Highcroft's Deltawing *Update: granted ALMS 2013 full entry! *

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 482 comments
What? Not strobe lights and a five foot tall mast with orange flags? :D

-

I hope this project goes on. But what I'm really holding out for is a spec series... remote as that possibility seems.

That article states that a closed version of the Deltawing will be made, that would be a sight to behold.

I got to say I'm not sure what to expect from the Deltawing car now. Before we knew what they were supposed to achieve: LMP2 performnance with half the fuel and half the tyres. But now it is less clear what/how the ALMS balanced the Deltawing verusus its competition. From what I read the car is now more powerful and therefore it might do LMP1 lap times? At what cost consumption wise?

I'm with niky here. Either they do a spec series (and I'd love to see that happen) or they create an entire class of cars in multi-class racing but they need to beware about it not "stealing" the show from the flagship cars and manufacturers.

Making a spec series out would defeat the purpose of the Deltawing actually being different. There would be no way to see how efficient or effective it would be, if it had no serious competition. Never mind that there wasn't room for two different sports-car-prototype series in America.

BFV7m2YCUAA_OZv.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/barbosaracing/status/312291656521089024/photo/1

Not sure what to make of it. It looks rather... goofy.

I assume the dome is due to safety after the roll over last season? Otherwise it really doesn't fit with the rest of the car.

So... what exactly are the advantages/disadvantages of making it a coupe?

yeah mostly safety if it roll over and if some part is flying on the track (spring, tyres etc..). Basically it's to avoid the kind of incident Massa had.

The car doesn't look THAT bad but it won't be winning any concord d'elegance prizes any time soon.

I think this as close to a definition of "THAT bad" as you can get really...I mean how can they make it uglier? Paint it pink-chrome instead?

I think the DeltaWing probably should have been center-drive to begin with. The DeltaWing cars aren't beautiful at all, but they are certainly far from ugly. At least they are much better looking than the Lister Storm LMP of the previous decade (which I considered the ugliest-looking prototype of the previous decade). This DeltaWing coupe is truly one of the most unconventional and weirdest machines ever created. I'm actually buying the notion of the DeltaWing being an important step forward in the evolution of racing cars, let alone just among prototypes. You either love this car or hate it. I'm on the love side. Or as I seen in a YouTube comment because of its appearance, "the world's fastest d:censored:."

I do wish people would stop hating on the Deltawing so much. Then again, maybe I'm among the enthusiast crowd and have a level of appreciation of this car different from most other sportscar racing fans.

As much as I love the deltawing I'd hilariously want KY and Trojan to sponsor this thing for even more lulz.

Not the prettiest car I ever seen, but I point the finger toward the ACO regs for the hideous cockpit. Look at the current prototypes of today.

So... what exactly are the advantages/disadvantages of making it a coupe?

Generally a coupe has less drag and more lift.

The big cockpit might be that way for drag, to generate more suction around the sides and possibly allow for more pressure recovery in the rear.

Back