How bad is this game for rammers?

• Thread starter Loaf112
  • 117 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I was just having a really fun race, one of the daily races. I’m not the fastest but will always drive clean.
I was near the back of the pack with a about 4-6 drivers who seemed to be shunting each other - they couldn’t seem to drive in a straight line. I managed to get past them, but then on two separate occasions in relatively quick succession I was shunted and rammed off the track, leaving me stone dead last with no chance of catching up.
Is this a common occurance?

Tend to agree

If you get to 1/2/3 you're usually okay, but behind its a dog fight. Awful really as no matter how clean I try to race, if someone rams you, you lose SR. Beginning to lose a little patience with SR. I could just drive at the back to get SR up, but then the DR would go down. You'd think the game could tell when someone has steered into you or used to stop.

Tend to agree

If you get to 1/2/3 you're usually okay, but behind its a dog fight. Awful really as no matter how clean I try to race, if someone rams you, you lose SR. Beginning to lose a little patience with SR. I could just drive at the back to get SR up, but then the DR would go down. You'd think the game could tell when someone has steered into you or used to stop.

Yeh, I understand it’s won’t always be clear cut who is at fault but when it’s something as obvious as someone ramming into the back of you, surely they could come up with a system that detects this

That's ok, you just answered my question 👍
Nope, still confused. Have I said something wrong?

No, nothing wrong at all. I was seriously wondering if you were a person or a bot because there are so many threads started about the same topic.

Oh right. I’m new to the forums and didn’t know bots could do this type of stuff.
I was just frustrated with the race and wanted to get a general consensus to see if that’s a regular occurance in the online races or if I’d just been unlucky

I don't experience rammers in DR and SR B and up. I find that most people won't hesitate to force moves even if it means making contact, but if you can just keep streetwise and get to at least SR B and higher, if not DR too, then you should be okay.

Maybe they dont do it on purpose, but just lack of skill, and even the best make misstakes. In lower classes, make sure you aren't on the outside of corners, and under braking take a different line if they close behind you. Just dont trust on the other driver, if you don't know him. My bad races by others you can count on one hand, have completed like 170.

Use radar and a mirror. I've been racing since the demo and at first it was a crash fest, like drive club. I think some folk LIKE driving nuts and bouncing off everything. Since your new your probably getting matched against other newer drivers who don't know the tracks and the brake points. Hang in there and have fun, it's a learning experience, the better drivers move up in rating to better racing.
At first I thought I was supposed to win every race, now I try to gain a few positions and drive fast and clean. Learn the tracks in practice and qualify fast to get in front of the rammers, and if someone is faster, let them pass, they'll either crash out eventually or take out someone in front, then you pick up 2 positions by being patient. Happens all the time

Use radar and a mirror. I've been racing since the demo and at first it was a crash fest, like drive club. I think some folk LIKE driving nuts and bouncing off everything. Since your new your probably getting matched against other newer drivers who don't know the tracks and the brake points. Hang in there and have fun, it's a learning experience, the better drivers move up in rating to better racing.
At first I thought I was supposed to win every race, now I try to gain a few positions and drive fast and clean. Learn the tracks in practice and qualify fast to get in front of the rammers, and if someone is faster, let them pass, they'll either crash out eventually or take out someone in front, then you pick up 2 positions by being patient. Happens all the time
Thanks that’s actually brilliant and useful advice. Thanks I really appreciate that and will take it on board. I do race clean but yeh my lap times aren’t brilliant so I usually start near the back. And yeah I haven’t been using my mirrors and radar so that’s a useful tip. Thanks I’ll keep practising

Besides using radar and the mirror, watch the time gaps to the car behind you. If you're driving consistent laps, you'll be able to tell where you are gaining or losing time compared to the car behind you. For reference, look at the time gap to the car in front as well and you'll get a feel for the distances between cars. Keep in mind the same time gap is a shorter distance at lower speeds. Slower corners after heavy braking are usually where you are most vulnerable.

SR.S has very little deliberate ramming yet most people still don't look more than one car ahead. Today on Interlagos, I start in 6. First chicane went fine for a change, yet the long left hander I'm following close behind the pack which is trying to go side by side through the corner, thus slower than usual, and the person behind me doesn't adjust his braking point. I get punted wide, lose a few positions, it happens. Then the first sharp corner to the right, same thing. I have to slow down for the pack again, person behind me crashes into me pushing me into the wall off track. I can't re-enter the track safely until I'm pretty much dead last.

That's what I get for qualifying. I usually don't bother and start last, better experience. SR is too easy to regain. A 10 lap race can net you +10 points if you keep it clean. So you can hit 10 people for 1 clean race...

Sometimes you can come across angry drivers having a bad race. I have experienced getting rammed when in first place. I have also experienced disconnections etc in first place. I get a flash of anger as well at times but you quickly remember it is just a game and games are meant to be fun.

I have more frequently experienced great close fair racing. I had one guy punt me in a race when i was in first. The next race i saw him he apologised before the race. We started 3rd and 4th, me 4th. We raced close, i could not get past and i had chances at purposely punting but did not. 1 and 2 suddenly crashed and we were then fighting for 1st. The start of the last lap he/she let me past for first. I asked after the race why they had let me win and he/she said it was to make up for the race i should have won.
So remember you are not playing for the cattle ranch, have fun, and you will get out of it what you put in.:gtpflag:

Last edited:
75% of races I'm in involve people not taking normal driving lines, so they will be behind you and not slow down, instead go inside to reach you then nudge you off and slow down their car simultaneously. Especially on tracks where this is unavoidable, like Interlagos. Then you have players driving very slow and slowing you down not willing to get out of the way. Then you have people who will not take into account that the driver in front of you is behind a slow driver that requires him to brake way earlier and will just ram you off. Many people will miss braking points, that is fine, but it doesn't explain going trying to sneak into inside causing a wreck.

We just have to deal with it and its effects on DR/SR rating. Because it will bring them down. FIA seems to be more serious and clean.

Slower drivers would help a lot if they would give space when possible for faster driver to pass. Otherwise quick drivers behind catch up then it quickly turns into a wreck.

It seems every race I end up a few positions down because someone crashed into me.

It’s not always a major ram, sometimes it’s just enough of a hit to get me off track. Then a couple people pass by while I try to get back on track and up to speed.

Other times the crashes are more deliberate.

I wish there was some way to fix this. If someone hitting me puts me 10+ seconds behind in one lap, shouldn’t that car get a penalty? Isn’t it easy to detect when one car initiates a crash and the other ends up stuck?

The driving etiquette lessons were a step in the right direction, but they are quickly forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:
instead go inside to reach you then nudge you off and slow down their car simultaneously. Especially on tracks where this is unavoidable, like Interlagos.
Then why don't you defend the inside line?

Slower drivers would help a lot if they would give space when possible for faster driver to pass. Otherwise quick drivers behind catch up then it quickly turns into a wreck.
It's not up to the guy in front to get out the way. It's up to the guy behind to make the overtake.

Then why don't you defend the inside line?

It's not up to the guy in front to get out the way. It's up to the guy behind to make the overtake.
Hear what you're saying, but when someone is clearly faster, better for your race to let them through or you lose too much time fighting

And, what some slow drivers do is appalling, where you're alongside them and they just run you off the track, which must be intentionally as they just drift across and keep going. Only option is to brake out of it, but thats not racing, and neither is pushing other cars off the track...

It seems every race I end up a few positions down because someone crashed into me.

It’s not always a major ram, sometimes it’s just enough of a hit to get me off track. Then a couple people pass by while I try to get back on track and up to speed.

Other times the crashes are more deliberate.

I wish there was some way to fix this. If someone hitting me puts me 10+ seconds behind in one lap, shouldn’t that car get a penalty? Isn’t it easy to detect when one car initiates a crash and the other ends up stuck?

There is a way to fix it, the game needs to force the player benefiting from a bad overtake to give back the position. That's what I do anyway when I make a mistake, I don't press on, instead fall back. Yet that kind of sportmanship is very rare. I've seen it happen and those people have ended up on my friend list. However my block list of dirty drivers is at least 20x bigger...

Just now on the last lap of Suzuka Daily C, I slow down for a ghosted car just before the hairpin left, I don't like driving through them, plus the car in front of me did the same. Yet the car that was still 0.8 seconds behind me sees the opportunity to slide on my inside in the hairpin and use me as a buffer bumping me off track and continues. Then he says sorry in the chat after the race. If you were sorry you wouldn't have pushed through, it's still a hit and run if you don't use the brakes. He was not the only one during the race, yet he had a red rating at the end. That takes a lot of hits in a 10 lap race. For a room with DR.S to DR.B at max SR.S it was also shocking to see 70% of the field had the red dot in the result screen, penalties that were lost during the race. At least make the penalties permanent.

Irresponsible track re-entry needs to be dealt with as well. It happens too often that someone re-enters the track and throws their car right in front of me so I involuntarily give them a boost back up to speed. You don't enter the driving line at low speed. How do these people merge onto highways...

Hear what you're saying, but when someone is clearly faster, better for your race to let them through or you lose too much time fighting

But then you're banking on your improved lap times gaining you more than one position later in the race. If I didn't think I could catch anyone who was on the track in front of me, then I would block the person behind me as much as possible.

I'm banking more on not getting dragged into a mid field dog fight by letting the faster person go through, so maybe i lose a position, but have a clean race with consistent times, helps get the rating changed then at least get less rammers

I've just done the Suzaka 10 lap daily, had 1 rammer and let him go off on his own, won on pit strategy. Gained about 20 SR points too and went upto B - even though he rammed me a couple of times before i released him. Could see on the radar he was ruining other peoples races as well later on. 2nd place was 4 seconds behind after pits, ended up 20 seconds behind me and 4th. could he have had 3rd if he had just let the rammer past him? pretty sure he wouldn't have lost as much time

Yeh, I understand it’s won’t always be clear cut who is at fault but when it’s something as obvious as someone ramming into the back of you, surely they could come up with a system that detects this.
I have been thinking this for a long time, but recently saw it work correctly.
Car in front had a big moment coming out of a hairpin, and I got a tremendous run, he's on the prefered line, but I've got enough of a run to get well clear before the next slow corner (I'm going to steam by long before the mid point of the straight)... he changes lanes at the last second (so late that even getting onto the brake was not enough to avoid contact) and I run into the back of him... he got -Sr... now, I had braked, so the hit was minor and we carried on...
But, that one time I saw how it is maybe meant to work... too bad people use it to their advantage to punt/pass.

Back