Hating the graphics of GT6

• Thread starter TomBrady
  • 408 comments
Uh, come on now... Better than Forza 5???? It's not even close, granted, it looks good for being on a decade piece of hardware but it doesn't touch the graphics on Forza 5, and it shouldn't. I think they've sacrificed some of the crispness and used that for the dynamic lighting that we are seeing now.

That's not what I was saying, I'm saying it appears more brushed, like it's balanced throughout the view given and has a nice tone to it.

As I said msaa is dying and rarely used in games these days including PS4 games. Pretty much every dev is using post process aa. Simply because GT5 used 4x msaa in 720p mode does not mean it had better graphics. GT6 is superior and future proof tech that will be carried to PS4

So your argument is that because they're using different AA it's better? Apart from the other sacrifices that have been made, that one thing makes it technically superior?

Whatever. Come back when you're ready to have a rational discussion.

I find it slightly odd that we haven't seen a Digital Foundry analysis to put some concrete numbers to this problem. They were pretty quick on their analyses of FM5 and GT5 if I recall.

Reckon they've been asked not to ;)

Probably, they don't want DF to expose them, although, the results on the demo are nearly identical to what GT6 has.

So your argument is that because they're using different AA it's better? Apart from the other sacrifices that have been made, that one thing makes it technically superior?

Whatever. Come back when you're ready to have a rational discussion.

Not sure if trolling or just stupid :rolleyes:

msaa is dying or pretty much dead and will not be used in PS4 as well. The advanced lighting used in modern games creates artifacts using msaa and is not preferred by devs anymore. As simple as that. 99% of games will use post process aa.

Reckon they've been asked not to ;)

I did think of that. I strongly suspect that asking a game reviewer NOT to review a game is like waving a red rag at a bull. Unless you offer them an enormous amount of money to keep quiet, they'd far rather run the story AND the fact that they were asked not to. The publicity would be staggering.

Not sure if trolling or just stupid :rolleyes:

msaa is dying or pretty much dead and will not be used in PS4 as well. The advanced lighting used in modern games creates artifacts using msaa and is not preferred by devs anymore. As simple as that. 99% of games will use post process aa.

AA is only one part of a graphical system. You're saying that they have different AA. Great. That's not the whole story. Having post process AA does not make a graphical system technically advanced just because, and especially not if it comes at the sacrifice of other aspects of quality.

So tell me again why GT6 is technically superior to GT5, because as far as visual superiority goes it's swings and roundabouts. Some people prefer one, some prefer the other.

The lighting model is much superior. Some people may prefer GT5 type graphics but they could not take it to PS4. GT6 graphics they can simply upgrade it.

This comparison just proves it:

The lighting model is much superior. Some people may prefer GT5 type graphics but they could not take it to PS4. GT6 graphics they can simply upgrade it.

This comparison just proves it:

You're saying that GT6 is better than GT5 because FM5? What?

GT6 lighting looks nice, but then it cripples itself with dodgy, blocky, flickering shadows. Yet another example of gains in one area by sacrificing another.

I think the thread title is a little misleading - it's not blurry: the edges are simply smoothed out more in GT6; this isn't the same thing as 'blurry'.

I sit 9' from a 70" screen with 0% overscan (i.e. 1:1 pixel display) and the image looks pretty good to me.

I sit less than six feet from a 47" LG 1080p TV less than two years old and it looks blurry to me. Replays, anyhow. Plus, the camera angles are too freaking low much of the time! Good grief, who likes grass cam view so darn much at PD...

I sit less than six feet from a 47" LG 1080p TV less than two years old and it looks blurry to me. Replays, anyhow. Plus, the camera angles are too freaking low much of the time! Good grief, who likes grass cam view so darn much at PD...

Indeed. When you get the odd high or overhead shot it makes you realise how much better those shots are. I think the game looks at it's best with the cars a medium distance away and with a good amount of the beautiful scenery visible, rather than half a screen's worth of grass.

It's a good thing there could never be anything wrong with this game or something that anyone could dislike about it. 10/10!
I love GT3, 4 and 5, but the only thing I like from GT6 is the extra cars and tracks. It's WAY more glitchy than 5 ever was. Cart races suck, Goodwood 5-3 sucks and making gold times so far out of reach of normal players with a ****ing controller REALLY SUCKS!!! I'm done with this series, I've had them all since 1998 and they've been progressively better till now. There motivation now is weeding out those who are superior for their academy! Kazunori needs to put the "fun" back in this series because it's gone.

I honestly see what you are seeing in the video comparison. However, I honestly think color has a big play in it too. I have always had problems with darker areas of tracks. When looking at the gridmarks in the beginning amd end, see a huge difference. Especiallu when you cross under the track. I also notice the blur in these spots.
By the way, you made it sound a bit exaggerated, like in a low resolution. Thats is why people were asking a lot of 1080p/i questions.

I'm not a moron okay. It's not my TV.

Like I said, I pop in GT5 and it looks ten times sharper and better looking.

When's the last time you played GT5 because I guarantee if you pop it in now, you'll see what I'm talking about when you compare it to GT6.

Imo, having just tried it, you're wrong.

Allowing my TV to interfere with the PS3's HDMI output... that makes it blurry. Have you definitely checked your panel settings? Or maybe you got the only blurry copy? :D

Isn't AA used to reduce the poly count so the comuting power can be used at other tasks.

I'm no expert, but thats what understood.

No, the poly count is normally produced by using lower Level-of-Detail (LoD) models when appropriate.

AA is an after-image process that softens pixelated (or kerned) edges. The full name is anti-aliasing. There are various routines that can do this and the more times you can run the routine the better. The problem is that it's pretty processor-intensive.

To offset this you can get your TV to do the antialiasing thereby sharing the processing. This depends on your TV. My Hitachi does crap AA, my Bravia is brilliant.

all i can say is gt6 look a lot better then gt5, i feel it bring ps3 to almost the same level as ps4, maybe the only i have different in my ps3 is i have a sshd and since the ps3 streams off the hdd most of time it may help the frame rate that is only thing i see, also you had no sense of speed in gt5 it was just a car moving you could of going 120kph and 300kph it felt the same but in gt6 u feel it more.

ps: i still thing there is still a lot of life in current gen consoles read this link and u will see http://mobile.extremetech.com/compu...but-developers-say-otherwise-who-8217-s-right

Thank you. It's sad that people act that way.

Just because some people haven't immediately noticed the lack of sharpness compared to GT5, doesn't mean I'm some moron that doesn't know how to troubleshoot or adjust a TV. I'm an AV technician, of course I know how to adjust a TV and PS3 to get the optimum image quality.

I used to scoff at people who claimed that some Gran Turismo fanboys will blindly defend the game, but now I see exactly what they are talking about. It's true. Some fanboys won't even entertain any negative opinions about the game. And I'm a GT fanboy too but I'm not delusional.

I'm definitely more sensitive to blurry graphics than most people, so I understand why people didn't notice it right away, but denying it even after I bring it up? That's just stubborn fanboyism.

Thanks for backing me up.
The unfortunate answer and one you may not like is that it is obviously your eye's as almost everyone else does not agree that the GFX in GT6 look blurry, personally I think GT6 looks fantastic, much better than GT5 in every way.

I have played Forza 5 at my friends house, handling is ok but not a patch on GT6, graphics? well Forza should look half decent, its next gen. The main difference when comparing to GT6 is the backrounds, they do look nice and detailed however the lighting engine in GT6 is just so much better. The cars in Forza 5 look no better than those in GT6, really, I sat and scrutinized the replay on F5, the replay is the same ole same ole, same camera angles every lap, why is it no one does replays as good as Polyphony ? Then considering the sheer amount of content and options in GT6 I think its kind of embarrassing that GT6 on PS3 is competing with Forza 5 on Xbox One. I think if Polyphony can squeeze out of PS4 what they have out of PS3 I think they will leave Turn10 in the pit lane.

I agree with the OP in terms of GT5 looking better. We might be in the minority but there's no way GT6 looks as good to me, it looks grainy, and it's particularly bad in the menus, some of which I think is so that standard cars don't look positively awful next to the premiums in the dealership. This is where the faster loading times come from, the downgrading of the graphics. Can't believe others don't notice this to be honest.

I have nothing good to say about the graphics.

Blurry
Jerky
Screen tear
Slow down
Lots of jaggies
More pop up than Mary Poppins pop up book given to her by her good old Pops.
And always loading something. Why always loading something even on a time trial in the middle of the track. I have install turned on. I've never heard such a racket.

I'm racing at the ring with some of the fastest guys and it's not who is the fastest driver anymore, it's who is fastest to adapt to this nonsense.

Last edited:
The unfortunate answer and one you may not like is that it is obviously your eye's as almost everyone else does not agree that the GFX in GT6 look blurry, personally I think GT6 looks fantastic, much better than GT5 in every way.
Doesnt suprise me at all most dont see it. Find any pro audio or video editor, they will tell you how amazing it is that so many people cannot see or hear a difference with glaring issues. So issues like the blur will rarely be noticed

The bad thing is everyone THINKS they see everything. So people defend things that are obvious flaws to others

GT6 does have it's moments of added blur. Mostly noticeablelooking in the distance. It also has jaggies here and there that gt5 didn't have. Also some cockpits are to dark out of the winsheild. A attempt with visor effect I guess. But it should have a visor shadow INSIDE, not a effect on the outside contrast & brightness level. There is also lighting isues with some time change tracks. Take 2013 la sarthe. If your TV is set right (average contrast on a lcd/led TV), the noon to 5pm or so times will make all the sand white from to much contrast. Looks terrible

GT6 does some good things, but the same car & track, with same track settings, I take GT5 right now. Even though GT6 has fixed some environment textures to look better. FPS in GT6 is horrible IMO. I have 3 ps3's and 3 1080p screens. Seams better on some then others, but all suffer with it

Last edited:
GT6 looks fine to me compared to GT5 on my 1080p screen; roughly the same.

My theory is that since GT6 uses the same anti-aliasing method (MLAA) on both 720p and 1080p modes, the 720p version is going to look less sharp in GT6 compared to GT5. In GT5, a high-quality 4xAA was used in 720p mode while a lower-quality QAA was used in 1080p mode. From my experience, MLAA is about the same as QAA quality-wise.

Yet another example of gains in one area by sacrificing another.

I keep on thinking "equivalent exchange" from Full Metal Alchemist....

The flickering must be why motion blur was added in the first place, "If we speed up the camera and blur the edges, they won't be able to see the jaggedness and flickers". Good idea PD, said no one ever...

Sometimes I have to shake my head at some of the posts in here. People want blood from stone. Some of you guys do realise this game runs on 7 year old hardware right? Fact that they're extracting what they are is a feat in itself, more impressive is the fact that people are even able to compare the visuals of GT6 to Forza 5, Assetto Corsa and Project Cars, and still find GT6 comes up on top in certain areas. I mean, that is a ridiculous achievement in itself.

Personally, I play in 1080p (not that bothered by the minor frame rate drops considering they're still comfortably hovering above the 30fps mark), with Flicker Reduction mode enabled, and I think the visuals, whilst inconsistent, often look stupendously good. As in, I can't believe this is running on such ancient hardware good. As in, I've played Forza 5 and Project Cars and this game still looks great in comparison good. I mean, even the fact that it runs in 1080p at all is ridiculous, given most games on the console run at 720p, and many below even that!

No doubt Polyphony have cut corners, the biggest being the pretty poor IQ, namely the horrible aliasing, and certain textures, dithered tree's, oft less than stellar shadow edging etc. But in terms of overall lighting engine, shaders, weather effects, dynamic lighting, certain textures, geometry, detailing and so on, the game is a tremendous achievement.

Play the game with all HUD options, driving line etc off, in cockpit view with the view option set to "Narrow", and honestly, at certain lighting conditions on certain tracks, whilst squinting, the game almost looks life like. I actually believe the lighting system in many ways is ahead of games that run on hardware that's a generation above the PS3's, and that's pretty incredible. DriveClub will fill the void, but when GT7 eventually releases on the PS4, you can be sure it's going to wipe out the competition in terms of graphical fidelity and realism.

Further to what @nib95 said; this is just the beginning of GT6 as well, think about all the refinements that will be made to the game over the next year. If they can optimize other areas of the code, then maybe the graphics will start to look better. I remember GT5 did get better looking after certain updates, especially the shadows on The Nurburgring.

Doesnt suprise me at all most dont see it. Find any pro audio or video editor, they will tell you how amazing it is that so many people cannot see or hear a difference with glaring issues. So issues like the blur will rarely be noticed

The bad thing is everyone THINKS they see everything. So people defend things that are obvious flaws to others

GT6 does have it's moments of added blur. Mostly noticeablelooking in the distance. It also has jaggies here and there that gt5 didn't have. Also some cockpits are to dark out of the winsheild. A attempt with visor effect I guess. But it should have a visor shadow INSIDE, not a effect on the outside contrast & brightness level. There is also lighting isues with some time change tracks. Take 2013 la sarthe. If your TV is set right (average contrast on a lcd/led TV), the noon to 5pm or so times will make all the sand white from to much contrast. Looks terrible

GT6 does some good things, but the same car & track, with same track settings, I take GT5 right now. Even though GT6 has fixed some environment textures to look better. FPS in GT6 is horrible IMO. I have 3 ps3's and 3 1080p screens. Seams better on some then others, but all suffer with it

A lot of people are like that. Some people either don't have an eye for detail, or they're just in denial. I think a lot of people on here are in denial.

The fact is, GT6 looks just like the GT Academy demo from a few months ago. Digital Foundry pointed out the added bluriness then, and I'm sure they'll point it out again if they finally do an analysis of the final game.

If people on here are still denying it, I think it's pretty obvious what is going on. Blind fanboyism.

I must admit there is something different about GT6 compared to 5, I noticed it immediately as soon as I loaded the game, I thought it was just the new lighting or rendering engine but now it does seem that there has been a very slight drop in fidelity. I mentioned in another post about zooming right into the bonnet of the Ferrari P3 and how the number 21 was blurred and jagged, can't remember seeing that on GT5, that was from a replay though, I don't have that car yet so I don't know if its any different in photo travel. It seems that Polyphony have juggled everything around and optimized stuff to get the best overall look and performance and I think GT6 is a more consistent experience all round.
A few things I would like changed? the garage view, I would like to see my chosen car spinning around slowly like in 5 and have the option to change the view of the car list.

Back