Here's the result of poor A+B spec events design...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bluez_Freak
  • 66 comments
  • 5,002 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
308
http://www.videogamer.com/news/gt5_isnt_a_game_claims_shift_2_producer.html

Shift producers bullying GT5 as not being a game.

As much as I hate this it is poor a-spec design and the "limitless" decision for all events, (making GT5's competitive racing a rare thing) generating these kinds of statement from competitors.

Come on PD, make the races FUN..
the awesome cars are there, the physics are there... make it challenging like some of the special events and the licenses are... or the first seasonals who had very strict limitations were so much fun...
 
Do the Shift people really have to be bullies to put their games on notice?

Why can't they make a good game, and have the game speak for itself...
 
Didn't the Shift people talk smack about how the WRC damage isn't realistic when PD put that Tokyo demo out?
 
He's right to an extent, but I think GT5 is still fun. The races in A-Spec can be made challenging yourself, you don't need to use an overpowered car to dominate. What A-Spec could improve on is the variety and number of events, but more importantly the XP given for the races.

Grinding is a pain, but what GT5 does well as 'the real driving simulator' is that you have to drive a lot to get better, as you do in real life. You don't become a good race driver in real life without putting the hours of practice in, and I think GT5 simulates that well, as you have to do a certain number of races to advance a level.

However, GT5 is just a game. What would make it better if you could use almost every car in Arcade mode. That way, if people just want to have fun with any car they can, whereas those looking for a more real racing driver experience can stick to GT5.

This is all opinion, but may be factual. I don't know.
 
That's just marketing, GT5 will be a target no matter what.
 
Lol the topic title reminds me of my last Physics Lab.

C=A+B

If anyone knows vectors, you know what I'm talking about. :)
 
Shift has a surplus F
 
That's just marketing, GT5 will be a target no matter what.

No doubt.
But the guy surely knows the game's main weak point and he hits it hard. I'm just saying it's so obvious to all people :nervous:
 
No doubt.
But the guy surely knows the game's main weak point and he hits it hard. I'm just saying it's so obvious to all people :nervous:

Meh, I'm sure Kaz won't be too bothered by it.

Which is bad in a way, because that won't drive him to make the game better...
 
Meh, I'm sure Kaz won't be too bothered by it.

Which is bad in a way, because that won't drive him to make the game better...

Kaz lives in his own "world". He has a certain perception of things and does not bother what's happening around the gaming world.

Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes it's not.

If just a little more care had been given to the "entry requirements" of the A+B spec races would be much more fun.

Yes you can limit things yourself, but trying to find the sweet-spot of "difficult-but-doable" can be frustrating and repetitive...
 
ummm.... there's a game I thought this was online only?
 
I have NFS:Shift (1) on the PC and I can't stand it. The British dude that tells you what to do gets old after about 2 races. The menu system is impossible to navigate. The cockpit mode is much more realistic than in GT5 but the AI opponents are ridiculous. I know the AI in GT5 isn't anything to write home about but at least they are realistic. Shift AI racers slow down when you screw up and speed up when you do. So with that in mind, NFS does a good job making "Games" where anyone can win...while GT5 is best when thought of as a "Simulator". There isn't much of a guided career mode but that just means it doesn't get in your way when you want to get creative car choices and races.
 
I met the guy who made this comment when i previewed Shift prior to its release. I don't think he liked it when I mentioned Need For Speed Shift's console control schemes didn't cater very well for people who used manual gears. Lets hope Shift 2 lets you config your own controls on console this time eh Jesse?

GT has its own way of doing things as does NFS, no need to snipe ;)
 
Yesterday I played the supercar japanese GT event in the extreme A-Spec mode, Lap 1 and I´m already on #1... All cars same hp, same weight... Last 3 laps, I lost the control over my car, the car behind me overtakes and is 17 seconds in front of me. Last lap I´m back on #1...

That is not fun! That is totaly horrible game design... Really the worst and absolutely not challenging game since GT1,2,3 and 4... Only the special events are nice and the first 2 seasonal events (And only because you start on #12 and must overtake the others and not to fight for #1)... the rest is BS...
 
As said in the article, things are subjective, just like Shift's producer's idea of fun.
I find GT5 fun, so why is he trying to tell me that I find GT5 not fun.
Just because it may or may not have a scientific approach to racing, doesn't mean it's not fun.
So racing in real life is not fun because it's too scientific in terms of physics?
 
There are 2 things I would trade for half of the circuits and half of the GT5 cars:

1. SPA
(if this was in GT5 it would probably be the only track to play for me)

2. Porsches
(wouldn't you trade so much crap of GT5's cars for 3-4 new porsches??)

I envy Shift for these 2 things. If they get the physics closer to GT5 I will be really torn...
 
I had the first shift and I put it on ebay within a couple of days of buying it. I just didn't find it interesting at all so I am a bit sceptical about shift 2. On the other hand I think GT5 is a very fun game hence why it hasn't been out of my ps3 for 2 months. Forza 2 was a far better game than shift too so they have a long way to go before they can compete with either of them imo.
 
It's all marketing. They're just trying to create some excitement for their game. Which, if the physics are the same as the last one, I don't care how cool it is I will be skipping it.

There are 2 things I would trade for half of the circuits and half of the GT5 cars:

1. SPA
(if this was in GT5 it would probably be the only track to play for me)

2. Porsches
(wouldn't you trade so much crap of GT5's cars for 3-4 new porsches??)

I envy Shift for these 2 things. If they get the physics closer to GT5 I will be really torn...

I really don't see why people want that track so much. I've driven on it in other games and it's really not that exciting to me.

And the Porsche's will stay in EA games as long as they have the license to use them...
 
nfs is just pure crap tbh you can drive ****** for 70% of the race and then push hard on the last couple of kms then win the thing

in hot pursuit it was even necessary to drive that way. when the cops are chasing you just hang back since they only go after the no1 - no3 and then u just drive away on the last 3k. and if you drove in 1st place from the start your car wouldn't even make it to the finnish.

so yea gt5 isn't perfect but i've spend way more time in it than on all of the nfs games put together
 
Have to agree, psychics are great in gt5 but as a game it stinks. And the tuning options are just lame, plus the damage ? why bother if cant get the thing done correctly.
 
I was watching videos of shift2 and they reminded me of the shortcomings shift1, not a good thing.

They still have some of those horrible body kits, eww.
 
Yesterday I played the supercar japanese GT event in the extreme A-Spec mode, Lap 1 and I´m already on #1... All cars same hp, same weight... Last 3 laps, I lost the control over my car, the car behind me overtakes and is 17 seconds in front of me. Last lap I´m back on #1...

That is not fun! That is totaly horrible game design... Really the worst and absolutely not challenging game since GT1,2,3 and 4... Only the special events are nice and the first 2 seasonal events (And only because you start on #12 and must overtake the others and not to fight for #1)... the rest is BS...

Wow you had a spin which lost you more than 17 secs?

Do what i do, use underpowered cars and see what you can get away with:




Great fun :)
I think what GT is missing is an AI difficulty selector
 
Must be one of the must ridiculous articles I have read, it's a completly joke to be honest.

Don't tell me what's fun or not, bring me a game and let me decide for myself.

I bought Shift 1 and thought the game was decent. But it's not a simulator and why are you getting points by hitting other cars and play stupidly aggresive. It's obvious the producer behind Shift likes the element of arcade racing. Personlly I hate when they mix arcade and simulation. Simulation is funny, arcade is funny but together it becomes a mess if you ask me.

In the end, Shift was more frustrating than fun.

Yes, I know that this is their marketing strategy, but a silly one. It's easy to complain about others and brag about your own product when no one have seen it. Show me Shift 2 and prove me that Shift is better. Then I can take you serious.
 
Yesterday I played the supercar japanese GT event in the extreme A-Spec mode, Lap 1 and I´m already on #1... All cars same hp, same weight... Last 3 laps, I lost the control over my car, the car behind me overtakes and is 17 seconds in front of me. Last lap I´m back on #1...

That is not fun! That is totaly horrible game design... Really the worst and absolutely not challenging game since GT1,2,3 and 4... Only the special events are nice and the first 2 seasonal events (And only because you start on #12 and must overtake the others and not to fight for #1)... the rest is BS...

Some threads are already out there complaining that the game is too hard, I think it's been set up for the majority to have fun, not for the fast folks like you. :) You may want to try handicapping your self with lower HP or lower level tires.

The game is allowing us to pick the right car for each race that would challenge us. That is a good thing.
 
I'm starting to dislike NFS, for one this rather bitter person who is thinking a game non of us have tried yet will be the best. And the fact NFS has ditched illegal street racing.
 
Shift is good for what it is, an arcade racer. How can they call themselves anything close to a sim when it is close to impossible to use wheel? I would love for GT to have Spa and Road America though. God I love driving on Road America.

I wish developers would just stop talking about other companies games and let their product speak for itself. As much talking as they do it shows they know they have an inferior product that will sell less.
 
Last edited:
Our game is better than another company's game of the same genre!

I'm confused, is this a new tactic in the video game industry? "Fun" is objective, and based on individual tastes. Many people have GT5 and have fun playing it, the opinion of one man doesn't make much difference.
 
I read the article and it seemed his only statement was that GT5 was not fun and NFS: Shift was... Thus no fun = not a game. What? How many games out there are so infuriatingly hard that you almost never have fun at all? What about games that are so easy that you pretty much can't lose? No challenge = no fun, right? Too much challenge = no fun, right? Bah! GT5 is neither of those, sure it fell short of a lot of people's expectations but that doesn't make it "not a real game"

I had tons of fun with GT5, I still do.

Any time one of EA's people opens their mouth, they lose a bit more of the little respect I have left for them.
 
Wow you had a spin which lost you more than 17 secs?

Do what i do, use underpowered cars and see what you can get away with:

Great fun :)
I think what GT is missing is an AI difficulty selector

Yeah I had 3 spins in 1 spin ;) And the AI kicked me out again as I was trying to come back on track...

In that event you can´t choose any other cars than the JGTC´s... On all other event I do it as you, I´ll choose an underpowered car...

Some threads are already out there complaining that the game is too hard, I think it's been set up for the majority to have fun, not for the fast folks like you. :) You may want to try handicapping your self with lower HP or lower level tires.

The game is allowing us to pick the right car for each race that would challenge us. That is a good thing.

I don´t say I´m fast ;)

In that event you can´t choose any other cars than the JGTC´s... On all other event I do it as you, I´ll choose an underpowered car...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back