How bad is this game for rammers?

• Thread starter Loaf112
  • 117 comments
Ramming, nudging, driving you off the track on the straights has grown exponentially in just the last week. A post Xmas impact no doubt with a tonne of newbies added to the playing pool

The penalties should be MUCH harsher for the guy that passed you and collected the slower guy in front! Happens all the time and I see those guys on the next race!!! Punters like that should be relegated to an F in Sportsmanship Ranking immediately but it doesnt happen! instead they probably didnt lose anything but their B letter became red after the race. And this is sport mode not just an open lobby...

I think maybe the other way around. Reward clean passes, and clean driving. Make the rewards outweigh (or at least be equal to) the penalties. It’s not about punishing the dirty racers, what do you care what happens to them right? You just don’t want to deal with them right? Create a path for a clean racer to make it out of the mud, and this way you won’t need to muck it out in the races.

Dirty racers will race dirty. They won’t have a ton of clean passes or clean sections. And you weigh the penalties and rewards. Consecutive passes with contact? That’s a penalty multiplier. Consecutive clean sections? Reward multiplier.

It is up to you to anticipate that he may break early. You should find an alternate line to pass or it is your fault not his.
This game seems like its about learning the fastest lines and breaking points to qualify and learning secondary routes that can be as fast to take advantage of others mistakes.

You cant anticipate that people brake on points where you dont brake. Especily in group 4 where slipstream is importent. Your reaction speed is not fast enough.

You dont understand me i think with to early beaking i dont mean a little bit to early but allot to early. You just cant see that comming. Unless you can see in the future haha

If inreal racing people brake to early that is a crash so just as in real racing learn the track before you go to race!!!

I got very annoyed yesterday having qualified 3rd with tight times around me expecting a great race.

Guy in 2nd straight away started driving strangely, braking very early, parking on the apex (which is fine) meanwhile P1 is racing ahead, 6 seconds after 1 lap.

2nd lap I get punted by 4th place as I won’t pass 2nd place dirty. I regain 3rd with a 4 second gap to 2nd and guess what. The 4 second stays about the same as 2nd place is all of a sudden driving properly. Why drive like an idiot and really slow in the first place? Was so annoying, almost as bad as ramming. It was like he choked as I was within a second but he clearly had no intention of getting 1st as he let that guy go. Really annoying.

Unfortunately GT Sport is a relatively new game for a lot of people (me included), what with it being included in some PS4 Xmas bundles.

There will always be rammers, but give it some time and the majority of them will move on to the next racing game, or fifa, or cod. It happened with GT6 as well when that came out

I agree I've had game since day one over 600 sport races... I've found first through about 8 is where you want to be... To avoid newer drivers and also the ones that will do anything for one spot because 11th is so much more impressive than 12th...including ruining your race on the first of 10 laps, avoid 3,4 lap races a lot more dirty drivers killing 30 min of free time. 10 lap , pit races is where you find clean battle racing, only have to deal with lapped newbs that have no concept how to let faster traffic pass without incident

But all in all be at SR a or s and the majority will be real racing enthusiasts which makes for amazing international online racing

I’ve given Sport mode a chance again, and it’s somewhat better than the closed beta, maybe because there are more drivers available. The 10 lap race with tire/fuel usage was good, but like the post above mentioned, there were plenty of back markers that have no clue what’s going on. Skidding and weaving all over the place, driving down the center of straights at half speed, just nuts. Literally a free for all at D/B ranks. Guess I have to keep racing to move up the ranks, but right now it’s a seemingly long and tedious road ahead I don’t have time for.

To answer the original question; this game is a rammer’s paradise! You can drive like a total (insert your choice of word here) as long as you don’t care about your ranking.

Drive a clean 10 lap a couple times against c and B's and you'll get your SR up quick, then after SR is up try to qualify around 7th and win a few spots every race and Dr will improve then you'll notice the same names more often and know they are somewhat clean which means it's easier to stay clean and SR high because we all know that it only takes 1 in a race to mess it all up for everyone especially on tracks with hair pin early

What this game is, is an absolute test of your patience. Just how much frustration can you handle. Last 10 lap race I did yesterday, multiple taps from a guy fresh out of the pits and a nice 10 second ramming penalty trying avoid a veyron which had span in the track. Sigh.

Last edited:
What this game is, is an absolute test of your patience. Just how much furstration can you handle. Last 10 lap race I did yesterday, multiple taps from a guy fresh out of the pits and a nice 10 second ramming penalty trying avoid a veyron which had span in the track. Sigh.

Feel your pain.

Forgot to mention being taken out right before the first turn at Dragon Trail by someone with horrendous lag. Knew there’d be a problem when he started right behind me. What luck.

Or, passing a much slower ghosted car (carefully, mind you) and they unghost at the worst time causing both players to crash.

Are there good moments? Yes. But Sport mode is an absolute test of patience for sure.

To answer the original question; this game is a rammer’s paradise! You can drive like a total (insert your choice of word here) as long as you don’t care about your ranking.

I don't care about my ranking and really wish other people would start doing the same. It's just there to decide who you race based on how you race and how fast. Run your race as if it didn't exist and let it do its job in the background. If you're prone to contact, you'll end up in a group with more ghosting and that's where you should stay until you can avoid it. There's no shame in it and you'll enjoy it more as there's less surprises

Artificially inflating SR seems to be the biggest problem in the lower DR's. Rude awakenings incoming when they find they don't have the skills needed for wheel to wheel against a driver with a justified high SR.

Lots of comments about retaliation appearing in here. It's not fight club...

Find a dirty lobby and let the red mist reign rather than being yet another bonehead in the dailies.
Easier said than done! The rammers know who they are, and STILL won't go to a lobby. Probably because they'r afraid to get beat at their own game lol.

I don't care about my ranking and really wish other people would start doing the same. It's just there to decide who you race based on how you race and how fast. Run your race as if it didn't exist and let it do its job in the background. If you're prone to contact, you'll end up in a group with more ghosting and that's where you should stay until you can avoid it. There's no shame in it and you'll enjoy it more as there's less surprises

Artificially inflating SR seems to be the biggest problem in the lower DR's. Rude awakenings incoming when they find they don't have the skills needed for wheel to wheel against a driver with a justified high SR.
Well put!

Last edited by a moderator:
How bad is this game for rammers?

It’s the cleanest online racing experience I have ever had.

You will find some players who don’t play nice and the lower rated bands will have plenty of accidents but once you get to a high enough rank you are almost guaranteed to be competing against people that know what they’re doing.

The rating system is basically pointless

Option 1) dont set a time, start at the back, cruise round not racing anyone, picking up SR points until you're A/S then go and race
Option 2) Try and race honestly, get punted off when on the outside of the hairpin when you've left loads of room/get driven into when on edge of the track and somebody just swipes you and lose all your SR points and just go back down the ratings

Either way, doesn't make for particularly good enjoyable gaming...

Mostly the game is fine. Nowhere near as bad as Forza! What does annoy me is backmarkers who don't get out of the way. I got penalised because a yellow flag waved and said 'no overtaking' but a backmarker was literally not moving on an oval track, I got a 5 second penalty for it. If you're a backmarker, just move out the way - you'll earn our respect that way rather than 'trying' to race us.

Depends on the back marker debate. I got punted off yesterday twice and pitted twice to set fastest lap. Came out amongst the top 4-6 who were on worn tyres. Given I’d qualified 3rd I knew I would be quick if not quicker with the newer tyres so raced, overtook and disappeared. A couple tried swiping me as if to say ‘go away you don’t deserve to be here’ but I passed cleanly which I think I’m entitled to do.
Thoughts?

I feel these rammers are certain people more than others. I'd like to say who but I can't exactly harbour xenophobic thoughts on here.

Unfortunately for every good racer who tries to race clean there are 10 that can’t, it’s common to use the car in front as a brake, to hit one off the track etc... Polyphony could do more so I’m surprised they don’t as the people will change their ways if they are black flagged in a race or have time penalties added afterwards. Sorry rant over...

What does annoy me is backmarkers who don't get out of the way.

Backmarkers should not try to block or intentionally impede a leader but they are not required to "get out of the way" and move off of a normal racing line either.

It is still up to the leaders to safely make their way around and pass any car on the track. Although a lapped driver should not intentionally impede a leader I do not understand why someone thinks that a backmarker should move off of their racing line to allow them to pass, this is not a trackday.

Depends on the back marker debate. I got punted off yesterday twice and pitted twice to set fastest lap. Came out amongst the top 4-6 who were on worn tyres. Given I’d qualified 3rd I knew I would be quick if not quicker with the newer tyres so raced, overtook and disappeared. A couple tried swiping me as if to say ‘go away you don’t deserve to be here’ but I passed cleanly which I think I’m entitled to do.
Thoughts?

Every situation is different as even more so when you are talking about new tires versus old tires and so forth. The faster paced driver still is involved in a race and not a track day even though he may be for what ever reason a lap down.

He has the right to pass anyone on the track that he has a faster pace and can pass cleanly.

The lead driver that attempts to block the lapped driver going past is actually the one that is not using their head and would be much smarter to let a driver go that does not affect his position as the leader rather than risk a crash from contact costing perhaps the lead and race win.

Backmarkers should not try to block or intentionally impede a leader but they are not required to "get out of the way" and move off of a normal racing line either.

It is still up to the leaders to safely make their way around and pass any car on the track. Although a lapped driver should not intentionally impede a leader I do not understand why someone thinks that a backmarker should move off of their racing line to allow them to pass, this is not a trackday.

Agreed, but yeah I'm talking about those who block, veer across, think they're being skillful. In qualifying sessions, if I'm not on a flying lap, I keep well off the racing line, I also slow down so I'm not in someones way mid way through a corner, I make sure I've let them pass me before the corner.

Would be nice if backmarkers just ghosted out for the leaders...

My point becomes more relevant on ovals when its already difficult to overtake anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be nice if backmarkers just ghosted out for the leaders...

I can maybe understand the "ghosting" of cars for wrecks in the lower racing classes. I do not agree with ghosting at all in the upper classes, the same with the "hand of god" putting you back on track after a crash or off track excursion.

Cars crashing in front a racer is part of racing, you win a few, you lose a few but it is your job to avoid the crashing cars.

Ghosting of cars going a lap down just removes another element of race craft which is negotiating slower traffic while maintaining the lead.

A smart racer will work lapped traffic to his advantage and pass in places where he is not slowed while setting up his competition to need to remain behind the car being lapped through a corner or take a slower outside line.

Ghosting cars in my opinion just removes more strategy from a racers bag of tricks.

Take all of the elements of actual races out of the equation then you have not a race with ANY strategy but what boils down to who is better at stringing together hot laps as the game ghost all the other obstacles.

I can maybe understand the "ghosting" of cars for wrecks in the lower racing classes. I do not agree with ghosting at all in the upper classes, the same with the "hand of god" putting you back on track after a crash or off track excursion.

Cars crashing in front a racer is part of racing, you win a few, you lose a few but it is your job to avoid the crashing cars.

Ghosting of cars going a lap down just removes another element of race craft which is negotiating slower traffic while maintaining the lead.

A smart racer will work lapped traffic to his advantage and pass in places where he is not slowed while setting up his competition to need to remain behind the car being lapped through a corner or take a slower outside line.

Ghosting cars in my opinion just removes more strategy from a racers bag of tricks.

Take all of the elements of actual races out of the equation then you have not a race with ANY strategy but what boils down to who is better at stringing together hot laps as the game ghost all the other obstacles.

Yes, what you says makes perfect sense 'in an ideal world'. But online, your race can easily be ruined by someone DELIBERATELY smashing you off. Cars can crash, yeah don't ghost those because I agree its up to you to avoid. But I've had a race where someone deliberately stopped.....so they could get lapped....so they'd be infront of me, to smash me off the track. They got annoyed because a few laps before, I had been nudged by someone, and I had concertina'd into them so they just thought I had hit them off.

Every situation is different as even more so when you are talking about new tires versus old tires and so forth. The faster paced driver still is involved in a race and not a track day even though he may be for what ever reason a lap down.

He has the right to pass anyone on the track that he has a faster pace and can pass cleanly.

The lead driver that attempts to block the lapped driver going past is actually the one that is not using their head and would be much smarter to let a driver go that does not affect his position as the leader rather than risk a crash from contact costing perhaps the lead and race win.
Unless you are actively fighting for a position, common courtesy would dictate a lapped driver should actively move aside when it's safe to do so to allow a much faster and leading driver through. You mentioned track days and I would liken most online racing to trackdays. We're talking about mostly short sprint races with no prizes, just pride on the line. Unlike in real life, if you don't do well in one race you can bugger off for a coffee and start racing again 15 minutes later. If you're running around in last place and not fighting for a postion get out of the way. It costs you nothing and makes everyone's race a little smoother and a little more enjoyable.

Last edited:
should actively move aside when it's safe to do so to allow a much faster and leading driver through.
With the driver doing the overtaking not having a clue as to what the lead car may or may not do as far as changing lines it is actiually safer and less chance of incident for the car being lapped to hold a normal CURRENT racing line than for to change lines and the overtaking driver is changing lines in that direction at the same time to attempt the overtake.

Every real world racing school and drivers meeting I have ever attended it was instructed TO MAINTAIN YOUR LINE, THE FASTER DRIVER WILL COMPLETE THE PASS.

This is done this way for safety reasons to prevent crashes.

With the driver doing the overtaking not having a clue as to what the lead car may or may not do as far as changing lines it is actiually safer and less chance of incident for the car being lapped to hold a normal CURRENT racing line than for to change lines and the overtaking driver is changing lines in that direction at the same time to attempt the overtake.

Every real world racing school and drivers meeting I have ever attended it was instructed TO MAINTAIN YOUR LINE, THE FASTER DRIVER WILL COMPLETE THE PASS.

This is done this way for safety reasons to prevent crashes.
As I've said before, this is not the real world. In the real world you can count on a lapped driver holding his line, especially if he's being overtaken by a leading driver. He'll be hyper aware of everything around him and, of course, will have safety as his paramount concern. In online racing, you can't count on that lapped driver to hold his line and passing on the outside or inside of a corner, for example, often leads to contact. In online racing people often mistake "hold your line and the faster driver will pass you" to mean they can race with the lead driver and don't have to make way for him at all. Every league or organized event I've ever been a part of has always had the lapped drivers moving out of the way out of courtesy unless they are embroiled in a fight for position. It's not hard to do if you watch your mirrors, something you should be doing keenly if you're being lapped, and simply pull off the normal line on the straight sections and slow slightly. Every virtual racing driver who has lead lots of races knows what that means. There are no safety concerns here, only common courtesy and not trying to wreck the other guy's race.

Unfortunately GT Sport is a relatively new game for a lot of people (me included), what with it being included in some PS4 Xmas bundles.

There will always be rammers, but give it some time and the majority of them will move on to the next racing game, or fifa, or cod. It happened with GT6 as well when that came out

I remember that there was a similar post 2-3 months back in a similar topic.Still "rammers" seems to keep playing GTS and not moving on to another game..
This "logic" did not make sense back then,still does not make sense now.

I remember that there was a similar post 2-3 months back in a similar topic.Still "rammers" seems to keep playing GTS and not moving on to another game..
This "logic" did not make sense back then,still does not make sense now.

Makes sense to me. I'm sorry you dont agree with my logic.

My original post also said that there will always be rammer but after time the majority would leave, at no point have I said they will be completely eradicated. Thats never going to happen. And in my experience, the racing has got better recently. Maybe it's because my DR went up, or maybe I've just been lucky with who i'm matched with. But unfortunately your online experience of the game will be different to others, that includes me.

Makes sense to me. I'm sorry you dont agree with my logic.

My original post also said that there will always be rammer but after time the majority would leave, at no point have I said they will be completely eradicated. Thats never going to happen. And in my experience, the racing has got better recently. Maybe it's because my DR went up, or maybe I've just been lucky with who i'm matched with. But unfortunately your online experience of the game will be different to others, that includes me.

DR up makes a massive difference, B is a different world to C

Back