Honda CRX

• Thread starter mp10
  • 65 comments

mp10

Premium
United Kingdom
Coventry
mika_98
I found one after 1 year of searching classifieds and forums, a 1991 Honda CRX Vtec. The car was brought over by my brother a few weeks ago from Northern Ireland on the ferry. Meanwhile I was digging up some parts ready to go on the car. The car’s in need of a few adjustments and small repairs to get it fully set for the road. Colour is Celestial Blue which I’ve always wanted, the past few weeks I was considering other colours as it was becoming difficult to find a decent one.

Current spec
B16 with 111,000 miles
DC Sports Manifold 4-1
Long arm air intake (unknown brand) with Apexi Filter
Mongoose exhaust
MeisterR Zeta S Coilover
Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres
Magnecor HT Leads

Exterior
Team Heko wind deflectors
Honda Fat Five alloys
Stanley Fog lights

Interior
Standard VT Seats
Momo Steering wheel (recent addition)
HKB Boss Kit (recent addition)
Short Shifter with Skunk2 Gear knob

At the moment I’m sorting out any small issues, minor boot leak that’s common with most CRX’s, water seems to be seeping in through the rear light cluster and into the wheel well. o2 sensors are missing after the previous owner put the DC Sports manifold, that is one which needs sorting soon. The coilovers need to be correctly adjusted, sitting a little too low. I was able to adjust the front set easily but the rear was a little tricky, hopefully I'll have that done on Wednesday.

For the time being I’m on the lookout for ITR Cams, either an AC Autotechnic or AEM long arm induction. As for the rest of the car, I'm happy with how it is, no plans on bodykits etc.

Here are a few quick pictures, not the best of pictures to be honest. The car needs a good clean-up but these should be fine for now J

DUkrJsK.jpg

XhRMenq.jpg

himTDFn.jpg

Ply5T1N.jpg

Last edited:
You need to get rid of plates and it'll be a lot better.

The more standard it looks the better.

Ideally i did want one which was standard, but its too difficult to find one which has not been modified and the prices are getting higher, traders are snapping them up very quickly. There was one i spotted in Aberdeen, 88k miles and standard, was sold for £2,500 and then put back on for sale for £3,995.

Very nice car.👍 Always thought it'd be cool to have a B16 rex. Small engine that can rev to 8-9k in a little car like the CRX.

P.S.
Get cams from an '00 or '01 ITR. You'll get an extra 3° of duration on the intake side over the '96-'99 ITR cams.
(lol, don't do that. It'll have minimal, if any, affect on the powerband. Buy whichever cams are cheaper and don't have a lot of miles.)

CTR cams from an EK9 give a slightly better result over DC2 cams but come at a premium price. There's a set of ITR cams and cam gears for sale on CRX-UK right now if you've got a bit of money spare.

@Richardrfo All CTR and '00-'01 ITR cams have the same lift and duration. The '96-'99 ITR cams have 3 degrees less duration on the intake side. There won't be much gain, if any, from 3 extra degrees in peak hp/tq numbers. As a matter of fact, there won't be much change throughout the entire powerband.

@mp10 You should just go for whichever cams you can find that are cheaper and don't have a lot of miles. I don't see much of a point trying to get CTR or '00-'01 ITR cams because if you are looking for performance you should get aftermarket cams. You won't be reaching the full potential of the CTR/ITR without a tune and adjustable cam gears. The ITR/CTR cams also make their peak horsepower higher up in the rpm range so you'd need valve train upgrades to reach the peak.

If you're looking for performance, it'd probably be better to just get some aftermarket cams. If you want to stay Honda OEM, CTR/ITR are a great choice.

Thanks guys, for now I might leave the cams until I've sorted the other few niggling problems out, like the o2 sensors and boot leak. Maybe a few months down the line I'll have a look around. Thanks for the advice, good to know.

The forum has a comprehensive thread on boot leak reasons, I gave up after trying 3 different solutions for now. The most common ones are gutter rails, light seals and boot seal.

The forum has a comprehensive thread on boot leak reasons, I gave up after trying 3 different solutions for now. The most common ones are gutter rails, light seals and boot seal.

I've found the fault, the real light cluster seals on one side are poor, going to swap out the gasket with my brothers older rear light cluster set.

If that doesn't work and you can't find a decent set cheap, use your old ones as a template and cut up a camping bed mat from Halfords etc, does a good job of sealing.

Very nice car you got yourself!
Unfortunately like the JDM SiR, the EDM 1.6i-VT was not sold in North America.

A CRX lap at the ring for your enjoyment:

If you click on the EF9 link in my signature...
...there is a link for Senna driving Mugen CRX EF8 at Suzuka West.

Last edited:
^Haha the angry guy. I saw that vid some time ago :lol:

Mp10: awesome purchase, CRX are cool :goodchoice:

Wish you loads of fun with the car ;)

@Ibonibo thanks, liking the new plasti-dip you've done on the car 👍

@JogoAsobi thanks, senna vids a classic one, there's also a crx 16v nurburgring video which is also pretty good, will see if I can find it.

@Richardrfo The old light clusters seem to have poor gaskets so I'm going to make a few templates soon, thanks for the tip.

Also car will be going in for some work, track rod and raising back box.

After that might take a trip to endless horizons to get the suspension properly adjusted, a remap and the o2 sensors being sorted out too. Found my brothers old socketed ECU but it seems to be missing the chip he had in it :( think it was either a bbr or nominous chip from the crx UK forum.

Update

Ordered some Goodridge braided brake lines, fuel tank straps, track rod ends and a exhaust rubber mount. all should be on the car in the next week or so. Also been looking into Nardi Steering wheels, pricey yes but if a used one in good condition comes along i may go for it.

Cars been raised at the front, however rear coilovers don't seem to be adjusting as expected, seems like its running out of thread or maybe they're seized; so will take them up to Endless horizons soon.

Get in contact with Adam at 6two1, he has Personal and Nardi wheels available from about £148, it's on my list of next purchases too.

Get in contact with Adam at 6two1, he has Personal and Nardi wheels available from about £148, it's on my list of next purchases too.
Thanks will check them out, the one I'm looking for is current priced at 190 elsewhere. Friend of mine went for an eBay nardi style wheel, absolute crap, leather and stitching went bad after a week or two.

Also added to the list are some new speakers...:)

:0 those wheels are awesome. Very cool car.

Thanks 👍 I'm not too keen on them to be honest, i would rather save a little and get a set of Volk TE37
nengun-0985-06-rays-volk_racing_-_te37.jpg

Either in bronze or gunmetal.

The only challenge with TE37s is finding them in the right size but still 4x100, they generally end up being a comfortable fit like 15x6.5j ET35 which is nice until you want a bit more width. Definitely a great wheel choice though, one of my favourites!

thanks, i'll check that out.

Cars going to the garage tomorrow, hopefully have a few bits sorted out. In the meantime i've got a few things that arrived in the post, the takata tow strap was a gift from a friend, the seatbelt pads i found on Gumtree and the Goodridge Braided brake lines. Fuel tank straps arrived too, those will be going on tomorrow too, along with a smaller exhaust mount to raise the drop of the muffler as its still scraping on the speed bumps.

Xaen2G1.jpg

@mp10 I think you will enjoy this.
I have all the official JDM Honda brochures/literature for the CR-X SiR.

Book on lower right is Honda's official CR-X parts catalog for dealers.
Also have the official Honda Service Manual although not in pic.

If you can locate an old copy of Autocar & Motor June 20, 1990 ed. in UK...
...it has a 1.6i VT road test. I have that too.

crxlit-jpg.192146

Back