15% of the title.

The message has not been clear unless you are in the 5 to 10% who follow sim racing (and even we were not sure about a lot until launch).

We had members here at GTP saying that we couldn't judge what the final release would have in terms of content both during and after the beta and demo. Odd how so many have forgotten that so quickly.

None of this was well communicated to the average punter and the backlash as a result in certainly not surprising.

That's quite an overstatement though. Most information available before the release of the game pointed towards a game centered on the online experience. Yes, there is one 5 second clip from Malaysia where Kaz says that only 15% of the game is online (which is a very vague statement, how is that even measured?), but everything else pointed massively towards a game without a traditional career mode, with a smaller car and track list than what we're used to from past titles, and an e-sports focus.

Sure, people who don't follow sim racing might have missed the news (just like they also would have missed the 15% quote), but if you don't do at least a minimum amount of research before buying a game you can't really blame the studio or the publisher.

So, about those Japanese week 1 sales...

Did those high week one sales in japan resulted in a very high number of negative reviews from misinformed amazon customers?!? Did these consumers have access to social media to learn more about the game prior to purchasing?!?
Did Amazon represent the largest % of week 1 sales in Japan?!?

I think reviews are not held at high standards and only serve as a guide to help similar people get an insight about the game. I don't think reviews should be used to trickle moods, change the rate of potential sales and force game companies to change development decisions. Also, I don't think my 10/10 review score of Gran Turismo Sport on meteoritic caused this massive #1 week sales in Japan but it is obvious that some here do not appreciate this. They want to deem my review unreliable while holding value giving credit to these "fishy" Amazon reviews.

What I get from all this is that people are not happy that Gran Turismo Sport reached #1 sales in Japan for the week.

Last edited:
Sure, people who don't follow sim racing might have missed the news (just like they also would have missed the 15% quote), but if you don't do at least a minimum amount of research before buying a game you can't really blame the studio or the publisher.

Wrong. If a Studio has a long term ongoing series that has followed a fairly consistent model, it is up to that studio to be very clear in their advertising and communications about the change in direction.

PD were not, hence they have high initial sales with a lot of dissatisfaction.

Don't blame the community for the company's problem...

Did those high week one sales in japan resulted in a very high number of negative reviews from misinformed amazon customers?!? Did these consumers have access to social media to learn more about the game prior to purchasing?!?
Did Amazon represent the largest % of week 1 sales in Japan?!?

I think reviews are not held at high standards and only serve as a guide to help similar people get an insight about the game. I don't think reviews should be used to trickle moods, change the rate of potential sales and force game companies to change development decisions. Also, I don't think my 10/10 review score of Gran Turismo Sport on meteoritic caused this massive #1 week sales in Japan but it is obvious that some here do not appreciate this. They want to deem my review unreliable while holding value giving credit to these "fishy" Amazon reviews.

What I get from all this is that people are not happy that Gran Turismo Sport reached #1 sales in Japan for the week.
They are not high numbers. The first post states that it is 50,000 down on GT6.....

UK numbers are better than GT6.

More results are required.

Wrong. If a Studio has a long term ongoing series that has followed a fairly consistent model, it is up to that studio to be very clear in their advertising and communications about the change in direction.

PD were not, hence they have high initial sales with a lot of dissatisfaction.

Don't blame the community for the company's problem...

Wrong. It was made clear from the start. I'm sure you don't remember that though, since your only interest in Gran Turismo seems to be to complain about it.

Latest Posts

Back