Has the GT series effected how you drive?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oz.
  • 95 comments
  • 4,340 views

Oz.

Messages
21
I've been spending more time on GT3 since i got the driving force pro, its made the whole game seem more realistic (especially when seated like your in a car).

I also found when i got back into my little hot hatch that i no longer felt the urge to drive fast, speed up whenever some jackass was sitting on my rear bumper or trying to race me.

I just wondered if it had a similar effect on anybody else or whether they now felt they were as competant behind the wheel as Schumacher, Solberg, McRae etc...
 
nope, not a single bit, GT, nor any other game is quite like driving a real car
 
I find myself driving very hard into the side of other road users instead of breaking for tight corners.
 
Oz.
I've been spending more time on GT3 since i got the driving force pro, its made the whole game seem more realistic (especially when seated like your in a car).

I also found when i got back into my little hot hatch that i no longer felt the urge to drive fast, speed up whenever some jackass was sitting on my rear bumper or trying to race me.

I just wondered if it had a similar effect on anybody else or whether they now felt they were as competant behind the wheel as Schumacher, Solberg, McRae etc...
I scared the **** out of my mom once by saying, while overtaking on the freeway : "Ain't it kinda spooky that everything I know about driving, I learned from playing videogames"...

But yes.. I do think GT has affected my driving. Not that I tend to drive very fast anyway. Our crappy little Saxo isn't exactly a racecar (though it has the cool ass 14" alu rims 👍 )
 
TheCracker
I find myself driving very hard into the side of other road users instead of breaking for tight corners.
You must really really hate the Impact Penalty ;)
 
Flerbizky
You must really really hate the Impact Penalty ;)


Its much more costly in real life ;)
 
Theres already a thread on this. Use the search function.
 
Darin
Theres already a thread on this. Use the search function.
I did, I found it.. It's 2.5 years old.. Do we want that revived ?..

Threads that haven't been posted in in 2+ years should be closed automagically....
 
agreed - i also find it a bit offputting to new members (me being on in this instance) when they post a topic which isnt specifically a question they need answering, more of a conversation stimulator they just get told "use the frikkin search button".

i like this forum but some people make you think "whats the point in posting a new thread".
 
gt games had no impact on my driving style but the getaway in stockholm vids have :dopey:

no really, i´ve driven karts since i was 11 years old so i already had my "moments" when i got my license, there´s nothing to prove for me on the road.

i like this forum but some people make you think "whats the point in posting a new thread".
as long as those new threads aren´t plain stupid it´s ok for me. this one´s ok, just ignore certain replies ;)
 
Oz.
agreed - i also find it a bit offputting to new members (me being on in this instance) when they post a topic which isnt specifically a question they need answering, more of a conversation stimulator they just get told "use the frikkin search button".

i like this forum but some people make you think "whats the point in posting a new thread".

Yes.. With just the right amount of un-friendliness, we can scare just about everyone off 👍 That way we can keep small tidy group of ppl who'll argue over the same things over and over again and never get any new opinions !... (This is probably covered somewhere else, but I can't be bothered with the frikkin' search button)
 
I know what you're trying to say... I don't think that GT has truly changed my driving... I think totalling two cars whilst overtaking 4 others when I was 17 did that for me!!

But I think that it has given me a slight insight into how a car might react when racing it and also has shown me what happens when you mess around with suspension settings in a car.

C.
 
I can say with firm conviction that I believe GT2 gave me the driving skill to compete against and beat my own father, who has track driven and autocrossed for more than 25 years, in my first time out at an autocross.

GT4:P already has me getting prepared for my next Porsche track event in the Czech Republic.

It's realistic IMO if you know how to use the game as a tool to learn. In my case It has been a very effective tool.





Heh heh I said "tool" twice.
 
Having said that though the other day I went Karting and I hadn't done it for about 4 years... and I was second or third fastest there... (Can't quite remember as I was knackered at the end) The two who set faster laps go very often (At least once a fortnight) and I held the record for most amount of people overtaken... on the day!! Grrrr... get out of my way you slow drivers!!!

I propelled my team from last but one to second!! Some of which involved clawing back a good 7 laps on the first placers (Who had a superior strategy of only pitting once per driver) whereas we pitted 3 times per driver!! (They got slower and slower towards the end of their stints though... but I don't think I could've managed a full half hour behind the wheel going full hell for leather!!)

C.
 
Games have never affected my driving. But I have found I've gotten better at some driving games when I started driving for real. I guess my brain can call upon rela life events to help me judge speeds and braking distances.

Cheers

Jamie
 
I learn't to play GranTurismo better from doing the real thing.
 
Flerbizky
I did, I found it.. It's 2.5 years old.. Do we want that revived ?..

Threads that haven't been posted in in 2+ years should be closed automagically....

Then revive it, its better than whoring up a new one.
 
It happend once to me,i was playing GT3 the whole day and the next day i had some real driving lessons to get my drivers licence.
The thing is i was used to taking corners form the outside to the inside in GT3 and guess what i did that in a real car.There i was entering every corner wide and going inside and coming outside again.It is funny thinking about it now,how could i have been such a dumbass.
 
Darin
Then revive it, its better than whoring up a new one.
Who (apart from me obviously) is whoring anything ?.... Oz. asked a prefectly good question, and I actually don't think many people would like 2.5 year old threads revived.. One could've changed his set of opinions a good many times in 2.5 years, and may, or may not, have said something that is best left alone...

I stand by my original statement, Threads should be auto locked after 2 years of no posting....
 
Flerbizky
Who's (apart from me obviously) is whoring anything ?.... Oz. asked a prefectly good question, and I actually don't think many people would like 2.5 year old threads revived.. One could've changed his set of opinions a good many times in 2.5 years, and may, or may not, have said something that is best left alone...

I stand by my original statement, Threads should be auto locked after 2 years of no posting....

I concur with all of the above...

There is a line to be drawn between thread resurrection and new thread starting and about the 2 year mark is perhaps too high...

I suspect it would be better as something close to the 3 month mark!

C.
 
Flerbizky
Who's (apart from me obviously) is whoring anything ?.... Oz. asked a prefectly good question, and I actually don't think many people would like 2.5 year old threads revived.. One could've changed his set of opinions a good many times in 2.5 years, and may, or may not, have said something that is best left alone...

I stand by my original statement, Threads should be auto locked after 2 years of no posting....

Ignore him, he's a twit.

Well back on the topic i'd say no, seeing as i've had Gran Turismo since late 1998 and I got my licence in 2000.
 
Darin
Then revive it, its better than whoring up a new one.


A 2.5 year old thread??? You go revive it! :crazy:

I don't put too many posts on this forum, so i may seem like a newbie on my profile, but I've been around this place for quite some time, and recently every new post has some butt-munch criticizing how someone had failed to use the "search" function on a topic. I've used the "search" function and I've found it very difficult to find what I'm looking for, because every time I search for a particular topic, the threads in the results keep saying "hey dumbass, use the search function!". I bet theres constantly new members coming to this forum every day that dont spend their free time researching 2.5 year old threads, and it's much easier for them to just post a new topic. I'm sure that even if its a repeat, other new members will find it just as interesting. There’s also a reason why theres an archive function on every forum, so 2.5 yearold topics don’t clutter server space. Plus most people never bother to look at topics past the first page, so theres very few topics that have been revived past page 1 or 2... just look.

If this is such a big problem, im sure the admins will do their job and paste this convo in the right place, or you can go revive the topic yourself. …oh wait I forgot to apologize before writing this message that I didn’t do a search first. I’m sure im not the only one whos written this.
:crazy:
 
TheCracker
I find myself driving very hard into the side of other road users instead of breaking for tight corners.
LOL!!! Best post i've read in a while... 👍
 
TheCracker
I find myself driving very hard into the side of other road users instead of breaking for tight corners.

Nice.

Oz.
some people make you think "whats the point in posting a new thread".

Am I the only one who thinks that's a good thing? If people actually questioned themselves before they started the 3rd "GT4 pics" thread of the day, I'd be pretty pleased. If there's a point, post it. If not, don't.

2.5 year old thread revives are pushing the boundaries but discussions are discussions, I think we mind more when people revive "Official" car lists and other nonsense.

Anyway, I do believe racing games have given me a hand in knowing how to handle myself, a car and react to certain situations. I believe that reflexes and reaction time are a benefit of gaming as a whole. I also believe (as a survey last year found) that gamers are more adept at monitoring more than one thing at once - we're used to being aware of all the things happening on screen, be it health and ammo to our stock or magic spells to the current split time. We develop an innate ability to be aware of multiple things 'at once'.

GT hasn't had an impact on my mantra when driving however - I still work off the assumption everyone out there is a complete idiot (like the GT3 AI) and will do stupid things at the most unexpected times, so I give them plenty of space to be stupid without affecting me. I don't speed, I try to avoid taking risks, I don't actively race people, I just try to get where I'm going with as minimal fuss as possible.
 
Eagle
Nice.



Am I the only one who thinks that's a good thing? If people actually questioned themselves before they started the 3rd "GT4 pics" thread of the day, I'd be pretty pleased. If there's a point, post it. If not, don't.

2.5 year old thread revives are pushing the boundaries but discussions are discussions, I think we mind more when people revive "Official" car lists and other nonsense.

Anyway, I do believe racing games have given me a hand in knowing how to handle myself, a car and react to certain situations. I believe that reflexes and reaction time are a benefit of gaming as a whole. I also believe (as a survey last year found) that gamers are more adept at monitoring more than one thing at once - we're used to being aware of all the things happening on screen, be it health and ammo to our stock or magic spells to the current split time. We develop an innate ability to be aware of multiple things 'at once'.

GT hasn't had an impact on my mantra when driving however - I still work off the assumption everyone out there is a complete idiot (like the GT3 AI) and will do stupid things at the most unexpected times, so I give them plenty of space to be stupid without affecting me. I don't speed, I try to avoid taking risks, I don't actively race people, I just try to get where I'm going with as minimal fuss as possible.

Well said Eagle,
Just one question. How do you handle tail gaters?
I hate those idiots who sit 6 inches from my back bumper while I am doing the speed limit. I usually drop my speed by 10 kmh and they generally get the idea to back off. (Mostly)
 
I hope not. Though, I began playing GT before I ever drove on the street.

When I've got someone on my tail, I just slow down to an almost unbarable speed. It works best in one-lane streets. Of course, if they attempt to pass, you must speed up. Or just catch up to them and keep your high beams right in all of their mirrors.
 
I just try to ignore tailgaters. It happens a lot but I just focus on the road ahead and drive as though they're not there. As long as I'm doing the speed limit they've no legitimate reason to hassle me, and if they do pass, more power to them, I'll gladly lift by a few k to aid their overtaking.
 
Eagle, you must be the only P plater in Sydney who follows the road rules. Well done and drive safe. All P platers I see pass me like I am standing still.
 
Everyone I know drives at at least 140km/h in their ****ty 87 Corollas and I feel like such a douche, but I'm just way too paranoid, P platers are a target for cops as is, I don't want to give them an excuse. I keep praying for the day they lose their license and have to cope with ****ty public transport again.

GT is a bit of an outlet for my much repressed urge to drive fast in that respect.
 
Back