Historical events you'd most like to have witnessed

• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 63 comments
Solving mysterious disappearances is an obvious thing a lot of people would want to do with time travel. Amelia Earhart is probably the first one that comes to mind for a lot of people. For me I'm interested in George Mallory and Andrew Irvine. Mallory's perfectly-preserved body was found on the slopes of Everest some 75 years after their attempted summit, however it was Irvine who was carrying the camera which, assuming the film is intact, would surely answer once and for all whether or not they beat Hillary and Norgay's successful summit by some 30 years.

Last edited:
Solving mysterious disappearances is an obvious thing a lot of people would want to do with time travel. Amelia Earhart is probably the first one that comes to mind for a lot of people. For me I'm interested in George Mallory and Andrew Irvine. Mallory's perfectly-preserved body was found on the slopes of Everest some 75 years after their attempted summit, however it was Irvine who was carrying the camera which, assuming the film is intact, would surely answer once and for all whether or not they beat Hillary and Norgay's successful summit by some 30 years.

What about the ethical dilemmas that these situations (and others that have been mentioned) would bring up? Not to mention the danger to your own life.

To time travel and experience Amelia Earhart going missing, you would in effect have to travel with her - or actually be on Everest with Mallory and Irvine. You would surely either suffer the same fate as them, or if you could just click a button and be transported back to safety, how would you feel not being able to help or feel having to witness these people dying in what are likely traumatic circumstances?

What about the ethical dilemmas that these situations (and others that have been mentioned) would bring up? Not to mention the danger to your own life.

To time travel and experience Amelia Earhart going missing, you would in effect have to travel with her - or actually be on Everest with Mallory and Irvine. You would surely either suffer the same fate as them, or if you could just click a button and be transported back to safety, how would you feel not being able to help or feel having to witness these people dying in what are likely traumatic circumstances?

I was envisioning this from the perspective of observing these events but not being able to interact with the world or change anything, as oppose to Back to the Future style when you can end up inadvertently messing up the timeline.

Back