Honda Civic Type R Conquers Mount Panorama in Record Time

That is moving and I smell a TT challenge here.
I'm thinking what sims have a similar Type R variant to attempt a 2:35 run.
Using mods I know we have rF2, AC. Raceroom has the TCR, PC2 just has the Euro spec I believe.

So this was done using a completely stock type R, no tire changes or anything?

What kind off tires are they using for theese laptimes?

I don't know that's awfully quick. But, the article says production car and for the time to qualify production I would assume it would have to be the same tires as the units sitting at the dealership for sale.

Here is a picture from a stock 2019.
Looks like they're running 20" Continental Sport Contacts.
Never heard of them.
70460654-4E5F-43AF-B00E-2AA594B823E3.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know that's awfully quick. But, the article says production car and for the time to qualify production I would assume it would have to be the same tires as the units sitting at the dealership for sale.

Here is a picture from a stock 2019.
Looks like they're running 20" Continental Sport Contacts.
Never heard of them.
View attachment 819732

Continental ContiSportContact 6, 245/30-ZR20 90Y. They are summer tires.

That is moving and I smell a TT challenge here.
I'm thinking what sims have a similar Type R variant to attempt a 2:35 run.
Using mods I know we have rF2, AC. Raceroom has the TCR, PC2 just has the Euro spec I believe.

So this was done using a completely stock type R, no tire changes or anything?

I know it doesn't count for much but Forza has the '18 Type-R and Bathurst, should be close enough

The FWD Production Car Lap Record is the participation trophy of going fast. It's a bit like being the world's fastest swimmer... In marmite.

They're more relevant than setting a lap record in a Radical Caterham Atom Xbox.
I would prefer to see the Civic set record parallel parking times, at least they are relevant to the entire philosophy behind transverse FWD (practicality)

I would prefer to see the Civic set record parallel parking times, at least they are relevant to the entire philosophy behind transverse FWD (practicality)

As is the philosophy behind an FR layout. As is the philosophy behind having more than 1 seat. As is the philosophy of having summer tires instead of R compounds. As is the philosophy of almost every design trade in all of production car design.

As is the philosophy behind an FR layout. As is the philosophy behind having more than 1 seat. As is the philosophy of having summer tires instead of R compounds. As is the philosophy of almost every design trade in all of production car design.
Not trying to scrub your point, it's valid, but transverse FWD essentially directly trades ideal power application, which makes most mechanical sense coming from the rear wheels, for larger cabin space within the same overall car size, hence why 4 fully grown adults will fit comfortably into an Austin Mini, but you will struggle to get 2 into a Porsche of comparable size.

This is less and less relevant with 4WD, torque vectoring type of clever things, taking advantage of specific situations where powering the front wheels is quicker.

Nevertheless I feel if one were to design a machine for the express purpose of going around a circuit quickly, its incredibly unlikely one would opt for an FF layout.

This generation of Honda Civic Type R is a bloody monster! I've driven it myself, and it feels absolutely astonishing! It's quick, yes, but what it really shines at is traction. That thing can take turns like I've never thought an FR car could do before. It has so much traction! You can fully trust it, it never ever let things get out of control!

Not trying to scrub your point, it's valid, but transverse FWD essentially directly trades ideal power application, which makes most mechanical sense coming from the rear wheels, for larger cabin space within the same overall car size, hence why 4 fully grown adults will fit comfortably into an Austin Mini, but you will struggle to get 2 into a Porsche of comparable size.

This is less and less relevant with 4WD, torque vectoring type of clever things, taking advantage of specific situations where powering the front wheels is quicker.

Nevertheless I feel if one were to design a machine for the express purpose of going around a circuit quickly, its incredibly unlikely one would opt for an FF layout.

Depends on the "circuit" and the parameters of the race I would think. For certain sets of requirements, FF might make sense in extremely traction limited instances like rally driving or ice courses. Certainly it's a bit removed from this particular circuit.

Of course moving the engine to the front of the car from the middle of the car is done similarly for space, and is a compromise in terms of moment of inertia, weight, and complexity. So I'm not sure why you care so much more about this one engineering trade vs. that engineering trade. Of course, like I said, all of it is a trade, right down to functional doors.

If one were to design a machine with the express purpose of going around a circuit quickly, and the circuit is a typical race circuit with asphalt... I would think it would be extremely unlikely to end up with anything but a mid-engine rear-wheel drive (possibly AWD) configuration with one seat, no sound deadening, no glass in the windows, non-working doors, no AC, no stereo, slick tires, a ball-in-socket suspension, and absolutely no flex anywhere ever.

But of course reality exists, and we have production cars that meet other demands. And we still take them to the track to see how fast they go.

Depends on the "circuit" and the parameters of the race I would think. For certain sets of requirements, FF might make sense in extremely traction limited instances like rally driving or ice courses. Certainly it's a bit removed from this particular circuit.

Of course moving the engine to the front of the car from the middle of the car is done similarly for space, and is a compromise in terms of moment of inertia, weight, and complexity. So I'm not sure why you care so much more about this one engineering trade vs. that engineering trade. Of course, like I said, all of it is a trade, right down to functional doors.

If one were to design a machine with the express purpose of going around a circuit quickly, and the circuit is a typical race circuit with asphalt... I would think it would be extremely unlikely to end up with anything but a mid-engine rear-wheel drive configuration with one seat, no sound deadening, no glass in the windows, non-working doors, no AC, no stereo, slick tires, a ball-in-socket suspension, and absolutely no flex anywhere ever.

But of course reality exists, and we have production cars that meet other demands. And we still take them to the track to see how fast they go.
I agree with you completely here, and can add that FWD certainly was considered quick in rallies well into the 70s. The difficulties of driving a powerful RWD car on gravel are not subtle. Audi would soon do away with all that, however.

The civic is certainly impressive. Something with 310+ horsepower going to the front wheels, VTEC and turbo really doesn't seem like it should be as poised and balanced as that car seems to be.

I still definitely want to try your fastest-thing-in-the-universe prototype, though. You have to admit you are describing a monster.

I'm not against going quick in things that aren't exclusively designed to do so - go peep the daily race thread, i've been in the Honda Fit the last couple of days and enjoying it.

i just don't find FWD production records very exciting or meaningful.

i just don't find FWD production records very exciting or meaningful.

Ok but... relative to....

Like a RWD production record? Or a mid-engine production record? or how about a production car record? How about different production records for different classes of tire? How about a production car record with a minimum number of units sold?

Why is this one bugging you?

Ok but... relative to....

Like a RWD production record? Or a mid-engine production record? or how about a production car record? How about different production records for different classes of tire? How about a production car record with a minimum number of units sold?

Why is this one bugging you?
I'd say I'm not particularly interested in any production car lap records. It certainly wouldn't factor into a car purchase, even if I intended to buy a car with a mind to taking it to a track, something I intend to do in the future, its raw pace on whatever track is pretty low on the list of things I will consider, as it is highly unlikely id ever extract that level of performance from any car without a couple decades more experience. Plus there are many other factors to consider that I'm sure I needn't list here.

It all seems rather irrelevant to me, however I recognise that, if it didn't in some way boost sales, manufacturers wouldn't bother, and that my opinions are opinions and therefore are easily discardable to anyone i posit them to.

I'd say I'm not particularly interested in any production car lap records. It certainly wouldn't factor into a car purchase, even if I intended to buy a car with a mind to taking it to a track, something I intend to do in the future, its raw pace on whatever track is pretty low on the list of things I will consider, as it is highly unlikely id ever extract that level of performance from any car without a couple decades more experience. Plus there are many other factors to consider that I'm sure I needn't list here.

It all seems rather irrelevant to me, however I recognise that, if it didn't in some way boost sales, manufacturers wouldn't bother, and that my opinions are opinions and therefore are easily discardable to anyone i posit them to.

So you posted in a thread revolving around a topic that doesn't interest you- gotcha.

You sure the whole 'irrelevant being a FWD record' thing didn't start with you posting about something you don't care for?

Was there an existing record for this beforehand? Or is this another 'we did so, there's a record now' jobs?

Just asking :)

Am I the only one disappointed by that video? Jenson Button selling me a Civic rather than actually showing us him driving it around the track...

Back