Hall Of Fame: Nürburgring Nordschleife

• Thread starter kekke2000
  • 228 comments
I did the following lap last night:

MustangSVT (LV1 Mercedes-Benz S600L - No Assists) 9'18"360

This car is in Class B I believe since it has nearly 500 horsepower.

I've missed a few days of time trials... But now they are all added. Thank you homeforsummer and MustangSVT for making the times easy to add :)👍 Keep em coming!

Beat my old time -
Chapman2424 - Lvl10 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 Sport - No Assist - Class D - 8.52'704

BTW - What is the bench mark for an average lap around the 'Ring ? The Lap advice gave me a target time of 9:30 for a Class D - but I figured ANY lap time under 9 minutes is considered fairly solid.

Cheers,

S. Chapman

Hi Chapman. I think any lap under 9 minutes is a pretty fast lap (IMHO). I guess if you're driving a race like the Audi R8, something more like under 7 minutes would be "fast".

Here's an approximate scale. :)

-----------| "It's got some pep!"
-----------|--------------------
10 minutes-| Sportyish commuter
-----------| Classic sportscar
9 minutes--| Entry-level sport/'80s sportscar/sport compact
-----------| Mid-level sport/sports sedans
8 minutes--| High performance sport/faster sports sedans
-----------| Supercars/really fast sportscars
7 minutes--| Racecars/lightweight track cars
-----------| Official lap record (6:25.91)
6 minutes--|--------------------
-----------| BMW engineer estimate of BMW-Sauber F1.06 on an unrestricted run (5:15.8)
5 minutes--|--------------------

Here's an approximate scale. :)

-----------| "It's got some pep!"
10 minutes-| Sportyish commuter
-----------| Classic sportscar
9 minutes--| Entry-level sport/'80s sportscar/sport compact
-----------| Mid-level sport/sports sedans
8 minutes--| High performance sport/faster sports sedans
-----------| Supercars/really fast sportscars
7 minutes--| Racecars/lightweight track cars
-----------| Official lap record (6:25.91)
6 minutes--|--------------------
-----------| BMW engineer estimate of BMW-Sauber F1.06 on an unrestricted run (5:15.8)
5 minutes--|--------------------

That seems about right. 👍

Thanks - I was more generalizing the use of standard road cars (sedans/coupes/Wagons/etc.) nothing like a hyper-car or even race car. I was using the Top Gear S-Type Diesel time as an original benchmark (9.59) time but then found the times I was registering to be under 9 min (on average).

Thanks,

S. Chapman

No matter how realistic a game is, you'll always be faster with it than a professional driver can be in real life.

Once, to check on Nurburgring's recreation, I placed a second TV next to my "gaming" one, and picked a Le Mans car while at the same time I put Derek Bell's "in car 956" lap of the Nordshleife being displayed on the second TV.

I know Bell's lap wasn't an impressive one (Ickx passes him at some point) but I thought that, even in cruising mode, he would go faster than me. But in fact I was waaayy faster than him ... so, it may be the absence of "fear factor" in gaming, or whatever, but laptimes in gaming mean very litle when compared to real life laptimes.

While I sort of agree with you about the fear factor thing, I also think that if there was a game out there that recreated the Porsche 956 correctly in terms of power, weight and handling and had a very accurate physics engine (such as iRacing) and if that game had the '82 Nordschleife loop, I bet you there's no way anyone could beat Bellof's qualifying lap of 6:11, at least not in the same type of Porsche 956 that he was driving.

There's also the thing that in games like Gran Turismo 4 (Enthusia a bit less), you can sometimes run on the grass and cut some corners and get quicker times, which in real life would be impossible on the Nordschleife.

Been playing Enthusia a bit more lately - a couple to kick off with:

Class D

(LV10 Eunos Roadster S-Special Type II - No Assists) 8'55"069
(LV1 Eunos Roadster S-Special Type II - No Assists) 9'25"601

Because GT5 is finally coming in a few months, I have bought a driving force GT wheel, a PS3 and GT5 prologue to be a bit prepared when GT5 arrives. After a few days with GT5 Prologue (awesome) I was curious how it would work with GT4 and Enthusia. Two games I had only played with a normal controller. With the wheel it becomes clear what a great sim Enthusia is. (Not always but in most cases). I found driving around the Ring with the Mercedes CLK DTM-car utterly addictive. I had settings on recommended and it's just awesome. After a few tries I managed a 7.14 and I kept on trying till I've now managed to get around in 6.56.242. There's still room for improvement though. I had a few laps after this one when I was well faster but went of the road.

Because GT5 is finally coming in a few months, I have bought a driving force GT wheel, a PS3 and GT5 prologue to be a bit prepared when GT5 arrives. After a few days with GT5 Prologue (awesome) I was curious how it would work with GT4 and Enthusia. Two games I had only played with a normal controller. With the wheel it becomes clear what a great sim Enthusia is. (Not always but in most cases). I found driving around the Ring with the Mercedes CLK DTM-car utterly addictive. I had settings on recommended and it's just awesome. After a few tries I managed a 7.14 and I kept on trying till I've now managed to get around in 6.56.242. There's still room for improvement though. I had a few laps after this one when I was well faster but went of the road.

Enthusia is quiet awesome actually. It doesnt have all the effects or pickup and play abilities but for a driving sim it is the most realistic i've played. If you follow the instructions in the first post I will make you a part of the Hall of Fame! :)

Hi everyone!
I'm a rookie on this forum and english isn't my primary language, so I apologize for any mistakes. Not long ago bought Enthusia (for second time in my life - first I sold it when GT4 went out and didn't play it a lot). Now I've got G25 and made this time:
Class B: (LV1 Nissan R32 Skyline - No assists) 8'10"931 but with black flag (getting off course) in one place.
Here is link to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1mx2-aarSk&feature=share

Last edited:
No problem. I'm amazed by this game, it's outstanding! BTW I did improve my time. Now it's 8'02''975. No assist, no leveling and no black flag :) I'm looking for better camera, to make nice video of this run. When I get it I'll post a link. So far I noticed excellent enthusia driver on Youtube. He's time in Skyline R32 with no assists and leveling is 7'55''946. Here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=why4Pfsc_z0&list=LLWI2ET-M6ENYKvmH0lcfjnQ&feature=mh_lolz
it's my target time now and I'm polishing my skills, to get the same or even better :)

Last edited:
Back