Hello, request for Project CARS reaching gold status to be put on news.

• Thread starter Fat Tyre
  • 45 comments
its the best example of "news-worthy", good work
From all I can see is you are trying to argue just for the sake of arguing, and you keep getting corrected by the people that actually make the news articles. So unless you can give an example of what should be featured in an article, you should just quit while you are behind. (ex. Was there something that was a big deal recently in drive club, since you appreciate it so much?)

PCars and Assetto Corsa look really nice and I cannot wait until I can afford to try them out by the way. :)

Was there something that was a big deal recently in drive club, since you appreciate it so much?

DC did have a car pack come out over the last week, unfortunately with a lot going on we were not able to get a story up about it.

Its a situation in which someone who is not aware of the work involved in getting good content to the front page (I myself have only just started helping - I've been on the staff for years and I didn't appreciate how much was involved), nor aware of what may be being planned in regard to news coverage.

Safe to say that we are doing all we can to expand the coverage, but a story still has to be worth the time and effort to get it to the front page, and not everything will. @Jordan has a very unenviable task in that regard and unfortunately we will never please all of the people all of the time.

I think T-12's write ups are great, and would personally like to see individual articles about DriveClub, Forza, Assetto Corsa, and etc. on the news page, instead of crammed together and hidden away in the Community Spotlight. Or atleast have both, and make the Community Spotlight sort of like a recap of articles and happenings within the community and forums that condenses them (which is what it already does. actually). I understand now, however, why it is that the other games don't receive as much coverage. There needs to be someone dedicated to doing it, and currently, the staff is spread too thin to take up the task/s.

You (and all the people on the other side of the aisle, who have been begging for editorial coverage of more games) are seemingly ignorant of the amount of effort that it takes to maintain the news blog. Do you think we just waive our hands and watch as beautifully-formatted, well-researched, well-written, typo-free, and up-to-the-minute, current articles magically appear on the blog for you to read?

That's not what happens. It takes a lot of work to stay on top of the news, decide what and when to post it, and then actually put together an article worthy for GTPlanet's home page. It's plenty of a burden just to stay on top of Gran Turismo news; providing detailed coverage of even one more game requires a massive, long-term commitment in time, resources, and money. You can't just add more writers, either - finding, training, and organizing all of them is another project on its own, and with ad-blocking software depriving the site of more revenue than ever before, the economics of hiring professionals gets even more daunting.

Sure, I'd love to be able to cover every racing game with the ferocious attention to detail that we do for the GT series, and we may get there some day, but real people spend real time to make GTPlanet happen - it doesn't run on magic.

Sold. 👍

Subscription renewed.

:cheers:

Harry. ;)

You (and all the people on the other side of the aisle, who have been begging for editorial coverage of more games) are seemingly ignorant of the amount of effort that it takes to maintain the news blog. Do you think we just waive our hands and watch as beautifully-formatted, well-researched, well-written, typo-free, and up-to-the-minute, current articles magically appear on the blog for you to read?

That's not what happens. It takes a lot of work to stay on top of the news, decide what and when to post it, and then actually put together an article worthy for GTPlanet's home page. It's plenty of a burden just to stay on top of Gran Turismo news; providing detailed coverage of even one more game requires a massive, long-term commitment in time, resources, and money. You can't just add more writers, either - finding, training, and organizing all of them is another project on its own, and with ad-blocking software depriving the site of more revenue than ever before, the economics of hiring professionals gets even more daunting.

Sure, I'd love to be able to cover every racing game with the ferocious attention to detail that we do for the GT series, and we may get there some day, but real people spend real time to make GTPlanet happen - it doesn't run on magic.
As someone who has worked and done this as described above, Jordan is spot on.

In my humble opinion, GTPlanet should just be a GT focused site in terms of its news page. The announcement of another game release once every blue moon is OK, but info like patches/updates/DLCs should be kept to the weekly Community Spotlights. For me GTPlanet is the prime source of reliable and validated info of all things Gran Turismo (even more so than the actual GT site), and it should stay that way. If it starts giving prominent attention to other games it sort of "cheapens" the news site and makes it feel like any other gaming site out there (e.g. VirtualR, Team VVV, etc). By restricting coverage of other games to weekly Spotlights you can still maintain the breadth of info while keeping the GTPlanet exclusivity.

But really, it's all up to Jordan and his amazing crew. In the end you guys have always done a fantastic work, no matter what the content is and it's always a pleasure to read your news articles :) 👍

In my humble opinion, GTPlanet should just be a GT focused site in terms of its news page. The announcement of another game release once every blue moon is OK, but info like patches/updates/DLCs should be kept to the weekly Community Spotlights. For me GTPlanet is the prime source of reliable and validated info of all things Gran Turismo (even more so than the actual GT site), and it should stay that way. If it starts giving prominent attention to other games it sort of "cheapens" the news site and makes it feel like any other gaming site out there (e.g. VirtualR, Team VVV, etc). By restricting coverage of other games to weekly Spotlights you can still maintain the breadth of info while keeping the GTPlanet exclusivity.

But really, it's all up to Jordan and his amazing crew. In the end you guys have always done a fantastic work, no matter what the content is and it's always a pleasure to read your news articles :) 👍
GT is generating a lot less interest than before, and a big percentage of GTP users is already focusing on other racing games. It's wise to please them too by throwing in news articles about said games. Times are changing and you got to roll with it.

Consider the following points for reference.

• There is no news regarding GT6 outside of the Vision GT program and this lack of development has really turned people away from the game, and perhaps rightfully so depending on your viewpoint. You won't find too many people supportive of a game that's stagnant in its own ways.
  • Remove every non-GT related news piece and what are you left with? I haven't done the math myself, but I'd be willing to bet there wouldn't be enough to cover one month.
  • The community here is in no way, shape, or form as partisan to Gran Turismo as they once were. There are other games that offer as much if not more than GT does and these games are garnering a lot of traffic to the website, so it would almost be a criminal act to ignore those games.
  • Gran Turismo is, and always will be the first priority here.
  • Too many people (not referencing you in particular) are treating this as if it's going to have an adverse effect on how they read the news themselves when in fact it doesn't; going onto an article just to say "I remember when GTPlanet did this or that" is about as obnoxiously ignorant as it gets. Expansion, especially in this situation, benefits everyone in the long term.
  • What would restricting coverage achieve? The Community Spotlight is great for picking up slack that couldn't otherwise be covered by itself for any number of reasons, but it isn't the solution to a growing problem: people are interested in more than what GT currently offers.

Found that the last couple of years the news section was more about GT academy than anything else, as that was the only GT related place you could still find or create an article about to be used as a filler. At least through covering other games the news focuses on our hobbies again.

Fair enough, point taken from everyone 👍 I can see for myself also that GT isn't taking up most of my gaming time anymore. Diversifying is good. It's just that being here for almost 10 years it's a bit jarring to see the News page having more non-GT than GT news. Feels like an invasion of some sort :P But as long as the quality of articles are being kept to the same high standard and GT news isn't thrown by the wayside, I'll just learn to get used to it.

Stunning or perhaps expected news from Reiza.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/interview-reiza-studios-unveils-its-crowdfunding-plans.107722/

Crowdfunding is certainly a valuable path, and actually something we are just about to experiment to try raise additional funds to continue developing GSCE further.

Looks like Reiza is considering moving ahead with crowdfunding for it's Game Stock Car and Formula Truck franchises, and although it's not mentioned, given the cross platform success of PCars as a pure sim, they might be exploring porting over to console. I have only played the demo of the game but it's something I'll be buying in the near future when I have more time for gaming and I'll be down with crowdfunding, as I'm sure many other GTP members will as well.

Such exciting times in sim racing, I really hope this gets a news item as well. It's great news for everyone.

Now that is a crowdfunding attempt I can get behind 👍 GSCE and FTruck might use a dated engine, but it's the best bang for your buck sim out of them all (especially if you consider it's moddable). Reiza is also a top notch developer that doesn't compromise quality and doesn't gouge customer's wallets out. They really deserve to be a lot more known.

Link to funding page with all other info and perks:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/reiza-simracing-bonanza#/story

V8 Supercars (+ Ute look alike), F1 V10, Rallycross and Trophy Trucks? Hell yes! :drool:

Now that is a crowdfunding attempt I can get behind 👍 GSCE and FTruck might use a dated engine, but it's the best bang for your buck sim out of them all (especially if you consider it's moddable). Reiza is also a top notch developer that doesn't compromise quality and doesn't gouge customer's wallets out. They really deserve to be a lot more known.

Link to funding page with all other info and perks:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/reiza-simracing-bonanza#/story

V8 Supercars (+ Ute look alike), F1 V10, Rallycross and Trophy Trucks? Hell yes! :drool:

Thanks for the link, I didn't even realize this was up and running. I'm a little confused by the funding target though. $US78,000? Seems a little on the low side.."little" meaning an almost insignificant amount of money.

Thanks for the link, I didn't even realize this was up and running. I'm a little confused by the funding target though. $US78,000? Seems a little on the low side.."little" meaning an almost insignificant amount of money.

Now that you mention it, it does seem to be a little on the low side. But considering they already have the game engine up and running, and they are basically just modding a 10 year old game at this point, I think it's quite reasonable. I see it more like public DLC funding than an actual new game kickstarter.

Last edited:
Back