hot rods, muscle cars, customs...

• Thread starter Cano
  • 6,005 comments
Good thing you posted the same picture three times with another one of your posts right above that! Some times the same picture just once just isn't enough...

1999-ford-f-150-svt-lightning-wheelie.jpg

Chrysler 300 SRT10:

Chrysler-300-SRT10-Viper-141+copy.jpg

Inspiration...

I really like the Fikses on that thing.

As bad as it might sound, it makes financial sense actually. You don't have to redo the entire engine bay of an early Must5ang to drop in an LS engine, and you're certainly way WAY ahead in the power-per-dollar aspect, too. You don't have to buy a blower with a LS to go fast, for starters.

HAHA that's a chev motor I believe:lol:, sold in the HSV Clubsport here in Australia a while back, 07 VE commodre I believe?:confused:

Yep, definitely a Chevy motor. It was also from the CV8z Monaro - has the same 6.0 Liter V8 as the rebadged Holden we got from you guys. The VE Commodore (also a Pontiac G8/same zeta platform) also has the 6.0 but it was basically a detuned version of the ones we got in our cars with 350 hp.

I really like the Fikses on that thing.

As bad as it might sound, it makes financial sense actually. You don't have to redo the entire engine bay of an early Must5ang to drop in an LS engine, and you're certainly way WAY ahead in the power-per-dollar aspect, too. You don't have to buy a blower with a LS to go fast, for starters.
But at that point why not do a FI Windsor V8 and not have to mess with swap parts. Plus aftermarket parts for Windsors are cheaper than LSx.

But at that point why not do a FI Windsor V8 and not have to mess with swap parts. Plus aftermarket parts for Windsors are cheaper than LSx.

I'm pretty sure LS1 parts are a dime a dozen, LSx is an entirely different thing and far more expensive. I'd say an LS2 and LS3 are cheaper but I'll have to look.

Also the swap wouldn't be that difficult. Oh but the great thing about the LSx is that it could be all the engines I mentioned LS1, 2, or 3 or whatever else. It's a far more customizable block for a variety of applications.

Yeah! like the EFI setup wich will run you 900-1200 alone. No thanks.

Besides, think of this: if you're going trough the massive hassle of swapping in a LSx engineyou wouldn't leave it stock, at least I wouldn't. And yeah, even if LS is still more expensive than SBC stuff, I'd say it's already on par with stuff for small block Fords, only you'll never have a small block Ford as rugged and as responsive to stuff as a LSx. You knowyour Fords, so tell me what would you need to have a dependable 550-horse small Ford... that would be about half an engine, compared to the all-bolt-on approach to an LS.

It'd still make sense to me, only for the peace of mind.

It depends on what SBF you start with. A 550 horse bolt on Cleveland or 400M is easily attainable if you start with a high compression motor (no need on a 400) to boot and just as reliable as stock. But then again I'm one of those guys that usually tends to keep engines with the cars they came with a few exceptions.

Also, mechanical injection over EFI is usually much cheaper.

I'd argue about it not being as responsive to bolt ons...that really depends soley on the year of the engine you are starting with. We all know that a lot of Ford engines had performance versions and the pig versions which started with the same block, take the 390 for example.

Well I think the LS2 is a great idea.

It's unfair to compare it against older small blocks since obviously a modern motor is desired. The Ford Modular Motor is huge, has a higher center of mass, and weighs more in general, and is a ***** to work on. Seriously, 4 camshafts. I think it would be harder to justify using a Coyote in an old Mustang than using an LS. LS platform engines are about the size of my 289 Windsor but weigh 100lbs less.

Honestly if you're going to put a modern motor in a classic Mustang, an LS has more in common with the "proper" motor for the car than a Coyote or similar modern Ford engine.

Aluminum heads would easily shed that 100 lbs.

That's a fair point though.

Wow I really like that '73 Torino.
Yeah... it's for sale now. New 351C engine (360hp), new interior, new wheels & tires, new suspension...
1.3 million rub (~$43,000), customs cleared.
The power declared in the registration certificate is 160 hp (this is to reduce the tax LOL).
vqWaa7dkr4g.jpg

CZ6cuCrKZVo.jpg

_VBndZ39_S0.jpg

-RzoU-Bh7og.jpg

w7L5KR8azQE.jpg

Also, I love their Superbird. Looks amazing on the streets. :drool:
DIU5fRfcHKY.jpg

ROvJVq21BzU.jpg

celBUNKW7Qc.jpg

Bfuwqcmsdkw.jpg

LA04g5wJxnA.jpg

Azwr8eamK4A.jpg

Automatic... :(

It depends on what SBF you start with. A 550 horse bolt on Cleveland or 400M is easily attainable if you start with a high compression motor (no need on a 400) to boot and just as reliable as stock. But then again I'm one of those guys that usually tends to keep engines with the cars they came with a few exceptions.

Also, mechanical injection over EFI is usually much cheaper.

I'd argue about it not being as responsive to bolt ons...that really depends soley on the year of the engine you are starting with. We all know that a lot of Ford engines had performance versions and the pig versions which started with the same block, take the 390 for example.

Exactly, it depends on what you start with. As in the cheapest stuff won't hold up to 450 hp without breakig in half or having an aftermarket crank and internals and stuff, and having a Cleve or 400M reach those power levels reliably is not exactly "easily" attainable, and I'm willing to bet it'll be expensive as hell and difficult because you know, everyone and their mother makes parts for Cleves and 400Ms (I know there are plenty of parts, but can't be compared to the ammount of parts and development for the LS engine), and expensive because there will be machining work involved for sure, and parts for obscure obsolete engines, surprisingly, can get quite pricy.

They're great engines and I love Fords, don't take me wrong, but I'd still say the LS engine would be a better choice for a powerful engine. At least financially (I won't talk about how I could never find a Cleve or FE or M in here as we all live in different parts of the world, but yeah, in Mexico those don't even exist).

How unless you go brand new aftermarket stuff? Junkyard source it from any Mass air EFI 5.0 or 5.8....

Yeah, and be saddled with anemic factory parts and having to cobble together a system that'll provide enough air to a high-HP engine. I'm all for the junkyard aproach and I think cobbling together stuff that works from trash is awesome, but I'm still talking about a truly high-performance engine, 500 horses or higher, and tuneable and stuff. You'd still need to update half of the stuff from the junkyard or be limited by throttle-body size and the sensors and what not. The LS stuff will be much more modern even in stock form and will maybe hold up fine, or at least better, than the old Ford stuff. I thik they might be comparable and more or less equivalent, stock-vs-stock form, in that they'd need to be updated a bit, so the induction part might be moot, but when we go into block, heads and other stuff, the LS do makes sense. Technology will do that.

'Sides, you can't deny the cool factor of opening up your hood and pissing Slash off. Priceless (:

Exactly, it depends on what you start with. As in the cheapest stuff won't hold up to 450 hp without breakig in half or having an aftermarket crank and internals and stuff, and having a Cleve or 400M reach those power levels reliably is not exactly "easily" attainable, and I'm willing to bet it'll be expensive as hell and difficult because you know, everyone and their mother makes parts for Cleves and 400Ms (I know there are plenty of parts, but can't be compared to the ammount of parts and development for the LS engine), and expensive because there will be machining work involved for sure, and parts for obscure obsolete engines, surprisingly, can get quite pricy.

Well some engines had forged internals straight to boot (Cobra Jet Clevelands for example) but I agree with pretty mcuh all of this. I'd argue aftermarket for Windsors are just as big as the LS series but who knows these days. Realistically it's all based on how much money you have. You can make anything go fast now, since there are no trick motors or anything and if there was everyone would have them figured out by now. It's all based on how much great you have. Then there are people like me that like to keep a brand engine in a brand car, with a few exceptions. I don't mind seeing Chevy engines in Ford's, but it aches me a bit to know it's not the original powerplant, or one offered in that year per say.

They're great engines and I love Fords, don't take me wrong, but I'd still say the LS engine would be a better choice for a powerful engine. At least financially (I won't talk about how I could never find a Cleve or FE or M in here as we all live in different parts of the world, but yeah, in Mexico those don't even exist).

Clevelands have always been a bit more expensive to build up than say a Windsor, but yeah that's probably true. Parts availability in your location is always an issue as well. I see a lot of guys scrougning around for Aussie Cleveland heads here...they are like the GT40P's to a Windsor but for Clevelands.

Yeah, and be saddled with anemic factory parts and having to cobble together a system that'll provide enough air to a high-HP engine. I'm all for the junkyard aproach and I think cobbling together stuff that works from trash is awesome, but I'm still talking about a truly high-performance engine, 500 horses or higher, and tuneable and stuff. You'd still need to update half of the stuff from the junkyard or be limited by throttle-body size and the sensors and what not. The LS stuff will be much more modern even in stock form and will maybe hold up fine, or at least better, than the old Ford stuff. I thik they might be comparable and more or less equivalent, stock-vs-stock form, in that they'd need to be updated a bit, so the induction part might be moot, but when we go into block, heads and other stuff, the LS do makes sense. Technology will do that.

'Sides, you can't deny the cool factor of opening up your hood and pissing Slash off. Priceless (:

Personally I don't think 500hp is really necessary on the street, in a lighter car, 350-400 is plenty but maybe that's just me.

Then again we are also comparing a 40+ year old engines to something relatively new. As I said in the other post, it depends on which engine you have stock (all based on engine codes and casting numbers back then, which is why it's important).

That Torino is amazing, love the engine!!!

Personally I don't think 500hp is really necessary on the street, in a lighter car, 350-400 is plenty but maybe that's just me.

Who said anything about necessity?

That is why I remarked that I'd be talking about a really powerful engine. If you want 350 hp, you maintain your stock engine, give it cheap 10.0 pistons, a set of ported-at-home heads, an Edelbrock top end and some headers and call it done. You'd never go to the hassle of swapping engines just to have 300 hp, it's unrealistic.

If you're aiming at building a bullet then the swap makes sense because it will be easier to make power, more powerful, you'll have less weight on the nose, etc. That is why I was talking in that scenario.

For instance, the "GTLS2" that Zenith posted. It's obvious that the guy wants to do some leg-stretching in the car (more info on it would be apreciated for some more context) or else he wouldn't have gone to the hassle of dropping an LS in his Mustang. The same applies with drag racers, I remember reading that in the past Drag Week there were several Mustangs running it but only one had a Ford engine, all others were Chevy-powered. If you're going for a nice street cruiser you don't need no more than a 260 on steroids. If you're planning on using the car violently, then a cost-conscious engine swaps make sense because man, playing around sure is expensive.

I guess from a financial standpoint it makes sense but I sure as hell wouldn't ever do it :D

It's actually only one inch wider than a Coyote 5.0. The 4.6/5.4/5.8/6.2 are actually larger/same size based on the cams you get.

mdmp_1002_12_%2Bboss_429_mustang%2Bford_v8_engine.jpg

'Dat injection

Latest Posts

Back