Here's Forza Horizon 4 at 8K Resolution, on the New Nvidia RTX 3090

Thats an interesting tech experiment, but not much more. 8K gaming wont be possible in games like these on PS5/XSX and i dont think its a good idea to promote these consoles in such a way. There is more than enough room for improvements in other areas, pushing 8K gaming at this time is rather pointless.

Can we get 4k games sorted at easily 60fps upwards for a lot more people to use before we start going down the 8k rabbit hole. :rolleyes:

You see posts here with people saying they don't have 4k screens/TV's, (and seemingly not interested in one :boggled:) so how many actually have an 8k TV (other than YouTubers, who may have been given a screen to show off this card :rolleyes: :banghead:) to add to the £1.5k graphics card to show what little content is there.

Gamers Nexus has a very interesting vid about how this 3090 card should maybe not have been marketed as a gaming card for the performance versus price ratio he has tested.

I thought the Marques Brownlee and Linus Tech Tips vids on using this card for 8k gaming were entertaining, but this card, added to the TV used, (have you seen the price of the TV's they used! :eek:) is way beyond what even some people will get anywhere near to using for many years, imho, seeing as 4k is not ubiquitous. And I have doubts that 8k will actually be a 'thing'. Games may only be the option for 8k content, and if the streaming services don't get behind it, I'm not sure that would be a large enough user base to to grow an 8k market. Why stream 8k (if you have the internet connection to do it) when 4k looks great! :boggled:

Maybe 8k TV prices will come down as 4k has, but I can't see many buying 8k for that to happen in the same way. I think you need a very large TV to get/see the benefit of 8k, (plus content of course ;)) and most people will have got the size of TV they are happy with.

Again, get 4k sorted. ;)

It won't be holding 60fps or close to it for a true 8k, that's why the chart here has "so-called-8k" in the title:

Personally I'd rather have proper 4k on a 4k screen at 120hz with full AA than a pseudo-8k that can't even hold 60fps. Even a fairly modest PC can hold 60fps for FH4 in 4k and it looks outstanding on a 4k screen. 4k screens that can do 120hz or higher are still very expensive, so buying the combination of a GPU and monitor that can do even 4k/120 will be out of reach of most people for some time yet. Talk of being able to usefully game at 8k right now is mainly marketing.

I’d like to see Gran Turismo running in 8k resolution. Unfortunately outside of Sony events that isn’t happening for the foreseeable future.

I also agree with what people seem to think about FH4 in 8K. The game just has weird shaders and plasticky models that don’t do the 3090 justice.

I've never seen a display running at 8k. Is it really a noticeable difference from 4k? Truth be told, I don't know if I for sure can distinguish 1080p from 4k....I'd much rather see more robust implementations of RT and better geometry than resolution behind 4k.

I’d like to see Gran Turismo running in 8k resolution. Unfortunately outside of Sony events that isn’t happening for the foreseeable future.

I also agree with what people seem to think about FH4 in 8K. The game just has weird shaders and plasticky models that don’t do the 3090 justice.

https://www.gtplanet.net/stunning-gran-turismo-8k-120fps-footage-revealed-at-industry-event/

:)

Edit: Didn't see the "Sony events" thing until after I'd posted the link. D'OH!

I've never seen a display running at 8k. Is it really a noticeable difference from 4k? Truth be told, I don't know if I for sure can distinguish 1080p from 4k....I'd much rather see more robust implementations of RT and better geometry than resolution behind 4k.
I switch between 1080p and 4K all the time on Sky Q and if you can't see a marked improvement in picture quality I suggest you get your eyes checked out.

I switch between 1080p and 4K all the time on Sky Q and if you can't see a marked improvement in picture quality I suggest you get your eyes checked out.

Actually, now that you say it...I only have an XB1S which means I'm not seeing true 4k. I guess I'll have to wait for a PS5 to get 4K on my TV.

Can we get 4k games sorted at easily 60fps upwards for a lot more people to use before we start going down the 8k rabbit hole. :rolleyes:

Technology never waits for consumer trends to catch up. Ever. It's innovate and move on to the next thing. Standardization comes with time, but if you waste time waiting for that to happen everything falls behind as a result.

You see posts here with people saying they don't have 4k screens/TV's, (and seemingly not interested in one :boggled:) so how many actually have an 8k TV (other than YouTubers, who may have been given a screen to show off this card :rolleyes: :banghead:) to add to the £1.5k graphics card to show what little content is there.

I can't find an exact percentage for 4K penetration, but it's becoming the new standard. Not will be "soon enough", it is becoming the new standard. 4K TVs are cheaper than they were (as is the case with everything in technology). For some it's the same thing that occurred during the initial introduction wave of the "HD era", people saying they couldn't see a difference between it and 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. It's the same thing with framerates, you can't see past 60fps — no, that wasn't a meme, people were deadly serious about it.

If I can see a night and day difference between 1080p and 1440p, that's 1.6 million+ more pixels than 1080p, you better believe there's an even more obvious difference — by a substantial magnitude, at that — between 1080p and 2160p, That's 6.2 million+ more pixels.

Content on the other hand is a legitimate concern, and while there's no doubt in my mind that there's content out mastered in 8K (hell, probably even 12K) it needs a global medium to help facilitate its growth, i.e. gaming.

I can't find an exact percentage for 4K penetration, but it's becoming the new standard. Not will be "soon enough", it is becoming the new standard. 4K TVs are cheaper than they were (as is the case with everything in technology).
This is part of why I think the XSS is a badly judged console. MS has created a console for people who don't have 4K screens, which is a number that is diminishing rapidly - and likely a minority by the time FM8 launches - especially as people have been waiting to buy 4K screens to go with their XSX/PS5 this year. Come 2022, with its "Xbox One S enhanced" XB1 titles and the pared back XSX titles (to run on its smaller and slower RAM), it's going to look ancient.

Technology never waits for consumer trends to catch up. Ever. It's innovate and move on to the next thing. Standardization comes with time, but if you waste time waiting for that to happen everything falls behind as a result.
I agree, technology never waits, but it is getting harder to justify advances to consumers. When things are 'good enough', or good enough is easy to get, then the market will slow no matter what you put in front of people. We are at that point in music and photography. Mp3 is not as good as CD quality, but is easier to get, and good enough. The cameras in phones are good enough for most people, almost always on hand, so much so that the photography market is in contraction, and because of the plateau in the technology, it is video functions being use to attract people to cameras. For some, 1080 is good enough, for most 4k will be good enough if it isn't already. 8k, would need a compelling reason to not only overcome the cost of the screen, but also the increased internet bandwidth, from availability to cost to deliver content. What content there would be for quite awhile.

I can't find an exact percentage for 4K penetration, but it's becoming the new standard. Not will be "soon enough", it is becoming the new standard. 4K TVs are cheaper than they were (as is the case with everything in technology). For some it's the same thing that occurred during the initial introduction wave of the "HD era", people saying they couldn't see a difference between it and 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. It's the same thing with framerates, you can't see past 60fps — no, that wasn't a meme, people were deadly serious about it.

If I can see a night and day difference between 1080p and 1440p, that's 1.6 million+ more pixels than 1080p, you better believe there's an even more obvious difference — by a substantial magnitude, at that — between 1080p and 2160p, That's 6.2 million+ more pixels.
If you can see a night and day different between 1080p and 1440p, then good for you. I can sometimes see a difference in a good 1080p video and a 4k video, and that is on quite a big screen from not far away.

Content on the other hand is a legitimate concern, and while there's no doubt in my mind that there's content out mastered in 8K (hell, probably even 12K) it needs a global medium to help facilitate its growth, i.e. gaming.
Gaming may be the key to 8k, but not now, and not this generation of cards/consoles. And especially when the TV's showing the few games just barely 8k, upscaled from 4k, or even 1440p, are shown of TV's that are 10's of thousand of $, £ or whatever.

The 8k TV proliferation is more likely to come from screen manufacturers moving to only produce 8k screens, as they have mostly done for 4k now. If all you can buy is 4k, or at least there is no benefit to a 1080 TV if the prices are close to being the same, them most will get 4k. To do that again with 8k in a reasonable time period will be difficult, as I don't think there will be the rush to 8k as there was for 4k, but especially 1080p.

At one point I wanted a large LCD TV, so I got a 42" 1080 TV *from a 42" CRT). Then I wanted a larger TV with a higher resolution, and I was in a good financial position to do so, so I have a 55" 4k. I don't want bigger, and I doubt I would see a huge difference with 8k, but I am prepared to be proved wrong, but this TV may see me out. And if for any reason I need to replace, it would not be a larger screen, and unless 8k is a similar price to a good 4k now, it wouldn't be extra spent to get 8k. Like music and photography, I think for most people 4k is 'good enough'.

Like I said in my original post, get 4k content working for most people (and at higher frame rates for gamers), and then show what 8k can do.

Walk into a large tv retailer and I'll wager that the 8K displays have a crowd of people fixated.That's cause it takes 7+terabytes/hour @ 8K to keep these things fed.
Remember a very similar conversation when 4k and the 1080ti hit town.

As of Aug 2020, Steam data has 2% of players using 4k, the most popular res is still 1080p at 65%:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

I guess it's not too surprising considering most of the top games on Steam aren't really known for super fancy graphics or are just simply older.

https://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Granted having said that, I think @Terronium-12 was talking about TV's in general more than PC gaming specifically. It's pretty much to the point now where a 4K TV costs basically the same as one that tops out at 1080P (possibly even cheaper!).

I was in the market for a new TV earlier this year - something in the 55"-58" range. All I could find were 4K, and most were priced between $325 and $595. Sure, there were some $1000+, but they were outliers. I spent less than $400 and am very pleased with the advancement in picture quality.

You'd be hard pressed these days looking for a new 1080p TV in this size range. If one thing became abundantly clear, it was that 4K is the current "standard".

This is part of why I think the XSS is a badly judged console. MS has created a console for people who don't have 4K screens, which is a number that is diminishing rapidly - and likely a minority by the time FM8 launches - especially as people have been waiting to buy 4K screens to go with their XSX/PS5 this year. Come 2022, with its "Xbox One S enhanced" XB1 titles and the pared back XSX titles (to run on its smaller and slower RAM), it's going to look ancient.
You are forgetting about a huge portion of players that will get the XSS, casuals. Back in 2017 when I bought the OneS I was just looking for a way to play FH3. I didn't care about the specs. I still don't today. Ok, I went for XSX this time, because of the disc drive not the 4K. Not all care about 4K that much. And there are other reasons too. Compact size. As a seaman I could easily carry it with me on the ship, like I did with PS2 slim in the early 2000 for example. And the price. If I'm not going to spend 1000h playing games I will always go for the cheapest option.

Its not popular resolution for monitors(to big for 27'') and most of steam userbase using monitors. In TV segment percentage is much higher.
Yep, 4k is not popular amongst games players yet the emphasis from Nvidia is 8k gaming! :eek: I was surprised that the numbers for 4k on Steam were so low.
Its not popular resolution for monitors(to big for 27'') and most of steam userbase using monitors. In TV segment percentage is much higher.
Which makes the the 8k marketing even more anachronistic. 8k seems a generation or two too soon. With regards to monitors, it is no surprise then that both Marques Brownlee and Linus Sebastian were showing off the 8k on huge TV's. 8k, when hardly anyone is playing on 4k. :rolleyes:

Marques Brownlee was not getting a constant 60fps on the Forza game he played too. 4k and high fps should have been the focus imho.

Sony and Microsoft both released statements saying 8k was possible on consoles early on which imo pushed Nvidia into spending $$$$ giving youtubers the equipment and script to show said capability of the 3000 range.
I've had a 4K tv for 3 years now since I got a PS pro and wonder why only Steam is used as a metric when console gamers mainly use their tv's and how many people these days have 1080 tv's?
We got consoles putting out 12 TFLOP's and overclocked cards passing 50 so 8k is here now.

Last edited:
Back