Hey I'm New :3

  • Thread starter Thread starter PhoneticBD
  • 85 comments
  • 4,100 views
The community here is amazing on Internet standards. And normal standards. No trolls. No random spam. A few people that make you go lolwut?. God mods and admins. Explore. Also, use more than the gt5 fourm.

No wonder PhoneticBD and my school unblocked the site.

Hooray for :gtplanet: .
 
No wonder PhoneticBD and my school unblocked the site.

Hooray for :gtplanet: .

It is unlocked at my school too, but obviously cause we go to the same school haha

It's a shame that thread got locked. If laughter is the best medicine, that thread could have cured cancer.

Why did the thread get locked?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to :gtpflag: & GT5 & be careful, they're addictive! :lol:

For cornering, the driving line can be useful AT FIRST, to give you an IDEA how to apex corners. The braking zones are a load of codswallop, however. Once you have an idea on apexing, turn it off. It only serves to distract.

The golden rule on cornering is: 'Slow in, fast out', which should be self-explanatory. Also, Jackie Stewart once said: "Never get on the accelerator in a corner unless you're sure you won't have to lift off." (Or some such... lol)


Go read it :lol: the op kept arguing with mods, and Famine was calling it drag racing :lol:

Can't find it, post a link?
 
Last edited:
Get familiar with the tuning options for suspension, DSL, etc. Getting used to what all the settings do right off the bat will help you get better faster. The Tuning Forums here are super for getting the confusion straightened out. I wish I had learned more in previous releases of GT. I felt I needed to catch up when I finally started tuning after GT5 came out.
 
Hey i'm new, do you guys have any tips for me regarding GT5? I would appreciate some help from the community. :)

-Love Your New Best Friend <3 :3

Hello there, welcome to GTPlanet and I hope you like GT5 👍 .
 
Look up eminembestfan2!!!! Look at his I can accel faster than u thread. Hours of entertainment.

Did a search and nothing came up...got a link?

Which one because on youtube I saw this guy showing what lines to take and how fast...



Notice he kept at least the two outside wheels on the dark stuff? That's where the rubber is on the road and where all the grip is in GT5. There are some rare exceptions where you can really cut a corner and still be GTP legal and not on the dark stuff, but those are the exceptions, not the rule. Very important thing to remember if you want to go fast. Any time you carry too much speed into a corner, your run outside the rubber and lose grip, the downfall of most noobs. Slow down, stay in the rubber...speed will naturally follow.
 
Welcome to :gtpflag:

Myself, and some of the others posted some good info on another topic recently, feel free to check it out:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=273286

Keep in mind that some of the advice may not apply to you as you may wish to play the game differently than JJ.

You'll see a bit of discussion about some people wanting to play simulation style, meaning as close to real life as possible vs. arcade style which is not very realistic, but some people love just being able to drive for fun and not take it too seriously.

There's nothing wrong with either. It's your game, you should choose what you like to do with it. That's my opinion. :D
 
The Skip Barber Racing School technique is very helpful for understaning the physics of racing, you can see the GT1-GT3 manuals and other sources for more details on Skip Barber.

Also look up "traction circle" -- keep in mind that any tire is only capable of 100% traction, which must be distributed among 1-acceleration, 2-braking, and 3-turning. If any combination of these three forces creates a demand for grip beyond what the tire can deliver, the tire will skid and may result in loss of control. Tire skid (or slide) is only desirable in drifting or rally racing -- which are both controlled slides -- and slide should not be confused with "slip" or slip angle, which a different topic altogether.

Also, it may be helpful to remember the different driving dynamics inherent in the various drivetrains -- FF, FR and 4WD/AWD are typically nose-heavy (not always), while MR and RR are typically rear-heavy. When driving any particular car, keep in mind its drivetrain, grip, and power capabilities and drive accordingly. (I always have to remember these performance limitations when driving the TVR cars... they are very fast but just don't handle very well, so they are able to produce fast lap times when driven appropriately.)

***Power is nothing without control.***

Finally, the most important thing to remember is HAVE FUN! Hope this helps. :)
 
DGXR:

It might be more helpful if you told him where to find the info. He can learn much from it, but, especially with him being new to the game and to this forum, I highly doubt that he'll know how to locate it without a little guidance. :)
 
Yes it probably would be easier for the OP if I did the research for him. Right now I only have time to respond by saying what might help with his question. If he *really* wants to learn about this stuff, he will find a way and find the time to look for the information.
 
Yes it probably would be easier for the OP if I did the research for him. Right now I only have time to respond by saying what might help with his question. If he *really* wants to learn about this stuff, he will find a way and find the time to look for the information.

I think that I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was, you might want to tell him if he's looking for it on GT Planet, in a bookstore, by using Google, etc. That's what might be confusing for him.
 
Go read it :lol: the op kept arguing with mods, and Famine was calling it drag racing :lol:

Oh yeah lol

Welcome to :gtpflag: & GT5 & be careful, they're addictive! :lol:

For cornering, the driving line can be useful AT FIRST, to give you an IDEA how to apex corners. The braking zones are a load of codswallop, however. Once you have an idea on apexing, turn it off. It only serves to distract.

The golden rule on cornering is: 'Slow in, fast out', which should be self-explanatory. Also, Jackie Stewart once said: "Never get on the accelerator in a corner unless you're sure you won't have to lift off." (Or some such... lol)




Can't find it, post a link?

Ok I'll disable it thanks :)

Get familiar with the tuning options for suspension, DSL, etc. Getting used to what all the settings do right off the bat will help you get better faster. The Tuning Forums here are super for getting the confusion straightened out. I wish I had learned more in previous releases of GT. I felt I needed to catch up when I finally started tuning after GT5 came out.

Yeah ill go check out the tuning and get used to it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Seems you are getting used to the posting well.

With cornering I recommend using the best tyres to get used to cornering (Racing softs).
Hope to hear from you soon :).

Maybe it's just a difference of opinion, but personally I would say DO NOT DO THIS.

Racing softs will be quick no matter what, your car will always feel planted. If I were you, I'd start off in low powered cars with Comfort Hard tires; the fact that they have such little grip will make you learn how to drive fast to get around a corner and good technique. Then when you move onto racing softs, you can apply this and be much much faster than if you simply started with racing softs.

It might seem like a pointless struggle at first, but I promise you that it'll pay off in the long run. I really can't stress this enough. Learning these good habits now will help you throughout all of time. Also, as many have suggested, try and use as few driving aids as you can. I know it seems alot harder and slower at first, but once you learn how to use these, you will be much faster than if you still used them. Plus, I find the game much more fun by turning all the driving aids off.
 
Last edited:
Hello there, welcome to GTPlanet and I hope you like GT5 👍 .

Yeah I do thanks :D

Did a search and nothing came up...got a link?



Notice he kept at least the two outside wheels on the dark stuff? That's where the rubber is on the road and where all the grip is in GT5. There are some rare exceptions where you can really cut a corner and still be GTP legal and not on the dark stuff, but those are the exceptions, not the rule. Very important thing to remember if you want to go fast. Any time you carry too much speed into a corner, your run outside the rubber and lose grip, the downfall of most noobs. Slow down, stay in the rubber...speed will naturally follow.

Wow I had no idea lol ill definitely remember that :)

Maybe it's just a difference of opinion, but personally I would say DO NOT DO THIS.

Racing softs will be quick no matter what, your car will always feel planted. If I were you, I'd start off in low powered cars with Comfort Hard tires; the fact that they have such little grip will make you learn how to drive fast to get around a corner and good technique. Then when you move onto racing softs, you can apply this and be much much faster than if you simply started with racing softs.

It might seem like a pointless struggle at first, but I promise you that it'll pay off in the long run. I really can't stress this enough. Learning these good habits now will help you throughout all of time. Also, as many have suggested, try and use as few driving aids as you can. I know it seems alot harder and slower at first, but once you learn how to use these, you will be much faster than if you still used them. Plus, I find the game much more fun by turning all the driving aids off.

Oh ok I'll do that instead thanks :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also in the camp that feels, and this is an opinion, that using the driving aids and the Racing Soft tires, especially at the beginning of the game, will most likely teach a player how not to drive.

The Racing Soft tires give a lot of grip, which allows the player to drive without worrying too much about driving well. The assists compensate for mistakes that the player is making. Put those together and a player can win, sometimes easily, without driving very well.

It's possible to learn bad habits due to this and when a race or event comes along that allows neither sticky tires or assists, the player is then baffled and, almost always, blames the car. That player most likely never actually learned how to actually drive.

I don't know if I would actually go as far as to start out with Comfort Hards, the least sticky of all of the tires, but it might work to teach you good habits. Many of the Online Seasonal Events will be restricted to Comfort Softs, which feel very slippery to most players, mostly due to them being used to the super sticky Racing Softs.

The idea of starting out with less sticky tires, and no assists, at the beginning of the game is that you will be the one driving the car. The car will not be driving itself, or making up for errors. You, yourself, will be doing the work, and it's rewarding when you finally manage a win for the first time that seemed almost impossible when you first attempted it.

Once you get the hang of how to drive yourself, the rest of the game will not seem that difficult. In fact, it might seem easy to you. In other words, you won't feel like you're fighting the car, because you know what you can and can't do with it. The assists tend to make a person fight for control of it. (I hope that makes sense.)

It may seem odd to make things harder when you first start out, but in the long run, you'll be better off.

Another plus to that, is when you get into a race that allows for better tires, let's say an online race where everyone is using Racing Softs, you'll be able to push more out of the car than your opponents, because you know how to drive. :)
 
I'm also in the camp that feels, and this is an opinion, that using the driving aids and the Racing Soft tires, especially at the beginning of the game, will most likely teach a player how not to drive.

The Racing Soft tires give a lot of grip, which allows the player to drive without worrying too much about driving well. The assists compensate for mistakes that the player is making. Put those together and a player can win, sometimes easily, without driving very well.

It's possible to learn bad habits due to this and when a race or event comes along that allows neither sticky tires or assists, the player is then baffled and, almost always, blames the car. That player most likely never actually learned how to actually drive.

I don't know if I would actually go as far as to start out with Comfort Hards, the least sticky of all of the tires, but it might work to teach you good habits. Many of the Online Seasonal Events will be restricted to Comfort Softs, which feel very slippery to most players, mostly due to them being used to the super sticky Racing Softs.

The idea of starting out with less sticky tires, and no assists, at the beginning of the game is that you will be the one driving the car. The car will not be driving itself, or making up for errors. You, yourself, will be doing the work, and it's rewarding when you finally manage a win for the first time that seemed almost impossible when you first attempted it.

Once you get the hang of how to drive yourself, the rest of the game will not seem that difficult. In fact, it might seem easy to you. In other words, you won't feel like you're fighting the car, because you know what you can and can't do with it. The assists tend to make a person fight for control of it. (I hope that makes sense.)

It may seem odd to make things harder when you first start out, but in the long run, you'll be better off.

Another plus to that, is when you get into a race that allows for better tires, let's say an online race where everyone is using Racing Softs, you'll be able to push more out of the car than your opponents, because you know how to drive. :)

+1. Couldn't have said it better myself.
 
I almost forgot. If you see a Porsche (or RUF), DO NOT try to drive it as a beginner. Once you have become very familiar with keeping cars under control in situations where they're losing traction, you can start using them. The RUFs have a tendency to drive sideways when you want them in a straight line. A true driver's car! In case you're still skeptical, look up RUF CTR Yellowbird on YouTube and click on any of the videos that show it on the Nurburgring.
 
Welcome to :gtpflag:

Myself, and some of the others posted some good info on another topic recently, feel free to check it out:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=273286

Keep in mind that some of the advice may not apply to you as you may wish to play the game differently than JJ.

You'll see a bit of discussion about some people wanting to play simulation style, meaning as close to real life as possible vs. arcade style which is not very realistic, but some people love just being able to drive for fun and not take it too seriously.

There's nothing wrong with either. It's your game, you should choose what you like to do with it. That's my opinion. :D

Thanks :) I like to focus on the licences :3
 
Last edited:
I almost forgot. If you see a Porsche (or RUF), DO NOT try to drive it as a beginner. Once you have become very familiar with keeping cars under control in situations where they're losing traction, you can start using them. The RUFs have a tendency to drive sideways when you want them in a straight line. A true driver's car! In case you're still skeptical, look up RUF CTR Yellowbird on YouTube and click on any of the videos that show it on the Nurburgring.

Praiano tuned a RUF 3400S that drives like a dream, but stock ones can be pretty squirrelly. :sly:

Corvettes, and pretty much anything that is small, but speedy will be hard to handle until you get used to the game also. :)
 
The Skip Barber Racing School technique is very helpful for understaning the physics of racing, you can see the GT1-GT3 manuals and other sources for more details on Skip Barber.

Also look up "traction circle" -- keep in mind that any tire is only capable of 100% traction, which must be distributed among 1-acceleration, 2-braking, and 3-turning. If any combination of these three forces creates a demand for grip beyond what the tire can deliver, the tire will skid and may result in loss of control. Tire skid (or slide) is only desirable in drifting or rally racing -- which are both controlled slides -- and slide should not be confused with "slip" or slip angle, which a different topic altogether.

Also, it may be helpful to remember the different driving dynamics inherent in the various drivetrains -- FF, FR and 4WD/AWD are typically nose-heavy (not always), while MR and RR are typically rear-heavy. When driving any particular car, keep in mind its drivetrain, grip, and power capabilities and drive accordingly. (I always have to remember these performance limitations when driving the TVR cars... they are very fast but just don't handle very well, so they are able to produce fast lap times when driven appropriately.)

***Power is nothing without control.***

Finally, the most important thing to remember is HAVE FUN! Hope this helps. :)

It's nice to know that GT5 adds real life physics and properties, thanks for the help :D

Yes it probably would be easier for the OP if I did the research for him. Right now I only have time to respond by saying what might help with his question. If he *really* wants to learn about this stuff, he will find a way and find the time to look for the information.

I'll search it up on Google :3
 
Last edited by a moderator:
+1. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I think you said it pretty well, but it's sometimes helpful to have more than one person explain why. :)

Personally, I've been playing GT since the first one back in the mid to late '90's. I played it with the default settings, which means that I had driving aids on. Time Trials and such seemed like horrible punishments in the early games.

After I got GT5, I read about the assists and others who have similar opinions that you and I now share. I was almost reluctant to try it at first, but once I adjusted to it, I realized that I had learned a lot of bad habits over the years, which I had to unlearn.

I'm much better now, but I still notice the bad habits kicking in occasionally.

With that said, I tried my first online Seasonal Time Trial not long ago, which was the Madrid one. I managed, with a DS3, untuned car, and automatic transmission (I find it cumbersome to shift with a DS3 for some reason), to get into the top 2,500 times.

I drive much better now that I have the assists turned off and the Comfort tires no longer scare me. I honestly wish I would have turned the assists off in previous games, decades ago, but one can't change the past.

I can, however, offer my opinion to the new players. :D
 
I almost forgot. If you see a Porsche (or RUF), DO NOT try to drive it as a beginner. Once you have become very familiar with keeping cars under control in situations where they're losing traction, you can start using them. The RUFs have a tendency to drive sideways when you want them in a straight line. A true driver's car! In case you're still skeptical, look up RUF CTR Yellowbird on YouTube and click on any of the videos that show it on the Nurburgring.

Ok I'll start small with the lower powered cars :)
 
Last edited:
So out of this.
1. use 4WD or FF as they are better at cornering.
2. use lower powered cars as they corner easily.
3. use lesser grip tyres as you'll learn the corners easier. :).
 
So out of this.
1. use 4WD or FF as they are better at cornering.
2. use lower powered cars as they corner easily.
3. use lesser grip tyres as you'll learn the corners easier. :).

Ok, thanks for the tip! :D
 
Last edited:
So out of this.
1. use 4WD or FF as they are better at cornering.
2. use lower powered cars as they corner easily.
3. use lesser grip tyres as you'll learn the corners easier. :).

Until you get used to them. Then try the scion DLC, which is free.
 
Until you get used to them. Then try the scion DLC, which is free.

What about the GT86 that's already in the game?
 
Until you get used to them. Then try the scion DLC, which is free.

Ok I'll try out the DLC after im done with that stuff, thanks :)
 
Last edited:
Back