Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments
Just so this thread will not go away, I'll say that I've finally found a set of wheels I actually like for the Majorette Renault 4, they came off this poor buddy here:

3240865451_8514516b4a.jpg

I just picked it up off a flea market for about 50 cents. Coolest part? These are screwed together, so no need to drill them. I'm thinking about painting them white.

Those wheels/tires are insane. I'm going right now to find out more.

EDIT: now that I've seen some more pics of it, it seems that hecut up a lace (BBS-style) wheels and popped the center into a normal Real Rider. Clever. I shall try that, I've got axles to spare.

Is there a way to get these damn rivets out without a drill because I don't have a working one.

A dremel with a drill bit designed for it would work. But the drill bit sizes listed in the OP are the best to use, which are a big large for a standard dremel.

which are a big large for a standard dremel.

Not at all. I use the Dremel to open the cars, have never used anything else. The Dremel will hold the drill bit just fine with the standard head, it's the smaller stuff, like the 5/16" bit, the one that'll be too small for the standar Dremel head to hold. But there is an acesory for that, too.If you really plan on doing more of these in the future the Dremel is an amazing investment, it does EVERYTHING.

Okay, so I went to my dad's house and he happened to have a drill. I was able to drill out those rivets. Now what, paint stripper? How much does that cost? Where can I get it?

photo-28.jpg

I bought the one I use off a generic paint supply store, cost about $3 for one liter. Mine isn't liquid, but like a gel, use a brush to apply it, and thick kitchen gloves, because it ITCHES LIKE ALL HELL. Once you've put a coat over the car's body, the paint will start to look like this:

IMG_4517.jpg

pass the same brush over it to take it away, wash thoroughly with running water, then repeat the proess until you have just bare zamac; when you do, wash thoroughly with water AND soap to take away any trace of remover, and you're ready to primer.

Not at all. I use the Dremel to open the cars, have never used anything else. The Dremel will hold the drill bit just fine with the standard head, it's the smaller stuff, like the 5/16" bit, the one that'll be too small for the standar Dremel head to hold. But there is an acesory for that, too.If you really plan on doing more of these in the future the Dremel is an amazing investment, it does EVERYTHING.

Uh, my dremel will not hold a standard size bit, including the sizes listed in the OP.

As far as stripper, I use this: (spray can FTW)

030192072998xl.jpg

Somebody buy me some ****** paint stripper please! Why must I only be 17 years old?

Last edited:
Well I was able to buy some paint stripper (infact the same one R1600Turbo suggested) and its working right now! 👍

Cano
Nice. Remember to wash the car thoroughly after you're done.

Just finished. Washed thoroughly. I have to say the casting looks much better without paint (or at least the factory paint)

photo-29.jpg

Can you guys direct me to the next step in the process?

And how about parts I need to order, like wheels for example. What are some good types of wheels to get?

Also, what kind of paint would you use to make this black? (It's the plastic driver)

photo-30.jpg

For painting the plastic, regular model paint and a paint brush would work okay on that.

For the body, you can go straight to a primer and paint if you want. I would try to make something to set it on so that it's not touching whatever you are painting on. (newspaper is what I use)

The wheels, I think that would look good with the wheels I am using on the Caterham.

You don't "order" wheels, you take them off other cars. And for a formula-style car, I bet a set of fat lace-style wheels would look sweet. They will noy be easy to find, the most recent car to war them was, if my memory serves me right, the Super Modified from two years ago. Look.

SuperModified_race_white.JPG

This is the car. Check out the rear wheels. They are VERY wide and have a wheel design that would look awesome on that car. You'd have to get two of these to grab their rear axles, but it'd be worth it IMO. But they will be difficult to find, as they were from 2010 or 1009. E-Bay or a flea market should provide the answer.

The wheels that 1600 is suggesting might look a bit out of place for an open-wheel car, they are like Minilites.

For painting the plastic, regular model paint and a paint brush would work okay on that.

For the body, you can go straight to a primer and paint if you want. I would try to make something to set it on so that it's not touching whatever you are painting on. (newspaper is what I use)

The wheels, I think that would look good with the wheels I am using on the Caterham.

There are a million types of paint, all that look slightly different and have slightly different purposes. Can you tell me what kind of primer, model paint, and car paint you use so I know I am getting the right stuff? Sorry if I'm sounding absolutely knowledgeless (is that even a word?) right now, I'm not exactly a big do-it-yourself person. Also, where is a good place to buy/order wheels?

You don't "order" wheels, you take them off other cars. And for a formula-style car, I bet a set of fat lace-style wheels would look sweet. They will noy be easy to find, the most recent car to war them was, if my memory serves me right, the Super Modified from two years ago. Look.

This is the car. Check out the rear wheels. They are VERY wide and have a wheel design that would look awesome on that car. You'd have to get two of these to grab their rear axles, but it'd be worth it IMO. But they will be difficult to find, as they were from 2010 or 1009. E-Bay or a flea market should provide the answer.

The wheels that 1600 is suggesting might look a bit out of place for an open-wheel car, they are like Minilites.

Hmmm... I don't have a whole lot of Hot Wheels (as I haven't been collecting for very long) but I do have a boulevard car with rubber wheels. But it's probably not a good idea to take it apart. But since it is an Indycar with exposed wheels, rubber ones may look great. Also I am going for more of an authentic look, and I think the wheels R1600 turbo suggested look pretty realistic, but I am always looking out for something better.

Last edited:

I disagree, good sir. ;)

There are a million types of paint, all that look slightly different and have slightly different purposes. Can you tell me what kind of primer, model paint, and car paint you use so I know I am getting the right stuff? Sorry if I'm sounding absolutely knowledgeless (is that even a word?) right now, I'm not exactly a big do-it-yourself person. Also, where is a good place to buy/order wheels?

For the primer and body paint, anything that says it works on metal will do just fine.

For the model paint I'm talking about the little guys like this:

testors.jpg

Make sure they are "Enamel".

True, you could find some wheels from one of the drag cars or something. Or maybe find an old rubber tire'd formula style hotwheels car on ebay that is beat up.

I disagree, good sir. ;)

For the model paint I'm talking about the little guys like this:

testors.jpg

Make sure they are "Enamel".

Just go to a hobby store I'm guessing? I'm still confused with primer and normal paint. Is it just the normal rattlecan spray paint or something different? And use a clear coat to make it shiny?

Just go to a hobby store I'm guessing? I'm still confused with primer and normal paint. Is it just the normal rattlecan spray paint or something different? And use a clear coat to make it shiny?

Normal paint in a spray can works fine. Can get it from Wal-Mart.

Clear coat is not necessary, and I would actually not recommend it for someone that is just starting out.

Model paint can be purchased from a Hobby or craft store. (have any Hobby Lobby's in your area?)

Back