Horsepower and such.

I need to update my (rather stupid) response with a bit of a change. I have practiced a lot with my garage of drifting cars recently. I now find that it's not a matter of 'Horsepower' at all. It's entirely down to the power to weight ratio and the natural grip of the car. For a heavy car, I'll run a 2.7 - 2.8 Kg/Hp ratio and for light cars, I'll go for 3.0Kg/Hp.

This means that instead of just picking cars that have the right horsepower when maxed out, I'm specifically tuning my cars to match their weight and grip. So I'm not a guy who says "under 300 only" anymore. Now, I'm a guy who says "around 3.0Kg/Hp"

That doesn't mean that I can't drift cars that don't meet that requirement. It just means that cars that have a 3.0Kg/Hp ratio are my favorite so far.

Since what I've said is pure opinion, I would love to hear yours!

I partially agree with this, mostly because of the highlighted part. For example: Isho, Decoy and me have gotten busy with our Efini's, and it was amazing. Frankly, it looks very much alike compared to a Spirit R, and even though a Spirit R has MORE power than the Efini, it has a lot more traction. Which is why I very much dislike the Spirit R, and love the Efini.

My conclusion: Horsepower, weight and all that does matter, but only a fraction compared to the 'programmed' grip levels of the car itself.

Good cars: S13, S14, 350Z, Efini, and a couple of others.

Bad cars: Challenger, Camaro ('10 premium), Honda NSX, BMW M5, and so on. (I know I will get flamed for that list, but oh well).

My opinion: Drifting is not about speed. Yes, speed is a factor in competitions, but... I won the first round in Drift Bash, in the Silver Kouki I was driving then. And ask people, it was horribly slow.

Drifting is about fun, and the less grip, the more 'adaptable' a car is.

Its down to prefence, I can go out at Tsukuba with my 200hp VW Bus or my 400hp FC Rx-7 or my 500hp FC Rx-7, HP doesn't come into it for me

Back