Has Project Cars lived up to the hype?

Discussion in 'Project CARS 1' started by FrzGT, May 13, 2015.

?

Is PCars suits the hype?

1. HELL YEAH! Better than [that game]!

2. Its excellent! Has its many potential.

3. Its great, but there are many to be improved.

4. Its okay, i guess.

5. Not what im expected.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. FoRiZon

FoRiZon

My exact question.

Now, there are many positive on this hype. The major GTP contribution to WMD and the communication as well as the fact that its crowdfunded major good thing. Also the engine, feel, AI, and overall gameplay does looks promising as a serious racing game. The car and track list is also contributed, altough i find its too euro centric for some reason, even without ferrari, Lamborghini, and such. But i can understand its on the relatively small budget.

However

It seems that people here are so angry about [you know the game] that people actually bicker outside PCars subforum, Facebook pages, etc just to boast this game. Worse when people just straight up going rude to its players. Ex: many times people ask a question for the problems on [that game], some people blinly saying you should get PCars instead without any answers (also plus PS4, XBox one, or gaming PC) While i clearly understand why, its unnecssesary at best, and the main reason some people here looking this game with a disdain to its community.

So heres the real question. Is these ridiculous amount of hype suits you now? Its up to you to decide.

Aaroh007 likes this.
  2. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

*Ahem*

Just wanted to get that out before the ridicule begins.

bleeder likes this.
  3. FoRiZon

FoRiZon

Fine now?

4. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Better :tup:

5. Spagetti69

Spagetti69 Premium

What hype? No where near Forzas or GT levels

frason, Mike_grpA, Scaff and 5 others like this.
  6. martinezlj

martinezlj

It depends, if you were expecting a 10/10 game for a first try, it will disappoint you. Most games in recent years, are being released unfinished, and get better(or worse) with patches released during the life span of the game. I believe this was the case with Project Cars, even if it got delayed so many times, I think it wasn't 100% finished. We need to hang on and wait for the devs to polish the game for a couple of months, and I guarantee we'll get the game most people wanted.

7. Luminis

Luminis

Well, I don't know how hyped everyone else is or was. As far as I am concerned, I'd say that Project CARS is actually exceeding my expectations - considerably. Might be because I've learned my lesson from other games, I'll give you that much. There's been a lot of disappointments as of late and I have, additionally, come to accept that I won't ever get my perfect racing game. Information on PCARS wasn't scarce, either, so I kinda knew what was coming. And I, for one, kept in mind that it's still a crowd funded indy game; I knew SMS wasn't going to have the resources to match a game like Forza or GT in terms of scope.

Bottom line is (for me, anyway): The driving feels great! It's challenging, the physics feel believable and are quite realistic, as far as I can tell. It's been a while since just driving a car in a video game was fun to me; and in PCARS, it is. The driving is satisfying enough to keep me hotlapping around one of my favorite tracks for hours on end. I'd grow bored of that in most other driving games I've played in the last few years. The only exceptions were Forza 3 and 4 - and that wasn't because of the driving, but because of the car selection and tuning/upgrading. PCARS is the first game in recent years where a single car and a single track can keep me busy for that long.

That said, I'm not one of the guys who'll venture into the GT section and tell people to make the switch. Sure, I'm happy it's getting a lot of positive reception and favorable reviews, but do I care what the guys in the GT section of GTP think of it? You bet I don't :lol:

And I agree with @Spagetti69, PCARS isn't seeing anywhere near the hype Forza or GT get. If anything, I'd say that GT is getting a good bit of (possibly) undue hype; which does not come as a surprise on a website dedicated to GT, but still.
    Not to say that everyone's like that, but some of GT's fans are so smug about their game, they've had it coming. I trust you know the kind of people I'm talking about ;)

8. aCuddlyteddy

aCuddlyteddy

Personally, yes it did live up to the hype. I wasn't expecting it to be anything else other than what it is lol.

A few bugs and ghosting issue on PS4, but I for one am really happy with what has been achieved. They are fixing the ghosting on PS4 by implementing a slider anyway, bugs will be fixed.

The only thing Project CARS doesn't have that I wanted, was timed races in multiplayer, instead of having to set amount of laps.

I am not sure but I believe that is a feature that's coming anyway.

Other than that, its everything I expected it to be, great physics, great weather, great tracks, great cars, great graphics, great AI, great career and great gameplay.

The only game in the last 3 years I actually want to play all the time lol.

Some things can improve but it delivered the game I was looking for.

Cheers!

svenvangent, Mr616, Luminis and 2 others like this.
  9. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Premium

Has Project Cars Lived up to the Hype? ....would be the proper way to phrase it...just sayin':tup:

Just1nn_, ElBasque, bleeder and 5 others like this.
  10. crowhop

crowhop

PC User here.

The game has been better than I even expected.

CHEN255 likes this.
  11. thegt500

thegt500

PS4 user here. I've had no issues with ghosting, sound or gameplay. Other than a minor issue of when I enter the pits in Clio cup career, the quick menu for strategy pops up saying I'm in a BMW Z4 ?
    Doesn't effect my enjoyment of what is IMHO an excellent game.

CHEN255 likes this.
  12. Kurei

Kurei

Haven't played yet, waiting out release bugs/issues and seeing how they get handled. But I've seen both extremes of hype for this game, either as the next-best-thing or worst-thing-for-simracing in general.

Given the development time, I am somewhat surprised by the amount of issues/bugs present, but it is what it is.

13. Spooky Wooky

Spooky Wooky (Banned)

No, it was way, way over hyped. It is an awesome game, but the hype train went off the rails with this one. Even after all the delays there are still annoying bugs that people driving the hype train some how forgot to mention.

JTB10000, Ian_83 and VXR like this.
  14. Bluntified

Bluntified

Just my opinion of course but I don't think holding off is worth it. Sure you'll probably get a few less bugs but as the game stands right now, I've put a little under 4 hours in (game time) and haven't seen anything game breaking or anything that made it less enjoyable. If you're someone who spots every little flaw then it'll probably best to wait, if you can see past them then I'd say grab it now!

OT: It's really hard for me to tell if it's lived up to it's hype or not. I'm a PS4 only user and I've been waiting quite a while for something like this to come out, so I'm not sure if it's 'authentic' satisfaction or just it's a placebo. If I were playing PC sims on the other hand, it'll be easier to answer this as I'd have something else to compare it to - seeing how it stacks up.

If I had to give a short and quick answer, it would be yes. I'm having a blast with it, complicated at times but overall very rewarding. The depth of this game is incredible, it caters to the hardcore sim racer as well as the novice all in one package. My only negative so far would be the force feedback options, there's just too many of them and I have no idea what any of them do. I'm afraid to touch some of the options as I fear it could over work my wheel, shortening it's life. I know I'm probably just paranoid but it's still something I'm a little concerned with (unless some PC guys can give me some closure on this :lol: (as I assume most of those options are included in other sims))

CHEN255 likes this.
  15. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Premium

See, what @Kurei said above is true. On GTP there was a lot of positive response to the game but IMO it was well measured and factual almost all the time, without any hyperbole added because it was unnecessary. The game can stand on it's own two feet simply on features and content it doesn't need to people to make up untrue statements to sell it. But outside of GTP, on sim racing forums in particular, but also on Youtube, Facebook etc. there was a huge amount of negativity surrounding the game. The usual, "this is Shift 3" and, and, "dis gaem is simkade, driveClub is way bettr", crowd mostly. In no way, shape or form, was there anything close to unanimity nor even a consensus on this game turning out to be great or even good so I don't see how one could conclude it was over hyped unless you only went to one or two forums.

Bugs have nothing to do with hype.

frason, DrJustice, Kurei and 2 others like this.
  16. Wolfe

Wolfe Premium

As a Wii U gamer waiting on the sidelines, I just wanted to point out that this is what has me hyped. There's nothing else that covers all the same bullet points -- not Gran Turismo, not Forza, not PC sims, nothing. That's what makes it so great, not that it's flawless or better in every category than the alternatives. Some of the very best games I've played are a bit obtuse and rough around the edges, like Enthusia Professional Racing.

I guess I'll find out later this year if PCARS lives up to the hype, but it wouldn't have to do everything right or be the most realistic simulator around to be the next big thing for me. Just as long as it's enjoyable to play and SMS fixes the worst bugs.

17. HBR-Roadhog

HBR-Roadhog

I have to go with Excellent. It could stand some more fine tuning, more cars and tracks and a few more options but the game runs flawlessly on my PC and the cars drive very well. I have very much enjoyed my time behind the wheel thus far.

18. Patrick

Patrick Premium

I bought the XB1 version and it seems like a waste of $60 so far. Hopefully the patch irons the game out.

Fat Tyre, UKMikey and VXR like this.
  19. LeMansAid

LeMansAid

I didn't actually think it was all that hyped to be honest. Didn't see much of a change over the years, including the final lead up. What I did see was people suddenly moaning about hype that wasn't even there. Circle jerk stabs and the like ensued.

More a case of inverse proportion and relative hype generated by those that had nothing better to pin their hopes and dreams on then.

Scaff likes this.
  20. Gejabo

Gejabo Premium

I absolutely love it.

Gerarghini likes this.
  21. terrible1fi

terrible1fi

Better than the hype. Physics model is accessible and deep and netcode is second only to iracing imo

fortbo likes this.
  22. Spooky Wooky

Spooky Wooky (Banned)

I only went on 1 forum... this one. I don't have a Facebook or Twitter and the only Youtubes I watched were the ones posted on here, mainly promotional material. On top of that, anything negative brought to GTP from other sources was very quickly shot down and discredited. I can't remember a single youtube saying "look at this bug where my car flies up in the air" or "this video shows the AI beating me in a thunderstorm on dry tyres" being posted on here by WMD members.

The game was delayed so it could be polished. Seems like SMS need a new cleaning product supplier, this game still needs finishing.

By the way, this is not a complaint about the game, I love it (as stated in my previous post), I just feel the hype which was built up by WMD members (possibly without even realising) on here, outweighed the released product. I don't really blame them, if I was invested in something I would be inclined not to point out to people the things that are broken, so this isn't a criticism of them either.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    GregOr1971, Ian_83 and VXR like this.
  23. VXR

VXR

For £65 I expected the game to be ready to play, but they simply haven't learnt from Shift - on Xbox One it is not at all calibrated for the control pad and as before, people are coming up with settings. Unfortunately, I have the bug they're rolling out the patch for, so it is near enough unplayable.

Plus, with an awful photomode, it even struggles to look pretty. Totally underwhelmed so far, despite liking the content included.

24. VBR

VBR Premium

PS4 (Digital Download Edition), Fanatec GT2 Wheel.

Game is unplayable, because of being released with Fanatec drivers that don't work properly. Months of hype, followed by a HUGE let down. I'm feeling pretty miserable at the moment. Hoping for a patch soon so I can try out these great physics that people keep telling me about. For the moment, however, P CARS/PS4/GT2 are just expensive bricks.

:banghead:

25. Luminis

Luminis

Guess I gotta consider myself lucky I'm playing on PC. Feels like most of the negative response is coming from XBONE and PS4 players.

Just an impression, obviously.

VBR likes this.
  26. Johnnypenso

Johnnypenso Premium

As far as I can tell most of the issues are on the consoles and we the public had no access to console builds, only a select few reviewers. One could assume a grand conspiracy or it may just be that the console builds were nowhere near as thoroughly vetted because they weren't available to regular members and some unanticipated bugs surfaced.

Either way, the proof is in the pudding as they say. If we are to believe the "we will support this game thoroughly for a long time" sales pitch, most of these bugs should be ironed out as quickly as possible. If in 3-6 months we're sitting with essentially the same game and all the same issues, I'd be pretty concerned at that point.

RacerPaul, blowfishrulez and VBR like this.
  27. HBR-Roadhog

HBR-Roadhog

Yes it does seem that way. I also went the PC route and the game runs just fine, wheel works really well.

I am not to surprised that there are issues popping up with the consoles that are not being saw with the PC versions the fact that they have had so many people playing and reporting issues with the PC version for a long time now makes it totally logical that the PC version would be the more stable and bug free version.

One of my friends opted to pre-order the XB1 version even though he has a Fanatec wheel and a PC that should play it just fine. I would imagine he is going to be disappointed when it fires it up on the XB1. There was no way I would have even considered a console version for myself.

28. manbartz

manbartz

PS4 + DS4 user here, and I'm in love. Near total immersion. Physics are spot on, graphics are good, User-Interface is fine, game customization is everything I ever wanted. AI is hit or miss. This game has years and years of replay value.

svenvangent, CHEN255 and FLX1981 like this.
  29. PzR Slim

PzR Slim Premium

Hype only builds if you let it ;)

30. BrandonW77

BrandonW77

Definitely a conspiracy, despite what Ockham says! They were just out to take our monies the whole time. :tinfoilhatsmiley: