How do you define success and how would you achieve it

• Thread starter DR_MOJO91
  • 115 comments

How do you define success and how would you achieve it

• Total voters
Usually people need to understand there's a peaking order in society. Failures in life tend to have nothing to show for what they preach about so they usually try to divert anything away from the materialistic level, so they'll play up on sentiment.

Usually people need to understand there's a peaking order in society. Failures in life tend to have nothing to show for what they preach about so they usually try to divert anything away from the materialistic level, so they'll play up on sentiment.

Please explain what the pecking (I assume you didn't mean peaking) order is based on.

Edit:

Also please explain what you mean by "nothing to show for".

You went from making an ass out of yourself to quoting ridiculous statements as if you’re reading a bible.

Bullcrapians 2:12..

Good luck storing up time...besides, most folks never want too much spare time nor too little spare time, so each must find what's best for them. "Pecking order" is crafted by people who need to feel superior to others. You need it in some places, but finances and ownership is by no means the same for everyone. But it sounds like you want to categorize those you disagree with. Some people do change their minds on what they want out of life. Nobody is programmed to destiny.

If you want to live your life from everyone else's ideas, your culture comes out of a jar, your life's script comes from the wet dreams of advertisers, and want to surround yourself only with those alike, then good for you. It's not for everyone. You've come here looking for advice, and you want to redefine success by arguing on the internet. By golly, you're successful.

I'd define success in doing what you want to do with minimal interference in others' choices in doing the same, and getting to live a life where you have some wonderful memories and experiences. I won't say money is or is not part of the answer; it's essentially form of potential energy, and it sure helps not having to worry about it. Sometimes you use it wisely, sometimes you use a little at a time, and other times you waste it. It's personally nice enough to reach the point where you don't have to think about it all the time (it obviously motivates others to do so, but I also enjoy my rest each night).

But I'll tell you this: more things owned and more time spent chasing it and maintaining it all can leave you drained. It reduces a lot of flexibility, something I enjoy (some people like a more rigid schedule). As an elder client of mine once told me: The bigger house means a longer walk to the refrigerator.

Last edited:
Coming from someone who got so heated over a video game argument, he resorted to posting his 1-month old car as his trump card over another user.
That individual got 'ethered' after that post, no comeback from that if you ask me. So I'll probably hear the same sour grapes. It's quite funny the individual that is being ignored is still trying to say stuff, man this guy is persistent. Accomplishments will always destroy words with no action. People will always make every excuse, and they'll pound away with the pseudo aspect of being content because they lack the will power to do anything that challenges their life.

Do I see that individual's post as negative from my stance, no but I don't see it as positive either. I see their stance as useless to further one's life in terms of investment simply based on their position and accomplishments, which is a cold blooded thing to say since I'm writing off that person. Social aspects may be a big deal for some people and what not, but for me I don't care about that, some people are far more regimented and disciplined than others to go the extra mile and willing to make that sacrifice. As for people being humble and positive its subjective, but I'm not going to be a person that spread those attributes to certain individuals, in essence I write them off because to me I see them as investment anchors, useless basically.

Last edited:
That individual got 'ethered' after that post, no comeback from that if you ask me. So I'll probably hear the same sour grapes.
That individual was me. You posted your car, and brought up your work as an attempt to try to win an argument and simultaneously belittle someone(much like you keep trying to do here), over a discussion about a video game. That was also way before you posted anything about how you're humble and positive.

Long story short, he was continuously called out about statements that were flat out incorrect, so in order to "put someone in their place" he posted his BMW and brought up his job in an attempt to let everyone in the discussion know how superior he was. That was prior to all the shenanigans here.

EDIT: Didn't realize I basically already said this just 2 posts ago :lol:

Last edited:
Long story short, he was continuously called out about statements that were flat out incorrect, so in order to "put someone in their place" he posted his BMW and brought up his job in an attempt to let everyone in the discussion know how superior he was. That was prior to all the shenanigans here.

Ah man, I'm sad I missed that.

Social aspects may be a big deal for some people and what not, but for me I don't care about that...

Probably just as well you think like that because your pedestal is so high no one could reach you anyway.

Does lead to the question though... If all you really care about is your degree, your car, job and money, why are you even here ? It's clear no one here is on your level to help you with this.

After one user literally went from nothing to a self-made Lamborghini owner in 10 years, another actually purchasing one of the world's fastest vehicles, and yet another having a full-time racing career thanks to Gran Turismo...I'm afraid that simply owning a BMW means little to us in comparison.

Actually, I'm just saying all this to give you a goal to aim for (or maybe an inferiority complex).

It's quite funny the individual that is being ignored is still trying to say stuff, man this guy is persistent. Accomplishments will always destroy words with no action. People will always make every excuse, and they'll pound away with the pseudo aspect of being content because they lack the will power to do anything that challenges their life.

Do I see that individual's post as negative from my stance, no but I don't see it as positive either. I see their stance as useless to further one's life in terms of investment simply based on their position and accomplishments, which is a cold blooded thing to say since I'm writing off that person. Social aspects may be a big deal for some people and what not, but for me I don't care about that, some people are far more regimented and disciplined than others to go the extra mile and willing to make that sacrifice. As for people being humble and positive its subjective, but I'm not going to be a person that spread those attributes to certain individuals, in essence I write them off because to me I see them as investment anchors, useless basically.
It's hilarious how you try to go from Motivational Speaker to Internet Memester and back again in just a few short posts. It's also deliciously hypocritical of yourself because you fail to practice what you preach.

Your issue is that your posts come from r/humblebrag and it seems whenever someone's response to you is anything but stroking your ego about your M2, or your profession, or your degree, you decide to be confrontational. This whole thread is proof enough under the guise of some knock-off Tony Robbins who uses his philosophical posts about achievements as means to prop his own accomplishments up whilst also demeaning others. Again, pure hypocrisy with all the positivity/negativity references. The problem you've run into is that no one here is impressed by it and your desire to know the background of others got shut down by @Imari who saw it exactly for what it was; ammunition to push back against whoever decided to cross your path.

And maybe the reason you're doing it here is because you've reached an age in life and found out nobody in the real world was as impressed as you wanted them to be. I mean, it really is far easier to start a topic on a forum about personal success that's an attempt to really just discuss yourself than to do so in a personal surrounding where people walk away or change the topic.

I don't think success is measured by one's assets. Some people are privileged, some are not. What I consider success is bettering yourself through hard work and honesty. It doesn't matter if you have a degree or not, own an expensive car or property.

At the end of the day, if you are happy and have managed to improve your quality of life at some point; that is all that matters.

I don't think success is measured by one's assets. Some people are privileged, some are not. What I consider success is bettering yourself through hard work and honesty. It doesn't matter if you have a degree or not, own an expensive car or property.

At the end of the day, if you are happy and have managed to improve your quality of life at some point; that is all that matters.

I don't think you can measure success in terms of assets in absolute terms, but it can absolutely form a part of how you measure your own success.

I know I've struggled historically to bargain effectively for salary, mostly because I don't really care about money that much. I know it's just a number, and my lifestyle really doesn't require very much for me to be secure and happy. On the other hand, being paid a lot is also an indicator that you're doing your job well and that your effort is valued.

It's important to note that it's not infallible and the contrary is not true. If you're getting paid a lot, you're probably doing a good job but not necessarily. I know people who are marginally competent who just happened to get hired at the right time and have been clocking up yearly percentage raises to get to a number way over what they're legitimately worth. Likewise, just because you're not being paid a lot doesn't mean you suck. You may be unlucky with your timing in the job market, you may have an employer that can't afford more, you may be too passive about money to demand what you're worth like me.

And any salary isn't really that comparable to anyone else. Is an IT guy getting paid $200k doing a better job than a lab tech getting paid $60k? Maybe, but probably the difference is mostly down to demand. The only guaranteed meaningful comparison is to yourself, and even then it requires a bit of awareness that there are other factors that you have no control over as well.

The most important things for me are:

• Having a roof over my head
  • Continue to have a good relationship with my closest friends and family
  • being able to provide for myself and potential future family
  • have good health

If I'm able to achieve most or rather all of these goals, then I can certainly sit down and look back and say "Yeah, this was a good/successful life I've led"

I've certainly noticed, that I've grown in that department, as even as of 3 years ago really thought, that you can only measure success in materialistic things, such a nice, big house and nice car, going on vacations, but that's not who I am and how I really measure success. I still have a long way ahead of me, however with the changes, that I've made in my personal life and work enviroment, I've taken a few crucial steps, that has led me on what seems to be the right path.

I think the ultimate "success" moment would be, if I'm sitting in a comfortable chair, in a fully paid house, in front of a fireplace, potentially with the people that I hold dear and near to my heart, a pet and a glass of a fine single malt and just stare into the flames and sit there in silence - being content, and ultimately happy.
I know that sounds weird, but that's my ultimate success.

I am terribly sorry old chap in that I have a degree and thus I am 'at your level'. Do you want me to shred it so you can have a sense of being superior again?

It is rather nice that you have a nice BMW. Although at the expense of being a hermit as you imply, I think I would rather be poor and have some friends who I can talk to and have a laugh with on a daily basis rather than a car. A car isn't going to make me happy.

I came across this article on Reddit and feel that it's quite relevant.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/01/stop-treating-tech-jerks-like-gods/

While people like Jobs and Musk have achieved some amazing things, it's questionable whether they needed to be such aggressively arrogant dingdongles to do so. Yet they continue to be revered, and a non-trivial amount of people look up to them as paragons of what it means to be successful in tech. As opposed to people like Gates, who has been arguably more successful and isn't a massive dingleberry.

I came across this article on Reddit and feel that it's quite relevant.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/01/stop-treating-tech-jerks-like-gods/

While people like Jobs and Musk have achieved some amazing things, it's questionable whether they needed to be such aggressively arrogant dingdongles to do so. Yet they continue to be revered, and a non-trivial amount of people look up to them as paragons of what it means to be successful in tech. As opposed to people like Gates, who has been arguably more successful and isn't a massive dingleberry.

Who would have thought that when all was said and done Bill Gates would end up being the good guy? :lol:

If you are pleased with what you have accomplished and you feel good about it, you are successful.

Being successful is relative. It all depends on what you want out of life.

Back