Honda to quit F1? - Now with added Brawn GP

• Thread starter darkfinal
  • 500 comments
I think you still don't get what is a production car.
To have a car on road legal tyres doesn't mean it's a production car.
I'm sorry GTR didn't do 7.19 they went faster with 7.11

I think you still don't get what is a production car.
To have a car on road legal tyres doesn't mean it's a production car.
I'm sorry GTR didn't do 7.19 they went faster with 7.11
:lol: 7:11 :lol: and i know what production car is thanks,if you got autocar a few years ago you would have seen the huge article about it,plus theres a DVD on it too.
plus
One the world’s most prestigious production car records was obliterated yesterday (28/9/05) by Michael Vergers in Radical’s extraordinary SR8. In road legal trim and riding on Dunlop Direnza tyres he lapped the infamous 13-mile Nordschleife circuit in just 6 minutes 55 seconds, knocking a massive 20 seconds off the previous best!

Radical have held the record before when Phil Bennett scorched around the loop in a Radical SR3 Turbo back in 2003, but such is the importance of the record, it soon came under attack from Europe’s biggest manufacturers and engine tuners. However none have got close the magic seven minute barrier. Until now, that is.

What if Nissan came to NUR with Xanavi Nismo GTR from SuperGT.
I think the record would be 5.55....did this time on GT4.

A 6'55 is ridiculously fast on any car, ever - and luckily, the Radical is a ridiculously fast car, producing tremendous amounts of downforce. But a 7'11? This didn't even appear in any of the regular car-news sites, and frankly, defies physics. If Nissan themselves were content with claiming a 7'29, why would you think a stock, production GT-R would beat that time by 18 seconds? This claim isn't making your others look any better...

EDIT: Also, don't mention GT4 times. Just like a real Toyota 88CV could never, ever, do a 4'30s, a SuperGT car won't lap in a 5'55s. Stephan Bellof last set the record, in a car with far more power and less weight (though on now-outdated tyres). If you're doing that sort of pissing-contests, a puny SuperGT car won't match a Peugeot LMP1 at full tilt, or even LMP2 cars.

LOL....Nissan is one of the biggest motorsports company's in the world.
They have all the records in SuperGT(R32 Skyline) wich will probaly never be broken,the R35 GTR has the record for production cars on the norscheleife.
I know we are talking about F1 but you're talking about Nissan like it's never been on a race track.

All those don't mean anything in F1. Williams barely ever touched a roadcar or non-F1 racing, and they're one of the most successful teams of all times (though they've been sinking lately). F1 is far, far more advanced than any of those sports - in fact, even when switching from 72deg to 90deg V10s, Renault actually had to hire new staff with expertise in that engine-configuration.

Nissan have zero experience building highly-strung 750HP 2.4l 90-deg pneumatic-valve V8s that would reach over 22,000RPM if regulations didn't restrict them. The also have zero experience building sub-605kg (without ballast) monocoque cars that produce literal tons of downforce. They don't have F1-spec seamless shift gearboxes, differentials, brakes (though companies will happily supply those), suspensions, tyres, diffusers and Inerters. All of those require mastery in order to become competitive.

Hey man, if you don't know the partnership of Nissan and Renault in F1 then you don't know much about F1.

What makes me suppose I should believe a newcoming member that claims things I haven't ever heard before? Or acknowledge that he knows more, while also claiming a 7'11 time on the Nurb'?

You know what we can meet in GT5prologue,i'll take a Nissan you take what ever you want and we can see what is fast.

And you're telling me online driving-contests are going to determine Nissan's superiority?

Online racing on GT5p....well they say its a real driving simulator.
Would just like to see you on the track.
I'm sure you can beat a newcoming member.

EDIT:

But you probably don't even own a PS3 since you have so much time to talk about F1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are we talking about road cars at the nurburgring and GT5.....

Online racing on GT5p....well they say its a real driving simulator.
Would just like to see you on the track.
I'm sure you can beat a newcoming member.

EDIT:

But you probably don't even own a PS3 since you have so much time to talk about F1.

Wow, what? I don't think its even worth mentioning how off topic and completely illogical this post is. Woops.

Renault had none of these things themselves. They bought the Benetton team. That's how they gained experience quickly.

It would be no different if Nissan took over the Renault operation. It's still the Benetton core team that makes it tick.

The only issue would be with the engine. That's a big issue though.

Edit. I'm posting in response to a post two pages ago!!!

Interesting...

Among the more interesting rumours regarding potential buyers of the Honda F1 team is one that puts PSA Peugeot-Citroen, the French car manufacturing giant, in the frame as an interested party.

Any sources have commented on this story and while it may seem to be far-fetched on first reading, nothing is impossible in the current state of affairs.

PSA have previously dipped a toe in the waters of F1 with unsuccessful engine supplies – notably to Mclaren, Jordan and Prost – and are a noted motor sport entity, having just secured a fifth successive World Rally Championship title – under the Citroen banner – with Sebastien Loeb at the wheel.

In addition, Peugeot have been active in the sportscar racing world, fielding Le Mans 24-hours entries and with forays into other major races in the category over the past few years.

The current problems in the automobile industry have been deftly handled by the French government who, rather than simply shoring up the business, have offered various incentive schemes, and the industry in that country is very much geared up towards the green initiatives that prevail in the sector.

In short, whole PSA have been forced to shed staff like most of the motorcar world, the opportunity to enter F1 with a viable and fully operational outfit such as that on offer from Honda - and at a very low price- may be one that the French outfit considers too good to miss.

Meanwhile, Dave Richards, of Prodrive, has not denied an interest in the Honda team, but is being very much guarded with his comments at the moment.

Which badge would you expect them to use on their potential F1 car - Citroen or Peugeot?

I'd initially say Peugeot with their Sports Prototype programmes and the fact they've already entered F1 in the past as an engine supplier. However, they may want to distance themselves from the LMP1 programme as to not overshadow it. They may also want to distance themselves from their previous dip into F1 with it being a pretty dismal affair.

Citroen on the other hand has a slightly odd-ball image but one that has a history of some fairly innovative engineering solutions. This would tie in nicely with F1's image of being a technological vanguard, especially with the new KERS rules from 2009. I know they have a successful WRC programme, but i think the two sports are different enough for one to not over shadow the other.

I would probably say Citroen. Good brand promotion and will take away the image of an AX when the word 'citroen' is pronounced.

Last edited:
take away the image of an AX when the word 'citoren' is pronounced.

That's all very well, but it's what people think when someone says "Citroën" that matters...

Some AXs are. Others are driven by humanoid toads that think that the specific model they own, usually the slowest, is fast.

Peugeot sounds cooler, but Citroen makes sense. Peugeot have their LMP program which is fairly successful but would "overlap" slightly, and while the Citroens dominated WRC with Loeb, they're very different sports...

You never know, if Dave Ricahrds and Prodrive scoop up Honda, a PSA-backed effort might go in for Toro Rosso (unless they already have a buyer).

Toro Rosso is a different deal: It's a team without a tunnel, as far as I know, or with an antiquated Minardi-grade tunnel. All their development since the Minardi days was done by the Red Bull Technologies center.

Toro Rosso is a different deal: It's a team without a tunnel, as far as I know, or with an antiquated Minardi-grade tunnel. All their development since the Minardi days was done by the Red Bull Technologies center.

Indeed, Toro Rosso is a far less tempting purchase, it won't be as cheap either.

It would be interesting to see Peugeot or Citroen make an entrance, though obviously I would much rather see Prodrive and the unlikely but still possible idea of "Aston Martin F1" which would be so awesome, with Brawn on board and no stupid Ford making idiotic management decisions, it would be what Jaguar Racing was meant to be (or at least I can dream! :lol:).

Honda to become Force Mexico?

Mexican billionaire rescues Honda F1 team - report

ROME (AFP) — Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim, the world's second richest man, has rescued the Honda Formula One team, Italian newspaper La Stampa reported on Saturday.

"The saviour has arrived: Carlos Slim, 67 years old, the second richest man in the world," said the newspaper.

"The news is not official as all the details have yet to be formalised. But two things are certain - the team has been saved and the drivers will be Jenson Button and rookie Bruno Senna in place of Rubens Barrichello."

Honda, believed to have an annual racing budget of around 400 million dollars, announced earlier this month that they were pulling out of Formula One as a result of the global financial meltdown.

La Stampa, which did not identify the source of its story, added that Bruno Senna, the nephew of former triple world champion Ayrton Senna, is sponsored by Embratel, part of Slim's Telmex group.

Honda first competed in F1 in 1964 and clocked up three Grand Prix wins, including Jenson Button's in Hungary in 2006.

Its engines were also been behind dozens of victories by stars such as Nelson Piquet, Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost.

The team finished ninth in the constructors championship this season with 14 points.

Veteran driver Barrichello achieved the team's best result with a third-place finish at Silverstone.

Honda Motor also supplied engines and other technical support to Formula One team Super Aguri, which called it quits due to financial problems in May.

Motorsport in Japan had been particularly hit by the recession with Subaru and Suzuki pulling out of the world rally championship.
Hmmm, I had my money on Dave Richards. Maybe he'll go in for Toro Rosso ...

Doesn't mean he's out - that Mexican guy is still just a rumor. The last solid reports only reported that he landed at the Brackley base, where the heliport wasn't big enough for his, so they cleared the carpark to make space. :lol:

At the same time, Richards himself doesn't have the money - he needs a backer. Perhaps said Mexican would appoint Richards as manager..

David Richards is still a possibility:

Autosport
Slim one of four speaking to Honda

By Jonathan Noble Sunday, December 28th 2008, 10:35 GMT

Honda Racing are in talks with four potential buyers including wealthy Mexican businessman Carlos Slim, autosport.com has learned, but no deal has yet been completed.

Reports emerging out of South America on Saturday suggested that Slim, ranked as the world's second richest man behind American investor Warren Buffett, had actually finalised a contract to take over Honda.

Italian newspaper La Stampa also wrote that Slim had agreed a deal that would see the team line-up on the grid in 2009 with Jenson Button and Bruno Senna as their drivers.

However, although talks are progressing well, it is understood that the situation remains unchanged from how it was just before Christmas, with public confirmation of the progress of the buyout discussions unlikely before the New Year.

Honda Racing CEO Nick Fry had told autosport.com earlier this month that there had been encouraging progress in finding a buyer.

"We have had a high level of interest in the team since Honda Motor Co. announced their withdrawal from Formula One," Fry said. "Since that time, Ross and I have been engaged in ongoing discussions with several serious potential new owners who have expressed an interest in purchasing the team."

Sources have told autosport.com that there are four parties considering getting involved - with Slim believed to be heading the running at the moment.

Although the identity of the buyers has not been confirmed, it is believed that apart from Slim they are Prodrive boss David Richards with the Kuwait-based Investment Dar Company (TID), Greek shipping magnate Achilleas Kallakis and an unidentified Swiss group.

Force India boss Vijay Mallya had also been linked with the team, but this is believed to have been purely an interest in the assets should the team have been closed and their facilities put up for sale.

Original contact between Honda Racing chiefs and Slim was made late last season, with discussions primarily based on a potential sponsorship link-up between his Telmex company and the team.

This came about through the team's interest in Senna, who is sponsored by Embratel, a Brazilian subsidiary of Telmex.

When Honda announced that it was to quit F1, the sponsorship talks changed into buyout discussions - with Slim recently making a big push to invest heavily in business expansion despite the worldwide economic slowdown.

Slim, who also owns the mobile phone company America Movil, recently increased his stake in American luxury retailers Saks to 18 percent. At the start of December his Inbursa brokerage in Mexico bought $150 million (USD) of shares in Citigroup after their price sank to levels not seen since the early 1990's.

Slim visited Honda Racing's Brackley headquarters just before Christmas, but the holiday period has put a temporary hold on discussions before talks can resume in the next week to try and sort out a deal in early January.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72581

Hmm, I'd say this Slim person has a good chance at taking it then, though I getting the feeling something is going to go wrong with that deal. I don't know why, possibly because he's a random billionaire and Richards at least has some previous F1 experience.
Whoever takes Honda though, I hope they don't do the stupid thing and fire Ross Brawn.

Latest Posts

Back