Highcroft's Deltawing *Update: granted ALMS 2013 full entry! *

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 482 comments
Sad it's not going to LeMans next year.

Would be fantastic if the concept were turned into an actual racing series. Imagine spending, say, turbocharged touring car money for a racer with true 200 mph potential...

Darren Cox is probably the most interesting guy to follow these last few days, he's clearly fed up with all the naysaying about the DeltaWing. This he labeled "unbelievable" but is very happy with the poll results and the comments supporting the car's safety.

btw, there's a huge debate going on about how to make the DW race and fight for race position without making it unfair to the class that appears to have what it takes to "save" sports cars racing (LMP2).

Some say the DW should be BOP'd to LMP2 performance. I don't agree, overall I dislike BOP and I think the DW's philosophy is the exact opposite of what BOP stands for.

I very much like one other idea coming up. A 500kg / 300 bhp class, with two "catches".

1. ZERO wings allowed (all downforce produced by body, including underbody of car)

2. Fuel and tyres per race strictly limited, and greatly inferior (half?) to what LMP2 cars use.

"Catch" #1 would be the most interesting, because once and for all we would see IF a rectangular car with regular BIG front tyres could be as efficient as a "Deltawing" shaped car.

Yeah, definitely following him now.

I kind of understand Tiff Needell's type of response (well, why don't we take the weight restrictions off the prototypes, then?!), but it does sorta miss the point, as many have.

If the costs of running and development for Proto-class cars is part of what's killing the teams, then DW-type development is called for. Triple and quadruple stints on tires, and those engines just have to be cheaper and more durable at that spec. Less aero dev cost war, one would hope.

They do get to sneak in the torque-vectoring; development of improvements to aid systems like that could be another expensive arms race, which might be best avoided.

In other news, Patrick Dempsey's life must really suck..... not.

Last edited:
I think a one-on-one between the Delta and a four-wheeler would be fantastic.

Honestly, I can't see how anybody can dislike the Deltawing. This team worked so hard to get this machine to compete. I'm especially proud of the Deltawing crew to get this most unusual car to finish Petit Le Mans- and finish high. I'm proud of these guys for their endurance and determination.

The engineering in that car blows my mind. I know race cars are already exquisite works of engineering, but the Deltawing is just so out of the ordinary that it's somehow even more staggering.

If the costs of running and development for Proto-class cars is part of what's killing the teams, then DW-type development is called for. Triple and quadruple stints on tires, and those engines just have to be cheaper and more durable at that spec. Less aero dev cost war, one would hope.

There would always be a cost war as long as manufacturers/big sponsors are involved. In every motorsport, the team that spends the most - wins the most. Not just because they can spend on aero development or engines. But loads of things from testing, spare parts, hiring the best engineers, mechanics, strategists, drivers...etc etc.

The DeltaWing is certainly not a solution to that.

Ardius
There would always be a cost war as long as manufacturers/big sponsors are involved. In every motorsport, the team that spends the most - wins the most. Not just because they can spend on aero development or engines. But loads of things from testing, spare parts, hiring the best engineers, mechanics, strategists, drivers...etc etc.

The DeltaWing is certainly not a solution to that.

But if the law of diminishing returns kicks in at, say 2 million a year instead of 8, and the running and parts/common platform costs are lower, that's still a boon to smaller teams (figures chosen completely randomly). The big teams may be just as far out of reach, but it doesn't hurt quite as badly, if you see what I mean.

I want one.... I'd kill for a track day special variant of the deltawing for the masses!

I keep throwing money at the computer screen to no avail..... Sadness.

You're supposed to stick your credit card in that slot over there...

No, take the CD out first. :D

-

Absolutely stunning. Love the exposed intake trumpets. I wish someone would make one of those.

Back to reality :) the most recent news about the Deltawing are intriguing to say the least. Even Michelin pulled out.

Now, I have been following the "Deltawing Adventure" not since its beginning (as an Indy Car project), but since it was announced as the "Garage 56" car for 2012, with Highcroft backing Ben Bowlby's concept and providing a well organized team to field the car and race it.

They were helped by AAR and Don Panoz, then they got hold of the AMR-One tub (no idea how that came about). Then it was Michelin for the tyres, Nissan for the engine and other partners for the one-of-a-kind components such as brakes, suspension, you name it, everything was different and new and had to be purpose-made for this car.

The car proved its worth (at least it was able to turn for the corners ;) ) and what happens next? Don Panoz announces he will race the car in the ALMS, announces a closed version of it, and ... everyone else leaves. AAR and Highcroft don't surprise me, they moved on as I always guessed they would. Nissan I found a bit odd but ok, they have a HUGE program in just about every bit of sports cars racing happening on this planet. But I couldn't understand that Ben Bowlby, the car's creator, wouldn't keep a role in its development. And I surely can't understand Michelin bailing out too.

Don't know what to think about all this really ... but I fear the worst :indiff:

According to what I read, Panoz will use rebadged Mazda engines, Mazda is not involved with the project.

And apparently he will make 40 of those engines ... if it's 2 per car that could mean that behind curtains a DW spec series is being discussed ...

Bowlby has said that the DW was "open-source". I'm unfamiliar with English technical language about copyright, but I think this means he won't object others to keep developing his architectural concept and make of it whatever they choose, without claiming author's rights or fees. So, maybe that's the plan, Panoz says "I can make it happen" and Bowlby says "you're free to do it, I'll be working on something else now".

But all we can do is to speculate.

One thing I hope is that Highcroft Racing finds the money and technical partners it needs to return to top honors in american sports cars racing. And, why not, world sports cars racing.

The 2013 livery has been revealed. Maybe it's the change in color but the car looks slightly different.

1126027_article_img_large1.jpg

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-deltawing-livery-unveiled/

Back