How did Gran Turismo Sport make GT franchise no longer a laughing stock?

• Thread starter o000o
  • 234 comments
What the hell is a carpg?

Maybe GTS is a "go to series" for teenie boppers with a controller but it looses all credibility in an actual sim market. That's not saying it isn't fun playing for what it's worth.
On the contrary, many top sim racers switch between numerous titles, including GTS. Likewise many real like drivers use GTS to keep their skills sharp. No one is under any illusions GTS has the deepest physics modelling, but driver skills are transferable, and the talent pool is deep.

The fact is you can move from sim to sim and they all feel subtly different. Even from sequel to sequel. That’s before we get into mods. It may have changed today, but there was a time when there was a real disconnect between sim and real racing. Real race cars where getting ever easier to drive, with ever more driving aids. While sim cars felt like they could kill you at every corner, with driving aids frowned upon.

Incidentally, a CaRPG is something like the traditional GT single player mode.

From my experience (and that of friends) the Forza Motorsport series peaked with FM4. It also coincided with the GT franchise losing focus and quality control/performance issues. Today however the Forza community heavily favours Horizon. Which is a closer competitor to Need for Speed than GT.
I agree, I have played most of the FM games (FM5 being the only one I missed) and FM4 was hands down the best for it's time. FM7 is frustratingly dull and lifeless, it's got a cracking car list, a decent track list, but when I play the game I don't feel compelled to keep playing. I fire it up every once in a while thinking I'd love to drive that car for a bit, do one race and I'm done.

It's not a bad game if you look at the individual components, but IMO they are put together badly. There's very little motivation for me to play on, no rewards that I want to achieve (the Forzathons are rubbish and force you to play a certain way), the Forza Edition prize cars which offer perks for using them in a certian way is not an idea I like.

On the one hand FM7 is a game that has been positioned as a gamr you can play how you want to play, and it has a great free play mode, but the cards, forzathons and forza edition cars all fly in the face of that in a rather contradictory way and say "play this way for x reward", it's a muddled mess FM7 IMO.

Gran Turismo probably peaked at GT4 in most peoples minds, however I think I prefered GT3 over GT4. It had the more interesting career mode IMO. GT4's had more different events, but GT3 made good use of every car and track.

It had events repeated across different leagues allowing cars too powerful for the lower league event to compete against faster cars. For example, the Beginner, Amature and Professional FF car races, the beginner ones could be won with your first car, the professional event needed a highly tuned car.

It was almost perfect, the career followed the path of tuning your car, sure you had to use other cars but your car had a place nearly all the way through. It felt like every car had plenty of places to use them competitively, exclufding the Formula GT's which were only comeptive in the Formula GT series of course.

GT4 had more cars and more events, but there were a heck of a lot of cars that felt useless, particulalry in stock trim, GT3 had that nailed. Like GT3, Forza 4 got almost everything right, the variation in the events, having events for simialr types of cars but in different performance classes, it didn't shoehorn you into doing X number of drifts in a race in Y car for Z reward like FM7 does. It was great. FM7's career mode iby contrast is dreadful.

I'm far less interested in games in general now than I was, well not less interested but less involved in them, and that certainly is playing it's part in how I view them, but I can still fire up GT3 or GT4 and enjoy them and I can enjoy them for longer bouts than FM7. GT Sport is a more focused game than FM7, but it's far from perfect. All of the games have pro's and con's, some are hard to put into words, like the way a game feels, it's polish or X factor.

Regardless, if GT7 can combine a great career mode like GT3's with a car selection like FM7's, a great track selection and the Sport mode of GT Sport, I think you'd have a pretty damn good game that should keep people hooked for a good while.

Last edited:
In what universe? You seem biased.

GTS pros:

Best car and track models
Transparent physics
Deep online lobbies
Free DLC cars and tracks
Adjustable interior cameras
VR compatible
DS4 motion control support
Mature creative direction

GTS cons:

Outdated design choices
Nonexistent AI
Economy promotes micro-transactions
Stiff chase camera
Lack of singleplayer fun and features
No community challenges
Leaderboards are almost nonexistent

FM7 pros:

Large amount of content
Rotatable chase camera
Weekly and monthly community challenges
Free Play mode
Interactive cars in main menu
More leaderboards
Rain although not dynamic

FM7 cons:

Favors modifications over stock setups
Shallow career mode
Quirky physics
Dumb AI
Majority of new content has been paid DLC
Online lobbies lack depth
Very inconsistent quality control
Fixed interior cameras, which by default are way off in most cars
Immature creative direction

GT is certainly mature but far from creative. Forza isn't immature but more accessible to more audiences.

And both have iffy physics.

It's... not a laughing stock? Only time I've seen that is in console wars which should be ignored.
Well yeah I got that mainly from console wars, but that time GT is really on the losing side.

What the hell is a carpg?

Maybe GTS is a "go to series" for teenie boppers with a controller but it looses all credibility in an actual sim market. That's not saying it isn't fun playing for what it's worth.

Graphics are a great thing but that doesn't take the cake for the full experience. I'll always love Gran Turismo for teaching me about cars I never knew about. There was nothing like racing ordinary every day sedans around tracks fictional or real. They can turn around the divisiveness with GT7 so I'll wait to see what happens but with other titles out there filling in the major gaps now in just about all categories except for graphics, it's going to be hard for them to pull away again. Looking like they will try and corner the sim-cade market of car games.
The reason I want the full complete car list again, even with people disagreeing for current GT ones. I'm attracted to GT for it's encyclopedic-qualities.

From my understanding "carpg" refers to games that put a bigger emphasis on collecting cars than racing them. To me personally the only GT game that feels like a Carpg is GT5, and that's because of the leveling system which is a typical backbone component to a RPG game.
GT always have RPG elements before GT5 too:
  • When you win you gain money (in place of experience).
  • You can then have enough money to buy new kit, and upgrading parts replaces the upgrade cycle of buying new armor and weapons.
  • Both raise your stats so you can take on tougher opponents, and you also get new cars instead of party members.
  • And quite often you'll be grinding the races for more money and selling off the prize cars.
I agree, I have played most of the FM games (FM5 being the only one I missed) and FM4 was hands down the best for it's time. FM7 is frustratingly dull and lifeless, it's got a cracking car list, a decent track list, but when I play the game I don't feel compelled to keep playing. I fire it up every once in a while thinking I'd love to drive that car for a bit, do one race and I'm done.

It's not a bad game if you look at the individual components, but IMO they are put together badly. There's very little motivation for me to play on, no rewards that I want to achieve (the Forzathons are rubbish and force you to play a certain way), the Forza Edition prize cars which offer perks for using them in a certian way is not an idea I like.

On the one hand FM7 is a game that has been positioned as a gamr you can play how you want to play, and it has a great free play mode, but the cards, forzathons and forza edition cars all fly in the face of that in a rather contradictory way and say "play this way for x reward", it's a muddled mess FM7 IMO.

Gran Turismo probably peaked at GT4 in most peoples minds, however I think I prefered GT3 over GT4. It had the more interesting career mode IMO. GT4's had more different events, but GT3 made good use of every car and track.

It had events repeated across different leagues allowing cars too powerful for the lower league event to compete against faster cars. For example, the Beginner, Amature and Professional FF car races, the beginner ones could be won with your first car, the professional event needed a highly tuned car.

It was almost perfect, the career followed the path of tuning your car, sure you had to use other cars but your car had a place nearly all the way through. It felt like every car had plenty of places to use them competitively, exclufding the Formula GT's which were only comeptive in the Formula GT series of course.

GT4 had more cars and more events, but there were a heck of a lot of cars that felt useless, particulalry in stock trim, GT3 had that nailed. Like GT3, Forza 4 got almost everything right, the variation in the events, having events for simialr types of cars but in different performance classes, it didn't shoehorn you into doing X number of drifts in a race in Y car for Z reward like FM7 does. It was great. FM7's career mode iby contrast is dreadful.

I'm far less interested in games in general now than I was, well not less interested but less involved in them, and that certainly is playing it's part in how I view them, but I can still fire up GT3 or GT4 and enjoy them and I can enjoy them for longer bouts than FM7. GT Sport is a more focused game than FM7, but it's far from perfect. All of the games have pro's and con's, some are hard to put into words, like the way a game feels, it's polish or X factor.

Regardless, if GT7 can combine a great career mode like GT3's with a car selection like FM7's, a great track selection and the Sport mode of GT Sport, I think you'd have a pretty damn good game that should keep people hooked for a good while.
So that's the appeal of GT3's career for you, that it's the repeated events that give every FF cars place (this concept was introduced in GT2 too where 1 event have different license requirement and power limit). At first glance it looked like duplicate events....But for me, some specific repeated events like GT World Championship, doesn't appeal to me. What I liked is also the mysterious final event (Formula GT at the end).

But yeah that's the dilema. Lots of cars that felt useless (for complete car list), but people like you disliking the career that shoehorn you into doing X number of drifts in Y car for Z reward. But that is the way to have the player experience most cars.

I think many felt that GT no longer needs career mode, as per GTS, because online racing have taken place (in general gaming too) though I hoped for that with renewed system, such outdated wants...

The trend is that people who played since GT1 have been switching to Forza, and never look back apart from totally mocking the former franchise they followed (GT).
I've played since GT1, switched to Forza because of the superior Xbox One X hardware, but have realised the error of my ways and recently bought a PS4 specifically to play GT Sport. The graphics aren't as good as Forza on the Xbox One X, but there are many elements of the gameplay that are much better in GT Sport than Forza. There are some advantages that Forza has over GT Sport, for sure, but nobody can pretend Forza doesn't have huge problems at the moment and players abandoning it in droves for similar reasons to me.

People complain about the FFB in GT Sport, but I played with a controller for a week, then started using a wheel and was very quickly matching or beating my controller times. In Forza, I spent ages trying to do a good time with a wheel, and despairing at getting nowhere, then got my controller out and immediately went TEN SECONDS faster than the wheel time I'd spent ages achieving. The game is an absolute joke with a wheel, at least with some cars, other cars can be okay.

People complain about the grind for cars in GT Sport, but it seems to me that most of the cars you actually need are fairly easy to get. OTOH the recent Festival Playlist feature in FH4 caused a huge backlash from the players, as the game is basically giving people a weekly chore list of really stupid dull stuff you have to do or you'll miss the chance to unlock cars. It took me around 600 hours of gameplay in FH4 to get all the cars, I don't know how that compares to how long it would take to get them all in GT Sport? And then once you've got them, you've got hours of chores to do each week to get the new cars that become available and you have to do it each week because they're only available for that one week.

And people complain about non-linear throttle, the list of problems like that in FH4 is huge. I simply couldn't be bothered to spend the time reporting them all to them, it would be a full time job for weeks. I did spend a few hours reporting problems to them via their ticket system, and not a single problem I've ever reported has been fixed, that I can think of.

So that's the appeal of GT3's career for you, that it's the repeated events that give every FF cars place (this concept was introduced in GT2 too where 1 event have different license requirement and power limit). At first glance it looked like duplicate events....But for me, some specific repeated events like GT World Championship, doesn't appeal to me. What I liked is also the mysterious final event (Formula GT at the end).
GT2 had a lot of races, not championships. GT3 trumped GT2 because it had a good mix of championships and single race events. GT2 was almost too fast, win a race, win a car, win a race, win a car, it was a fantastic game but the career didn't have the depth to it that GT3 had. And because GT2 was built mostly about single races, there were again a lot of cars that had very few places to actually use them.

I liked that GT3 had a good mix of single race events and series events (like GT4), that there was an event where a 150bhp FF car was competetive, one where you needed a 230bhp FF car and one where you needed over 300bhp. The issue here though is that this is what appealed to me, what appeals to you and other people is perhaps very different.

But yeah that's the dilema. Lots of cars that felt useless (for complete car list), but people like you disliking the career that shoehorn you into doing X number of drifts in Y car for Z reward. But that is the way to have the player experience most cars.
Or you could have a career mode like Forza 4, which lots of events where one car might be useful in 4 or 5 of them. Forza 4 nailed it, like GT3, Forza 7 has 1 event for each car. There's no point in buying a car and tuning it up, the car comes with the homologated spec for it's one event.

The homologated events in FM7 would have been good, if they were just a part of the career and there were other events where you could pick any FF car upto a certain bhp, any car from the 70's, and car in Performance class B etc. The way FM7's career was structured rendered modifications useless and took away most of the feeling of having "your car".

I think many felt that GT no longer needs career mode, as per GTS, because online racing have taken place (in general gaming too) though I hoped for that with renewed system, such outdated wants...
I think it does, there's a place for online focused games, but they aren't for everyone. I'm very much a single player person, and a cracking career mode is ideal for me. A game that combines a great career like GT3 or FM4 with GT Sports Sport mode would suit a lot of people.

it didn't shoehorn you into doing X number of drifts in a race in Y car for Z reward like FM7 does. It was great. FM7's career mode iby contrast is dreadful.
While I don't exactly disagree with a lot of what you said, this part isn't entirely correct. Forza 4 had cars that were locked, and that required very, very, specific means of obtaining them.

They were called Unicorn cars, and were not obtainable(for the most part) through normal gameplay. Most were acquired completely outside of the game, and required the use of the forums and entering judged events in order to win, or participating in guessing games. So the past games very much did shoehorn you to play a specific way.

In short, it's been following that same method for many, many iterations and what's going on now isn't anything new, just expanded upon and actually makes it a lot more accessible than it was in the past, ten-fold.

The way FM7's career was structured rendered modifications useless and took away most of the feeling of having "your car".
It really didn't though, because you can still modify, tune, and put liveries on any car you wanted within that class. You were just spec'd to a certain limit.

Forza 4 didn't really have a career, per se. It had some linear progression path if you wanted to actually follow it, but who really did? Everyone went straight to the race selection list, because that's where all the good races were. That's not a career though, that's just a long list of races that you can do in any order that don't really affect anything in the slightest that, for the most part, had some differences in structure and requirements. I'm not complaining though, because I loved it.

Last edited:
While I don't exactly disagree with a lot of what you said, this part isn't entirely correct. Forza 4 had cars that were locked, and that required very, very, specific means of obtaining them.

They were called Unicorn cars, and were not obtainable(for the most part) through normal gameplay. Most were acquired completely outside of the game, and required the use of the forums and entering judged events in order to win, or participating in guessing games. So the past games very much did shoehorn you to play a specific way.

In short, it's been following that same method for many, many iterations and what's going on now isn't anything new, just expanded upon and actually makes it a lot more accessible than it was in the past, ten-fold.
This is true, and that is a downside to Forza, but what came on the disks, what was included in the game was fantastic. I wasn't a fan then, not a fan now of the unicorn cars or the Forzathons, but FM4 was a much better single player game than 7 IMO. Give me the old fashioned win x car for winning y event over Forzathon any day of the week.

It really didn't though, because you can still modify, tune, and put liveries on any car you wanted within that class. You were just spec'd to a certain limit.
Again, true, however whenever you bought a car it came with all the parts needed to compete it in it's event, there was no point in tuning the car. There was no point, within the career mode at least, to buying a Civic and making it 4wd and giving it a 500bhp engine. You couldn't use it anywhere in the career mode becuase the car had one event and it had a number of restrictions (which I'm fine with) for that one event, but that was it. If there was another event for 500bhp 4wd cars, great, that's a great use of my 4wd 500bhp Civic. And every car was dealt the same poor hand, it had one heavilly restricted event to enter.

Forza 4 didn't really have a career, per se. It had some linear progression path if you wanted to actually follow it, but who really did? Everyone went straight to the race selection list, because that's where all the good races were. That's not a career though, that's just a long list of races that you can do in any order that don't really affect anything in the slightest that, for the most part, had some differences in structure and requirements. I'm not complaining though, because I loved it.
I count the race selection list as part of the career mode. The calendar was simply the games suggested events but it was built right into the career mode that you could enter any race you had an eligible car for. And I had plenty of cars I used over and over and over again in several events and then tuned them and used them in yet more events. You can't do that in FM7.

I appreciate all of this is just about opinion, mine isn't everyones, I'm very probably in the minority in that I don't like to game online. A lot of modern games seem to take the stance that it has to sacrifice an offline experience for an online one or vice versa, but other than being lazy in your approach I don't see why you can't have a great offline career and have all of the online features that players who prefer to race online want as well.

Last edited:
GT2 had a lot of races, not championships. GT3 trumped GT2 because it had a good mix of championships and single race events. GT2 was almost too fast, win a race, win a car, win a race, win a car, it was a fantastic game but the career didn't have the depth to it that GT3 had. And because GT2 was built mostly about single races, there were again a lot of cars that had very few places to actually use them.

I liked that GT3 had a good mix of single race events and series events (like GT4), that there was an event where a 150bhp FF car was competetive, one where you needed a 230bhp FF car and one where you needed over 300bhp. The issue here though is that this is what appealed to me, what appeals to you and other people is perhaps very different.

Or you could have a career mode like Forza 4, which lots of events where one car might be useful in 4 or 5 of them. Forza 4 nailed it, like GT3, Forza 7 has 1 event for each car. There's no point in buying a car and tuning it up, the car comes with the homologated spec for it's one event.

The homologated events in FM7 would have been good, if they were just a part of the career and there were other events where you could pick any FF car upto a certain bhp, any car from the 70's, and car in Performance class B etc. The way FM7's career was structured rendered modifications useless and took away most of the feeling of having "your car".

I think it does, there's a place for online focused games, but they aren't for everyone. I'm very much a single player person, and a cracking career mode is ideal for me. A game that combines a great career like GT3 or FM4 with GT Sports Sport mode would suit a lot of people.
Well, for GT3's GT2 resemblance I talked about events like FF event, where both in GT2 and GT3 they aren't championship races. Of course GT3 triumphed GT2 and has more depth, like Type-R meeting being restricted to certain type of car. Things I like in GT4 over GT3 was that it places events in the place they belong, like country events in country places, and manufacturer races in the manufacturer menu. I prefer that to events like manufacturer taking place in main event hall (and unlike the drivetrain races in GT3, those have limited variations, like Beginner to Amateur Type-R Meeting's change was few; only add up an NSX).

I do want the GT career (like for GT7's) to have the player experience every kind of car that's in game, be it subcompacts, everyday cars, sport cars, supercars, GT cars, Le Mans cars, Formula 1-like car, historic rally cars, present-day rally cars, VGTs, etc. They have done it in like GT6 but only for motorsports like NASCAR. But yeah figuring it to make it not that forced (like for example, NASCAR events, like in GT5/GT6, are only 1 event).

GT5 and GT6 were both an inconsistent mess of a game.
Gt sport was the return to form.

If review scores were accurate sport would score many points higher than gt5 and gt6.

This is true, and that was a downside to Forza, but what came on the disks, what was included in the game was fantastic. I wasn't a fan then, not a fan now, but FM4 was a much better single player game than 7 IMO.
I agree. Forza 4 actually had a lack of structure with it's career mode, It was just a selection list of hundreds of little tiles. That's kind of what I liked about it though, to be honest. I think what the problem is, and the main difference being, is that they tried to add structure to it with recent iterations. Whatever they did, it didn't keep my attention as long as FM4's list did.

Again, true, however whenever you bought a car it came with all the parts needed to compete it in it's event, there was no point in tuning the car.
I disagree, becuase what they gave you for free always happened to make the car dreadful. I didn't like them at all, so I would buy them stock and adjust them myself. It didn't come with all the parts, it came with a combination of auto-applied parts with no rhyme or reason as to why they chose what they did. What the game chooses always tends to be worse off, because its always auto applied.

There was no point within the career mode at least to buying a Civic and making it 4wd and giving it a 500bhp engine. You couldn't use it anywhere in the career mode becuase the car had one event and it had a number of restrictions (which I'm fine with) for that one event, but that was it.
That was because of the homologation they added in. I didn't really like this new addition, at all. It all but killed the Rivals mode for me. I'm just glad they reverted and released PI-based rivals down the line, and I'm hoping it's something they do with the career as well for the next iteration. Although, I'm not entirely on-board with jumping into Forza off the bat this time around.

I count the race selection list as part of the career mode. The calendar was simply the games suggested events but it was built right into the career mode that you could enter any race you had an eligible car for. And I had plenty of cars I used over an over and over again in several events and then tuned them and used them in yet more events. You can't do that in FM7.
Eh, just personal differences then. When I think of Career, i think of some sort of progression system. This was just something willy nilly, like a check lists of sorts that can be done in absolutely any manner, rather than an actual career. In my opinion, at least.

The actual career path, had you chosen to take it, had similar restricted requirements in it. Using some sort of hypercar, picking a car from Japan, RWD class, AWD class, things like that. All the good ones that had less restrictions were in the calendar, though. They just took it to another level recently. My favorites where the open races that just required you to have the top PI for whatever class you were joining. Many times I took a little grocery getter into a higher class for no reason other than stupid fun. That's what I miss, really.

If review scores were accurate sport would score many points higher than gt5 and gt6.
Can you elaborate for the messes? Apart from the general knowledge standard cars and vacuum cleaner sounds obviously.

Reviews are becoming useless these days as games tend to be so different a year down the line compared to when they were released. No Man's Sky the prime example.

CJ

No Man's Sky is an excellent example of this.

The trend is that people who played since GT1 have been switching to Forza, and never look back apart from totally mocking the former franchise they followed (GT).

Define "trend". It sounds like you're seeing what you want to see. Even more pertinent: define "laughing stock".

I've played GT since the first game. I played the first FM briefly on my university roommate's Xbox, but swore it off as a died-in-the-wool PlayStation fan — hey, we're all young and naive once.

FM4's pre-release hype capitalized on what I considered the weak areas of GT5 back in 2011. I picked up an X360 and have since stuck with both franchises. They both do some things better and worse than each other, and in terms of physics are actually far more alike than to something like AC (or real life for that matter).

This all just reads as an unsubtle way to stoke the us-versus-them attitude that is problematic in sim racing. I can't imagine someone who genuinely enjoys cars would limit themselves to a single title. That's missing out on so much of what the genre offers, and I'm not even talking about just GT and FM, but all the other great titles out there right now. This is probably the best generation to be a racing game fan.

This all just reads as an unsubtle way to stoke the us-versus-them attitude that is problematic in sim racing. I can't imagine someone who genuinely enjoys cars would limit themselves to a single title. That's missing out on so much of what the genre offers, and I'm not even talking about just GT and FM, but all the other great titles out there right now. This is probably the best generation to be a racing game fan.

I feel the same way as there are so many options to choose from with something for everyone. Yes, each game has their pros and cons, but these comparisons should be debated about in a mature fashion. We should all be open-minded and try each of the games available at least once. The only reason why I am focused on GT and play it exclusively is because of the limited amount of time I have in my life. I played PC2 for the first time at the New York Auto Show this past Saturday with VR, motion and wind simulator and had a blast! I also participated in one of the Forza 7 tournaments and got 2nd place with a very close and mostly clean racing throughout. We do not need division within the sim racing community, in general, we need to be welcoming to each other.

GT6 is a great game if you ignore the graphical inconsistencies(my opinion of course). GT5 was definitely the black sheep. GT6 improved on five in every meaningful way but the hate rolled over because of the PS2 models and because GT5 had prettier lighting.

No Man's Sky is an excellent example of this.

That's a bad example because No Man's Sky was practically contentless upon launch. GT has never been devoid of content. They do however take ages to respond to anyone.

It was and still is an amalgam of bad design choices, like including PS2 textures or employing a 20 million credit limit.

GT6 was the only one(on PS3) that brought notable improvements to the table. GT5 sent people to GTPlanet because no one could figure out how to advance in the game lest they were a gearhead, engineer or 13 year old with an empty summer ahead of him.

6 and Sport are playable without massive amounts of help from the internet. First time in GT's life.

GT Sport is the worst GT to date. PD have been losing it bit by bit over the years.

Unfortunate but true. But they are still making money so what do they care.

That's a bad example because No Man's Sky was practically contentless upon launch. GT has never been devoid of content. They do however take ages to respond to anyone.

It’s actually not a bad example at all since both games began their respective life cycles with limited content that they’ve considerably expanded upon post-launch.

Then what should be improved of it, that is 'relevant' according to yours? If car list is redundant and probably, track lists too.

I have played every GT since GT1 and many of the Forza titles including Forza 7, if anything Forza is a laughing stock by comparison. The cars are comparably much easier to drive and drive fast. Forza may have a much larger car selection but over half of the cars in Forza 7 are the same cars over and over again with different paint jobs. How many Indy or NASCAR cars does a person need with varying paint jobs? I would say the people who think GT is a "laughing stock" are the arcade racers where the hard core racers probably prefer GT. For example, I like Forzas idea of user adjustable air pressure, unfortunately it does not seem very realistic in the game or real life by comparison, it just seems like a tuning option thats there just to say it has adjustable air pressure.

Between the flaks of the game like huge doubt of the game at launch, the lacking car list (far fewer than Forza, though actually similar to GT1/GT3), the still almost non-existent visual damage (dunno about the mechanical one), and the low score this game get compared to competitors (7.5 from IGN); with GT4 Prologue-like Career mode may take part of that....how did GT Sport managed to make GT no longer a laughing stock (GT in PS3 era started becoming that)? (judging by the comments).

The only laughing stock about GT was their sound simulation. PD could have made the same formula with GTSport and most fans would still love it.

The only laughing stock about GT was their sound simulation. PD could have made the same formula with GTSport and most fans would still love it.
But at the same time people are complaining about how much worse the sound has got in Forza:

Define "trend". It sounds like you're seeing what you want to see. Even more pertinent: define "laughing stock".

I've played GT since the first game. I played the first FM briefly on my university roommate's Xbox, but swore it off as a died-in-the-wool PlayStation fan — hey, we're all young and naive once.

FM4's pre-release hype capitalized on what I considered the weak areas of GT5 back in 2011. I picked up an X360 and have since stuck with both franchises. They both do some things better and worse than each other, and in terms of physics are actually far more alike than to something like AC (or real life for that matter).

It's an (unsettlingly) a very popular sentiment here I'm afraid.

Here in this thread for example:
GT Sport is the worst GT to date. PD have been losing it bit by bit over the years.

Unfortunate but true. But they are still making money so what do they care.
And loads others on the other threads. I meant most come only for the negatives, not even a neutral discussion...

I've played every GT to death since GT1. There has always been flaws and bugs etc. But since GT5 I personally expected the game to be fully fixed before GT6 was released. The trend has continued where PD (probably Sony) seem to think "that's good enough for them, we want more money now".

A lot of the more outspoken positive people seem like they accept or ignore the bad things so good for them.

GT Sport has relegated me to being a casual gamer, I just don't play it as much for many reasons.

I agree with this. If you have played GT5 and GT6, you would know more about it.

I have played every GT since GT1 and many of the Forza titles including Forza 7, if anything Forza is a laughing stock by comparison. The cars are comparably much easier to drive and drive fast. Forza may have a much larger car selection but over half of the cars in Forza 7 are the same cars over and over again with different paint jobs. How many Indy or NASCAR cars does a person need with varying paint jobs? I would say the people who think GT is a "laughing stock" are the arcade racers where the hard core racers probably prefer GT. For example, I like Forzas idea of user adjustable air pressure, unfortunately it does not seem very realistic in the game or real life by comparison, it just seems like a tuning option thats there just to say it has adjustable air pressure.
Wasn't GT is the one people consider that in the car selection (pre-GTS)? With the Japanese duplicates, and also having NASCAR cars with different paint jobs., etc.

Remember the other reason GT (starts at PS3 era) was a "laughing stock" was its sound. And people seeing videos, where GT looks worse than it's on front of TV and thinking GT physics are horrible where "cars don't bounce", etc. to the point that it was trendy to hate GT that time.

I've played every GT to death since GT1. There has always been flaws and bugs etc. But since GT5 I personally expected the game to be fully fixed before GT6 was released. The trend has continued where PD (probably Sony) seem to think "that's good enough for them, we want more money now".

A lot of the more outspoken positive people seem like they accept or ignore the bad things so good for them.

GT Sport has relegated me to being a casual gamer, I just don't play it as much for many reasons.
Couldn’t disagree more.

I too have played Gran Turismo since GT1, along with most of the major sims on the market. No one would disagree GTS launch undercooked and lacked content. However, in terms of the driving model, car/track model accuracy, sound design, user interface, performance & post launch support. It’s light years ahead of previous GT’s. Special praise has to go out to the implementation of Sport Mode which has revolutionised online racing in the console market.

Similarly, although PD weren’t first on the market with a livery creator. It’s class leading and added tremendously to the appeal of GTS for me. Seeing and collecting the 962 liveries today is like a meta game in itself. I’ve lost many hours creating and sorting through designs.

As it stands today. All I want from GT7 is the addition of the aforementioned CaRPG mode and weather options. In the meantime GTS is my most played PS4 title to date and retains my interest with regular updates and events.

Been playing since GT1 and never thought GT games were a laughing stock. Some were better, some were worse, but even the worse were decent/good.

GTSport is better than GT6 and GT5 but I'm biased because the livery editor, scapes and graphics in general are something I'd dreamed of since GT4.

If GTsport didn't have the livery editor though, I seriously think it would be a broken game. It's the saving grace of GTS IMO.

Racing online is still great and at the of end of the day that's what matters. GT still pulls me back in to race.

Laughing stock types of games would never pull me back into them after playing them once.

Been playing since GT1 and never thought GT games were a laughing stock. Some were better, some were worse, but even the worse were decent/good.

GTSport is better than GT6 and GT5 but I'm biased because the livery editor, scapes and graphics in general are something I'd dreamed of since GT4.

If GTsport didn't have the livery editor though, I seriously think it would be a broken game. It's the saving grace of GTS IMO.

Racing online is still great and at the of end of the day that's what matters. GT still pulls me back in to race.

Laughing stock types of games would never pull me back into them after playing them once.
Now as GT already have livery editor...the thing's left is, the visual modification. Would like the Racing Modifications (for majority of cars) to come back (as there's livery editor, probably ok to left the car color untouched), and I want the fictional Gr cars to serve as the cars' RMs.

Back