How do you feel about rally in GTS?

• Thread starter Tekku
  • 127 comments
I'm not sure what kind of rally sport they based the off road physics on for GT Sport but it's certainly not from one on this planet. Truly awful rallying and while I've got used to it and golded all the 'career' events it is so far removed from things like WRC, Dirt Rally, Dirt 4 and SLR it's laughable. I hope PD don't add additional content to this section of the game as it is a poor experience at best, no rally car slides like a polar bear on a tea tray, on a lake as it does in the game.

When I get my car sideways inches from the corner of the turn I feel like I'm mowing a lawn.

Hate every rally event and didn't look forward to any of them.

Luckily I golded them all so never have to touch them again.

Im stuck with Fishermans ranch final LAP, did already everything on gold in Circuit Experience, this one is pure hell, any help?

Im stuck with Fishermans ranch final LAP, did already everything on gold in Circuit Experience, this one is pure hell, any help?

I switched to bumper cam instead of cockpit and got gold within a couple tries.

It's those switchbacks midway through that kill you. Make sure you beat the golf to the first one and get to the bumper of the Focus ST at the last one. Also there is a windy straight that you can gun it if you get the correct line.

Last edited:
I don't bother getting gold at any rally event. It's nice to have gold everywhere but the rally events are just to difficult IMO. Maybe its because of the weird physics, i guess Dirt Rally got offroad physics right, in Forza Horizon 2/3, it's at least fun. In GT Sport, i guess it's neither fun or realistic.

To be honest, rallying in GTS is actually really quite nice. Miles better to me than GT6, where rallying felt more of a chore, just felt void of a lot of feel; something I felt a lot with GT6's physics (hence why I preferred GT5 in that regard).

Otherwise, rallying is quite enjoyable in GTS. The one thing missing is proper rallying events à la GT2 or 3 (haven't got to GTS' rally events yet so). Whilst rallying has never been GT or PD's forte, they have at least been able to make it fun without making it OTT. And so far, physically at least, I'd say GTS has managed that so far from what I've experienced, having thrashed the Grp. B Evo round Fishermans Ranch.

I switched to bumper cam instead of cockpit and got it within a couple tries.

It's those switchbacks midway through that kill you. Make sure you beat the golf to the first one and get to the bumper of the Focus ST at the last one. Also there is a windy straight that you can gun it if you get the correct line.

Circuit experience final LAP is just time trial with ridiculous time to beat, there is still 3-4 sec and you can do dozens of mistakes, especially in double slow S turn on top of hill.

Ref "what purpose does it serve" - I guess there are many parts of GT that are "not for me" and I wish they spent more time on the bits that "are to my liking", but ultimately it's not written "just for me". I'd drop rally, and scapes, for a better VR implementation, but I'm sure some would do the opposite.

It's a game that has been designed to cater to a wide market, and so I am happy to spend more time on the parts that "are to my liking" and less time on the bits that are a diversion or don't really interest me.

I guess my ethos is - Enjoy the bits of GT that are "for you", and be happy that others get enjoyment out of the parts that you don't - at least then those parts are not wasted.
Whether it's for me or not, it's a completely incongruous part of the game. The game's core - esports and the FIA championships - doesn't, and I'd guess can't*, use rally. At all. So a minimum of 15% of the tracks and about 6% of the car list is not involved in the bit that PD had to prioritise above all else. It seems an incredibly strange decision to have such a focus on bringing the game out with only the things needed for the esports competitions that the car and track list is... limited, only to slap in 10 cars and 3 tracks you won't use for esports.

But then there's the BMW i3. And that's in Gr.X.

* I say "can't" as I believe that fewer cars are allowed on a rally circuit at once, and can you imagine the effect that rally would have on SR? That notwithstanding, rally cars don't even race like that...

We know the truth, and I am trying to keep in silent, for the time being when my dissatisfaction will be full.

But to tell the truth, what we are argued for? Kaz made a really enormous bunch of work, and it is visible, we can feel and touch it. If we just look back to the first GT and make a lader to the last one, we will see the whole "Mitsubishi":bowdown: Evolution and what he done for the gamers.:sly::sly::gtpflag: And I think we don't need to judge him so angry, - "We are ready to apologize him, if he will make an update, and access it for free:drool::dopey:

We need answers...:confused:

For those that cannot believe some like it - are you pad or wheel, and are you "bronze and move on" or sticking with it until gold in the tests / circuit challenges?
Wheel, and aim for gold... so far all gold except 1 rally and that stupid 200m braking test... that is so frustrating for me I'll live with the silver.
I agree that the rally is no where near good, simply stating "I" think it's the best GT has done so far.

Although this is a GT game, rally implementation is really good. That's a different story why they force from time to time to put in it the game.
With real rally cross tracks they could improve it like pCars2 does...

Although this is a GT game, rally implementation is really good. That's a different story why they force from time to time to put in it the game.
With real rally cross tracks they could improve it like pCars2 does...

I think rally cross is as far as they can push their physics engine here. and we're talking consistently even dirt/gravel mixed with tarmac.

I think they could handle vintage versions of Pike's Peak though, since that course appears to have large consistent swaths of surfaces. At half a mile less than the Nordschleife it would be interesting if they could create the whole thing in one long map since most games have to break it up into stages.

speaking of which, how cool would it be if they had a Pike's Peak DLC with different iterations of the course (Paved and unpaved) along with the road course?

After all the talk pre release about how much better Rally is now, I was eager to try it when GTS was released. I was disappointed to learn that it is exactly the same as it has always been since I started playing GT starting with GT3. Nothing really has changed. I'm sure here and there some things are better or worse now, but for the overall experience, it feels exactly the same as in Gran Turismo 3 or any other Gran Turismo since then, and I also didn't like it back then.

It's as badly implemented as it always has been in GT. The fact that it's in the game is really just mismanagement from PD. GT Sport has a prologue-level amount of content (read, not full game) and the fact its the first GT on the PS4 four years after it was released says to me that they shouldn'tve been wasting precious production time on pseudo-rallycross.

Gold in the rally races is easy if you don’t over drive the cars. Diving in way too fast and pitching sideways to try and scrub speed no longer works.

Brake in time, bring the throttle in once the car settles and stay off the walls, minimal sliding, gold.

Gold in the rally races is easy if you don’t over drive the cars. Diving in way too fast and pitching sideways to try and scrub speed no longer works.

Brake in time, bring the throttle in once the car settles and stay off the walls, minimal sliding, gold.
So not rally basically

I use throttle control mostly for rally, hardly never use the brake much.

I use throttle control mostly for rally, hardly never use the brake much.

I use them a lot, some of the hairpins after a decent straight there is too much speed to roll off. But if it works for you, I say keep it up!

How many people have actually drove fast on dirt roads?

I used to race (not an official race but driving fast) on farm dirt roads when I was young and driving on dirt in GTS feels almost exactly the same. The rocks and gravel act like ball bearings and it really is like driving on ice. It's actually very difficult to drive on dirt.

I suspect the other games like Dirt and Project Cars make it easier for gamers because... well you take a guess.

That said, I hate driving on dirt in real life or in GTS.

Personally rally in Sport occupies he same place it always has since GT2: an afterthought and a rquestiinable use of development resources IMHO considering how half-baked it is.

GT barely pays lip service to Formula 1 or open wheel racing in general, but seem to care more about even that than rally.

How many people have actually drove fast on dirt roads?

I used to race (not an official race but driving fast) on farm dirt roads when I was young and driving on dirt in GTS feels almost exactly the same. The rocks and gravel act like ball bearings and it really is like driving on ice. It's actually very difficult to drive on dirt.

I suspect the other games like Dirt and Project Cars make it easier for gamers because... well you take a guess.

That said, I hate driving on dirt in real life or in GTS.

Rally driving is not easier in Dirt. I had to stop playing Dirt because I can't drink and play that game at the same time without crashing.

The problem with GT rally driving is how the surface feels equally loose and slippery exactly the same everywhere. There's no difference between dirt, grass, or even physics from ruts that pull you in or bounce you out. It's just over simplified.

Rally driving is not easier in Dirt. I had to stop playing Dirt because I can't drink and play that game at the same time without crashing.

The problem with GT rally driving is how the surface feels equally loose and slippery exactly the same everywhere. There's no difference between dirt, grass, or even physics from ruts that pull you in or bounce you out. It's just over simplified.

Just got done playing Dirt for an hour or so. Correct, the driving in Dirt could definitely not be called easier, it is extremely technical and requires fast reflexes and correct decision making. The difference is that the car and it's physics react correctly to your input, not like you are a Polar Bear on ice skates.

However, I can't drink and play GTS without crashing either. :)

Also, I was raised on a farm and lived on a dirt road , I tore ass up and down those roads and no the Rally in GTS feels nothing like racing on a dirt road. More like racing on an ice skating rink.

Latest Posts

Back