HDTV for GT4

  • Thread starter Thread starter maxi
  • 218 comments
  • 25,938 views
i said if it never drops below 30fps you wont be able to tell the difference between 30 and 120
 
Gabkicks
i said if it never drops below 30fps you wont be able to tell the difference between 30 and 120
yep, and orubasarot said that this is not true, and he's right!
 
I know I can tell a diff between 30 and 60 myself.
 
Yeah, i'm sorry, I must have SUPER VISION but I can definately see the difference between a solid 30 and 60.. whether it's because our eyes have a higher bandwidth of info we can gather, I know from experience it's higher than 30.. we might not be able to capture 60 fps.. but we can capture over 30. I have read that people are hard pressed to see a difference between 45 fps and 60 fps. So maybe the human eye can't be fooled past 45.

Jay
 
its cus ur not seeing steady 30fps. :) If a game never drops below 30fps you cant tell. but few games do that.
 
As you're not the only one with this question, I'm going to answer it elaborately:

Theoretically this equipment is enough to hook up your PS2 to your monitor. You put the component able in the PS2, plug it into the VGA adaptor and connect your monitor to the adaptor, so far so good. As the computer's not even connected to the monitor, it won't need to run.

However, most of the monitors don't work with 480i, the standard output of the PS2. So, you won't see anything on your monitor. "No prob!" you might think, as GT4 can do 480p and 1080i, and the majority of monitors will run with 480p and 1080i. The only problem is that GT4 automatically goes back to 480i when you're in the menus, so you're still not going to see anything unless you're driving.

So, the problem is to find a monitor that will do 480i. I haven't found one yet (at least none that's available in Germany), but I'm still searching. If you're absolutely lucky yours will do 480i, and you can play all of your games without a problem. Don't count on it though.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
I agree with previous poster, GT3 on a HDTV does look pretty bad. My Hitachi convert any signal in 540p or 1080i when it displays. I can tell you that there is a big difference between a progressive an interlaced signal.

Unless you want to have a bigger screen, do not buy an HDTV just for GT4 because the game does not output in progressive mode.
 
Symtex
Unless you want to have a bigger screen, do not buy an HDTV just for GT4 because the game does not output in progressive mode.
You mean GT3. GT4 can do 480p.
 
the Interceptor
You mean GT3. GT4 can do 480p.

It does ? i didn't know that. I might get the Monster cable for it then. thanks
 
Symtex
It does ? i didn't know that. I might get the Monster cable for it then. thanks
Yep, it does 480p and 1080i.

EDIT: cobragt :cheers: :sly:
 
the Interceptor
Yep, it does 480p and 1080i.

EDIT: cobragt :cheers: :sly:

I have a DVD player that can display 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080I thru DVI cable and I can tell you that I prefer anything in Progressive mode then in Interlaced Mode. So when someone tell me 1080i I am not impressed but the fact taht 480p is avaiable for Gt4 is satisfying for me.
 
someone should make a new detailed topic with all the info needed about HDTV, features ect..that whould be great. 👍
 
Symtex
I have a DVD player that can display 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080I thru DVI cable and I can tell you that I prefer anything in Progressive mode then in Interlaced Mode. So when someone tell me 1080i I am not impressed but the fact taht 480p is avaiable for Gt4 is satisfying for me.




here is why... All current DVD's are NOT true HD, they are provided in interlaced and non-interlaced compatible formats. The output decoder, does the job of optimization, you must have a tv capable of Progressive scan, in laymens terms 480p.

Xbox Is Capable of displaying of upto 1080i, with a simple hdtv kit, The same could be said about the PS2 except for the fact that I have only own 5 PS2 games, one of which supports 480p. Before I played ATV offroad 2, I though It was impossible to use progressive, and yes it looked twice as crisp.

So far I am only aware of a few games that actually support 1080i, soul cal2, Tony hawk series games above 3, and a couple of those interactive dvd's like dragon's lair. I only own soul cal 2.

As for GT4, 480p is expected, rumored also is 720p and 1080i, Which in itself if it delivers either of the 2 modes, will truly be the crowning jewel of my HD setup. But alas, component video does not always mean HD, It just eliminates the amount of parts your tv needs to use to create a picture from the signal provided from a source.

here is a quick map to help you understand:

|source| + |1| + |2| + |3| + |4| + |5| = |picture on screen|

1= RF connection (standard Coax)
2= Composite connection (Red,White & Yellow Cables)
3= S-video connection (that funny looking plug {requires audio connection too})
4= Component Video (RED, Blue & Green {also requires separate audio})
4= VGA or RGB type Video (requires encoder and audio)
5= DVI/HDMI connection (dvi Requires separate audio, HDMI includes it.)

Just as an interpretation, the reason you have poor picture quality on a "regular" connection is because of the fact that you are using a coax connection.

That means it must be decoded by the processor, encoded by the I/O controller, then decoder by the RF modulator, then decoded by the other processors in the tv. that is 7 steps, where as a compnent only needs 3 and DVI/HDMI only need 2.

Until a video game company makes a tv with the I/O controller of the console built into the tv, the best you can hope for is 2 steps, that is also the best picture your going to be able to get, at least until they figure out how to reasonably create a higher definition format at an affordable amount.

so be happy with 480p, and be excited if you can get higher than that.
 
wonderpill
here is a quick map to help you understand:

|source| + |1| + |2| + |3| + |4| + |5| = |picture on screen|

1= RF connection (standard Coax)Forgot to mention... The TV ALSO needs to tune the channel 3 or 4 signal in
QUOTE]

Also If you are running it with the composite, into your VCR, you are going from line to channel 3 through probably the worst RF modulator, then re-encode it as a channel 3 signal, to be tuned in by the tv on channel 3. If your VCR has a Clock in it, you will more than likely see a slowly up-wards scrolling line, with one side of your picture being darker than the other.

If this is you, go buy the $15 rf modulator that replaces the standard in the box wiring, Or preferably go buy a new TV and Matching wiring.
 
hey guys!
im glad to have found this hd tv gt compability picture quality thread:) i run gt on a normal tv but right now its hooked up to a 40" plasma one and i expected the picture to be way better. im using the normal ps2 provided cables that go into the 'scart' outlet of the tv. anyway gt3 shows extreme contrast and brightness that i cannot eliminate wether its adjusted with the tv or the ps2. gt4 prologue looks alot better its smoother and the picture looks less flashy but when it goes into shadowy areas (nyc) u cant see much. it looks more optimized for these kinds of tvs but still not as good as i think it could. i tried to understand the technical stuff on these pages but honestly dont even know what exactly 480i/480p/1008i means...im guessin resolution? anyone got an idea how to optimize the quality with cables or how i can adjust the 480/720/1008 properties on the tv or the ps2? thanx alot
 
alpine_man
hey guys!
im glad to have found this hd tv gt compability picture quality thread:) i run gt on a normal tv but right now its hooked up to a 40" plasma one and i expected the picture to be way better. im using the normal ps2 provided cables that go into the 'scart' outlet of the tv. anyway gt3 shows extreme contrast and brightness that i cannot eliminate wether its adjusted with the tv or the ps2. gt4 prologue looks alot better its smoother and the picture looks less flashy but when it goes into shadowy areas (nyc) u cant see much. it looks more optimized for these kinds of tvs but still not as good as i think it could. i tried to understand the technical stuff on these pages but honestly dont even know what exactly 480i/480p/1008i means...im guessin resolution? anyone got an idea how to optimize the quality with cables or how i can adjust the 480/720/1008 properties on the tv or the ps2? thanx alot

First of all, get the component cables for the PS2.. you're not going to get anything better than 480i with the included video cable.

Jay
 
Usually you will need the MONSTER Component connection, It is the only one known to me. after you connect it to your tv, you will need to select "component" from your tv channel selection, usually it will come up if you press the input button on the tv, now turn on your ps2 with the drive open, go into the advanced settings, where it says video output change that to Cr Yu Rb, NOT RGB. now put in a game that supports 480p, one that is cheap and comes to mind immediately is ATV off road fury "2", I knowthis game has it, go into options and then video and select switch to progressive scan. It will take a few seconds, and then like Windows does, It will ask you if you can see this message. If yes then continue, and smile.

This also means most of your dvd movies will also play in 480p, and to top it all off, more games like GT4 will be progressive scan, so just go buy the wire and hook it up already... just make sure your tv has the inputs on the back, as described in my funny little demonstration above.

*****IT IS CALLED COMPONENT, not composite, so right it down, because you will say it wrong at the store.*****
 
To whoever stated that 1080i isn't as impressive as 480p, I've played both with GT4, and 1080i is far better. The framerate doesn't drop, and circuits like Seattle look amazing. Circuits with many trees or people however look a bit flat due to the super sharpness.
 
wolf8218
http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=68

what about that? do i need the component cables if i have that?
Yes, you will need a component cable to connect your PS2 to the adaptor.
wonderpill
now put in a game that supports 480p, one that is cheap and comes to mind immediately is ATV off road fury "2", I knowthis game has it, go into options and then video and select switch to progressive scan. It will take a few seconds, and then like Windows does, It will ask you if you can see this message. If yes then continue, and smile.
For most of the games supporting 480p, you can't select it in the options. Instead, you must hold down "X" and "/\" (triangle) while the game loads. Then this question pops up if you can see the message just like wonderpill said. Confirm it, and then you can play in 480p. You need to do this every time you boot the game though.

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
Just so you guys understand my picture... The numbers represent the components in a Standard tv, actually all tvs that are HD have these parts in them, HD ready tvs only support a HD box that will tell the picture generator what to do, bypassing all the components in side the tv.

So if you have an RF connection, it has to go in 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 then the picture generates, shortcutting to the generator provides the least amount of signal degredation.

Like wise If your tv has Upconversion, a term commonly used for Non-HD or interlaced video such as 480i, the best possible outcome is from a combination of s-Video, since the upconversion is done by the component video interpolator, s-video is the next step down from it on my graph.

In all you will be hard pressed to find a difference between component 480p, and 480p that has been upconverted from s-video, even side by side with the two connections, there should be no image quality issues, but this is mainly used to view dvd quality.

I also use My HDTV to perform as a secondary monitor for my pc, so I play games on my tv, due to the fact that i have had my tv longer than my video card, My tv does not have DVI connections, so I use the s-video connection. comparing the two pictures, one from my monitor and one from the s-video, there ARE some Resolution issues, most of which I am sure I can change by finding a DVI to Component converter, then I am positive it will look amazing.

until then, I am qutie satisfied with the picture I get, but since my monitor is LCD and my tv is direct view, I don't get any of the trails so I guess It is the better of the 2 to play my games on, at least for now.
 
Sorry mate, I've read all your posts but I don't really get what you're on about. :dunce:

If you want to use 480p or even 1080i, you must use the component input of your HDTV (if it has one) or the VGA input using one of those VGA converters. So what's all that coax s-video composite and whatnot stuff you're talking of about? I mean technically I know what it is, but why is it of relevance here?

Cheers,
the Interceptor
 
Back