Here's the result of poor A+B spec events design...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bluez_Freak
  • 66 comments
  • 5,002 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
GT5 is a DRIVING simulator.

Shift is a RACING simulator.

You want to drive around clinically, get GT5. Me, I want to RACE! I want it to SOUND like racing, I want it to LOOK like racing, I want it to FEEL like racing, and you know what? If the price I have to pay for that is a bit less accuracy of the driving physics, so be it!

I bought into the hype, pre-ordered GT5, and have yet to figure out WHY. I'm not playing it as much as I used to on Shift. Online is a mess, worse even than Shift. Only major gripes I had about Shift online was no lobby creator rules. No way to set damage on for everyone. Other than that, I've seen as much asinine behavior online in GT5 as I did in Shift. But it is MUCH easier to get a nice even match online with Shift, with no Friends bull... I see no reason why a random online game can't be decent, if the software helps set the conditions.

I hate GT5's AI. Sure, Shift was a bit gonzo, but GT5's are MUCH slower, don't care if you are there or not, and drive around like grannies! Just the basics of, enter a race with a souped up car in Shift, the AI soups up too... makes for MUCH easier even races. GT's AI is an afterthought. I don't think the game expects you to RACE, just drive around marveling at the scenery..!

Shift 2 has made some noise about bringing out a more GT5 like physics, and if it does, even if it doesn't get it dead on, it's going to be a more FUN game. And, the bottom line is, until you perhaps get to the ultimate pinnacle in racing, it is NEVER a job... People race cars IRL because it is FUN! If real racing became the pointless chore that GT5 often makes it, the sport would die out.

Fanboys exist for BOTH these games. I consider myself a fanboy for NEITHER. There was much that Shift needed to improve. Hopes are high that some of it will be. Going to be a LONG time before GT6 comes out, though. As badly as PD nerfed GT5, making it a shadow of GT4's gameplay, who is honestly going to bet that the slide won't continue.

If SMS take a serious crack at dialing in a better physics model, and better wheel implementation, Shift 2 is going to give even the more hardcore GT addicts a reason to migrate, and even small improvements will get me back into the franchise. Not sure I'll sell GT5 to buy it, but if it lives up to reasonable expectation, I might sell GT5 AFTER I've got Shift 2...

Never thought I'd say this, but PD better watch their backsides... They got 2 months to patch GT5 back to at least GT4's level. I'd start by making the AI more scalable, an event generator and another 200 A-Spec events. Gentlemen, start your engines!
 
Don't you people get a little bored with all this? Seriously GT series has never been about AI dogging you the entire race in a comparable car, as a matter of fact it was usually you trying your darnedest to win with a car that you tuned wrong most of the time. GT5 could easily be incredibly hard to win each and every race, all PD needs to do is to allow the AI to be as aggressive as they are with the really fast cars. The way the AI drives F1's is insane in this game, but for some reason PD throttles the AI to always keep you "in the mix". I say PD give us control over the AI difficulty during GT Mode, many races I would leave on the hardest setting, meaning the AI will mod their cars to match mine and drive the wheels off them to win. This is what GT5 should have, but if the AI was hard you would need a lot more strategy in order to win and you would need a lot more than 10 laps to pull off a win in similar vehicles, especially the Super GT and DTM and F1 races, you'd never win in 15 lap races without the fuel consumption and tire wear added to help you out smart the AI, even then the AI has such control over their cars that they are much better on tires than you can ever hope to be, you'd still end up losing, lol. NFS Shift is a nice game, but the AI is retarded and at times plain insane funny how after getting one car I all of a sudden became impossible to defeat, on the hardest setting the AI couldn't win and I start in the back of the pack most races, few you start near the middle, but it's all well and good. Can't have the game being too hard can we? Who cares? Enjoy the game how you like it, now back to online racing and collecting cars.
 
Didn't the Shift people talk smack about how the WRC damage isn't realistic when PD put that Tokyo demo out?

So you're saying the damage is realistic? Interesting.
 
With this being said, Shift sucked. I had it for 2 day's and the car hopping and straight cut gear sound made me get rid of it.

God forbid race cars sound like race cars..... Don't let your Gran Turismo experience fool you, race cars sound mean and loud.
 
No, but they surely hit GT5 where it really hurts...

I disagree.

Before reading the linked article I thought it was a shot on GT5's leveling system and the mindless grinding. He completely missed the shot. 👎

His comments worry me -- I totally enjoyed Shift 1 on PC barring some minor physics issues. Do not want if Shift 2 becomes more arcade because he wants it to be 'entertaining'.
 
God forbid race cars sound like race cars..... Don't let your Gran Turismo experience fool you, race cars sound mean and loud.

Every stock vehicle (racecar or not) had the straight cut gear sound. And every car hopped ridiculously.
 
Let's see. Two options:

1. Leave yet ANOTHER "GT5 versus SHIFT" debate cum "GT5 complaints" thread open... and a poorly titled one at that. One which cites a web article that doesn't mention even in passing the issues purported in the title... and let it fester for another few days.

2. Close it and get more hate mail.

-

Seriously boys. We have this:

OK can someone tell me how GT5 is better than NFS Shift or Grid?

And this:

Is anyone else disappointed with GT5?

And a dozen, very specific threads complaining about everything from the short A-Spec to the fiddly B-Spec to the low-resolution cars to glitches in general. Now, tell me... what reason do I have for leaving yet another general rant thread open?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back