Horizon 3 raises the bar for Forza 7 to match.

• Thread starter SimTourist
  • 28 comments
New Zealand
New Zealand
MHFanatik
The more I read about Horizon 3's features the more I get excited and the more I wonder if these features will carry over to the next mainline Forza, Horizon 3 really emphasized for me just how stale Motorsport has become, essentially being the same game as we had on 360. I'm not asking for a major gameplay or direction change, but some features seen in Horizon 3 so far:
1. Blueprints - probably the most important one, the ability to create your own events, set challenges, ToD, Weather, share it with friends. This could really shake up FM7 if carried over, because the career in FM5/6 is a bit stale and this feature would be great to have. In the case of FM7 this would mean customizable championships with car classes, rules and tracks that you choose.
2. ToD/Weather - it looks absolutely fantastic in FH3 and the lighting is much better than previous versions, now I know X1 can't handle this at 60fps, but Xbox Scorpio absolutely could, so T10 needs to bring it next year as the showcase title for new Xbox. And on all tracks by the way, this would prolong the longevity of the game considerably.
3. Customization - seems like a big focus for FH3 and all the new body kits, number plates, horns, driver customization needs to be brought to FM7. I always felt Forza lacked some form of metagame within the game to involve yourself in, and something GT and other games have been doing for a while.
4. Custom music - again, a major feature for me and needs to carry over to increase the amount of fun I have with the game.
5. Auction house/storefront - buff said, people have been asking for these forever.
6. Clubs - again needs to come back into FM.

There are probably more features to be revealed for Horizon 3, so I wanna see how else they're gonna 1up T10.

1 - you are asking for ...blueprint in a laser scanned tracks environment? oh, you mean just the ability to set your list of events for others to play? blueprint is about designing a path to race mainly.
But I think that if you find FM "stale", then no matter if next game prepares for you a nice poster to come race on bathurst with my settings and my choice of cars and my rules, will spice it up for you.
maybe it'll do the opposite.

2- 60hz vs 30hz , no matter which console generation you are thinking, ALWAYS there will be be MUCH MORE you can do with half the framerate. get used to it. if forza 7 will have dynamic everything, I think will mainly depend on what they can squeeze out of xbone.
for scorpio/fm7 release, maybe you'll have a day1 VR compatibility...

3- bodykits etc we all think will be in fm. no reason to be out. these are t10 assets after all.

4- it will be a feature of operating system before fm7 launch, so no worries.

5- like 3

I think that you should probably start to appreciate turn10 more for what they are (remember, they also did the w10 pc forzatech, and @4k, not just provide tech and assets for horizon in the same timeframe), as they produce quality like clockwork, rather than trying to find things that their child co 1up's them on ;)

<...>T10 needs to bring it next year as the showcase title for new Xbox.

Heh. Too bad the Scorpio isn't a "new Xbox".

Regardless, Forza Horizon 2 introduced several features that eventually made their way in FM6. I see it as entirely possible that FM7 will draw from FH3's innovations, too.

1 - you are asking for ...blueprint in a laser scanned tracks environment? oh, you mean just the ability to set your list of events for others to play? blueprint is about designing a path to race mainly.
It's also about setting rules and regulations, selecting what cars can and can't race, as well as weather and a multitude of other things. Its not just a path selector.

2- 60hz vs 30hz , no matter which console generation you are thinking, ALWAYS there will be be MUCH MORE you can do with half the framerate. get used to it.
He's already acknowledged that.

bodykits etc we all think will be in fm. no reason to be out. these are t10 assets after all.
Well considering many kits have been getting cut each generation, it may be something to be worried about, really. I hope they widebody kits make their way over to the FM side of things though, that would be great.

I think that you should probably start to appreciate turn10 more for what they are (remember, they also did the w10 pc forzatech, and @4k, not just provide tech and assets for horizon in the same timeframe), as they produce quality like clockwork, rather than trying to find things that their child co 1up's them on ;)
You mention things like:

no reason to be out. these are t10 assets after all.

But then go on to say
as they produce quality like clockwork, rather than trying to find things that their child co 1up's them on ;)
Just seems a bit contradictory. Expecting change and innovation isn't a bad thing, especially when its going to be available in its sister brand. That's all that's being said here.

robot, you seem to miss the part where I write that if he finds forza motorsport "stale", then playing forza motorsport under my set of rules and my allowed cars and my track rotation I am not sure it will make it less stale for him.
the ability to set your own course -the primary function of blueprint, has no meaning in fm.

then you say he acknowledges the 30-60 difference, but wants dynamic tod/weather in fm, at 1080/60
well, you figure this out.
and for scorpio, microsoft just dictated how its going to be. and forza 7 will be a launch game, not 3-4 years into the new cycle. you think its going to be full dynamic on scorpio and fixed on xbox s? I dont think they'll separate the two on day 1...

bodykits: we have seen how each game benefits from the other game. about bodykits, they (Ralph) say that they have done upgrades to many cars.
that is work done. the only reason I can imagine that work done is left out in future, is if there are business contracts on the side relating to the particular work object. ie agreement to put rocket bunny kits or rotiform wheels for this single game. or, as we know from the porsche deals, that are not one-off. and even with those, we know that when they made agreement for horizon 2, they also made provision agreement for fm6, right? it was annonced soon after the h2 news.
so I really doubt that rocket bunny/rotiform/etc has a more difficult handler than porsche does...

robot, you seem to miss the part where I write that if he finds forza motorsport "stale", then playing forza motorsport under my set of rules and my allowed cars and my track rotation I am not sure it will make it less stale for him.
the ability to set your own course -the primary function of blueprint, has no meaning in fm.
I dont know, it definitely will for me. I miss the races of FM4 that where basically allowing you to use any car that was available in A, C, B or whatever you wanted. It was one of the Championship races for a full class, and had a whole range of cars. When that was gone from FM5, I was a bit sad. It was the first group of races I aimed for. If I can recreate those types of races, then it will do all kinds of good to add fun for me.

However, you're basically telling him how you feel, when he's expressing something that would quite literally make it less stale for him.

then you say he acknowledges the 30-60 difference, but wants dynamic tod/weather in fm, at 1080/60
well, you figure this out.
He did acknowledge it, and then he also mentioned that while it will not be possible on this current hardware, but maybe the Scorpio with its vastly superior specs can handle it.

and for scorpio, microsoft just dictated how its going to be. and forza 7 will be a launch game, not 3-4 years into the new cycle. you think its going to be full dynamic on scorpio and fixed on xbox s? I dont think they'll separate the two on day 1...
And that's a part I disagree with in his sentence, I was just stating that he acknowledged that it cant be done on current hardware. I for one don't want to see the Scorpio to be aimed for, while the base gets the crap end of the stick.

bodykits: we have seen how each game benefits from the other game. about bodykits, they (Ralph) say that they have done upgrades to many cars.
that is work done. the only reason I can imagine that work done is left out in future, is if there are business contracts on the side relating to the particular work object
Yes, and like you said, its likely contracts that dried up. That means its possible it can happen, and it has happened in the past so its not like what he said is unwarranted. I'm sure they'd do their best to keep this new content flowing though, but still, like I said, content has been removed in the past.

for scorpio, the only thing I am sure of, after watching chris tector on the reveal video, is that forza 7 will be 4k/60 on new machine, day 1.
as I wrote above, in my opinion if it will have dynamics (tod/weather) or not, it more has to do with what more they can squeeze out of my old xbone until that time.

It's nice that the spin off title gets to innovate the year before they add it to the main game.

You just know 7 will be that much better now Horizon 3 has raised the bar again.

Reading the negativity that surrounds GT Sport, you just don't get that with this latest Horizon. It's been so positive. Even with H2 before release, actually.

VXR
It's nice that the spin off title gets to innovate the year before they add it to the main game.

You just know 7 will be that much better now Horizon 3 has raised the bar again.

Reading the negativity that surrounds GT Sport, you just don't get that with this latest Horizon. It's been so positive. Even with H2 before release, actually.
There's a reason it got "Best In Show 2016" at E3, along with a slew of other awards, eh? ;)
For sure, this game will be THE definitive Horizon experience.

so I really doubt that rocket bunny/rotiform/etc has a more difficult handler than porsche does...

If you keep in mind how big Forza is in the world of motorsports (sponsoring the 24h of Le Mans and having its brand on several racecars), and how small those brands you mentioned are, I don't think that it'd be a problem extending any licensing agreement indefinitely.

I dont know, it definitely will for me. I miss the races of FM4 that where basically allowing you to use any car that was available in A, C, B or whatever you wanted. It was one of the Championship races for a full class, and had a whole range of cars. When that was gone from FM5, I was a bit sad. It was the first group of races I aimed for. If I can recreate those types of races, then it will do all kinds of good to add fun for me.

Agreed.

I skipped FM5 but I'm finding FM6's career to be too restrictive. The option to pick what events you want to do like in FM4 isn't there. Everything other than Showcases is linear. I also can't stand the podium requirement. It means that I can't enjoy a difficult race for the sake of it. I have to win, no matter what or else the game won't let me do anything else. It just takes away from the fun.

I like how FM4's career was designed as well. In World Tour, you just had to finish the race to progress and the Event List was where getting 1st place counted towards completion. It was a nice balance. I hope FM7 will have an open campaign like that, along with an event creator system we're getting in Horizon 3.

Now that I think of it...

We know we will be getting indipendently-designed, Forza-branded bodykits. I wonder what style will they go for? Will there be different bodykits for Horizon & Motorsport, if FM7 will retain bodykits? Will the greater track width change the car handling characteristics?

Bodykits could actually be exciting not just for the "GIB S14" drift weeaboo crowd and/or for the occasional stanced car photoshoot, but also for the distinguished racing gentleman. Imagine being able to turn this...

alfa-romeo-giulia-gt.jpg

Into this.

alfa-1750_2263991b.jpg

And then re-working the engine, and finally bringing your faux-GTAm to the Norschleife for a spin.

Will there be different bodykits for Horizon & Motorsport, if FM7 will retain bodykits?
I watched a stream -I think it was on twitch- where brian eckberg (t10 cm) clearly stated that "we are now able to bring to forza community one of the most requested things: bodykits"
so from this I take that bodykits are to stay in the franchise.
I hope that they will be expanded to more cars and more brands (if they go that way). I do know/predict that some particular pieces are bound to get lots of exposure, so I guess this will reconfirm t10/pg choices.
so its looking good in my book

If widebody kits don't affect the PI level thanks to the wider track, I'd be a little worried about the underlying engine, in all honest. I also assume there will be a weight penalty.
like other aero parts do, I wouldnt worry much about that.

I wonder if flat floors will make a return. And rember when upgraded exhaust use to affect the balance of the car?

I find 30fps arguments specious for Horizon 3.

Windows 10. Will probably be the first Horizon I miss on Xbox.

Assuming they don't screw up wheel support on PC, this is where those of us with far too expensive gaming PCs will be getting FH3. Looking forward to it :)

I'm not sure what bar can F7 attain, compared to FH3. It's completely different to FH3.
Maybe F7 would have to include full dirt circuits, point to point or Rally X. Maybe street circuits like Albert Park, Adelaide or Baltimore need to be added. I don't know, is F7 going to include free roam along with circuit racing?

F6 for me, is missing One Make and custom Championship options. I'd like to string 4-5 races without jumping out and setting things up again.

Assuming they don't screw up wheel support on PC, this is where those of us with far too expensive gaming PCs will be getting FH3. Looking forward to it :)
Well if this game had the fortune of the rest of online pc games (cheating-hacking-etc), still the console version would be much better for everything minus gfx
Being in this hardlocked ms environment (hack-free for now) is what makes your comment sensible.

Maybe F7 would have to include full dirt circuits, point to point or Rally X.

I would like to see Rally racing come to FM7, Seeing as the Top Gear test track now uses a pavement/dirt mix Rally-Cross track for their celebrity, guest it would be cool to get that variant of the track in FM7. I would like to see a "Player in a Rally-Cross car" Event built into the game. A 1 lap timed run of the Top Gear Rally-Cross track in the Rally-Cross Mini.

I would also love a "Player In A Reasonably Priced Car" Event with the old Astra Techline on the classic Top Gear Test Track route. Same as the Mini Rally-Cross thing, 1 Lap timed race with online leaderboards to see who is really the fastest player. Maybe they could also bring back all the old Reasonably priced cars as well. Would be awesome if they had separate leaderboards for dry and wet laps.

Possibility Forza 7 will have off road tracks?

One can wish. Otherwise, we end up with awkward cars like the GRC Hyundai and Fast & Furious Pro 2 Charger that don't work on road courses and are only useful for messing around.

I just want the Dirtfish GRC course and a couple cars...

I think whilst off road racing would be a great addition to the motorsports series, they can't focus on it above all else and ultimately people will just get upset the xyz off road series isn't represented. I would like to see when the horizon formula gets old for playground to do a dedicated rally, rally cross, off road forza.

As for Forza 7, I think what it can take from Horizon 3 is quite obvious in widebody kits and having more of them, particularly race car conversions could become a lot more prevalent. Be a bit braver and have more unbranded Forza kits for a wider range of cars.

I also believe that Forza 7 is where we should be getting dynamic weather and time from Horizon. Looking at hkw much work went into the rolling cloud system and the new rain effects it would be a shame if Motorsport missed out on this again.

Finally, the event customisation options from the blueprint system. From having complete control of the classes to being able to specify each individual car and class. I think this is arguably the most essential component forza 7 needs to adopt.

Additional things which aren't essential but would make it almost unmissable:

Not forcing specific PI ratings in races. Horizon 2 and 3 match the AI PI ratings yo your car. Not everyone wants to have to tune the cars, I love driving then stock and in would equally like to race then stock like I can in Horizon.

Bucket list/showcase events. Similar to the class creation for earlier but allowing us to create more showcase events like the ones in FM6. Our own endurance events, autocross, spec racing and so on and being able to share them with friends like we can with the bucket lists.

The event system of FH3 needs to be in FM7. That is all I ask for. Or maybe just make it like FM4 were there was an option to disable restrictions. I am not saying this because I want to win races easily, but because I feel in FM6 there are a lot of cars that are either too powerful or too underpowered to compete in specific races.

I personally don't like to modify my cars beyond the point when they don't feel like the car that they originally are. Or even less, handicap them.

There are a number of things that Forza Horizon 3 does that I would like to see ported over to or expanded upon in "Forza Motorsport 7":

• The Storefront
  • The Auction House
  • Championships in Single Player
  • Single Player races where the Drivatars use cars similar to whatever PI your current car is set to.
  • Co-op Campaign
  • The rate at which you earn CR (ignoring exploits)
  • Bonuses for Clean Racing
  • Clubs

This is a copy of a post I made on the official forums, merely sharing it here so that I can keep track of it when the next Motorsport title is announced:

For the past month or so I have been thinking about the next Forza Motorsport title, playing other games and making note of various features that I would like to see in future titles.

Working in the games industry myself I am fully aware that it will not be possible to implement all of these for various reasons (budget, manpower, licensing, return on investment etc.) but I will suggest them nonetheless. Hopefully a few of these will make their way into the next title.

• Where possible I have quoted a game (in brackets) that contains an example of such a feature, along with a link to a screenshot/footage if available.
  • [h]Items marked in yellow[/h] are ones that are critical to my own personal future enjoyment of the Forza Motorsport franchise.
  • Each item has a [_] checkbox attached. As information about the next Forza Motorsport title becomes available I will update this list and mark off any items which are confirmed to exist in said game.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
-PJ

----------

Single Player Campaign

• [h][_][/h] Co-Op Campaign (Forza Horizon 3)
  • [_] Ability to "Blueprint" Single-Player events and take part in custom Single Player events created by others. (Forza Horizon 3)
  • [_] License Tests (Gran Turismo 4)
  • [_] Career progression unlocked via a "Star System". (Gran Turismo 6)
  • [_] Multi-race Championships with point standings. (Forza Horizon 3)
  • [_] Driving Missions (Gran Turismo 4)
  • [_] Events tied to specific manufacturers, drivetrains and regions. (Gran Turismo 4)

----------

Single Player Free Play

• [_] Ability to select cars used by individual Drivatars.
  • [_] Ability to allow Drivatars to use cars from your Garage.

----------

Additional Single Player Features

• [h][_][/h] Racing Challenges, teaching the fundamentals of how to overtake, defend and race cleanly. (Gran Turismo Sport)
  • [_] Driving Tutorial videos (DiRT Rally)
  • [_] Painting Tutorial videos
  • [_] Tuning Tutorial videos

----------

Tracks / Environment

• [_] Point-to-Point stages (Forza Motorsport 4)
  • [_] Off-Road courses/stages (Gran Turismo 6)
  • [_] Dynamic Time of Day (F1 2016)
  • [_] Dynamic Weather (F1 2016)
  • [_] DLC tracks available to all players (Gran Turismo 6)

----------

Cars

• [_] Ability to categorise owned cars into custom groups, and to "bring groups to front". (Forza Motorsport 4)
  • [_] Ability to drive convertible cars "with the roof down".
  • [_] Ability to view detailed car specs without having to "get in to the car". (Gran Turismo 6)
  • [_] Key components (engine, chassis, oil etc.) deteriorate over time and can be maintained/restored. (Gran Turismo 6)
  • [_] Ability to buy "used cars" at a lower price than new versions. (Gran Turismo 4)
  • [_] Ability to sell cars "back to the game", and have them appear in the "used cars" buylists of other players.
  • [_] Ability to add license plates. (Forza Horizon 3)

----------

Photo Mode

• [_] Increase height limit on Photo Mode camera to 4.0m/12ft.
  • [_] Ability to save photos to USB.
  • [_] Ability to save photos at 4K resolution.
  • [_] Ability to save preset filter settings.
  • [_] Ability to use preset "high camera locations" around a circuit in addition to the standard camera controls. (Gran Turismo 6)
  • [_] Ability to take photos of cars in pre-set, non-driveable locations. (Gran Turismo Sport)
  • [_] Ability to remove car damage when taking a photo. (Forza Horizon 3)
  • [_] Ability to remove the driver from a car when taking a photo.
  • [_] Ability to play a slideshow of saved photos. (Gran Turismo 4)

----------

Livery Editor

• [h][_][/h] Ability to import Designs and Vinyl Groups from Forza Motorsport 6 and Forza Horizon 3.
  • [h][_][/h] Ability to set usage rights when sharing a design or vinyl group.
    Examples include "allowing others to edit and re-publish shared content", "allow others to share content on Auction House", "do not allow content to be edited or re-published".
  • [_] Ability to categorise saved Vinyl Groups into folders.
  • [_] Ability to view saved Vinyl Groups in a grid layout. (Gran Turismo Sport)
  • [_] Ability to paint cars in a plain studio with neutral lighting (Gran Turismo Sport)
  • [_] Ability to create and paint windshield banners.
  • [_] Ability to paint on side/rear windows.
  • [_] Ability to mirror specific layers or groups, both horizontally and vertically.
  • [_] Ability to paint on top of carbon fibre surfaces.
  • [_] Ability to save colours to a swatches pallette.
  • [_] Additional typefaces/fonts, such as DIN Pro, Futura Bold and Gotham.

----------

Auction House

• [_] Add Auction House (Forza Horizon 3)
  • [_] Allow for cars to be set to "Buyout Only".
  • [_] Ability to list auctions with a miminum bid of 100 CR.
  • [_] Ability to list auctions without a buyout price.
  • [_] Ability to list auctions with a minimum buyout of 100 CR.

----------

Storefront & User-Created Content

• [h][_][/h] Add Storefront (Forza Horizon 3)
  • [_] Add Storefront user search menu.
  • [_] Show number of downloads alongside each item in search results and Recommended Designs/Tunes. (Forza Motorsport 4)
  • [_] Show descriptions alongside each item.
  • [_] Add ability to filter for content created by "Legendary painter", "Elite Tuner" etc.
  • [_] Add ability to sort search results and Recommended Tunes/Designs by Popularity, Downloads etc.
  • [_] Add "Featured Content" area to show content from all users that has been selected as a Featured Item. (Forza Motorsport 4)
  • [_] Add UI icon to show if a selected item can be edited or re-published.
  • [_] Add UI icon to show if a selected Tune has been used to set a high leaderboard position, such as Top 100, Top 1% etc.

----------

Leaderboards

• [_] Provide Leaderboard API so that community users can create websites/apps to look up leaderboards outside of the game. (Forza Motorsport 5)
  • [_] Compile all Leaderboard times for a class into an "Overall Position", showing a user's combined laptimes for all tracks. (Forza Motorsport 4)
  • [_] Allow for leaderboards to be viewed on Forzamotorsport.net and/or Forza Hub. (Forza Motorsport 5)
  • [_] Ability to download tunes directly from leaderboards. (Forza Motorsport 6)
  • [_] Add UI icon to show if a user set a laptime using a Controller, Steering Wheel or Keyboard.
  • [_] Add offline-based "local leaderboards" where a user can compare their personal best times at a circuit in multiple cars. (Forza Motorsport 2)
  • [_] Add ability to set a Leaderboard time as a Rival, and use the exact same car/setup to challenge them.

----------

Multiplayer

• [h][_][/h] Add corner-cutting system to punish users that repeatedly cut corners. (F1 2016)
  • [h][_][/h] Add "illegal overtake" system to inform users that they must give back positions gained by contact or corner-cutting. (F1 2016)
  • [h][_][/h] Automatically and immediately ghost any driver that makes contact with another car or object at a force above 2G.
  • [h][_][/h] Automatically and immediately ghost any driver that is facing the wrong way.
  • [h][_][/h] Add UI icon in lobbies to show if a user has received a "Vote to Kick". (DiRT Rally)
  • [h][_][/h] Kick a user if they have received at least 5 "Kick Votes" in a room with 16 or fewer players, or 8 votes if in a room with 17-24 players.
  • [h][_][/h] Add a "Lobby Browser" to show and filter all joinable user-created lobbies in a list. (Gran Turismo 6)
  • [h][_][/h] Add "Expert Hopper Lobbies" which require a minimum Trueskill Rating and minimum Driver Level to compete in. Damage would be enabled along with any penalty systems in place.
  • [h][_][/h] Add "Competitive Hopper Lobbies" where users can increase or decrease their ranking by finishing races. (Rocket League)
  • [_] Add post-race commemorations to show notable feats achieved by players. Examples could include "Fastest Lap", "Most Overtakes", "Cleanest Racer", "Most Clean Laps" etc. (Overwatch)
  • [_] Add text chat to Private Lobbies (Gran Turismo 6)
  • [_] Add ability to create Practice/Qualifying sessions Multiplayer Lobbies (Gran Turismo 6).
  • [_] Add ability to join a Practice/Qualifying session in progress and start in the Pit Lane (Gran Turismo 6)
  • [_] Add ability to tune a car while in a lobby. (Gran Turismo 6)
  • [_] Award additional XP for Clean Racing. (Forza Horizon 3)
  • [_] Give each driver a "Skill Rating" calculated based on their average finishing position in their 10 most recent Multiplayer Races, and show this rating in Lobbies.
  • [_] Sort starting grids in Hoppers based on "Skill Rating", with higher-rated drivers at the front.
  • [_] Allow users to save and load Lobby Settings as preset files. (Forza Motorsport 4)
  • [_] Allow users to download the Livery or Tune of another racer directly from the Lobby screen. (Forza Motorsport 6)

----------

Clubs & Other Community Features

• [_] Add Clubs (Forza Horizon 3)
  • [_] Allow users to share cars to a Club Garage which can be used by all club members. (Forza Motorsport 4)
  • [_] Allow users to create Private Lobbies limited to Club Members, which show up on the Club's Lobby page (Gran Turismo 6)
  • [_] Allow users to create and maintain Driver Profiles where they can show off their racing accomplishments, photos and favourite cars. (Gran Turismo 6)
  • [_] Implement a Timeline feature where users can keep updated on the activity of their Friends. (Gran Turismo 6)

----------

Spectating & Replays

• [_] Show Race UI such as position, laptimes etc. when viewing a Replay or spectating a race. (Gran Turismo 6)
  • [_] Ability to view Live Timing on a Replay or when spectating a race. (Gran Turismo 6)

----------

Other Features

• [_] Ability to analyse Telemetry Data outside of a race. (Gran Turismo 6)
  • [_] Ability to export Telemetry Data to USB in a format readable by MoTeC. (Gran Turismo 6)

----------

Business Model

• [_] Provide a "Complete Edition" of the game that covers the cost of all future DLC for the game's lifetime.
  • [_] Extend "early release access" to 14 days ahead of retail release for Complete Edition users.
  • [_] Allow VIP users to play the game 7 days before release.

Back