Horsepower and such.

I drift my 300zx at 638bhp. I like to feather the throttle and not go flat out all the time like you have to do with 300bhp or less.

Grow up guys and girls. Let's have a discussion without saying someone's opinion is wrong... Opinion is opinion and no one here is perfect at drifting or anything drifting related.

GTV stated he never drifted before. How, does he know what drifting is about then? I mean... I've never fired a gun before... I'm not going to tell someone else how to do it, right? That would just be very hypocritical.

True. That's fair enough.

It's just someone's too crap in this thread that she can't let non-drifters express their own opinion in this thread about drifting cars in GT5, whoever the hell she is anyway...

1: You never drifted a car in GT5. Some of us have for over 3 years. Why do you think your opinion is THAT important?

2: Why does this

"Which makes you one of the drifters I don't like to see drifting. Drifting is NOT about speed, it's about car control. The more HP/Torque, and more wheelspin makes you have more control."

offend you so much if you don't care about my opinion anyway?

3: The fact you don't know me says more about you, than it does about me. ;)

I have a 4 Rotor 26B 1,000HP. The only track it likes is Suzuka :lol:. The more power your going to have and you have a crappy tune the more control you will need to have, For Wheel users more counter steer, better throttle. Honestly i think 400-600HP is perfect HP.

*Sigh*
deleted

I normally don't step into things but I think it's just plain rude that you can just talk to anyone like that.

Gonales knows what she is on about, I've drifted with her abit a while ago before I quit GT5 and she is a great drifter and does really know her stuff.

But on the real topic of this thread, there is no such thing as too much power or too little power.

It all really depends on what your driving style is, like I use to drift anything from 150 to 1000hp cars but for me and my driving style 600 to 800hp was perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
The petty arguing can stop now, GTV0819 / Gonales.

Back to the topic without the insults.

I have been drifting ever since I could drive a car, does that counts :lol:? While in game, I have been doing it since PSX days - Side by Side, then PS2 - Battle Gear series, D1 GP ( have both games ) - my record for survival drift battle is at around 30 :cool: beaten many great AI drifter in game, used clutch kick like a boss. Still occasionally plays PS2 D1 GP to this day - favourite track is Ebisu and Sekia Hills.

Power is irrelevant if you can handle it :)

I have been drifting ever since I could drive a car, does that counts :lol:? While in game, I have been doing it since PSX days - Side by Side, then PS2 - Battle Gear series, D1 GP ( have both games ) - my record for survival drift battle is at around 30 :cool: beaten many great AI drifter in game, used clutch kick like a boss. Still occasionally plays PS2 D1 GP to this day - favourite track is Ebisu and Sekia Hills.

Why havnt we drifted together yet :sly:

From a Drifter point of view who drifting on a wheel + DS3 for almost 4 years now.. I can tell you if you have the experience to get high hp, You'll need more car control, Throttle Control, More Counter Steer etc.

Ridox2JZGTE

TheKitten

From a Drifter point of view who drifting on a wheel + DS3 for almost 4 years now.. I can tell you if you have the experience to get high hp, You'll need more car control, Throttle Control, More Counter Steer etc.
Good friends, even in the Hybrid Trading Thread. :)

You never asked me :lol: I mainly cruise or race online, drifting mainly offline or in my own lounge, I had enough with public drift lobbies since 2 years ago.

I made 2 more drift cars recently, V8 GT86 from NASCAR engine with 4 speed from it and 900+HP, Roadster NC with quad rotor 750-850HP, they are awesome to drift. My Mad Mike Lexus Quad Rotor 1000HP drift replica with comfort soft, I took it in a drift lobby once, people in lobby hated it- says I'm a noob with comfort soft and big power, who cares, I had fun :lol: The sound it makes scares people behind me :sly:

My only gripe in GT is why no clutch kick, where is the clutch button ... PS2 D1 GP has it and it rocks.

@GTV : How about a diesel drift car ? You game ?

My only gripe in GT is why no clutch kick, where is the clutch button ... PS2 D1 GP has it and it rocks.

I don't know a lot about 'normal' racing, and the techniques involved. I doubt clutch kicking is one of them though? Considering GT5 is still a racing simulator, and was never intended for drifting: I think that's the reason why there is no such button. :)

I don't know a lot about 'normal' racing, and the techniques involved. I doubt clutch kicking is one of them though? Considering GT5 is still a racing simulator, and was never intended for drifting: I think that's the reason why there is no such button. :)

TOCA Race Driver in PS2 have clutch button, and it was pure racing game, so yeah :) GT should have clutch button for controller, not only on certain wheels like G27 or T500. Having a clutch is very handy even in a race or time trial :) When you want to cut power from the engine in certain condition, or shift more realistically, clutch is crucial. Unlike current GT5 robotic auto clutch that shift gears almost in an instant:crazy: when using controller. Doing burnouts, driving maneuvers, or when correcting oversteer, all would be better with the ability to use the clutch freely.

TOCA Race Driver in PS2 have clutch button, and it was pure racing game, so yeah :) GT should have clutch button for controller, not only on certain wheels like G27 or T500. Having a clutch is very handy even in a race or time trial :) When you want to cut power from the engine in certain condition, or shift more realistically, clutch is crucial. Unlike current GT5 robotic auto clutch that shift gears almost in an instant:crazy: when using controller. Doing burnouts, driving maneuvers, or when correcting oversteer, all would be better with the ability to use the clutch freely.

There is one :lol: , Just thats its a very badly put in. Press Gas release tap the e-brake something like that.

very useful for lower hp cars whether drift or time attack.

How the hell can you tell me what is too much hp????????????????????? Sit back. I ain't going to listen to none of you. I can tandem both, and in this game I'll do what I want and drift what I want whether I be called noob or whatever. Because at the end if the day, I never asked you to tandem with me. Lol. "300hp is more than enough" Pshh.
Agreed. More power allows for me to be more consistent. Plenty of people know that I know how to run door to door consistently lap after lap reverse entries and huge angle and I usually run no less than 650hp. Anything less and I wouldn't be able to do what I do. The power enables me to push the car harder for more angle and control than anyone else.

GTV stated he never drifted before. How, does he know what drifting is about then? I mean... I've never fired a gun before... I'm not going to tell someone else how to do it, right? That would just be very hypocritical. 1: You never drifted a car in GT5. Some of us have for over 3 years. Why do you think your opinion is THAT important? 2: Why does this "Which makes you one of the drifters I don't like to see drifting. Drifting is NOT about speed, it's about car control. The more HP/Torque, and more wheelspin makes you have more control." offend you so much if you don't care about my opinion anyway? 3: The fact you don't know me says more about you, than it does about me. ;)
True that.

Considering my S14 had 130whp, that foot to the floor mentality carried over to gt.

With that being said, 300hp...foot to the floor. 600hp, foot to the floor.

Drive with what suits you and let others do the same. I do hate excessive wheelspin though.

Considering my S14 had 130whp, that foot to the floor mentality carried over to gt.

With that being said, 300hp...foot to the floor. 600hp, foot to the floor.

Drive with what suits you and let others do the same. I do hate excessive wheelspin though.

I do hate excessive traction, which is only good for speed, and not control. :)

Just throwin my preference in here but I tend to linger around 400-500 hp very rarely topping 520hp. I won't say it does or doesn't have a better control or what not. I tune so that I can burn through the majority of my gears in a straight line i.e. 1st -5th in a 6spd. I do have one Viper ACR with over 1000hp but it's just an animal, the slightest hint of traction and you're going to fast to make your turn in. My favorite cars have between 400 and 500hp. Part of being a good driver is knowing your limit and trying to get as close to that limit and pushing it. Knowing what kind of power you can handle is part of knowing your limit.

It really doesn't matter what car you drive, horse power, drive train, ect. It is a matter how you as the driver can drive the car.

I hear a lot of people say "You need to use this type of car for it to be a drift car" or "You have to use this type of LSD settings for it to be a drift car". I am tired of this type of misconception of what a drift car really is.

What's ironic about these types of comments is that they are either misleading or just plain wrong in general. Some people (even some that are very good friends of mine) go on about lock differentials being what they use in real life competitions like Formula Drift or D1GP, when actually they do not use that type of differential. In fact, most of those drivers use a 2 Way differential, just depends on the driver's style.

Sorry if I am sounding like I am on a rant, which isn't my intention, I am just so sick of hearing everyone telling others what they should be driving.

I miss the old days where no one cared what car you wanted to use as long as you could control it. Sorry to say this, but I blame Formula Drift and D1GP for most of this. Honestly I could care less about either or, I wasn't inspired by drifting from them. With that said I am going to drive whatever I want no matter what anyone says.

If I want to drive a car with a 1000+ HP, great that's my style. If I want to drive a stock car, great that's my style.

Drifting is all about style, nothing else. Let's leave it at that.

Last edited:
Well said, Lock. Whether you can drift an AE86, EK Civic, Bugatti Veyron, or even a Peugeot 908 :sly:, you can drift. I really don't care anymore what people drive, as long as they don't ruin my, or anyone else's, fun.

It really doesn't matter what car you drive, horse power, drive train, ect. It is a matter how you as the driver can drive the car.

I hear a lot of people say "You need to use this type of car for it to be a drift car" or "You have to use this type of LSD settings for it to be a drift car". I am tired of this type of misconception of what a drift car really is.

What's ironic about these types of comments is that they are either misleading or just plain wrong in general. Some people (even some that are very good friends of mine) go on about lock differentials being what they use in real life competitions like Formula Drift or D1GP, when actually they do not use that type of differential. In fact, most of those drivers use a 2 Way differential, just depends on the driver's style.

Sorry if I am sounding like I am on a rant, which isn't my intention, I am just so sick of hearing everyone telling others what they should be driving.

I miss the old days where no one cared what car you wanted to use as long as you could control it. Sorry to say this, but I blame Formula Drift and D1GP for most of this. Honestly I could care less about either or, I wasn't inspired by drifting from them. With that said I am going to drive whatever I want no matter what anyone says.

If I want to drive a car with a 1000+ HP, great that's my style. If I want to drive a stock car, great that's my style.

Drifting is all about style, nothing else. Let's leave it at that.
Apparently respecting someones drifting style is quite difficult for some. Respect.

I'm use to low-powered cars (AE86 in particular especially Ueo's special 180ps 11k RPM Tomei Powered 16v AE92 Kouki Base Redtop 4AGE). I prefer something old school because drifting nowadays is just getting out of hand (personal preference) with the crazy high HP cars and reverse entries.

^ This is my thought process. I get tired of seeing all the Amemiya (forgive my ignorance of spelling) and pre built tuner cars and to some extent the S15's and new "cool" cars to drift, or in most cases try to drift. I got tired of it so I built a couple "drift" oddballs, I quote mark it because they're technically AWD but almost no power ever reaches the ground in a usable manner up front. It's not often you see a Minivan or an Element sliding outside of a mall parkinglot.

Depends on the car in question and how much grip it has naturally. I love my euros so if I'm in an M3 or SLS/SLR with all that grip I feel the need to run it max to milk the wheelspin, but in a 330i or 120i/120d I'm at 315 and 240 respectively (the latter with mid turbo on both). Lately I'm really enjoying the hell out of an R8 LMS (not exactly appropriate but oh well, neither is a GT1 Turbo) in which I can fry the tires to chase slower cars or manage the throttle a little more to put the pressure on ZR1s and ACRs. Comfort Hard and no driving aids at all regardless of power and grip.

Put me in the "Under 300" range. I love cars like the 73 Skyline, and when I want lots of wheel spin I'll go for my G4. 156Hp, but it doesn't weigh anything. Spins tires so easy XD

I need to update my (rather stupid) response with a bit of a change. I have practiced a lot with my garage of drifting cars recently. I now find that it's not a matter of 'Horsepower' at all. It's entirely down to the power to weight ratio and the natural grip of the car. For a heavy car, I'll run a 2.7 - 2.8 Kg/Hp ratio and for light cars, I'll go for 3.0Kg/Hp.

This means that instead of just picking cars that have the right horsepower when maxed out, I'm specifically tuning my cars to match their weight and grip. So I'm not a guy who says "under 300 only" anymore. Now, I'm a guy who says "around 3.0Kg/Hp"

That doesn't mean that I can't drift cars that don't meet that requirement. It just means that cars that have a 3.0Kg/Hp ratio are my favorite so far.

Since what I've said is pure opinion, I would love to hear yours!

Last edited:
Back