Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,228 comments
At the moment, painting them in tamiya metalic silver.

Edit: spokes light gold, Rim light , Nearly a Chrome Finish.

Last edited:
Ah, I was gonna ask where those wheels came from, so thanks for telling. They're sure big for the HW car, but in something like a vintage Majorette or Superfast-era Matchbox, they should look right at home.

Ah, I was gonna ask where those wheels came from, so thanks for telling. They're sure big for the HW car, but in something like a vintage Majorette or Superfast-era Matchbox, they should look right at home.

This Porsche specifically:

mo_08porsche911gt2_2011.jpg

The black 911 has the same wheels in black.

Looks pretty nice. I'd use different wheels though.

So I tried painting a car last night again. And I failed. AGAIN. :banghead::mad:. I even bought new primer, and washed the car better than I normally do in soapy water. WHAT. THE. HELL. AM. I. DOING. WRONG? :mad:

So, I'm new to this thread, but I've been reading through it for a while. Here's my second attempt at customizing. Is it ok?

Odd choice of wheels indeed but the paint and everything else looks pretty decent.

So I tried painting a car last night again. And I failed. AGAIN. :banghead::mad:. I even bought new primer, and washed the car better than I normally do in soapy water. WHAT. THE. HELL. AM. I. DOING. WRONG? :mad:

What happened?

Maybe you didn't wash all the soap off? Maybe there was finger grease on the car? Maybe its the conditions you're working in? Maybe you didn't let it sit long enough before handling? Maybe the primer doesn't go well with zamak (Hot wheels casting)?

I would try spraying a VERY light coat of primer first, then before it dries more than 5 min or so put a full coat on then spray your paint before the primer fully dries...wet on wet painting works differently than wet on dry... either it'll work or it'll do the same thing

Maybe you didn't wash all the soap off? Maybe there was finger grease on the car? Maybe its the conditions you're working in? Maybe you didn't let it sit long enough before handling? Maybe the primer doesn't go well with zamak (Hot wheels casting)?

I rinsed the car off, and then dried it with a towel after I put it in the soapy water, and I didn't touch it at all (I had it held by the rivet post the whole time). The weather was really warm when I painted it, and I let it sit for about 24 hours in the sun. I used oil based rust paint (primer in this case), and I've used regular krylon primer before for other cars, which has had the same results.

I would try spraying a VERY light coat of primer first, then before it dries more than 5 min or so put a full coat on then spray your paint before the primer fully dries...wet on wet painting works differently than wet on dry... either it'll work or it'll do the same thing

I'll try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

"24 hours in the sun." Try taking it away from the sun. Could be the humidity that's making the primer not adhere properly. This isn't an issue with paint. It sounds like an error happening between paint stripping and laying down the primer. Based on that, I'd say there's plenty of possible things that went wrong here, given that everything you've said you've done has never been an issue for me. What it is though I do not know.

I've never had that issue on your level despite the variations of prep/painting I've done: primer on bare metal, primer on painted metal, paint on bare metal, paint on painted metal. Never had an issue with the paint coming off that easily. Or maybe I just handle them better than you do, who knows. :lol:

"24 hours in the sun." Try taking it away from the sun. Could be the humidity that's making the primer not adhere properly.

That's what my dad told me the problem could be, but I've painted cars without leaving them in the sun also, and it still doesn't work. But I've been told the weather I've been painting in is really humid, so maybe that's the problem?

Back