Has the GT series effected how you drive?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oz.
  • 95 comments
  • 4,340 views
I'd have to say the GT series did help with my driving a little bit. Before i started drivers ed a few years ago, i had never been in a car before, and knowing the physics of a car, just due to the GT series, i think it probably helped my driving just a little bit.
 
CRVdrftR05
I have no clue which way the experience went. On the one hand, driving a manual CRV helped me figure out when to switch gears in the game. And on the other hand, driving in the game and hanging out with GT drift fanatics helped me with control in real life.

On street corners, I barely use the brake pedal. Just double-clutch shift down to second. I do speed. But I"m not an a$$ about it. I don't tailgate, no cuts, no lane jumps, etc. Oh yeah, and braking in real life actually influenced my braking in the game....so I'm opposite to some of you guys I guess.

As for my name......that's only in parking lots and streets that I know for a fact aren't busy (especially with peds and police). I also understand the laws of physics, body roll IS scary.

Mate

I used to work @ HONDA UK ---- Trust me
Get SHOT of your CRV - they're PANTS man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Actually, somewhat. I usually take corners a little faster depending on how curved they are.
 
I have been a gran tuismo fan since the very begining, long before i was large enough for the front seat, I completely learned all the basics of driving. I am the best driver of all my teenage friend no contest and I completely thank Gran Turismo for my guidence! yay!
 
GT3 has changed me and learned how to drift, I've been at it for 4 years already and still drifting with the pro logitech wheel (not in 900 degree mode).

GT4P has kinda improved me with drifting too with the 900 degree logitech wheel also, but can't drift like on GT3 because I can't buy the 2-way LSD and other stuff.

I can drift a little bit in real life (with my friends car) but don't really do it that much; GT3/GT4P kinda prepared me for real life drifting also. I just have fun drifting on GT3 with all the cars and tracks and drifting on the Grand Canyon with the RX-7 & New York sometimes.
 
Yes, I learn how to change gears without a clutch pedal. :dopey:
 
Yes, it has changed me, i drive better, know more, know how a car will react on the limit rather than getting silly with my own.
 
I'd say the opposite after learning to drive, I found using my Driving Force wheel alot easier. Pity I can never be bothered to set it up though :D Also although I use manual in real life, in GT I still find it a pain.

As for the apex trolley thing, walking etc... yes I guess I do that too :lol: I've also found that steering a trolley with 'fists' at either end is easier than holding the bar. Ok I'll be quiet now :sly:
 
id say yes!
for one it lets u try out so many things with cars u drive in real life that u couldnt do on the public road.
for two i actually drifted and powerslided in real life before i did in GT because i got in contact with the series kinda in the late GT3 era...i have to say its stunning how realistic dynamic driving situations are passed on by the game...GT4P has completed that impression to the utmost.
for three living in germany i get into the fun of driving 100mph+ on a daily basis and its always fun but that brings me to the negative, probably the only negative aspect...even though drivin at high speeds in GT tells you alot about how a car will behave but what it doesnt do is pass on the feel of speed...going 220kmh or more even with the roof and all windows shut feels like riding a rocket and in GT its mostly like goin 80...none the less its the greatest real driving simulator and instructor:)
 
"According to independent research, Volvos last one-third longer than the average for all other cars on the road."
yes...except for ALPINAs:D
 
alpine_man
"According to independent research, Volvos last one-third longer than the average for all other cars on the road."
yes...except for ALPINAs:D

Hehe :)
 
Yes, Gran Turismo has taught me a huge amount about how a car handles, about the best ways to carry speed and momentum through corners, and about how to be smooth in order to get the most out of the car.

I couldn't believe how close the game was to the real thing when I started playing, but compared to real driving, GT is probably more forgiving of mistakes.

GT is a great learning tool for anyone who's serious about their driving/racing in the real world.
 
According to independent research, Volvo drivers have 40% of the worlds tartan on their seats

:D
 
code_kev
According to independent research, Volvo drivers have 40% of the worlds tartan on their seats

:D

Shhhhh!

According to independent research, code_kev praises the Xbox more than anyone else @ GTP ;)
 
I find myself driving less intense after playing GT. I don't know maybe i've had my fill or something. I don't drive fast in real nice weather like the summer though, scared to hell some kid is gonna jump in front of me chasing a ball or something.
 
The GT series definetly helped improve my daily driving skills on and off the racetrack in real life. I take every corner different than I used to. I accelerate and brake different now too. :)
 
I experienced something disconcerting this evening.

I was cruising home on the freeway in the dark, it was about 9:30, and I was passing under this bridge (overpass). I remembered I'd wanted to check the road name of it (which is displayed on a sign on the side on overpasses here) because earlier I'd been forced to a 10km/h crawl from that bridge to an exit 4k later following an accident. Anyway, I remembered too late and had already passed under the bridge. So, the idea of performing a handbrake turn and going back to check briefly popped into my head before I realised what the hell I was thinking.

The reason? A week of doing so in the WRS. We ran on Complex String in week 76 and from time to time I would cross things up rather badly and wind up knocking some cones around the circuit, and I always doubled back to make sure they were safely off the circuit so I wouldn't be distracted on a subsequent run. The idea of doing the same thing thus naturally occurred to me on the freeway at 90km/h - I'm glad I didn't react too fast.
 
i guess it has, how can it not. i love driving, especially when its for a long period of time. but i think watching the greatest drivers in the world, f1, has effected my driving more. i've been a fan since 1993 and its great.
 
@EAGLE

i bet u 20 bucks if u wouldve reacted to the thought ud have done a perfect 180degree turn (if the roads dry:))...i was on a parking lot with a friend couple of weeks ago he has a 325i E36 with a 5 speed manual...he let me drive it and he had kicked it pretty hard so i figured 'lets try something'...so i went to the other end started goin 1st 2nd 3rd...i was at 90 then i put the clutch in thrw in 2nd pulled on the e brake as the car spun around i gave it gas and let out 2nd gear leavin the spot with burnin tired right as the car had turned 180degrees...w/t GT i dont think id have been able to do it jst like that i was surprised! and i might add its one of the funnest things with ur pants on!!!
 
On a similar comment... without GT... I wouldn't have known that to perform a handbrake turn past 90 degrees you have to start steering the other way until you get to 270 degrees...

C.
 
Not really. I think it's because I don't have a drivers license :dunce:
 
The road was indeed dry but in my FF Mirage I'd also possibly have come close to rolling, I'll never know ;)
 
@eagle

the rear wheel drive world that i live in sometimes makes me forget that not all cars have one. lol
in addition the stubborn 50/50 bmw weight balance makes reacting to shifting forces easier and therefore better to control...basically a built in cheating tool
but yea 90, highway, FF...i feel ya:)
 
You won't roll your mirage, try it at 40km/h on a wet road, say a culdersac, with lots of room, you'll be suprised, cars are solid things, it's hard to roll a 1 tonne piece of metal.
 
RyosukeFCDS
You won't roll your mirage, try it at 40km/h on a wet road, say a culdersac, with lots of room, you'll be suprised, cars are solid things, it's hard to roll a 1 tonne piece of metal.

Sounds like you have done yourself abit of testing 👍 👍

Well GT4 hasnt affected my road driving, though i do respect a car more. But it has affected my driving in any other driving/racing game. I tend to have a very aggressive driving style, but i am very curtious, if you really can be with the computer cars, lol. But yeh i have a very aggressive driving style and i whip the car around as much as i can.

Also driving in GT has taught me how to control a car in a game when in trouble, so if spinning out i know exactly how to react to keep it off the wall.
 
ok the wooden panel in front of my head jst got lifted...he meant hes afraid his cars gonna roll...in that case...ive done some crazy things but never got close to the point of rolling...when its wet its almost impossible and wehen its dry its only a risk when sliding sideways (not drifting:)) for too long...
 
It effects the way I drive, but it depends on the car I'm driving. The GT series has taught me a lot about racing and apexes.
 
Back