Hating the graphics of GT6

• Thread starter TomBrady
  • 408 comments
just asking to help what are you connected to your hd tv with the normal cord that came with PS3 or by a hdmi cable. if not a hdmi that is a must for a hd tv. but my guess you already know that so I just thought I would throw that out there just in case you are using the basic cable that came with the game to connect to tv.

cause on my tv GT6 is by far better picture then GT5

Adrian's latest vid really illustrates the difference, GT5 seems much clearer.
Ps that sound :ill:

Yeah, this is definitely a major bummer for those of us who dislike soft AA methods. Just look at the Ferrari symbol on the steering wheel hub for a clear example of how this changes everything. (If you want to understand FXAA and blurriness you can just google it so you'll understand why this is happening). I guess for those that either don't notice, or don't care, or even like a soft display then it's no big deal. But considering how many people hate FXAA it would have been nice if PD had broken with console-tradition and given us the option of disabling it. Compared to GT5 (or ANY game I play, since I never use any kind of blurry AA method) GT6 looks continually out-of-focus and lacking in detail and clarity. *Sigh*. I'll try to get used to it, but what a disappointment...

Have to admit it, side by side GT6 is a lot softer. As said, def the new AA method. It's not ruining it for me though but I see the OP's point.

I noticed that the trees and vegetation have some weird holes with that squarish look. I was racing in charmonix track, and I don't remember GT5 having this issue. I feel that GT5 looks better for that stage. On GT6, this issue sticks out like a sore thumb.

The graphics are good -enough-. It rather reminds me of Forza 2. I'm just grateful for the improvement in standard car quality (though panel gap definition still leaves much to be desired. Still having to crawl through an open window to get into a Subaru Legacy GTB).

On the subject of visuals, I'm more concerned about lighting/illumination (or the lack or it!!).

It's not my TV. GT5 looks fine on my TV. It's GT6.

And it's not motion blur either when EVERYTHING is blurry. It's the game itself.

Seriously, pop in GT5. It's ridiculous how much sharper and cleaner GT5 is in comparison.

The motion blur in GT6 gives the illusion that GT5 looks sharper due to everything looking more static.

The motion blur in GT6 gives the illusion that GT5 looks sharper due to everything looking more static.

No, you don't undestand, wether you're moving or not GT5 looks sharper. Do you understand what MOTION means? The problem is real and it doesn't have to do with movement at all.

I don't know what some people are talking about, I received a new LG 1080p LED LCD TV and this thing runs great at 60FPS it's unbelievable.

It literally looks like you're looking at real cars and the cockpit view is so neat and brushed even better than Forza 5 in my opinion.

PD did a great job with graphics...you just need an HDMI cable and good tv.

I think its highly subjective as to which game looks better, personally, I prefer the look of GT5, which to me seems to have more natural, realistic look, but that's not to say I don't like the the graphics in GT6.

In fact, after running a fair few laps around Silverstone in both GT6 and Forza 5, I think GT6 holds up very well in comparison despite the generation jump of Forza 5. I think this is due to how much sharper and cleaner(if not quite as tidy) the overall look of GT6, at least to me appears to be compared to GT5.

Just like GT5, I can focus on one or two things, or I can appreciate the whole picture, so to speak. I think it looks great.
There is so much difference across televisions. But my Samsung is set at standard Brightness, all enhancing options are either turned Off, or automatic.
GT5 was criticised for being sterile looking. Now it looks more organic, and guess what? Nobody is 'satisfied' with it, even considering the modest hardware it is running on.
A.I, game structure, and other things can justifiably be argued about, but not the visuals? Or so I believe, anyway.

Last edited:
Worse framerate, worse aliasing, blurry picture and worse textures = facts, it has nothing to do with my or the people's opinion, GT6 has worse graphics than GT5 and that is a fact.

I haven't tried GT5 on my new tv but on my samsung tv I agree with you it was a little bit blurred here and there.

My samsung tv is a good tv too, but my LG smart LED LCD TV looked odd at first then everything adjusted and it looks great.

Worse framerate, worse aliasing, blurry picture and worse textures = facts, it has nothing to do with my or the people's opinion, GT6 has worse graphics than GT5 and that is a fact.

Both are good but definitely GT6 with better lighting. That is the main difference along with aa.

The aliasing is much worse on certain tracks, ones with no time change, & even on time change tracks at certain times of the day. It can turn into a rather horrible flicker fest. :( I was racing on Fuji tonight & it looked nasty compared to GT5 I must say. But free running on The Ring 24 hour with weather overcast it looks awesome, I don't get it! :boggled: Hopefully, as they optimize the game code overtime they'll be able to run more anti-aliasing.

Shadows unfortunately look quite a bit better in GT5. Especially when running down Nurb near sunrise or sundown. They look more detailed and feature filled, while in GT6, they look more like blobs with little detail. The good outweighs the bad though, and I still prefer GT6.

I find it slightly odd that we haven't seen a Digital Foundry analysis to put some concrete numbers to this problem. They were pretty quick on their analyses of FM5 and GT5 if I recall.

GT6 is technically superior. People are just arguing which one they personally prefer. GT5 has better aa on all tracks. Msaa is pretty much dead now and hardly been used. GT6 has better lighting and post process aa. Which is the standard now and will be used in future games

GT6 is technically superior. People are just arguing which one they personally prefer. GT5 has better aa on all tracks. Msaa is pretty much dead now and hardly been used. GT6 has better lighting and post process aa. Which is the standard now and will be used in future games

What exactly does technically superior mean? They robbed Peter to pay Paul. Some areas are superior, some are noticeably inferior in order to gain the space for those improvements, which is why people are debating their preferences.

I don't know what some people are talking about, I received a new LG 1080p LED LCD TV and this thing runs great at 60FPS it's unbelievable.

It literally looks like you're looking at real cars and the cockpit view is so neat and brushed even better than Forza 5 in my opinion.

PD did a great job with graphics...you just need an HDMI cable and good tv.

Uh, come on now... Better than Forza 5???? It's not even close, granted, it looks good for being on a decade piece of hardware but it doesn't touch the graphics on Forza 5, and it shouldn't. I think they've sacrificed some of the crispness and used that for the dynamic lighting that we are seeing now.

I can't figure out why the painted grid boxes and fencing at Spa looks like a light show before your on top of them? The curbs also appear to be clipping and cutting in the distance. Distracting. Viewing at Spa is the easiest and quickest way to see what I'm speaking of.

I can't figure out why the painted grid boxes and fencing at Spa looks like a light show before your on top of them? The curbs also appear to be clipping and cutting in the distance. Distracting. Viewing at Spa is the easiest and quickest way to see what I'm speaking of.

It's called Aliasing, flickering lines all over the place.

Do you guys think that if they dropped the res in 1080p mode to 1280 X 1080 just like GT5, the frame rate will be smoother? GT6's 1080p mode is 1440 X 1080. I feel that 1280 X 1080 on GT5 looks good enough and the frame rate is pretty stable with some drops here and there. The only downside was that QAA anti-aliasing was used in GT5. GT6 does not have that blurry QAA, so it would look sharper and better.

Do you guys think that if they dropped the res in 1080p mode to 1280 X 1080 just like GT5, the frame rate will be smoother? GT6's 1080p mode is 1440 X 1080. I feel that 1280 X 1080 on GT5 looks good enough and the frame rate is pretty stable with some drops here and there. The only downside was that QAA anti-aliasing was used in GT5. GT6 does not have that blurry QAA, so it would look sharper and better.

GT6 uses MLAA which just blurs the entire picture, going back to GT5's resolution would probably help but the aliasing would be even worse. GT5 at 720p was the best choice between sharpness and AA, GT6 is the same no matter what resolution you choose.

I guess for those that either don't notice, or don't care, or even like a soft display then it's no big deal. But considering how many people hate FXAA it would have been nice if PD had broken with console-tradition and given us the option of disabling it. Compared to GT5 (or ANY game I play, since I never use any kind of blurry AA method) GT6 looks continually out-of-focus and lacking in detail and clarity. *Sigh*. I'll try to get used to it, but what a disappointment...
I thought I'd adjust to it, but I'm periodically blinking as I'm afraid my eyes are going out of focus, when it's just their silly anti-aliasing. I really don't care for AA at native resolution because all it does is fuzz the image, but at least GT5 was decent. I think Tom and all the naysayers are right, and Kaz should either go back to GT5's level/method of AA and blur, cut it back a step, or give us the options like they do in PC games.

I thought I'd adjust to it, but I'm periodically blinking as I'm afraid my eyes are going out of focus, when it's just their silly anti-aliasing. I really don't care for AA at native resolution because all it does is fuzz the image, but at least GT5 was decent. I think Tom and all the naysayers are right, and Kaz should either go back to GT5's level/method of AA and blur, cut it back a step, or give us the options like they do in PC games.

I'd be interested to see what the game looked like at a full 1080p with no AA at all. I have no idea if that's a tradeoff that can be made, but I suspect it wouldn't look that bad in motion at 60fps.

I would definitely take the jagged shadows from GT5 over the weirdness going on in GT6, I don't mind the softer interior shadows but my gosh the tracks took a hit bad. The weird blob flickering shadows on Bathurst are just terrible and verge on distracting when trying to race there. I don't know, I almost wish I could just turn shadows off at this point, they're so bad.. :ill:

What exactly does technically superior mean? They robbed Peter to pay Paul. Some areas are superior, some are noticeably inferior in order to gain the space for those improvements, which is why people are debating their preferences.

As I said msaa is dying and rarely used in games these days including PS4 games. Pretty much every dev is using post process aa. Simply because GT5 used 4x msaa in 720p mode does not mean it had better graphics. GT6 is superior and future proof tech that will be carried to PS4

Back