How do you feel about rally in GTS?

• Thread starter Tekku
  • 127 comments
I'm guessing that if your post count is in the 40s, you're good. It's the ones with less than 20 that you have to watch out for.

Not sure, but I think that's how it works.

I actually quite like it. The wheel feel and feedback is so much better than Dirt Rally (which I think has woeful FFB). Ruins the game. I had more fun playing Dirt on a controller than I did a wheel. The forces don't follow the terrain properly at all, it's incredibly off-putting and no amount of tweaking can fix it.

For me it's just completing the campaign rally's in gold and then i'm done with it
i hate it
night rally's i hate even more

Yeah I get bronze on those and move on. I may revisit for gold but by the time I get bronze I'm done for the moment.

It's too bad because the night rally at Colorado Springs is gorgeous. I tanked a mission race there just to drive slow and look at the tents all lit up and the fireworks in the second lap.

Last edited:
Out of all the stuff PD choose to drop or continue with into GT Sport, the rallying aspect is the most puzzling. It's like it was just lifted straight from GT5 with very little thought as how it ties in with the rest of GT Sport. Rallying has always been implemented half heartedly - little more than a time trial on a gravel surfaced race circuit, but given how they've stripped out a lot of elements that have always been a part of Gran Turismo that they feel are no longer what customers want, it seems odd that the rallying, which has always been universally slated, is one of the elements that's been included.

Awful physics aside, either give us some proper narrow stages or replicate a form of Rallycross with a small field of cars and some shorter circuits.

I guess I'm one of the few that enjoys the rally part.

Of course it's nowhere near a rally sim, but the fundamental way weight transfer is modeled is pretty decent on a wheel, and for me, it's just good fun, whether it's realistic or not.

Yeah, but have you tried Dirt, WRC or Loeb Rally? Any of the 3 will make you realize what a pos the rally is in this game.

Yeah, but have you tried Dirt, WRC or Loeb Rally? Any of the 3 will make you realize what a pos the rally is in this game.

I haven't played a rally game since WRC 1 & 2 (called 'extreme', I think) back in the early 00's.... both of which were enjoyable enough, but suffered from the typical 'rotate around the middle of the car' syndrome.

Most enjoyable one I ever played was Colin McRae Rally back in the late 90's. Australia, Finland and New Zealand were awesome in that one.

I've never played any other racing game... ever.
I've only played GT since #4.
I do have a fair bit of experience driving gravel/dirt "roads" at a high rate of speed (Jeep Cherokee that was built for it), and, in real life am quite comfortable with the Scandinavian flick, and running the brake and gas at the same time while crossed up.
While rally in GTS is not perfect, I feel it's the best so far... (definitely requires all assists be off to get the vehicle to react to what you are telling it).

I like it its fun after you get used to the drivingmechanics, i hope they add daily rallys to the races

I enjoy the Rally racing but it's totally bizarre and not technically good. Even during the Challenge Missions, you have to cut through the grass and spend very little turning time actually in the gravel, meaning that there's no traction difference between dirt, gravel, and grass... it's all just one giant loose slidey surface. There's also no ruts where you can dig your tire in to hold a corner... I'll stick to Dirt if I want to do real rally racing.

Additionally, the rally courses always felt tacked on and an over extension of the game's physics. It just seems like a waste of resources for them to push their game beyond Rally Cross where it's an even mix of dirt and tarmac.

I honestly haven't even done a rally course yet. Thing I got over 50 hours in on the game or something like that :-)

Heard it wasn't the best and from my prior experiences doing rally in Gran Turismo, I didn't feel the need to try it out. Plus I Got Dirt rally VR which I know Gran Turismo can't touch.

I honestly haven't even done a rally course yet. Thing I got over 50 hours in on the game or something like that :-)

Heard it wasn't the best and from my prior experiences doing rally in Gran Turismo, I didn't feel the need to try it out. Plus I Got Dirt rally VR which I know Gran Turismo can't touch.
Are you not looking to Gold all of the events?

For those that cannot believe some like it - are you pad or wheel, and are you "bronze and move on" or sticking with it until gold in the tests / circuit challenges?

It stinks. It stinks to high heaven! How DiRT Rally is compared to this, it just blows your mind! I can only fathom that is was included as an excuse to fulfill Kaz's desire to include a modern take on group B... And to boost the pitiful car and track count, easily that is.

I haven't played a rally game since WRC 1 & 2 (called 'extreme', I think) back in the early 00's.... both of which were enjoyable enough, but suffered from the typical 'rotate around the middle of the car' syndrome.

Most enjoyable one I ever played was Colin McRae Rally back in the late 90's. Australia, Finland and New Zealand were awesome in that one.
The rotate around the middle is a thing of the past and the current crop of titles are very, very good, with some seriously solid physics underneath them.

That's not to say they are perfect either, Dirt Rally for example has too much grip on gravel, despite being quite ugly and having really appaling audio SLRE is however very, very good in terms of physics.

WRC 7 has physics roughly on par with Dirt Rally (and WRC 5 and 6 should be avoided like the plague), but excellent stage design, some of which are massive in length and narrow in width.

For those that cannot believe some like it - are you pad or wheel, and are you "bronze and move on" or sticking with it until gold in the tests / circuit challenges?
I'm running a wheel and its not a case of not believing that people like it, each to their own in that regard. Its a case for me of not agreeing that what GTS has done with rally is accurate from a physics perspective.

Last edited:
One and the only thing that they really need have to be a perfect game ever, rebuilt a little bit a physics of driving rally cars on gravel. The good reason and good decision for Codemaster will be colloborate with Dirt or WRC companies. I know that Gt is always was the game, that proclaim Track Racing and they made it perfect throught the years.

One and the only thing that they really need have to be a perfect game ever, rebuilt a little bit a physics of driving rally cars on gravel. The good reason and good decision for Codemaster will be colloborate with Dirt or WRC companies. I know that Gt is always was the game, that proclaim Track Racing and they made it perfect throught the years.
They would need to do more than that alone.

No racing title on the market is perfect, not a single one, and in terms of physics GT still has quite a way to go.

Whether you like it or hate it, or think it's more realistic or less realistic (for the record I think it's enjoyable but rubbish, but the tracks are absolutely dreadful), there's one fundamental question about rally in GT Sport.

Why is it in the game at all - what purpose does it serve?

GT Sport's focus is esports. The entire game hangs off the online competition aspect - the Daily Races, the FIA Manufacturer and Nation events, and the mysterious disappearing PD Cup. Your driver/sportsmanship ratings, central components of your profile, depend on how you perform in these events. We have a small car list and a small track list for launch because the team had to concentrate on the categories required for the FIA events over everything else.

But rally isn't a part of that. There are no rally Daily Races and there are no rally events in Manufacturer (Gr.3 & Gr.4) or Nations cups. Admittedly I should add 'so far', but there's no evidence of these vehicles and circuits being anywhere near ranking events.

So why is there this entire game mode, with three tracks (nigh on 15% of the total track list, and can any of the Gr.X/1/3/4 cars even use them?) and ten cars?

At present it makes no sense that, given the priorities for launch, any time should have been spent on it at all.

They would need to do more than that alone.

No racing title on the market is perfect, not a single one, and in terms of physics GT still has quite a way to go.

We know the truth, and I am trying to keep in silent, for the time being when my dissatisfaction will be full.

But to tell the truth, what we are argued for? Kaz made a really enormous bunch of work, and it is visible, we can feel and touch it. If we just look back to the first GT and make a lader to the last one, we will see the whole "Mitsubishi":bowdown: Evolution and what he done for the gamers.:sly::sly::gtpflag: And I think we don't need to judge him so angry, - "We are ready to apologize him, if he will make an update, and access it for free:drool::dopey:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running a wheel and its not a case of not believing that people like it, each to their own in that regard. Its a case for me of not agreeing that what GTS has done with rally is accurate from a physics perspective.

I agree totally, if I want a decent rally sim I will play Dirt. Rallying in GT is not quite an arcade mini game, but it feels so far removed from circuit racing in GT, it's almost a "sub game" hidden within.

(for the record I think it's enjoyable but rubbish, but the tracks are absolutely dreadful), there's one fundamental question about rally in GT Sport.

Why is it in the game at all - what purpose does it serve?

Enjoyable but rubbish is a great summary. :lol:

Ref "what purpose does it serve" - I guess there are many parts of GT that are "not for me" and I wish they spent more time on the bits that "are to my liking", but ultimately it's not written "just for me". I'd drop rally, and scapes, for a better VR implementation, but I'm sure some would do the opposite.

It's a game that has been designed to cater to a wide market, and so I am happy to spend more time on the parts that "are to my liking" and less time on the bits that are a diversion or don't really interest me.

I guess my ethos is - Enjoy the bits of GT that are "for you", and be happy that others get enjoyment out of the parts that you don't - at least then those parts are not wasted.

I'm not sure what kind of rally sport they based the off road physics on for GT Sport but it's certainly not from one on this planet. Truly awful rallying and while I've got used to it and golded all the 'career' events it is so far removed from things like WRC, Dirt Rally, Dirt 4 and SLR it's laughable. I hope PD don't add additional content to this section of the game as it is a poor experience at best, no rally car slides like a polar bear on a tea tray, on a lake as it does in the game.

Funny how in "rallying" the road is miles wider than the actual racetrack :lol: The grip is ridiculous here. Why wouldn't they make this poor rally experience with a little tune for a rallycross event? Small contact allowed etc.. That would've made some sense and they could've included it in daily race event also, for those interested.

Back