Have microtransactions affected Gran Turismo 6?

• Thread starter machschnel
  • 152 comments

Have microtransactions affected Gran Turismo 6?

• Yes

Votes: 139 55.4%
  • No

Votes: 90 35.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 22 8.8%

• Total voters
machschnel
Do you feel the gameplay of Gran Turismo 6 has been changed/altered/manipulated by the addition of microtransactions?

Personally, between the severely downgraded seasonal payouts (https://www.gtplanet.net/first-seasonal-events-for-gran-turismo-6-now-live/), possible body rigidity issues (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/body-rigidity-deteriorates-way-too-fast.292723/), less cars available in Arcade Mode and the omission of the daily login bonus, I'd have to say that so far Gran Turismo 6 has indeed been affected by microtransactions.

The argument that players could just "ignore them" or "not use them" appears to be a fallacy.

Like telling a hungry person: You can`t afford the food I`m selling? You don`t have to buy. Please go and leave me alone.

Jim Sterling has a good take on all this. GT6 is mentioned, but the majority of the video is regarding other games. It's more about the direction the industry is taking ( likely, over a huge cliff, though many will have horded enough cash to buy a parachute for themselves, once it happens ) and the role of F(r)ee to Pay and micro-transactions.

Some hate Jim Sterling. I think he's absolutely great.

Have a look, see if you feel it can be applied to GT6 ?

NSFW, in terms of strong language. Point in hand, starts around 1minute 10sec...

Do you feel the gameplay of Gran Turismo 6 has been changed/altered/manipulated by the addition of microtransactions?

Personally, between the severely downgraded seasonal payouts (https://www.gtplanet.net/first-seasonal-events-for-gran-turismo-6-now-live/), possible body rigidity issues (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/body-rigidity-deteriorates-way-too-fast.292723/), less cars available in Arcade Mode and the omission of the daily login bonus, I'd have to say that so far Gran Turismo 6 has indeed been affected by microtransactions.

The argument that players could just "ignore them" or "not use them" appears to be a fallacy.

No. It's actually better than GT5 when it first came out. Daily login bonus came WAAAYYY later. Plus I got 100k from the BMW seasonal so it is already getting better...

We are moving towards a society where every human activity is converted to cash. This is apparent everywhere, including the gaming industry. The cause of this is the need for constant growth of the economy, or else it will fail.

In other words, get used to it because it is only going to get worse ;)

Last edited:
That'll be patched in

So are we comparing both games at launch or not? We also don't know how B-Spec will ultimately be implemented, since GT6's game structure is very different from GT4's. Along that note, another thing GT5 had at launch that GT6 doesn't (and we've seen no indication that it ever will) for reasons possibly related to microtransactions is car gifting; which was another massive shortcut around much of GT5's tedium (if for no other reason than because of the 1970 birthday ticket).

and B-Spec had very low payouts and long races.

Which meant I could watch a television show or play something else during the time instead of be forced to put up with it. And "very low" is relative, since 800,000 credits for ~70 minutes where I was doing something else entirely as Bob was running around in his X1 (such as watching a couple episodes of Magnum, p.i. on Netflix) and using that money to do what I pleased with afterwards was much more enjoyable than 10 minutes where I had to chase the rabbits myself around Indianapolis in a Corvette to get the same end result.

We are talking about A-Spec here and as far as A-Spec goes it's better than GT5.

You are talking about A-Spec, and more specifically A-Spec now vs. A-Spec of GT5 at launch (which isn't even what the OP was talking about either). I'm talking about GT Mode in general, because that is more applicable to the topic itself and far more relevant to your initial claim that GT6 is "actually better than GT5 when it first came out;" because for earning credits it's pretty hard to top the formula of "give Bob X1 and do something else".

Last edited:
First, lets's call them "Mega-Transactions" as someone commented earlier. Because £120 for 1 cars worth of credits is not micro. Secondly, as someone who has had in excess of 200million additional credits I do not feel the Mega Transactions have ruined the game.

Mercedes kindly gifted me a car that I was able to find a buyer willing to paying 20million for, Mercedes then agreed to sell me additional cars at 1 million a piece, I sold them all for 20million per vehicle, thus making a healthy profit. So this was a really good business opportunity for me and has helped greatly in gathering a collection of cars.

As a result of this I've not needed to resort to Mega Transactions. I look forward to more future business with Mercedes and am also negotiating deals with BMW.

First, lets's call them "Mega-Transactions" as someone commented earlier. Because £120 for 1 cars worth of credits is not micro. Secondly, as someone who has had in excess of 200million additional credits I do not feel the Mega Transactions have ruined the game.

Mercedes kindly gifted me a car that I was able to find a buyer willing to paying 20million for, Mercedes then agreed to sell me additional cars at 1 million a piece, I sold them all for 20million per vehicle, thus making a healthy profit. So this was a really good business opportunity for me and has helped greatly in gathering a collection of cars.

As a result of this I've not needed to resort to Mega Transactions. I look forward to more future business with Mercedes and am also negotiating deals with BMW.

I see what you did thar...

*Salutes* :-P

What microtransactions?

The Merc glitch rather made them redundant.

1 week in, my status page says I've got 372 cars, 42 million credits, and I've spent as much on mods as the 3.9 million credits I've earned playing the game.

Pointless thread as they simply don't exist.

NSFW, in terms of strong language. Point in hand, starts around 1minute 10sec...

Well, he's right, except dignity has nothing to do with it. Corporations like Sony or Microsoft do not have any kind of moral awareness or conscience. Their only purpose is to make a profit, any way they can. Any way we let them.

If anything, it's our fault if we buy into these scams. We are feeding the mindless monster.

No, not in my opinion. I've been playing GT6 for 6 days now - by this point in GT5 I was well into the tedious grind for money to buy the cars required for various career mode races. In GT6 I've got tons of career events left to do. The occasional car that I need to buy is easily paid for with my winnings.

I think GT6's "economy" is a gigantic improvement over GT5's.

If the Merc glitch didn't exist, then yes; absolutely.

How many years some of us spent wishing for PD to improve the prize system in GT6 just to end up with this? If MT's didn't exist, we would just assume that PD didn't listen and just hope that future high payout Seasonal Events fixed it. But that MT crap with its outrageous prices are just evidence that the game was ruined on purpose to make people fall into this scheme.

As I mentioned in another thread, more reasonable prices like 1.99 bucks for every 10,000,000Cr. would be much more fair and I would happily be willing to go for it even knowing that is wrong. I mean, come on! $50 bucks for only 7,000,000Cr.!! You can not even buy most high end cars in the game with that! And how would the average Joe would feel after paying that insane amount to be able to buy a car in the game, just to realize it's not even that good! Even if it was, I don't think anyone in their right mind would be able to live with themselves after such absurd decision.

Most games give you Add-ons which are packed with new content and in most cases, hours and hours of extra game play for no more than $10. Whoever decided the insulting prices for GT6's credit packs went as low as they get since they don't even add anything new.

So yes. In theory (if the glitch didn't exist), the game was ruined by MT's.

We are moving towards a society where every human activity is converted to cash. This is apparent everywhere, including the gaming industry. The cause of this is the need for constant growth of the economy, or else it will fail.

In other words, get used to it because it is only going to get worse ;)

The day GT turns into iracing or Raceroom experience may already be here.. except we also have to pay for the initial product.. I will really pay attention when GT7 comes out on PS4.. not going to get reeled into forced payment for anything.

I wonder if GT7 is going to be like World of Warcraft: You buy an initial game which is basically just the install disc and afterwards you're charged on a monthly basis for being able to play plus additional DLC-costs. This is where the gaming industry is heading to: constant cash flows.

GT5 was TOO EASY.

a week just before GT6 release, I tried replaying GT5 from scratch, doing some A spec races, then I enter Seasonal, with only 110% bonus, I got around 800k per 1 race, only using 50HP or so car (I forgot which seasonal) That was way too much money.

Now, in GT6, making money is difficult, so when I wanted to buy a new car, I chose carefully JUST like in real life! it's not like in GT5 where you could just buy everything and complain about the slow buying animation time, etc ( I was one of those who complain about that too!)

The micro-transactions have had no impact on GT6. Micro-transactions have had an impact on the minds of GT6 players, especially those who were spoiled by GT5 payout increases to appease the whiners. It's an entirely psychological effect that has no impact on the true spirit of the gameplay. To me GT6 payouts feel like the true nature of the GT experience is back.

The micro-transactions have had no impact on GT6. Micro-transactions have had an impact on the minds of GT6 players, especially those who were spoiled by GT5 payout increases to appease the whiners. It's an entirely psychological effect that has no impact on the true spirit of the gameplay. To me GT6 payouts feel like the true nature of the GT experience is back.

Have you compared the car prize list of GT5 and GT6 before you wrote this statement ? I was going to report you for trolling. How can you say they have no impact when so many areas are effected?

Won any gift tickets yet for accomplishments, such as % completion or or driving so many miles? No me neither.

The start of this was on the pc many moons ago with the end of games such as Medal of Honor Allied assault.

We could make maps,skins,mods for games like this and if good enough the company's would hire or take on the idea's great..... Until they thought wait we could make £ out of this and it was no more now we buy DLC Maps,Weapons,Cars for god sake even avatars and screensavers its all gone mad.

Dont get me wrong if the DLC is good quality example (Porsche Car Pack) that has not been held back or even on the disc we bought then yes i maybe buy it.

It hasn't caused any negative impact as far as I can tell. The reason why the seasonal events have lower payouts than the ones in GT5 did, is to simply keep stability within the game economy. The high payouts that the seasonal events in GT5 had, disrupted the economic system within that game by allowing the player to purchase a 1,000,000cr hypercar within 3 minutes of hot lapping, which completely obliterated the need for the A-Spec campaign.

Last edited:
Back