Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
gtp_hwcust_logo.png

This thread is for anyone that is into customizing Hot Wheels, Matchbox or other 1:64 scale cars. Anything from wheel swaps to custom paint, all the way to full custom cars.

This is also the place to ask about or share tips and tricks for customizing your own cars.

I will reserve this first post for tips only, so anyone that is curious about trying their own custom can look here. 👍

Typical Items Needed:

Tools:
  • Rotary Dremel Tool w/variable speed (Info)
  • Various Dremel Bits (Info)
  • Handheld electric drill w/variable speed (Info)
  • Drill bits for metal - 3/16" and 1/16" or #50
  • Small Screwdrivers - flat head mainly
  • Exacto Knife w/sharp blades
  • Wire Snips
Supplies:
  • 2-56 round or flat head machine screws (optional) (Purchase)
  • #2 Flat Washers (optional) (Purchase)
  • Rivets & Rivet tool (optional)
  • 1/16" Brass tubing (Info)
  • Gorilla Glue or JB Weld
  • Paint stripper (Info)
  • Spray Paint suited for metal
  • Paint Primer suited for metal
  • Sandpaper w/grits from 60 to 1500 (optional)
  • Steel wool (optional)
  • Enamel Model paints (Testors or equivalent)(Info)
  • Metallic Silver Sharpie Marker (optional)
  • Sharp point tooth picks - round preferred
  • Fine tip paint brushes
  • Enamel paint thinner or Brush cleaner
How-To's & Tips:

Below is a small collection of tips on how to customize 1/64 scale cars (mainly Hot Wheels). This is not my site and I take no credit for them. Note: some images in the tutorials may not work.

Last edited:
Fantastic customs R1600. 👍 I remember all of them. :sly:

I am already bracing myself. And my wallet.

About freaking time. I actually have several projects to show you all people, but I want to start with one I liked a lot how it came out:

I got this Lesney Matchbox Land Rover off a lot of cars I bought from E-Bay. This is how it looked when it fell into my hands, pretty damn beat up but nothing broken, you can see that the glass is all there with no cracks, the bumpers weren't broken, etc.
IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

Only thing missing was the luggage that comes in it's roof originally, but that piece always falls down:
IMG_3203.jpg

Now, as I knew this car was coming, one day wandering trough a flea market I found this Matchbox Jeep for a buck. When I saw it's roof luggage rack my eyes just about watered. This was perfect for the Land Rover.
IMG_3207.jpg

So I bought it and waited for the Land Rover to arrive, then took it out and made do with it in no time...
IMG_3209.jpg

And it fit like a freaking glove.
IMG_3211.jpg

With what to put over that damned hole out of the way, I could finally start restoring it properly. Out came the rivvets...
IMG_3214.jpg

And then the paint. I love how it looks:
IMG_3219.jpg

I had to file the luggage support a bit for the new rack to fit:
IMG_3244.jpg

Here it is receiving it's first coat of color, courtesy of my friend Ahmed:
IMG_3249.jpg

It all eventually came to this. I wanted a very rural, almost tractor like look to it, which is why we did not apply clear to the blue. Interior was painted dark wine, and the bumper was now black.
IMG_3265.jpg

note also the bodycolor wheels:
IMG_3266.jpg

the interior was detailed a bit with a black floor behind...
IMG_3297.jpg

and a detailed steering wheel up front:
IMG_3298.jpg

Then the luggage detailing began:
IMG_3303.jpg

Meanwhile, the body was also bein' detailed, you can see some of the chrome stuff already in silver.
IMG_3304.jpg

It took a while, but the final results are pretty damn decent if I may say so:
IMG_5371.jpg

Yes, there are already spots where the paint has started to chip for no real reason, this due to the primer and paint used for this project are automotive paint, not intended for use on alloys like Zamac, and also, of course, the lack of clear.
IMG_5365.jpg

IMG_5367.jpg

IMG_5366.jpg

fully detailed luggage, took a damn while:
IMG_5369.jpg

IMG_5370.jpg

Aaaaand that's it. This is the only Lesney Land Rover in my collection now, I don't have another one, but I assure you even if I get the original one in mint condition, I'll be displayin' this one for sure.

IMG_5372.jpg

more to come!

Wow. That is a major difference. Thinking about it, I've also got that exact Land/Range Rover, with its paint basically already stripped! Sadly its also suffered the same fate and its luggage has fallen off. Now, my turn:

It started life as a old Hotwheels, identified by Cano as a Mercedes-Benz 540K.

I don't have any pictures of when it was in its bad state, but these are what I do have:

Back when it was in primer:

DSC03680.jpg

DSC03681.jpg

I actually accidentally did a modification to it. I had sanded a bit too much and sanded the bonnet smooth (it used to have a ridge in it).

Now, how it sits now. It is wearing a coat of 'Classic Red' from a Mazda Capella/626.

Thanks to you guys, you have now made me want to fix it.​

Got most of the tools. Where do I get the 'steady hand'?

Also: what about . . . ulp, Majj . .majo . . Majorettes?!!

*running away before King Turbo bites my head off.

Phew! Thanks, R16.... Finally, the modding thread. Yeah, this is your forte - I'm so glad you took it upon yourself to do this. As you know, I've already pulled your work out before for review - brilliant, both you and Cano - great tips and ideas. Your cars are like little Faberge eggs - handmade pieces of unique art.

If it's possible, please do extract, and repost here, the other valuable posts that you and Cano - there were some others, too (whose names we shall not list out) made in the 'show your collections' thread. This way all the info would be in one spot, and we can refer to them all at will in one spot. Not sure if that will work - but anyway, just a suggestion.

Cano - I am in the process of installing another computer at home so I should be able to post at will, too, soon. I'm working from my phone at the moment, and I dare not load my Photobucket account - it's just too big.

BBL. Cheers, guys. Great work.
H.

I was going to write out how-to's for the OP today, but I'm going to wait until I start working on my new project so I can take photos as well. 👍

Also: what about . . . ulp, Majj . .majo . . Majorettes?!!

Oh please do bring them on. I'll show you people the progress I've been making on one that will be ready really soon:

This is how I found this poor, POOR Majorette Renault 4 Cargo. I Just could not let it there, poor thing:
IMG_5549.jpg

IMG_5550.jpg

sooo...
IMG_5570.jpg

and sooo...
IMG_5613.jpg

Here is how it sits now. Custom-mixed "Renault blue", and new glass, since the original could not be saved. The wheels are not deffinitive and she is not done yet, I have some custom decals for it already designed, but I first want to decide full-well what wheels to use and do some modding to the chassis so I can dump her to the ground. But yeah, she's gettin' better.
IMG_6435.jpg

This one should be ready by next week or so. Will show you, of course.

Those are amazing Cano your customs always amaze me. Anyone in here ever thought about streching a hotwheels or matchbox to make a streched limo? Id love to do one but dont have the time space or experience to even think about it yet

Thanks bud. And a friend of mine did stretch one car... but to make a funny car out of it. I'll post it tomorrow, he has some pretty cool pics of it.

As promised, here is the custom-made Maverick funny car my friend built. I repeat, this car wasn't built by me, it's a friend's work.

This was built for a contest in one of the club's get-togethers about a year ago (the same reunion I built the fender-flared Maverick for), here is how he started, with two blue Maverick Grabbers...
Dsc03214.jpg

Mocked up atop a HW Garage Thunder Roller, bought specifically for it's chassis:
Dsc03222.jpg

Here is the aftermath, look at the custom hole for the air scoop; note also the custom-built aluminum wing:
Dsc03316.jpg

And here it is with it's severely 70's inspired paintjob:
Dsc07770.jpg

custom decals:
Dsc07773.jpg

custom wheelie bars, chute with strap, detailed taillamp panel:
Dsc07780.jpg

The chassis, though, is the star: dig the custom-made aluminum gas tank, fuel and brake lines, wired engine, custom rollcage and custom harnesses, as well as general sick detailing:
Dsc07774.jpg

This thing also participated in the 2011 HW Mexico Convention in the wild category, taking home a third place against two other entires that shouldn't have never won:
Dsc07781.jpg

multiexposure awesomeness:
Dsc077772.jpg

and here with some other friends:
Dsc07788.jpg

Cano, your friends Maverick funny car is simply incredible, all that detailing on engine and chassis blows my mind. :eek:

How the hell did he only come third?

Nice pro stock dragsters Cano. Those beasts sure looks menancing :mischievous:👍.

But, why didn't you and your buddy didn't win? Those converted monsters are a instant win there.

That car is amazing Cano how did your friend not come 1st? Also how did he join the two cars together?

Cano, your friends Maverick funny car is simply incredible, all that detailing on engine and chassis blows my mind. :eek:

How the hell did he only come third?

Nice pro stock dragsters Cano. Those beasts sure looks menancing :mischievous:👍.

But, why didn't you and your buddy didn't win? Those converted monsters are a instant win there.

I don't remember what he uses to join stuff, I'll ask him. As for why he didn't win, well, the winners were not better to my eyes, but judging at HW conventions is sucky to say the least. I'll try to dig out the cars that beat him so you guys can see. I remember they were totally ridiculous.

And @VspecZR1GT2RS89, Funny cars, dude, Funny cars; and the other cars that appear in the last picture are stock, I mean, they haven't been modified in any way, the models came like that. And he built it himself, I didn't have anything to do with it. I'll repost my Maverick entry later on.

Cano
I don't remember what he uses to join stuff, I'll ask him. As for why he didn't win, well, the winners were not better to my eyes, but judging at HW conventions is sucky to say the least. I'll try to dig out the cars that beat him so you guys can see. I remember they were totally ridiculous.

And @VspecZR1GT2RS89, Funny cars, dude, Funny cars; and the other cars that appear in the last picture are stock, I mean, they haven't been modified in any way, the models came like that. And he built it himself, I didn't have anything to do with it. I'll repost my Maverick entry later on.

Oops:dunce: my bad :lol:.

But I can't wait to see yours though.

Hmm, bad news guys. I was going to make an opening hood Caterham, but after taking one apart I can see it's just not possible. I might try something in the near future but for now it'll just get a detail and wheel swap. :(

Alright guys, just pointing out my findings as to why I abandoned the open hood concept on the Caterham.

So, here you will see in the two photos below my problem. If I were to cut the hood out, not only would I need to find a way to secure the front of the body, but the entire front with the grill would need to be secured as well. Might be possible, but not something I'm willing to try and figure out at the moment.
DSCN4495.jpg

DSCN4496.jpg

Now, below you can see that I have taken the liberty of cutting out the areas near the front wheel arches to make them more realistic. This leaves only the fender supports so you can see the tires from the inside. Please note they are still a bit rough, I need to smooth them out a bit.

**Original**
DSCN4497.jpg

**Cut out**
DSCN4498.jpg

And here's another one I snapped showing what the car looks like without the front fenders/lights. Might make a "race-only" car after I am finished with the current one. 👍
DSCN4499.jpg

And this is a photo I grabbed off the net showing what I have planned for paint. :)

s1_1.jpg

Back