Honda to quit F1? - Now with added Brawn GP

• Thread starter darkfinal
  • 500 comments
If the stories of Button being dissatisfed with his offer are true, then it's unlilely a Mercedes investment of the scale we're hearing will come about. If Mercedes were to invest, I don't think there would be much of a problem in Button getting a pay rise. They could easily afford it.

While I'm sure being associated with Brawn given their impressive success has crossed the collective minds of MB, I don't know if they'd be rash enough to just dive in head first into full ownership without knowing how their momentum is gonna carry over to next year, especially when they already have a deep ingrained relationship with McLaren. The most I can see them doing is buying a small share and a dual sponsorship with the two at the same time (instead of dropping one completely to pick the other as is being suggested). I might see McLaren having an issue with this if MB suddenly cut their ties, but I don't see this happening right now, although McLaren is preparing themselves to eventually be the manufacturer team they've been looking to be.

The momentum is carrying over to next year, after Jensen Button claimed win number 6, Ross Brawn decided to shift the focus to 2010 and halt developement on the BGP001, their car is pretty much designed and being wind-tunneled as we speak (obviously not now because its close to 4am lol).

Take this into account: recently Brawn admitted that the Mercedes engine was never fitted properly into the car as it was designed for the Honda engine, as a result the engine was a few inches higher than it should have been, wrecking the centre of gravity.

They only did what was need to do to win the title, not win by overkill. People are underestimating how clever Ross Brawn is, he's not a complete dumbass like Peter Windsor.

@interludes ...I was refering to the screen the link brought up, lol.

The momentum is carrying over to next year, after Jensen Button claimed win number 6, Ross Brawn decided to shift the focus to 2010 and halt developement on the BGP001, their car is pretty much designed and being wind-tunneled as we speak (obviously not now because its close to 4am lol).

Take this into account: recently Brawn admitted that the Mercedes engine was never fitted properly into the car as it was designed for the Honda engine, as a result the engine was a few inches higher than it should have been, wrecking the centre of gravity.

They only did what was need to do to win the title, not win by overkill. People are underestimating how clever Ross Brawn is, he's not a complete dumbass like Peter Windsor.

I wouldn't write it as a sure thing. Remember that most teams didn't get the interpretation of the rules right like Brawn did. Based on those issues, most teams this year ran cars with fundamental mistakes that required the car to be almost entirely redesigned. Next year Brawn won't have that edge. And again, as BMW demonstrated, getting a headstart is nowhere close to a guarantee of success. Next year's Brawn car may be faster than this year's, but it's really about being faster than next year's Ferraris, McLarens and Red Bulls

New developement on the situation with Jensen Button... he's gone and sold his soul to the devil? : http://www.crash.net/f1/news/154660/1/woking_visit_fuels_button_mclaren_rumours.html
You're believing Crash.net?

Other sources are reporting that Raikkonen's people have visited Woking as well. My suspicion is that Button and Whitmarsh have formed an alliance of sorts to make Button very visible at McLaren to light a fire under both Raikkonen and Brawn. It's a dangerous game for Button to play.

He's gone all egotistical like Mansell did.
Not necessarily. He just wants to go back to his 2008 pay of eight million; right now, he's got the rather dubious distinction of being the lowest-paid World Champion.

If you want an eotistical driver, look no futher than Kimi Raikkonen. Ross Brawn said he opened negotiations with Raikkonen's management, but they were acting as if the retainer he was paid by Ferrari to leave his contract had never been paid. Raikkonen's the egotistical one - he's made no secret of the fact that he wants as much money as possible and a championship-winning car (really, Kimi, it's one or the other) - it's Button who just wants to be paid his due. After all, he paid for all his travel, hotel and laundry services this year. You don't think he's drawn a short straw there when Raikkonen is being paid fifty million to trundle around outside the top ten?

Apologies for the triple-post, but Auto Motor und Sport are reporting that Brawn will be reinvented as Mercedes GP with Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg fulfilling driver duties.

Apologies for the triple-post, but Auto Motor und Sport are reporting that Brawn will be reinvented as Mercedes GP with Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg fulfilling driver duties.

I am praying Rosberg will get that seat, and I'm pretty sure he will too. I'll tell you right now that we'll see another young German kid fly at the front next season, that kid is Nico. I cannot wait to see him in action backed up by Brawn's genius material.

BBC predict a little different. Predict Rosberg and Heidfeld at Merc and Button and Hamilton at Mclaren. Good old Brits V Germans ;)

BBC predict a little different. Predict Rosberg and Heidfeld at Merc and Button and Hamilton at Mclaren. Good old Brits V Germans ;)
The reports are premature and seemed to be fuelled by an over-zealous British press who want to see McLaren run an all-British lineup and Mercedes become the German All-Stars and then re-enact World War II on the track. Autosport confirm no driver decisions have been made.

Personally, I think McLaren is a mistake for Button and Mecerdes are mad if they don't do everything in their power to keep him. Nick Heidfeld has nothing that Button can't better: Button has more race wins, more pole positions, a World Championship and the rights to the number one.

Mercedes bosses haven't ruled out Button.

Well there goes another favourite team, it was nice while it lasted. No more will they be Brawn, the British privateer team in Brackley headed by Ross Brawn, they will be Mercedes Benz, based in Brackley whose team principal is Ross Brawn.
They've seemingly lost what I originally liked about them - a return to the old style race team using the team owner's surname and not being affiliated with any manufacturer (apart from the Honda money, but that wasn't going to last beyond 2009).

I hope the team don't become like McLaren - boring, professional and serious. It was such a breath of fresh air to have those pictures of the team going nuts in the garage compared to the brief cheer the McLaren personnel do before going back to work.
It makes McLaren their own character, but it kind of makes me not want them to win.

Perhaps its irrational to think the team will suddenly change character because their ownership and name has changed, but somehow it just won't be the same.

Who knows? Maybe now that McLaren is a little more independent, they can loosen up those collars...

No, thats how McLaren have always been under Ron Dennis, it wouldn't be McLaren if they weren't so serious and professional. I doubt they will change and funnily enough I don't want them to change - we still need character, even if its boring character, it at least helps contrast.
Besides, I'm sure some people like McLaren for that as much as I do not.

All is not lost though, because my old favourites Williams are still around and looking strong for next season. Force India should build on this year, Red Bull and Toro Rosso are still around (not really my favourites but still fun teams).

I'm also going to be rooting for Lotus next year and watching Senna and USF1 with much interest.

Should be a great season, but I'm disappointed Brawn will no longer be part of it under that name. At least they get to be an anomaly with a 100% win ratio for championships.

Speaking of which, I wonder how happy Honda are now? :lol: They've essentially funded a team that designed Mercedes' car.

Last edited:
Back