Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments
People! I'm happy to bring you the coverage of the Basic class from out first Custom Contest. Clickety-cleek:

http://www.customdiecastmexico.com/2016/07/1er-concurso-de-customs-custom-diecast.html
13529221_1313040762040195_3593373739015457745_n.jpg

Those matchbox wheels really work a treat with the car and the colour don't they? They look almost identical to the rims I have on my r33 minus the chrome lip.

Oh drat, ever since I left for vacation, been forgetting about this thread.
Repaint class is on! I won this one (:

http://www.customdiecastmexico.com/2016/07/1er-concurso-de-customs-custom-diecast_12.html

@Sonygamer455 , you'll find the Grinder Gremlin inside 👍
Looks great! Not too crazy about the color choice, but the vinyls look pretty good and I could not ask for a better set of wheels for this one, they are the perfect choice for it! It fits my taste well since it's a nice and simple restoration, that's how I usually prefer mine. Great work!

Purchased x2 BMW M3 and x2 Porsche 993 Euro Series cars for wheel donors. Should be here today which is nice since the estimated time of arrival was Monday but they say out for delivery. Will give me something to do this weekend...

Filler for Hot Wheels?

I guess you could do Bondo stuff but they might leave pores that appear gigantic at this scale. You could try the hairline filler, but that's only goof for filling in cracks.

Or you could order hobby putty like Milliput or Tamiya.

Hello, I have few questions regarding Burago 1:64 cars painted in metallic colours.
  • Tips for washing the cars? Would standard dish detergent damage the body?
  • Is it possible to order spare parts or taking them from another car is the only option?
  • How to fix undercarriage that curves towards the ground (usually in the center of the car)?
  • What kind of paint would you use to paint the cars?
Some of these I own have problems with paint (scratched to metal on several places) and undercarriage, so I was wondering how expensive this restoration would really be, maybe I could try fixing them. :)

Hello, I have few questions regarding Burago 1:64 cars painted in metallic colours.
  • Tips for washing the cars? Would standard dish detergent damage the body?
  • Is it possible to order spare parts or taking them from another car is the only option?
  • How to fix undercarriage that curves towards the ground (usually in the center of the car)?
  • What kind of paint would you use to paint the cars?
Some of these I own have problems with paint (scratched to metal on several places) and undercarriage, so I was wondering how expensive this restoration would really be, maybe I could try fixing them. :)

Soap shouldn't affect any types of paint. Paint is designed to withstand the sun, car washes and the rain.

But like any material that breaks down, if the paint is already in a crummy condition, it is possibly that cleaning the car will chip off paint, but soap itself shouldn't damage paint.

Some people who are into the customizing hobby produce custom wheels they sell. You could alternatively pull wheels off another car. I don't have links, so you'll have to go searching for it.

If you have some way to hear up the undercarriage (assuming it's plastic), heat it up so it gets soft and push on it to get it back into the desired shape.

Any paint is totally cool. A paint that can work on metal is preferable though.

Soap shouldn't affect any types of paint. Paint is designed to withstand the sun, car washes and the rain.
Wrong. Dish soap can be used on a real car but only if you are trying to strip off the wax (if there was any previously) and all contaminants before putting down a new coat of wax. You should never use it as your normal car wash soap.

What kind of paint would you use to paint the cars?
Any type of paint will work. Top tip: Fill up your sink about half way with some hot water from the tap and let the can sit in there for 10-15 minutes with a shake or two in-between. It will thin out the paint for better flow and smoother application.

If you have some way to hear up the undercarriage (assuming it's plastic), heat it up so it gets soft and push on it to get it back into the desired shape.
Fill up your sink about half way with some hot water from the tap and let the can sit in there for 10-15 minutes with a shake or two in-between. It will thin out the paint for better flow and smoother application.
Excellent suggestions, I'll try them out. 👍

Wrong. Dish soap can be used on a real car but only if you are trying to strip off the wax (if there was any previously) and all contaminants before putting down a new coat of wax. You should never use it as your normal car wash soap.
What do you think of alcohol? Maybe if I soak a cotton wall a bit and clean the cars manually one by one, would it do less harm than drowning cars into dish soap (which is what I initially though of)?

What do you think of alcohol? Maybe if I soak a cotton wall a bit and clean the cars manually one by one, would it do less harm than drowning cars into dish soap (which is what I initially though of)?
Cleaning a hot wheels with dish soap is ok, sorry if my explanation was confusing. I was specifically talking about not using dish soap on a real car unless absolutely necessary.

I haven't shared anything in this thread for while, mainly because I haven't had much spare time of late. That, and sometimes I find it hard to motivate myself to carry on with started projects. Not being one to change tradition.. I've started a new one without finishing any of the others (again). :lol:

Personally I blame @Cano (and me watching too many episodes of 'Street Outlaws'). Seeing that awesome (orange) 240Z drag car of his, reminded me that I'd said I was going to attempt one ages ago, but as usual I didn't quite get round to it. Anyway, I felt rather inspired by Cano's Z, so I decided a few nights ago I'd start work on a drag car of my own. However, I thought I'd try making a drag car out of the HW's Anglia 105e instead. There's still a lot to do but I've got a good idea of what the finished car is going to look like.

It will eventually be sprayed blue with the usual Anglia white stripe down the side. I'm also planning on giving it a rather large aerodynamic hood/bonnet bulge, I may also add an exposed turbo to the side of the bulge too. I plan on making the passenger side door cut short, with a large lower panel (beneath it) for a side exit exhaust (the car sits quite low). I'm really happy with the way the car sits and it rolls perfectly. I was going to have the large rear tyres tubbed into the body, but decided to do arch extensions instead. They're probably the hardest arches I've done so far as there's not a great deal of bodywork for the putty to cling to, but I'm fairly happy with the results. I roughly shaved the front bumper (need to smooth it out some more), and threw on some BMF to see whether it would pick up the grill squares, and surprisingly it does, (Gonna need some advice how to paint those grill squares though). Probably add a parachute and wheelie bar as well.

Sorry for the long post. Time for a few early pics: :D:

If I had the HW's 'Harry Potter' version of the Anglia, I'd rip! that sucker apart for it's clear windows. :lol:

Last edited:
I haven't shared anything in this thread for while

Very cool to read that my Z drag car was actually an inspiration to get you going again. Your project's cool, but you really need to give it some psychedelic paint as the countless brit tin cans that were turned into drag cars in the 70s. I know you know what I'm talking about.

As for the clear windows, let them be in yellow, as in drag cars/street freaks, it was actually a common modification to swap the glass for coloured plegxiglass. One of the stapples of the gasser look this side of the pond, no doubt imitated by the guys over there.

Very cool to read that my Z drag car was actually an inspiration to get you going again. Your project's cool, but you really need to give it some psychedelic paint as the countless brit tin cans that were turned into drag cars in the 70s. I know you know what I'm talking about.

As for the clear windows, let them be in yellow, as in drag cars/street freaks, it was actually a common modification to swap the glass for coloured plegxiglass. One of the stapples of the gasser look this side of the pond, no doubt imitated by the guys over there.
I hear what you're saying Mr C and what you're saying makes a lot of sense, but I'm really not going for the gasser look with this one.

With the rear aches the way they are now, it would look awesome as a gasser (probably even more appropriate), and yes the yellow tinted plexi would indeed be period correct, same with the psychedelic paint job. It would make it look very 70's era Santa Pod. But that's really not the look I'm going for, reason being I don't really want to spend a bunch of time on this one. I've pretty much got the hardest work out the way already. All's that's left to do is shaping the bonnet bulge (doing away with the turbo), drilling a hole for the exhaust, then primer and paint, and then on top of that, masking and paint for the white stripe. Colour of the car is not 100% decided at the mo, as I came across this yesterday: (someone's already done an awesome gasser of one)

8f223aeefd30fb7e8ff671e75643b407.jpg

So yeah, may go with something different from the blue.

Thanks for the suggestions though buddy. Hopefully whatever I do to it, I can still do it justice. :cheers: 👍

Latest Posts

Back