Homemade Rigs

• Thread starter Peelster1
  • 37 comments
I built this rig at home, my first real project with wood since school 12 years ago.
No plans, all in my head, about $150AUD of MDF, pine and screws.
Not pretty or completely square and flush, but I’m happy and proud!
Man drifting is bloody hard after using the dualshock all my life haha!

Attachments

• 1604EB86-7A9F-4C91-8BCB-BEF5B57992B8.jpeg
    1604EB86-7A9F-4C91-8BCB-BEF5B57992B8.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 411C00D5-519F-4E2C-B29B-6023FFE32998.jpeg
    411C00D5-519F-4E2C-B29B-6023FFE32998.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 134
IMG_20180715_232504.jpg

Not a full rig per-se but a pretty decent setup for a very reasonable price.

It consists of the following:
- Thrustmaster T500RS
- GT Omega wheel stand
- IKEA Håmö beach chair (bright pink for extra performance)

I've been trying to find a good setup for a stow away rig for some time now. A regular dinner table chair didn't cut, mainly because the seating position gave me back pains and stiff shoulders over any meaningful period of time. I've also tried a more traditional full size deck chair. It did the job, but was cumbersome to get into the right position.

The beach chair is by far the best one so far. I sit comfortably, almost like in an F1 car and it's small, light and compact (and very cheap). Just fold it together and chuck it in with the rest of the beach stuff.

I sit comfortably when gaming, and it's out of sight when I don't - to the delight of the missus.

View attachment 751501
Not a full rig per-se but a pretty decent setup for a very reasonable price.

I've been trying to find a good setup for a stow away rig for some time now.

The beach chair is by far the best one so far. I sit comfortably, almost like in an F1 car and it's small, light and compact (and very cheap). Just fold it together and chuck it in with the rest of the beach stuff.

I sit comfortably when gaming, and it's out of sight when I don't - to the delight of the missus.

Did you not see the playseat challenge? Like a beachchair but with a wheel and pedal mount

You making your own yarn McLaren?

Gotta pass the time somehow when not sim racing. :lol:

Did you not see the playseat challenge? Like a beachchair but with a wheel and pedal mount

I'm well aware of it, and was considering it for a while before buying the GT Omega stand. I find that this solution gives me more freedom for adjustment - not to mention a lower price. The GT Omega wheel stand is close to half the price og the Challenge, and it's expandable, so you can use it as a starting point for a full rig with seat frame in the future.

I built this set up from 4130 tubing that I keep in stock. Plan to add a shifter and cup holder in the near future. One thing that was a must for me is that the pedals and steering wheel were firmly mounted, I did not want anything moving around or flexing when in use. A side benefit is that it is light too, without the wheel and pedals it weighs maybe between 20-25 pounds, the steel frame alone is only about 5 pounds

Back