Honda to quit F1? - Now with added Brawn GP

• Thread starter darkfinal
  • 500 comments
Their 2005 V10s were quite competitive, too - and remember, Cosworth's total spendings that year, on ChampCar, F1, Sportscars and Indy, was still less than what some engine-manufacturers invested in that year's F1 engine. Cosworth was, at the time, the most cost-efficient team - slightly underpowered, but they recycled parts that weren't worn, yet still hit 900HP at 2005.

If only we could enforce use of the actual DFVs, and get back to the sounds of days gone by.

I think that the best thing that can happen is that F1 does a phoenix. The tracks, regulations, regulators and processes are all wrong. Regeneration is the best option.

I agree that Toyota will be next, followed by Renault and then BMW. Will we be back to an age of Williams and McLaren running Cosworth engines trying to beat the over-funded Ferrari?

You mean their engines from the late 80s-2006, thats a whole 20+ years of mediocre engines!
They were always under-powered as well, Schumacher didn't win because of engine, thats for sure, he was always hampered by it because the Renault of Hill was more powerful and more reliable.

I suppose its not as bad as having Yamaha or Lamborghini as the engine supplier though.

There won't be any Prodrive buyout, do you really think anyone is going to throw that much money around right now? I'm sorry to say it, but the Honda F1 crew are not going to have their jobs saved unless they find a backer who has lots of money and is insane.

Like has been said I expect Toyota to be the next if anyone. Then maybe Renault, Williams or BMW Sauber because of their bank sponsorships plus their car sales.

No it was meant as Honda ruined thier own F1 team,Dave Richards did a MASSIVE job building up BAR Honda to become a front running team as soon as they start being competive Honda came in and thought they knew better.

If David Richard's still ran the team they could easily still be up there with Ferrari and McLaren and would have managed to secure better funding and sponsorship.

I think the developing story here is wheather Petrobras decides to bite the bullet and buy the team or not.

While it doesn't make sense for most people that don't know them, i can see that happening, speacially knowing how much they want to invest in marketing and off-shore drilling overseas.

Being the 7th largest company in the world and posting record-setting profits each quarter, i think they are considering doing this.

As i post, the CEO and other exes are discussing the future of the oil company in the F1.

Interesting things should come of this meeting. Honda would still suply engines and Bruno and Rubens would surely be the drivers.👍

Villeneuve, the whiney old sod, finally makes a good point: It may not really be a need to cut the F1 operations (Honda still has vast reserves, and what are 200m$ compared to them?), but it's the "We're cutting expenses" image that's important. Some in this very thread already said it's the sensible thing, it's keeping the core alive, etc - but that was probably a main factor in it. It makes Honda seem sensible.

Brawn isn't just a good manager, apparently he's a decent advertiser, too:

Ross Brawn
“It is such a fantastic opportunity for somebody who wants to get involved with Formula 1. You won’t find the infrastructure we have here, the quality of people we have here, the facilities we have here and the fact that I believe we have got a front-running car already designed. If we can find that owner, if we can find that investor then they won’t get a better opportunity than this.”

Jenson showed alot of enthusiasm towards honda's 2009 car. It would be very interesting if he leaves for STR if there's a buyer for honda

Jenson showed alot of enthusiasm towards honda's 2009 car.

Jenson showed alot of enthusiasm towards Honda's 2008 car too... :ill:

I agree, though... he's been loyal to the team and I'd be surprised if he left before the future of the team was certain. If Honda find a buyer, he'd definitely stay... but the offer an F1 drive when the very existence of your current team is in serious doubt certainly will be tempting for him.

Had Honda been more successful they'd still be here, that's for sure.

Had Honda been more successful they'd still be here, that's for sure.

I'm not so sure, the lack of North American rounds next year plus the car industry problem contributed more than anything else. But no doubt it made it an easier decision.

So does anyone have any ideas about potential buyers? Petrobras would be interesting, and though I highly doubt it would happen, Prodrive might be looking at it (seeing as they were willing to come up with a team from scratch, buying a team with facilities plus a developed car and a possible engine supplier make this a lot easier for them. Not to mention the team is already based in England).
Gerhard Berger also mentioned he wouldn't rule out returning to F1 again..

"Buying the team" is easy - it's for free. It's the fundings to keep it going will need funding - sponsors. For a team that sucked for two years in a row, and ran sponsor-less, in the current financial situation, the only ones who'd sponsor are either firms that might gain from F1 affiliations (Petrobras), or have car-nuts on their board (Red Bull).

Or alcohol-companies. In these days of depression and crisis, I'll bet they're making a fortune helping financial advisors drown their sorrows. Martini Racing? Better yet - Finlandia F1, featuring Kimi Raikkonen: Our driver is our biggest customer.

Or alcohol-companies. In these days of depression and crisis, I'll bet they're making a fortune helping financial advisors drown their sorrows. Martini Racing? Better yet - Finlandia F1, featuring Kimi Raikkonen: Our driver is our biggest customer.

:lol:

"Buying the team" is easy - it's for free. It's the fundings to keep it going will need funding - sponsors. For a team that sucked for two years in a row, and ran sponsor-less, in the current financial situation, the only ones who'd sponsor are either firms that might gain from F1 affiliations (Petrobras), or have car-nuts on their board (Red Bull).

I realise that and I did not say otherwise. Obviously buying the team is the easy part.

In these days of depression and crisis, I'll bet they're making a fortune helping financial advisors drown their sorrows. Martini Racing? Better yet - Finlandia F1, featuring Kimi Raikkonen: Our driver is our biggest customer.

That's going in my sig! :lol:

I hope this doesn't affect Honda's other racing programs in the IndyCar Series, American Le Mans Series, and MotoGP.

I'm sure the former Honda team will make the grid at Australia. The only question though is whether they will have BMW or Ferrari powerplants. It was only a matter of time HMC would pull the plug on their F1 program they did after all spend hundreds of millions of dollars with nothing to show for it. Brawn is optimistic that they have a good chasis for 09 so we will see what the future brings.

Max Mosley
Further to my letter of 18 November, we have completed the tendering process and are now in exclusive negotiations with Cosworth together with Xtrac and Ricardo Transmissions (XR) to supply a complete Formula One power train starting in 2010. The engine will be a current Formula One engine while the transmission will be state-of-the-art Formula One and a joint effort by two companies which already supply transmissions to most of the grid.

"Excellent. Everything is going as planned."

starwarsemperorky9.jpg

I'm sure the former Honda team will make the grid at Australia. The only question though is whether they will have BMW or Ferrari powerplants.

Nope, they'll likely have Honda engines - they've already said they're willing to continue supplying engines.

Sad news... sad days... With many countries unable to afford Ecclestone's princely sums, and hard times for all manufacturers, the sport is over or will morph into something less than " Formula".

I was really shocked when I heard this news, especially when Ross Braun had such great plans for the team. Its ironic that the 09 season could have found them being really competitive due to the major rule changes but I guess they couldnt hold out that long.

They also should have never done this Earth Dreams rubbish... because they ran with minimal advertising they didnt get as much funding as other teams. At the end of the day its all about money and Honda delivered relatively few major results so it had to go.

As for Jenson I'm not too bothered about because he didnt really like being at Honda anyway since that BMW fiasco and he wasnt all that great a driver either. As for Rubens I feel more sorry for him because I think he still has something to offer.

Robin.

They also should have never done this Earth Dreams rubbish... because they ran with minimal advertising they didnt get as much funding as other teams. At the end of the day its all about money and Honda delivered relatively few major results so it had to go.
Honda never could have predicted the the economic situation we're in two and a half years ago. Likewise, they weren't exactly completely under-funded: they did a tie-in with several other like-minded companies that allowed said brands to use the Honda image in return for avertising revenue.

If you want to lay the blame at someone's feet, make it Shuei Nakamoto.

Brackley is already back in the 1800's, I heard the local mayor decapitated another Force India worker today.. :(

It's really sad. Honda just seemed in real disarray and no true promise. Toyota has been slowly improving, but Honda just seems a real lame duck in F1. I still remember reading about the Williams Honda teams back in the '80s and early '90s. They just haven't shown much of anything lately. And for a guy who usually admires Honda in many aspects, this has been a poor effort by Honda of late.

I have two "theories." Either Honda's taking themselves a sabbatical (meaning Honda may re-consider F1 years from now), or they've just let go for good. The sad thing is just that they may have had a chance to maybe design a better car and put in a better effort for next season, but forget it all now.

I have no doubt Honda will return one day, they all do. It would be nice if one of the teams starting using the Mugen-Honda engines again, they were great 👍

Back