Has the GT series effected how you drive?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oz.
  • 95 comments
  • 4,340 views
Eagle, doesnt everybody drive a holden in Australia?? i have some friends there
 
Klostrophobic
When I've got someone on my tail, I just slow down to an almost unbarable speed. It works best in one-lane streets. Of course, if they attempt to pass, you must speed up. Or just catch up to them and keep your high beams right in all of their mirrors.

A technique that I've developed during the day is to turn your side lights on... this will turn your rear lights on and will look like brake lights... people tend to drop back when that happens...

Another method of course is to drop a gear and let the clutch out... it has the effect of braking the car without displaying the brake lights... this can often "Scare the ****" out of people who are on your back bumper... and if it looks like they might be about to go into the back of you... you're usually in the power zone of your car so you can floor it and move away instantly... this has an even better effect cos it leaves them completely confused as to what just happened and they think that they may have just been asleep for the last second or so!!

The stupid thing is of course... that tailgaters don't know how to overtake properly... the best way to overtake is to hang back and get a run up... that way you overtake the slower car at a greater speed thus being on the wrong side of the road for less time. (This is also one of the only techniques if you are in a severly underpowered car!! (Like a 0.9L renault 5!!))

C.

C.
 
This may sound stupid but GT has actually influenced my driving a lot. Don't get it twisted though, I don't drive like an a$$ but certain things I didn't notice before while driving I picked up after GT. My braking style has changed, I feather a lot more now...only cause my brakes lock up really fast (4 piston brakes + no abs). The way I hold my steering wheel has changed as well. It makes turning a lot easier w/ my car. Also, I have spun out a couple times (snow, rain + real wheel drive) and have been able to recover easily...I actually don't even get nervous when I spin out. When I go go-cart racing and someone rear-ends me to spin me out, I react quickly and maintain the car's nose straight...these are just some things that I know GT has directly influnced me with. I guess its just me though :confused:
 
Yeti... i've done that one too... or i quickly flash my break lights... try to freak them out that they're gonna smack u... then i usually hammer the gas and pull away for a bit.

the ones that bug me the most are people in ****ty cars or minivans that drive fast and tailgate... i don't have the fastest car in the world, but my 2000 Prelude SH still has some go, but there's nothing like a Windstar "Sport" tailgating @ 20 over the limit... you're in a minivan CHILLOUT!! if you were in a Porsche cool... but a Windstar... WTF?!?!?! (enough of my minivan rant, next up soccer moms and their SUVs in parking lots ;) )
 
yeti
A technique that I've developed during the day is to turn your side lights on... this will turn your rear lights on and will look like brake lights... people tend to drop back when that happens...

Another method of course is to drop a gear and let the clutch out... it has the effect of braking the car without displaying the brake lights... this can often "Scare the ****" .....


If there's room why dont u just let them drive by? They're obviously in a rush somewhere.

I'm not a fan of tailgaters, but it seems like the reason it happens is because theres too many slow people that drive in the left lane and dont pass the cars in the right lane. If you're gona drive slow, drive in the right lane and dont block traffic! If ur gona do fancy stuff like turning lights on and off, tapping ur brake pedals for no reason, ur more likely to cause an accident because u dont know how the person behind u is going to react, that just moving aside and letting someone pass.
 
It seems we all are reading the splash screens when starting our gt games:

"Wear your seatbelt, use your turning signal and be a safe driver"

(marketeers already found out that advertising messages frequently will get the message in peoples heads without them expecting, we all play GT so much that this start screen is known inside-out) :)

Serious, glad to read that the members posting here are sensible drivers who race on their consoles instead on the road 👍
 
for me it was the same as i got my racing wheel!! though i had GTC, GT3 just made more fun because of the many trax!!
 
SkillRacer
If there's room why dont u just let them drive by? They're obviously in a rush somewhere.

I'm not a fan of tailgaters, but it seems like the reason it happens is because theres too many slow people that drive in the left lane and dont pass the cars in the right lane. If you're gona drive slow, drive in the right lane and dont block traffic! If ur gona do fancy stuff like turning lights on and off, tapping ur brake pedals for no reason, ur more likely to cause an accident because u dont know how the person behind u is going to react, that just moving aside and letting someone pass.

In the UK we tend not to have that many big roads... tailgating usually occurs on said "A" roads which are usually single track and trust me... I don't drive slowly so if someone is tailgating me they are being very stupid.

C.
 
yeti
In the UK we tend not to have that many big roads... tailgating usually occurs on said "A" roads which are usually single track and trust me... I don't drive slowly so if someone is tailgating me they are being very stupid.

C.

in that case, I agree, they are really stupid.
 
GT has in no way affected my driving. I don't think GT is enough to compare to driving a real car, but like Klos I was playing GT1 and GT2 before I was driving on the streets.
 
SkillRacer
If there's room why dont u just let them drive by? They're obviously in a rush somewhere.

I'm not a fan of tailgaters, but it seems like the reason it happens is because theres too many slow people that drive in the left lane and dont pass the cars in the right lane. If you're gona drive slow, drive in the right lane and dont block traffic! If ur gona do fancy stuff like turning lights on and off, tapping ur brake pedals for no reason, ur more likely to cause an accident because u dont know how the person behind u is going to react, that just moving aside and letting someone pass.
Well, I was merely referring to 30 MPH zones where there is only one lane on each side of the road. I try to stay at about 30 on these roads, but if some asshole is tailgating me, I try to get down to 20ish.

I wouldn't think about slowing down traffic on the highway. That's just stupid.
 
Too bad I can't fend off tailgaters, since I still have my lowly permit (in other words, mom in the passenger seat = don't do things like that). I'm particularly annoyed by people who tailgate in their Expeditions... dummies don't realize that an Expedition needs a lot more braking space than most other cars, and that if they slam into me, they'll rip off the top half of our Outback.

I guess the only way GT has formed my driving in any way is that I use my rear view mirror much, much more than I do my side mirrors, since I use bumper-cam in GT3, thus I only get a rear view mirror there, and I'm used to tracking others that way. I also swing wide and go in for the apex, of course. :D
 
I'm a learner too Sage (test on friday, 2nd time lucky hehe), and I allways get these people who feel the need to get 20 cms away from the back of my car, even when it has a massive learning sign on top! sigh. Actually I think GT games have helped my appreciate braking distances quite abit more.
 
code_kev
Actually I think GT games have helped my appreciate braking distances quite abit more.
Ah, that's a very, very good point, and I totally agree with you on that. Most kids jump in a car the first time thinking that you can completely stop a car going 60 mph in 5 feet with no drama... GT definitely reinforces the "brake early" thinking, especially when you realize that even when you're braking at what seems an appreciable distance, you're still slamming into walls.
 
phantasm
enough of my minivan rant, next up soccer moms and their SUVs in parking lots ;)

http://dev.clanned.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18 - We had a pretty good rant about a lot of things, SUVs and soccer mums included.

I'd like to think I always had a fairly respectable understanding of the capabilities of cars, I never had problems judging braking distances and the like. I get in cars with some of my friends and have them heave on the brakes when they're barely metres from stopped traffic and still doing 60 and just think "Yeah... no more car pooling.". It's seriously scary how some people drive, not to mention cruel to their cars.

I too am glad to see most of us are sensible on the roads 👍 Go team.
 
Actually for me it was the other way around... my real life driving improved my GT driving. EG. I've driven manual cars from the start and my real life experience of how to drive stick quickly translated in being able to drive MT in GT with ease... understanding how downshifting can assist in braking and slowing the car down, how to gear up to prevent wheel spin, and things like overcoming under/oversteer, etc. Mind you i've never driven a proper race car, but when your first car is a 260hp RX7 you have to learn this stuff pretty quick :sly:
 
Oz.
I've been spending more time on GT3 since i got the driving force pro, its made the whole game seem more realistic (especially when seated like your in a car).

I also found when i got back into my little hot hatch that i no longer felt the urge to drive fast, speed up whenever some jackass was sitting on my rear bumper or trying to race me.

I just wondered if it had a similar effect on anybody else or whether they now felt they were as competant behind the wheel as Schumacher, Solberg, McRae etc...

While it didn't cause me to drive more slowly, I did find it helped me when I took up autocross racing my daily driver. I think it helps you pick up racing lines and braking zones etc more quickly.
 
It did changed my driving a lot, as did Best Motoring. I don't drive like an ass though. I hardly ever take riscs on the road, but I have a lotta trouble with keeping my head cool. I know however that driving fast on the streets doesn't come close to GT, as GT is VR and not real. I've never driven a racing car, but after watching so much Best Motoring and playing GT for so long, take the real life experience into account and it will definitely help me pick up the racing in real life faster.

One thing however, I often heard/see that race drivers always warn for you not to release the accel pedal when cornering, as this will cause the rear end of the car to spin out. If you look at Best Motoring videos you'll notice they'll almost never release the gas when cornering. In GT with for example the McLaren or the M5 this is very well noticable. But with the cars with under 300bhp I don't really notice this? Sometimes a little but not as much as it would be in real life I guess. Hard to judge for me though since i've never been in a car on the circuit. How would you people with some race experience comment on this? Is it done properly in GT? Or too much aid from the computer??
 
GT has definately influenced my driving style (i.e. identifying apexes, braking point etc), but also made me a safer driver. Getting my fast driving in on the ps2 quells the need to drive fast on regular roads (other than that time when my dads friend let me drive his M5, but thats a different story).
The scary part however, was the time when I spent several hours playing GT3, and then I got up and walked through my kitchen. I realized I was clipping apexes (tables) much like I was driving. The same thing happens at COSTCO (giant warehouse store chain in the US) when I push my basket up and down the isles, I treat the corners like corners in SSR5 an SSR11. It scares me. :scared:
 
Driving fast in GT does not in any way take away my need for speed, going fast in a car gives you a rush much higher than a game that doesn't put you through any physical forces. However I never satisfy that need on public roads and I never would.
 
I can't drive yet. 3 mo months....by then the Sox will be in last place and I will need GT4 more than code_kev wants his *cough* halo 2.
 
I have no clue which way the experience went. On the one hand, driving a manual CRV helped me figure out when to switch gears in the game. And on the other hand, driving in the game and hanging out with GT drift fanatics helped me with control in real life.

On street corners, I barely use the brake pedal. Just double-clutch shift down to second. I do speed. But I"m not an a$$ about it. I don't tailgate, no cuts, no lane jumps, etc. Oh yeah, and braking in real life actually influenced my braking in the game....so I'm opposite to some of you guys I guess.

As for my name......that's only in parking lots and streets that I know for a fact aren't busy (especially with peds and police). I also understand the laws of physics, body roll IS scary.
 
Flaanders
The scary part however, was the time when I spent several hours playing GT3, and then I got up and walked through my kitchen. I realized I was clipping apexes (tables) much like I was driving. The same thing happens at COSTCO (giant warehouse store chain in the US) when I push my basket up and down the isles, I treat the corners like corners in SSR5 an SSR11. It scares me. :scared:

Wow... So I'm not alone in doing that...

I'm also glad to hear that chameleon doesn't take reduced instruction set computing on the road.
 
I think almost every car nut has done that at some point in there life including myself.
 
Eagle
Wow... So I'm not alone in doing that...

I'm also glad to hear that chameleon doesn't take reduced instruction set computing on the road.

It's sad i know, but coming from a racing family, growing up around race tracks and been imerced in 'racing practices' ever since i was a baby - I've been 'clipping apexs' for as long as i can remember - in cars, on bicycles, in supermarkets, on foot..... I think we should start a support group for 'Apex-clippers Anomynous.
 
TheCracker
Apex-clippers Anomynous

I feel better just for knowing I'm not the only freak, but a real club, sure, sounds good. We should go start our own thread in the Rumble Strip or something, maybe Jordan will host us?
 
Thing is, it saves you seconds in the supermarket if you take the best line between the stacked cans and the frozen veg sections.
 
Shopping trolleys are so much fun... I always tend to "get the back out" on my trolley as it's like driving a 911 with the engine (Me) way behind the back wheels!!

Body roll isn't a good thing in a trolley though...

I hate the Ikea ones with fixed rear tyres though... you really have to drive them like a car... and that awful lino floor has more traction than slicks on a circuit... there is no chance you can drift those babies!!

C.
 
yeti
I hate the Ikea ones with fixed rear tyres though... you really have to drive them like a car... and that awful lino floor has more traction than slicks on a circuit... there is no chance you can drift those babies!!

omg I know! It's the same at this Officeworks place I go to, it's terrible! It feels like driving a truck compared to a normal trolley.
 
Back