Have You Purchased Microtransactions in GT7?

Have You Purchased Microtransactions in GT7?

• Yes

Votes: 41 6.9%
  • No

Votes: 552 93.1%

• Total voters
I would realistically pay $5-7 per LCD car, with a maximum of 10-15 for the really expensive ones.

Why Sony chooses not to make MTX’s a better value is beyond me
Yeah I think the prices are too expensive for it to be "micro".

It kinda sounds like they're too greedy and expect people to actually buy a lot of credits for those kind of price but I don't know.

I'd rather be able to buy individual LCD cars for like $5 personally.

It kinda sounds like they're too greedy and expect people to actually buy a lot of credits for those kind of price but I don't know.

agreed, GTS had rides for a dollar & upwards. all changed w GT7.
must be working somewhere, but not here in SFL

agreed, GTS had rides for a dollar & upwards. all changed w GT7.
must be working somewhere, but not here in SFL
Yeah, I skipped GT6 and GTS so imagine my surprise when cars like the Aston Martin DB3S costs around 10 dollar more or less (I think?, I'm not from US) compared to GT7 which is around two and a half times more expensive.

GT40 Mk 1 cost us around 2,5 real dollars in GTS. The same car costs 5,600,000 cr in GT7. The 2,000,000 credits can be purchased for around 18 dollars. That means we have to spend around 54 real dollars to get that car in GT7, it's insane.

Last edited:
I fully expect those that voted yes as die hard Kaz can do no wrong fans. :dopey:

Or people that work a whole lot and don’t have the hours to grind.

At least that’ll be my excuse when/if I venture down that path

The fact that the transactions are so expensive probably means that they not motivated by greed but by something else. Like keeping the most expensive cars rare and exclusive.

I will be honest and admit that I have started looking at the "add ons" (nice euphemism for micro transactions, btw) almost every day since I completed all menu books. Seriously, those "extra menu books" where you can only complete collections by actually buying cars is the most stupid and disappointing gameplay move ever. Can't come up with more events to make even more menu books with missions, challenges, races or other activities? Then give away cars as rewards for existing events on the circuits. Or put more cars into the daily marathon roulette instead of tons of engines to swap with cars that I don't have and won't ever be able to buy unless I grind for millions of credits every day. I was extremely excited about GT7 when I saw it - and it was actually the single one reason for me to buy a PS5 (and that is my very first game console in my life, now being a 54 years old guy 🙈). But I am getting increasingly frustrated with it these days, because everything is becoming more and more of a chore than actual gaming fun in my spare time. But as many other wrote before, after having paid a full price for the game, I will not ever pay another € for additional credits. 😤

The fact that the transactions are so expensive probably means that they not motivated by greed but by something else. Like keeping the most expensive cars rare and exclusive.
I'm just wondering: What's the incentive for them to arbitrarily restrict access to those cars for paying customers? Because more playing hours do not mean more money for them - it just means more frustrated users, wouldn't it?

I'm just wondering: What's the incentive for them to arbitrarily restrict access to those cars for paying customers? Because more playing hours do not mean more money for them - it just means more frustrated users, wouldn't it?
In making the cars harder to obtain it imparts a degree of rarity or value. It's not just the cost of the cars, it's the invitation only cars, the cycle of availability in the Used car and Legendary car dealerships, and the barriers to 'building' your own 'unicorn' car (i.e. engine swaps and S parts). Ultimately what the developers are asking of you (and offering you) is a long term time investment, and I think it's fair to assume their incentive is that in some way they benefit from prolonged interaction with the game, and possibly because they think giving you that emotional investment in the cars makes the game better. Whether or not that's what you get out of it likely depends on your attitude to the game, but if you've put a lot of time into something you're more likely to value it when you achieve it*.

In principle, this is one of the cornerstones of the franchise (race, earn, buy), if you don't like the concept of that, GT isn't the game for you - that said, the time investment required versus the things to do to occupy that time seem much less favourable this time around, to the extent where it seems obvious that a sensible way of prolonging players interaction with the game would just be to give them more to do, or tweak a couple of features to make them more accessible.

* A paradoxical example of this, for me personally, is liveries. I've put A LOT of time into making liveries, and am proud of them - a big part of that is because they are hard to do. Now, most people would probably prefer PD made it so you could just upload PNG files of any size, rather than being restricted to 15kb SVG's, and it's tough to argue that wouldn't make the game better for many people - but at the same time, it would remove a sense of accomplishment and achievement that I value.

The people who voted "yes" are the people Kaz was targeting at launch with the predatory monetary scheme.

It was (at the time of this post) the 519 users who voted "no" that rightfully destroyed Kaz's public perception via Meta Critic and forced them to walk the predatory practices back.

And now we're seemingly stuck in a state of purgatory. I wonder how/if that fiasco altered their plans and if more content would have been released by now but hasn't because it would have cost money...

Last edited:
I almost have all the cars I want and I can say this. My time playing the game and enjoying it has only increased, and none of that enjoyment is from anything single player. IMO, the single player portion of this game is horrendous, like the cafe menus etc.

For some reason even doing the historic races which I enjoy, feels like a chore or redundant once you’ve placed first.

Get in a good lobby league with like minded individuals and it’s a great game. Boot it up after work to race single player and it’s not that great at all.

I just wish the MTX schedule was the same as it was in GTS. I’d have a hundred bucks into the game by now

I have to repeat, if PD added the GT Sport model of buying cars, maybe we’d be looking at a big swing in yes votes. Buying Credits to top up and an option of “Buy this car now”. Anyway, that’s not what they went with, in the boardroom meeting.

I did it in other games (The Crew 2 for example), although only when there was a sale.

But I will never do it in GT7 because the prices are just ridiculous!
I want the McLaren but it would cost €80(!!) to buy with real money. That's insane! Even if there was a 50% sale I wouldn't do it. I would pay max €5 for a single car.

In making the cars harder to obtain it imparts a degree of rarity or value. It's not just the cost of the cars, it's the invitation only cars, the cycle of availability in the Used car and Legendary car dealerships, and the barriers to 'building' your own 'unicorn' car (i.e. engine swaps and S parts). Ultimately what the developers are asking of you (and offering you) is a long term time investment, and I think it's fair to assume their incentive is that in some way they benefit from prolonged interaction with the game, and possibly because they think giving you that emotional investment in the cars makes the game better. Whether or not that's what you get out of it likely depends on your attitude to the game, but if you've put a lot of time into something you're more likely to value it when you achieve it*.

In principle, this is one of the cornerstones of the franchise (race, earn, buy), if you don't like the concept of that, GT isn't the game for you - that said, the time investment required versus the things to do to occupy that time seem much less favourable this time around, to the extent where it seems obvious that a sensible way of prolonging players interaction with the game would just be to give them more to do, or tweak a couple of features to make them more accessible.

* A paradoxical example of this, for me personally, is liveries. I've put A LOT of time into making liveries, and am proud of them - a big part of that is because they are hard to do. Now, most people would probably prefer PD made it so you could just upload PNG files of any size, rather than being restricted to 15kb SVG's, and it's tough to argue that wouldn't make the game better for many people - but at the same time, it would remove a sense of accomplishment and achievement that I value.
I get that - and I am absolutely excited to spend a lot more time with this game. I love practicing with my favourite cars in my favourite circuits, and it feels great when I get better at the things I like doing. But it's undeniably becoming a chore to grind races to get 10 or 20 million credits to buy some of those "special" cars. And that, to me, simply feels out of proportions to what GT7 at the end of the day is: A video game.

Last edited:
I would pay 50 Euros for a "flat rate" for all the cars. This is more or less once the price of the game. But sorry. I can't afford thousand euros or more for that 😅

I would also not pay 5 euros for a single car, because they are too many of them, one just can collect imo.
If I really want a so single car, I grind for it.

I grinded to get them all in GT7. It was my first GT game. But I had to spend a lot of time for that. Too much time.
I think (at least I hope) , I learned from that. One can have a lot of fun with a small amount of cars. But of course, it's hard, not to own them all

The biggest issue I think for most people is, they’re not logging on because they want to, they’re doing it because they have to in order to access content of a game they‘ve purchased. If it’s your first GT game, you might not feel it as much, but I’ll never forget buying GT5 (a little late) earning all the cars and then GT6 gets announced, I buy it and I’m literally back to square one. GT6 got hardly any gameplay from me for that exact reason and it really didn’t help that project cars had released shortly after. We all jumped ship immediately.

PD thinks they’ve got something special with their earning cars, single player gameplay, but it’s incredibly outdated and an extremely frustrating process that taints the experience of the game. When you’ve got thread after thread and video after video on several different social media outlets about how ridiculous it is how how people hate it and videos on how to earn the most money with the least amount of time invested, you’d think you’d pickup on that and take a second look at your game. Lol.

People have written scripts to play the game for them. If it wasn’t so brutal, nobody would even invest the time into doing that. PD just stands there with their ears plugged and their eyes closed.

Kudos to them for making a game they think is the best and not listening to their player base. I just wish somebody could get thru to them. In my opinion they should read GT7 threads, compile a list, make a poll, see what gets the most votes and try listening to the people buying your game year after year. See what happens.

Their timing on releases are quite good, not a lot of games to compare with. I think that strategy fools them into thinking they‘ve hit a home run. By the time people move on they probably just figure it’s because their game is old now and run its course when in reality it’s because we finally have other options.

The idea of having to put some sweat-equity into the game in order to get some of these rare cars doesn’t bother me one bit.. It’s the lack of well-paying events, that makes it monotonous. I still for the life of me can’t figure out why the Sardegna 800pp race pays more that the NBG 800 or Autopolis 800, Fuji 800, ect. - when those races are much more difficult IMO. The 1 hour mission races should be repeatable. It’s such an easily-remedied oversight that they’re a ‘one and done’.

Like I’m sure I’ve mentioned in this thread and others, I work ~100 hours a week and have other hobbies outside of sim racing. I’m a very time-poor person. If I could buy a 20,000,000 credit car for $10-15, I would do it. If PD decided to sell a version of their upcoming games that cost somewhere in the realm of 2.5 times the cost of the normal sales price, but included ALL of the cars….. I would buy it.

Hell, I’ll even do them one better. Charge me $200 for a game that comes with all the cars, but I can only access them once I’ve completed certain parts of the game. That way they can make their $$$, and me…the player, isn’t shorted of the SP experience either.

Figuring out how to rip people off is easy!! You guys just need be wiser on how to not only rip people off, but make them feel like they’re getting a deal at the same time!

You’re better than this PD 😂

I mentioned it awhile ago, time based credits. Whatever race you do, you get paid X amount of credits per minute for racing in the game. Now you log on, you don’t look at your current credits and decide how to best spend your time cause there’s a car you want before it’s gone. You simply boot up, pick a race you haven’t done in awhile and race!

that doesn’t take care of the poor AI but that’s another topic entirely. At least with time based credits you race whatever you want and not feel like you’re throwing away a lot of money because you could be running Sardegna and racking up some credits. If I have a half hour, I really don’t want to spend it doing Sardegna Or LeMans. Ideally, online, but I’d take any other race(s) in that half hour and earn the same amount.

I mentioned it awhile ago, time based credits. Whatever race you do, you get paid X amount of credits per minute for racing in the game. Now you log on, you don’t look at your current credits and decide how to best spend your time cause there’s a car you want before it’s gone. You simply boot up, pick a race you haven’t done in awhile and race!

that doesn’t take care of the poor AI but that’s another topic entirely. At least with time based credits you race whatever you want and not feel like you’re throwing away a lot of money because you could be running Sardegna and racking up some credits. If I have a half hour, I really don’t want to spend it doing Sardegna Or LeMans. Ideally, online, but I’d take any other race(s) in that half hour and earn the same amount.
Would be nice to get something for doing time trials also. I'm new to the game but so far I don't like the races much. This may be a sim when it comes to driving/physics but the races lack any realism. Always starting last and using a overpowered car to catch 1st, that's as arcade as it can be. I rather just race against the clock.

Would be nice to get something for doing time trials also. I'm new to the game but so far I don't like the races much. This may be a sim when it comes to driving/physics but the races lack any realism. Always starting last and using an overpowered car to catch 1st, that's as arcade as it can be. I rather just race against the clock.
I’ve changed my mindset with regards to the racing. I’ve accepted that the game isn’t a racing sim, it’s a car game.

After experimenting with custom races I’ve come to the conclusion that chase the rabbit is all this game is good for so decided to embrace it and create my own chase the rabbit events at the circuits I want, with the cars/grids I want, because PD won’t give us any or always manage to ruin the ones they have given us with weird grids (e.g. putting group b rally cars in the neo classic races, or the wipeout cars in the Gr1 events).

Oh… there’s just one problem, you can’t set the rolling start to anything other than 20 meters because it’s been bugged since launch and if you try it defaults it to 15 meters.

Back