Horsepower and such.

United States
NEW YAWK
D1Spirit_CRUSHER
What is your thoughts on how much HP your drift machine has? I find most people like to have somewhere between 500-800 hp. Which is fine and dandy! But in the hands of somebody who is not so.... Educated in the art of drifting (what else can you call a newb with out being rude?) It's spin out city maaaan. Nothing more than obstacles to avoid when your ripping your line.

I feel that lower HP does the job just fine, I'm faster than the average drifter staying (slower than you drift gods teams, MCR, and RSM to name a couple favorites) in the 300-350 with special attention paid to my torques as well. Any drifter worth the air their breathing know's how important they are.

Really though with lower HP cars you can really put some ass into it, your not fighting so hard to keep from spinning out. Try knocking off like 200 hp, and actually enter the turns at like 90! rather than 60. Im tired of running into you guys :P

Having too much HP and torque will eventually lead to wheelspin in most cars, if not all, which is kinda disappointing. What I just do is upshift the tranny when it occurs to my car.

I like the 3-400 range, it looks way smoother than with a 700bhp monster.
I also find it too easy with too much horsepower, as you can save yourself in almost any situation with a blip on the throttle (which looks rather ugly). With a 300bhp car, however, you must think ahead and be smoother in your entries/transitions.

I like to think 550 HP is probably the most you should use, depending on the vehicle and track of course. Apart from one, all my drift cars are 500 hp or lower and most are at 300-400. Mainly DS3 users have higher HP, just from my previous experience of using one. I guess because of the wheel twitchiness and less accurate nature.

My main drifter is a 400 HP S14. If it can easily go door to door with everyone else, then what's the point adding more power? Unless we use more grippy tyre compounds, high horsepower and torque isn't as necessary. It's like what Richard Hammond once said: "It's not how many horses you have, it's how you deploy them" :lol:

It depends on the car weight. For example, I run my MK3 at 510 HP, but my Supra MK4 runs between 480-590 depending from the track I'm in. Some tracks feel better with less power (Meihan), but others feel better with more (Cape Ring).
800 HP isn't needed at all, it will make you less smooth.
As a friend of mine said, more than 500 HP is just too much wheelspin ;)

Having too much HP and torque will eventually lead to wheelspin in most cars, if not all, which is kinda disappointing. What I just do is upshift the tranny when it occurs to my car.

Which makes you one of the drifters I don't like to see drifting. Drifting is NOT about speed, it's about car control. The more HP/Torque, and more wheelspin makes you have more control.

I like the 3-400 range, it looks way smoother than with a 700bhp monster.
I also find it too easy with too much horsepower, as you can save yourself in almost any situation with a blip on the throttle (which looks rather ugly). With a 300bhp car, however, you must think ahead and be smoother in your entries/transitions.

Smoothness has nothing to do with HP/Torque, it's all down to the person driving.

It depends on the car weight. For example, I run my MK3 at 510 HP, but my Supra MK4 runs between 480-590 depending from the track I'm in. Some tracks feel better with less power (Meihan), but others feel better with more (Cape Ring).
800 HP isn't needed at all, it will make you less smooth.
As a friend of mine said, more than 500 HP is just too much wheelspin ;)

Wrong on both occasions. Weight isn't the factor thats most decisive, nor does the excessive HP make you less smooth.

Traction people. TRACTION is what it is all about in drifting. More traction, means more speed. But less control. Which makes me somebody that never drifts with a lot of traction. Which is the way it should be.

GreazyTee
Wow drift goddess lol.

Yeah, I was suprised to see that. I usually drift lower hp cars, but once in awhile I'll turn the knob to 11 and drift 800+. It really depends on who I'm drifting with.

I can run smooth in anything. Rather it be my 200HP AE86 or my 800hp Viper GT-S. And I'm on a DS3 too. Its all about the level of the driver and skill. Sure you don't HAVE to use high HP its a choice. I know people that have said they hate any drift cars thats over 450hp. Thats their choice. They kill in there 450hp or less cars.

While others like 800 or 900hp do just as well. They can drift lower hp cars too but they prefer higher HP. And just because you have high HP with wheelspin doesn't mean your going to be slower than a lower hp car.

Its all about grip and traction the car has. If your in a car that naturally doesn't have much grip (For example a 180sx) and you add 700hp on to that obviously its going to have balls for grip. But a car with alot of Natural traction like say a 370Z or a FR-S and you add 800hp onto those those cars can still be fast while gaining more torque and hp.

Another thing is peoples Tunes tend to come into play. Some people don't like to enter at 90 or 80 mph. Some people like to enter fast some people enter slower. The slower guys are usually trying to get massive angle on every single corner. While the faster guys are more about holding a fast line through the track. Its all driver preference. I personally fall in the middle. I like to enter fast but I carry good angle throughout the course and hit all the line's and or clips.

While I focus on consistency and being able to follow fast AND slower cars as well as putting down good lead runs so the person following doesn't have to work as hard or panic behind me. And some people don't really care what the car behind them is doing...... they just want to go with either as much angle or as much speed as possible and if you can't keep up with their speed or be able to deal with their angle well thats on you.

So while HP is a PART of drifting its not the KEY thing about drifting. Suspension, Diff and Trans set ups are more important. You can always add HP but it takes good tuners to work on those things.

Danm...... I went on a freakin rant again. *Sigh*...... I really need to stop doing this. *Frowns*.... people are gonna think I'm some kind of Drift nerd or something. And Eric, Greazy, Gonales before ya'll say ANYTHING NO!! I'm not going to look into being no FD judge. -_____-.

WingZeroCustom
Danm...... I went on a freakin rant again. *Sigh*...... I really need to stop doing this. *Frowns*.... people are gonna think I'm some kind of Drift nerd or something. And Eric, Gonales before ya'll say ANYTHING NO!! I'm not going to look into being no FD judge. -_____-.

Now that you said that I think you should look into becoming a FD judge. Sorry I had to do that, anyway I agree with everything you said. It is pretty much driver preference.

Preach Nar Preach. I agree with you. Calling people noob because they like high hp is pretty stupid.

I can drift low hp but it doesn't appeal to me. But meh, if you called me a noob I'll just laugh

HP doesn't have much to do with anything. I drift anywhere between 400 - 1200h (1000+ft/lbs) . What's more important in your setup and how you are able to control the car. But I never make hp the only way for me to be faster. I can be just as fast in a 400hp than a 1200hp. But I can also be even faster in a 1200hp if I wanted to. Smoothness always comes down to the tune and the driver.

The main thing is that each drifter has his/her pace. Everybody is comfortable which a different amount of power. But me uping the power to 1000+ is only for fun. It all depends on the occasion.

Which makes you one of the drifters I don't like to see drifting. Drifting is NOT about speed, it's about car control. The more HP/Torque, and more wheelspin makes you have more control. Smoothness has nothing to do with HP/Torque, it's all down to the person driving. Wrong on both occasions. Weight isn't the factor thats most decisive, nor does the excessive HP make you less smooth. Traction people. TRACTION is what it is all about in drifting. More traction, means more speed. But less control. Which makes me somebody that never drifts with a lot of traction. Which is the way it should be.
l
Pretty much nailed it. Smoothness is in the driver, not the car or the power. More power (tq to be more specific) helps me get more angle but powerband is a huge part of it as well for me.

Gonales
Which makes you one of the drifters I don't like to see drifting. Drifting is NOT about speed, it's about car control. The more HP/Torque, and more wheelspin makes you have more control.

FYI, I'm not a drifter and I haven't even drifted once in this game yet so you can't say that you don't want to see me drifting, boy. And please, stop being so cocky about it, since I only stated an opinion about drifting high HP cars and you sound like you know everything about it.

EDIT: Oh, so you really know everything about drifting, looking at your pretty title and that's why you have to act so cocky about it. My mistake for calling you a boy, you girl.

Last edited:
FYI, I'm not a drifter and I haven't even drifted once in this game yet so you can't say that you don't want to see me drifting, boy. And please, stop being so cocky about it, since I only stated an opinion about drifting high HP cars and you sound like you know everything about it.

Well it's obvious that you don't know a thing about who you are talking to. Your response was pretty rude, considering you don't even drift.

Suzuki
Well it's obvious that you don't know a thing about who you are talking to. Your response was pretty rude, considering you don't even drift.

I was just stating my opinion and he/she sounds so arrogant. I don't care if I don't know a thing about drifting or what. Did I even say that what I said is true?

I personally like cars that have 600 HP or less. The only 600 HP drift car I own is a BMW M5, and I've thought about lowering it. My primary drift car is a 400 HP RUF BTR. If I were to add any more HP, it would be almost undrivable. I have seen someone drift a maxed out BTR at 668 HP, but I would never be able to use that. If you like high HP cars, more power to you. I prefer lower-end HP cars but I occasionally go higher just for fun. I personally don't like a 200 HP AE86 because I can't get it to hold a drift, at all, but I respect those that can do an awesome job with one.

And please, stop being so cocky about it,

It needed to be said. "Drift Princess"... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I personally don't care how much power people use. As long as they know how to use the car they are in and have proper track etiquette, I see no problems.

I mostly use 600 to 650hp because i dont really like going full throttle all the time.

If you've not drifted once, why offer an opinion? How can you possible know what you are talking about?

And if my response sounds as ''cocky-ness'', that might actually just be because of the fact that I do know what I'm talking about, and I believe in that knowledge. If you have a problem with that because you are uncertain about your own, don't start insulting my gender. Thank you.

I mostly use 600 to 650hp because i dont really like going full throttle all the time.

I LOVE just flooring it sometimes. It's such a rush. =D

Put me in the "Under 300" range. I love cars like the 73 Skyline, and when I want lots of wheel spin I'll go for my G4. 156Hp, but it doesn't weigh anything. Spins tires so easy XD

It's all down to user preference. That's why certain people look stupid in my eyes when they choose to judge others in such an immature fashion, because they have a different taste.

ACGreen86
Put me in the "Under 300" range. I love cars like the 73 Skyline, and when I want lots of wheel spin I'll go for my G4. 156Hp, but it doesn't weigh anything. Spins tires so easy XD

Me too. I'm addicted to a stock engined Fairlady 2000 roadster at the moment ~150 BHP. The old (197x?)Toyota Celica is great too.

If the track doesn't have many high speed sections I can generally get a low powered car sliding well enough by just shortening the gears (more torque to the rear wheels) - often just changing the final drive is good. That and chucking the car in to the corner quite aggressively to initiate the drift.

Cheers,

Bread

Grow up guys and girls. Let's have a discussion without saying someone's opinion is wrong... Opinion is opinion and no one here is perfect at drifting or anything drifting related.

Put me in the "Under 300" range.

Me too. I will never understand why people use over 300HP.

I only run 300HP on most of my cars or lower if I'm just in a open lobby. I can tandem well and its not too much.

I don't see why people use anything above that. I can understand probably like 320 or 350. I use 330 on my chaser. Only exception is for competition. I usually run 450. I remember running a series with horsepower maxed to 300HP. I can say competition was a lot more intense before I ended it.

But if all that extra power makes you happy I can't stop you.

How the hell can you tell me what is too much hp????????????????????? Sit back. I ain't going to listen to none of you. I can tandem both, and in this game I'll do what I want and drift what I want whether I be called noob or whatever. Because at the end if the day, I never asked you to tandem with me. Lol. "300hp is more than enough" Pshh.

Last edited:
Back