Head Tracking Confirmed for GT5!!!

• Thread starter turbomp301
  • 392 comments
This looks more like a effect of centrifugal force, as if the driver is pressed into the seat. You can see such effects in some PC simulations. But I am not sure, because it only happens once in this video. Also if he drives over a crest so he should have been lifted out of his seat, instead of pressed in it.

Quite old from the News page about 'HeadTracking Underwhelming' I know but relevent with my question below.

QUOTE: “but PS Eye is a simpler camera and Gran Turismo applies a digital interpretation to an analogue movement. A slight glance to the left or right is translated by the game after a considerable delay as a full 90-degree crane of your neck. Hopefully Polyphony can smooth things out before release.”

Now I am not very techy but I believe you can use any webcam on PS3 so would a better quality webcam give a better result than the PS Eye, or is tied in with the digital interpretation to analogue movement?

Wait a minute, if you're moving away from the screen sideways, you aren't looking at the screen and can barely see it. So if you can't see the screen, whats the point of even making it move? Because see, if the head movements have to be very little, it will be glitchy, and if too much you cant see the screen at all....

Shouldn't be glitchy at all actually, trackir has been using the same tech for almost 10years now. I've been using one for il2, gtr2, fsx and othergames for a very long time. BasicLly you simply tilt your head a few degrees left or right and the game should make your in-game head turn tge same. Howerver, i find it rather stranfe that PD hasnt simply tried to strike a deal with trackir directly... Or perhaps its sony again, trying to reinvent the wheel and dominate the world... Anyhow, check out trackir, its a very simple yet very cool tech.

Ok first this:

PS EYE specifications:
- 4 channel audio input:16 bits/channel, 48kHz, SNR 90db
- 56º or 75º Field of View zoom lens
- 2.1 F-stop, <1% distortion, fixed focus (25cm to 8 at 75º FOV)
- 640 x 480 at 60 frames/second
- 320 x 240 at 120 frames/second
- USB.0 high-speed data transfer
- Uncompressed video or optional JPEG compression

It's one of the better cameras for tracking purposes. The delay is really low when using it for headtracking, 34 ms. I use one of my PS Eye for headtracking in rFactor. I got the info from the ISIforums thanks to the user Zild1221

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/104-Free-Face-Tracking

If you have a PC and want to test it. It should support any TrackIR enabled software. My point is that I think that the tracking will be as snappy and good as it is on a PC.

looks pretty sweet. nice feature to have. especially for those that like the cockpit view. i like the bonnet/chase views but i will try it out since i already have the eye. it can only be used on premium cars anyways. but if gt is similar to your title, i can see it adding a whole different experience for driving wheel equipped people which means you can keep your eyes on the road.

Nice knowing that it does track your whole head in 3D space so you can move your head up and down and probably a little bit left and right, as well as swinging the view round. I'm also impressed at how smooth it looks in the couple of more recent vids I've seen. Will make cockpit view pretty awesome.

For those annoyed it won't be used in bumper cam view, think about it, it wouldn't work very well since you have no reference point on screen (you cannot see any part of the car), therefore I think it would simply be too confusing and would totally mess up your awareness of what direction you're steering in/what direction the car is actually moving in/what direction your head is pointing. All of this is resolved in the cockpit view simply because you know, you're IN the cockpit and can maintain your awareness of how the car is moving since you can see it, no matter where you're looking at, independently.

Hope that makes sense!

Might be a silly question, but do you need a 3d tv to do this? Sorry, i did not search the whole thread, and if its in there somewhere, I appoligize.

I just bought my pseye from amazon, and curious if I have to buy a 3d tv now. Just wondering if i jumped the gun on this.

Sorry for the newb question.

Might be a silly question, but do you need a 3d tv to do this? Sorry, i did not search the whole thread, and if its in there somewhere, I appoligize.

I just bought my pseye from amazon, and curious if I have to buy a 3d tv now. Just wondering if i jumped the gun on this.

Sorry for the newb question.

Don't worry, a PS-Eye is enough, you don't need a 3D TV for headtracking.:)

Wait a minute, if you're moving away from the screen sideways, you aren't looking at the screen and can barely see it. So if you can't see the screen, whats the point of even making it move? Because see, if the head movements have to be very little, it will be glitchy, and if too much you cant see the screen at all....

That's exactly what I'm thinking...

For those annoyed it won't be used in bumper cam view, think about it, it wouldn't work very well since you have no reference point on screen (you cannot see any part of the car), therefore I think it would simply be too confusing and would totally mess up your awareness of what direction you're steering in/what direction the car is actually moving in/what direction your head is pointing. All of this is resolved in the cockpit view simply because you know, you're IN the cockpit and can maintain your awareness of how the car is moving since you can see it, no matter where you're looking at, independently.

I'm a little sceptical about that. I'm a bumper view guy. I need to try it before buying it. Hope the cockpit view will be better that GT5 prologue.

I don't understand why they would support the PS eye only for acarde mode. The programming is already there, so it should have been able to work in career and online. I wasn't wanting it for the novelty. I wanted it to more easily facilitate using the left mirror and rear view mirror in cockpit view, as well as looking for cars to the left and right, better cornering, etc. I'm also using the wheel (DFGT) so I'm not sure I can even look left/right. Hopefully I can at least map those.

And yes, I do not have the PS eye yet. I was planning on getting one, but know I am seriously having doubts. This is disappointing.

Shouldn't be glitchy at all actually, trackir has been using the same tech for almost 10years now. I've been using one for il2, gtr2, fsx and othergames for a very long time. BasicLly you simply tilt your head a few degrees left or right and the game should make your in-game head turn tge same. Howerver, i find it rather stranfe that PD hasnt simply tried to strike a deal with trackir directly... Or perhaps its sony again, trying to reinvent the wheel and dominate the world... Anyhow, check out trackir, its a very simple yet very cool tech.

hear! hear!
trackir for pc works very well

Well I can't seem to get mine to work in Arcade. If I turn my head the screen does not move. I have it set at the bottom of my tv about 4 feet from my head so I don't know what the problem is does the room have to be bright or does it matter?

Im thinking about picking up a PSeye camera.

But i have a few questions before i do it. Im sorry if it has already been answered, dident read all 20 pages, and couldent seem to find any anwers from searching.

I hope to get some answer from people who really have the camera and not just some hear say from people who havent tryed it out them self.

1. Is it true it only works in Arcade mode ?

2. I sit about 3.5 meters away from my TV. Will i be able to use the camera even if i dont sit right in front of my TV ?

3. Has anyone found a good way of mounting the camera to a wheelstandpro setup ?

4. How acurate is it, is it sort of glitchy and buggy, or do you feel its reliable ?

5. Is there anything else i should know before i eventually buy it ?

Back