Hands-On With Gran Turismo Sport's Livery Editor

I had a quick go and it is great and user friendly and I hope to do quite a few designs once the full game arrives*

*My only worry is if the Server drops or I lose connection will it save the work as at the moment Save file is not working and is auto save only. (I hope this is only demo related as I couldn't access replays or Liveries when the server dropped yesterday).
I did note there is now a message on the demo from PD stating about crashes, saves etc in game and they are working on it 👍

I'm not sure I see the logic in a collective group of GT fans begging for the feature to be added, to get it, only to find stuff within that editor is locked.

Based on in-game progress. Why can't we just drop the whole plop, and just let us all use our games already lol. User's buy the game, let them just play their way lol. I've created this crap all over before from scratch in Forza, but, I shouldn't have to create those symbols (or decals) myself, because I haven't unlocked a specific item. I don't see how this is going to help anyone create great designs. It'll just stand in their way to a tiny degree. what if some ppl really want to spend more time designing/painting than driving.

The editor doesn't appear to have the same degree of control when placing content next to each other when building designs. Fonts for example. According to a YouTube vid I saw. But this kind of thing could be altered possibly in future updates, if ppl fed the info back to Polyphony (assuming Polyphony wanted to listen to feedback) I guess. It's nice to see it make the game regardless, well done Kaz...

Forza has handled livery editing (at least for me) in the best way possible because of one simple feature:
  • Able to check grid coordinates of decals in size, position, and rotation
That alone makes a livery editor worth spending a lot of time with.

Forza has handled livery editing (at least for me) in the best way possible because of one simple feature:
  • Able to check grid coordinates of decals in size, position, and rotation
That alone makes a livery editor worth spending a lot of time with.

I did a quick look at the editor last night and I believe they do have a Grid that can be turned on. I will check again tonight but hopefully that is the case.

Is there any proof about layer groups, anywhere?

I can't see any hints of grouping in-game...

Coordinates missing is bad enough but if we can't group layers, **** Polyphony!

Putting a number system in place for scale, skew, rotation, etc. would be a big help as well. I was shocked not to see a GTPlanet decal in the media section. Come on PD! Where’s the love?

Agreed, we need the coordinates of the grid in there as well as degrees on rotation and so forth. Also the rear wing sides are currently bugged when you put logos on them they bleed through the top and bottom part of the wing itself. Also sometimes you get bugs when the current shape isn't being displayed on the car and just becomes invisible or just gets all weird with the car geometry.

So far the experience with the livery editor has been great, I can't wait to be able to upload custom files through the GT website, that to me is the best addition to the game bar none. I'm going to be spending the majority of my time doing that so, I can't wait. I hope they address some of those things and maybe add something like layer grouping as well to help when you have a ton of layers and also being able to move layer groups.

Very excited about this feature!

Is there any proof about layer groups, anywhere?

I can't see any hints of grouping in-game...

Coordinates missing is bad enough but if we can't group layers, **** Polyphony!

You've mentioned this a couple of times now, out of interest what do you have in mind that is so involved?

Where you said about spending 10 hours in game making a logo... surely the ability to do this in a full functioned vector utility and then import to the game is going to save you a lot of that time and hassle anyway?

Once the import feature goes live its going to be a joy scrolling through the high quality assets people far more talented than I create. Getting some inspiration and bringing interest to models I would otherwise only have a passing interest in will add so much more value to the game.

You've mentioned this a couple of times now, out of interest what do you have in mind that is so involved?
Well, personally I was going to do an EU Registration Plate template and a few personal logos first. But it applies to any decal consisting of multiple (even 100s) shapes.

Without grouping, I would always have to build the whole decal from scratch, if I wanted to move it or duplicate it somewhere else.

Where you said about spending 10 hours in game making a logo...
While 10 hours was a example (which is very possible), it applies to a 10 minute decal as well. Imagine spending 10 minutes on a decal then doing it twice again to move it slightly.

surely the ability to do this in a full functioned vector utility and then import to the game is going to save you a lot of that time and hassle anyway?

Possibly. But grouping should definitely be included in-game.

Well, personally I was going to do an EU Registration Plate template and a few personal logos first. But it applies to any decal consisting of multiple (even 100s) shapes.

Without grouping, I would always have to build the whole decal from scratch, if I wanted to move it or duplicate it somewhere else.

While 10 hours was a example (which is very possible), it applies to a 10 minute decal as well. Imagine spending 10 minutes on a decal then doing it twice again to move it slightly.

If you're going to make decals that complicated, you should just design them in Photoshop, Paint.NET or a similar program and then just import it into the game.

Zoom! I need a better zoom feature. That said, I spent my first night driving the mandatory 26.2 miles then having fun for 2 hours playing with the livery editor. I mean, it is a game...

If you're going to make decals that complicated, you should just design them in Photoshop, Paint.NET or a similar program and then just import it into the game.
While true with the lack of layers GTS has within it's editor, we still don't know what restrictions we have in place with it yet. Hopefully it allows for some pretty hefty file sizes either from one image, or multiple because if it doesn't, we'll start getting restricted fairly quickly

I found the effects to be cheesy. They should have added more balanced and realistic ones. The camera direction controls (joystick) are a bit clumsy. I managed to get some great shots in the end, but hope that they will continue to work on the interface of Livery.

My only gripe until now is the lack of a "mirror" option to copy all the layers from one side of the car to the other... but after checking the editor with more detail, I noticed that almost the while body of the car is one unique working area, differently from Forza where each side is a different sector. In GTS' editor, the whole body is a unique thing, so replicating one side to the other can be a massive task without, at least, some kind of coordinates, scale and rotation display.

My only gripe until now is the lack of a "mirror" option to copy all the layers from one side of the car to the other... but after checking the editor with more detail, I noticed that almost the while body of the car is one unique working area, differently from Forza where each side is a different sector. In GTS' editor, the whole body is a unique thing, so replicating one side to the other can be a massive task without, at least, some kind of coordinates, scale and rotation display.
There is a mirror option, although that’s not what they call it. I think they call it duplicate or some such. You usually still need to make minor adjustments to the placement but it works well enough.

One question. Can we race with custom liverys in any online race or is this use limited ???

If you create an online room, you have the option to prohibit custom liveries

If you create an online room, you have the option to prohibit custom liveries

My guess is that will become default setting for leagues. Maybe not, but I think anything that cuts into bandwidth could be problemamatical.

My guess is that will become default setting for leagues. Maybe not, but I think anything that cuts into bandwidth could be problemamatical.

Why? If it makes sense to have custom liveries is when you're part of a league imo. People will probably block liveries in lobbies because, let's face it, some people will have awful cars going around the track. lol

Why? If it makes sense to have custom liveries is when you're part of a league imo. People will probably block liveries in lobbies because, let's face it, some people will have awful cars going around the track. lol

I agree that leagues will probably want to "fly their colors".

Also, I can't see that custom liveries will impact bandwidth during racing. They'll be transferred during room-setup, and there's not that much data involved to describe even a complex livery. For each element, it's the element number, location, rotation, scale, color and not much else. Maybe 20 bytes per element.

Back