hot rods, muscle cars, customs...

• Thread starter Cano
  • 6,009 comments
In all of its copper-grilled glory. :D

Never liked that grille, but it was such a prominent feature. I always thought it needed to sit a few inches lower too, but it was his daily driver so I won't complain too much.

tumblr_lzq0kgziEA1qg60vdo1_1280.jpg

one171.jpg

1003rc_03_o%2B1947_chevrolet_fleetline%2Bgrille.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully when I get the bumper and pipes on, and the 28x14.50 Hoosier slicks with Lakewood traction bars she'll seem a bit more street rod worthy...

IMG_20160905_015043.jpg

I'm not quite a fan of the wheel size, but they literally had every single reason to go with 17s, so I don't blame them.

Mike Roy's Monte Carlo never gets old to look at. Even though he's putting up for sale, I'll always remember it as his car.
View attachment 496524
I know I'm quoting an old post of mine, but I'm pretty certain that Mike Roy didn't find a buyer and decided to keep the car for a little bit longer. I did, however, see that Kyle Loftis (1320Video founder) uploaded a video today of the Monte Carlo in action from when Mike had it at Drag Week that I'll embed to my post.

I still love this approximately 4,100 pound tank and was shocked to hear that he built the 540 cubic inch BBC in 2000 (1320 botched the description and said its a Hemi). The current twin turbo engine setup has been in the car since 2011 which coincidently was the year that Kyle saw the car in person for the first time.

That family of inline six could take some abuse. People used to take the 250s and make them some serious sleepers years ago, and I know that someone has a 292 running 8s in the quarter with a 30s Chevy truck.

Okay so it's not really the same engine, but I'd love an early 50s GMC with the 426 or 503 sixer bus/truck engine.

:mischievous:

w630_50.jpg

Last edited:
Whats the cylinder bore on a 503? :lol:
4.62" bore and 5.125" stroke if I recall correctly. The cylinder block actually bolts to the crankcase externally (bolts outside the jugs) and then the head bolts to the cylinder block. I believe the 426 had the same stroke with a 4.35" bore. They're happy around 2500rpm. :P

There's a 1963 GMC 305 V6 truck sitting at my grandfather's field. I've told my dad to dig it out and see if it runs, but my gut feeling is that it'll probably return to the earth before anyone in the family bothers to do anything with it.

Well, when people buy a Camaro, a lot of their first intentions is to throw in a loud, rumbling V8 rather than a wheezy 6 cylinder.
That's kind of the point of a Camaro now.

Back then it was a typical family car that you could get a big motor in it you wanted.

While Camaros only got a weezy, low powered six, Firebirds, Tempests, and Le Mans' were getting this:
eng4.jpg

The OHC 6 was interesting for its time as most domestic straight sixes were pushrod designs and had anemic power ratings (the 230 cu.in. six in the Camaro had 140hp). This, when introduced in 1966, started with 165 right out of the box. In its final production year in 1969, Sprint 6 models equipped with manual transmissions got an improved cam which, along with other updates it received, allowed it to produce 230hp ( just for comparison, the base 327 V8 of the time was rated at 217hp- not bad for an underdog engine like this). Sadly, it just couldn't keep up with any accessory components like A/C taking up room and power, not to mention that it was expensive to make, and wasn't selling all that well, Pontiac decided to drop it after 1970. Bit of a shame really, as it was a little ahead of its time; and that's before you realize that most original OHC 6 cars had their engines dumped for V8s in the 70s and 80s before pony cars of this vintage became valuable.

Latest Posts

Back